PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Season 5 is worth buying this decade?

Kanetsidohi
December 12th, 2008, 05:59 AM
I have seasons 1 to 6 of SG1, and I'm planning buying season 7, and 8 but, I'm not sure seasons 9, and 10 are worth the money right now, maybe ten years from now when Stargate would be ooold news, and I got them on discount.

I have season 1 of SGA, and I'll buy seasons 2, and 3 ASAP. Season 4 wasn't that great but I can watch it again so it's in my list too.

I've read a lot about Season 5 but watching tv is free (mostly) so, for me, the ultimate question is:

In your opinion, do you think season 5 has enough good in it so you think is worth buying it?

:confused: Just asking.

jelgate
December 12th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Before I could answer such a question I would need to know the kind of characters and plot arcs you like

Kanetsidohi
December 12th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Before I could answer such a question I would need to know the kind of characters and plot arcs you like

Well, I was thinking more about a personal opinion. I've tried to word the question carefully but I can't properly translated it into English. :o

So, would you spend your money buying SGA season 5, or rather spend such money on other series/movies/games/etc because you didn't like it that much really?

Col.Ads
December 12th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Buy Stargate SG1 First and complete your collection buy Stargate Atlantis in order so buy season 1 then 2 then 3 etc etc.

You will find Atlantis seris 5 will probably cost you 3 seasons of SG1 when it is released so you would get better value for money if you bought seasons of SG1 first

Kanetsidohi
December 12th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Buy Stargate SG1 First and complete your collection buy Stargate Atlantis in order so buy season 1 then 2 then 3 etc etc.

You will find Atlantis seris 5 will probably cost you 3 seasons of SG1 when it is released so you would get better value for money if you bought seasons of SG1 first

Yes, newly realeased season are indeed more expensive, and they're even more expensive down here!!! But the reason I'm not buying SG1 9/10 anytime soon is because I didn't enjoy them that much. :(

Maybe I should save my money for a while before thinking about buying any Stargate stuff.

Thanks!

Laura Dove
December 12th, 2008, 06:37 AM
In your opinion, do you think season 5 has enough good in it so you think is worth buying it?

I intend to buy it when it is available, because I'm the collector type of person, but mostly... to get good resolution screen captures of Todd. :S But in all honesty, there is only one episode so far I feel I would truly want to re-watch whenever I feel like it: "The Queen". If Todd's future proves less infuriating, I may be able to watch "Infection" again too.

As a whole, while there were several episodes I liked or even loved, season 5 felt like a collection of disconnected standalones without any big picture in sight - even the episodes that were supposed to tie loose ends like "Ghost in the Machine" and "The Prodigal". All the episodes are set in the same context, yes, but without a bigger story that advances over time. That makes them much less interesting to watch again later for me.

Linda06
December 12th, 2008, 06:43 AM
In a word....No.....Apart from two or three eps it's been a rather disappointing season....Instead of going out with a bang it's going out with a whimper....

(IMHO ;))

Kanetsidohi
December 12th, 2008, 06:44 AM
I intend to buy it when it is available, because I'm the collector type of person.

I understand that.:) Thankfully, I overcomed some of my need.

As a whole, while there were several episodes I liked or even loved, season 5 felt like a collection of disconnected standalones without any big picture in sight - even the episodes that were supposed to tie loose ends like "Ghost in the Machine" and "The Prodigal". All the episodes are set in the same context, yes, but without a bigger story that advances over time. That makes them much less interesting to watch again later for me.

I also like big arcs but, it sounds good enough anyway.

Thanks!

Kanetsidohi
December 12th, 2008, 06:48 AM
In a word....No.....Apart from two or three eps it's been a rather disappointing season....Instead of going out with a bang it's going out with a whimper....

(IMHO ;))

Bummer :( I really loved SGA when it started.

Thanks!

g.o.d
December 12th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Well, I was thinking more about a personal opinion. I've tried to word the question carefully but I can't properly translated it into English. :o

So, would you spend your money buying SGA season 5, or rather spend such money on other series/movies/games/etc because you didn't like it that much really?

no, it's not worth of it. I would rather buy another series, movies or games

Linda06
December 12th, 2008, 07:07 AM

Thanks!

Me too :( Let's just say, alot of the eps don't even feel like stargate anymore :(

Briangate78
December 12th, 2008, 07:17 AM

Thanks!

Season 5 is worth it. Very character driven and some really epic eps. So it is a worthy buy.

I know everything, so listen to me. ;) :p

prion
December 12th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I have seasons 1 to 6 of SG1, and I'm planning buying season 7, and 8 but, I'm not sure seasons 9, and 10 are worth the money right now, maybe ten years from now when Stargate would be ooold news, and I got them on discount.

I have season 1 of SGA, and I'll buy seasons 2, and 3 ASAP. Season 4 wasn't that great but I can watch it again so it's in my list too.

I've read a lot about Season 5 but watching tv is free (mostly) so, for me, the ultimate question is:

Hard to answer. I'll buy it, as it's the last season, and there are some eps, like "Search & Rescue," I can watch over and over again.

But hmm, should I wait for the ultra-deluxe-platinum-we've got the lost scene from "Trio" edition that comes with a piece of DNA from David Hewlett embedded in a mystery DVD disk?? Hmm, nope. I'll get it now, as then, I've got it. :)

Linda06
December 12th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Season 5 is worth it. Very character driven and some really epic eps. So it is a worthy buy.

I know everything, so listen to me. ;) :p

Did you forget the golden rule again :mckay:I am always right :p

jelgate
December 12th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Me too :( Let's just say, alot of the eps don't even feel like stargate anymore :(your version of Stargate:P

jenks
December 12th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Find another way to watch it, then make your own mind up.

Linda06
December 12th, 2008, 10:32 AM
your version of Stargate:P

Well my version of stargate is all about the team with team eps and team interaction :D and S5 has been rather lacking in these departments!

Falcon Horus
December 12th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I haven't gotten season 4 - and I hardly think I'll go for season 5. maybe when it's in discount a few years from now.

Or I'll ask for a rip from the few episodes that I sorta liked.

I own all of SG1, and the first three of SGA, on DVD.

silvercomet
December 13th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Hard to answer. I'll buy it, as it's the last season, and there are some eps, like "Search & Rescue," I can watch over and over again.

Ditto. This season isn't any more the Atlantis I love. Too many episodes and a story arc I don't care for. But there are still episodes which are just great.

Besides, watching Sheppard and McKay is reason enough for me to buy the DVDs. ;) :D And I like the extras.

The movie will be a different matter. :S

Lythisrose
December 13th, 2008, 09:34 AM
I think the reason to buy it would be the commentaries and extra features, not the episodes themselves. Those you can get from Amazon or iTunes or something...

Briangate78
December 13th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I would buy the DVD for these eps, which have a very high rewatch value because they were that good, imo...

Search and Rescue
Broken Ties
Deadalus Variations
Ghost in the Machine
The Shrine
The Queen
The Lost Tribe
First Contact
Outsiders
The Prodigal
Remnants
Infection

I would likely never watch these eps again...

Whispers
Inquisition
BrainStorm
Identity

So you judge if it is worth buying? Plus, the last 2 eps look very very promising and could make my top list. :)

Starry Waters
December 13th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I would buy the DVD for these eps, which have a very high rewatch value because they were that good, imo...

Search and Rescue
Broken Ties
Deadalus Variations
Ghost in the Machine
The Shrine
The Queen
The Lost Tribe
First Contact
Outsiders
The Prodigal
Remnants
Infection

Whispers
Inquisition
BrainStorm
Identity

So you judge if it is worth buying? Plus, the last 2 eps look very very promising and could make my top list. :)

I'll buy it. My list is pretty much in line with the list above. I liked Whispers a bit more than a lot of people did. I hated BS and Identity and if they were on separate discs, I'd use them for frisbees though. :D

Briangate78
December 13th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I'll buy it. My list is pretty much in line with the list above. I liked Whispers a bit more than a lot of people did. I hated BS and Identity and if they were on separate discs, I'd use them for frisbees though. :D

It's been a great season, but I think Season 4 was better. Nothing wrong with that since it was still a good season. I seriously think the producers wrote this season thinking there would be a 6th, oh wait they did, they even had Season 6 planned out for the most part. :p

Whispers was just dissapointing with how they under used Beckett.

Replicator Fifth
December 13th, 2008, 10:00 AM

Search and Rescue
Broken Ties
Deadalus Variations
Ghost in the Machine
The Shrine
The Queen
The Lost Tribe
First Contact
Outsiders
The Prodigal
Remnants
Infection

Whispers
Inquisition
BrainStorm
Identity

four out of 16 eps is a pretty good score. so yeah get Season five

bluealien
December 13th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I'd buy it just for Search and Rescue alone.

Other great eps were

First Contact
The Prodigal
Infection
The Queen

Eps I would rewatch for the shep whump:D

The Seed
Remnants

Occasionally rewatch..

Gitm
Outsiders
Lost Tribe
Whispers
Daedalus Variations
Broken Ties

Eps I'll never watch again:mckay:

The Shrine
Inquisiton
Brain Storm
Tracker
Identity...

I'm hoping Vegas will be up there in the great ep category...:)

Linda06
December 13th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Ooh can I make a list too http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/studsmatta.gif (http://www.millan.net)

Eps I loved :D

The Prodigal
The Queen
Search and rescue
First contact
Daedalus variations

Eps I thought were ok :o

The seed
Broken ties
Outsiders
Tracker

Eps I thought were not worth my time :mckay:

BRAIN STORM ( The biggest waste of my time....EVER)
The Shrine
Inquisition
Whispers
Lost tribe
Ghost in the machine

I haven't seen Remnants or Identity yet...Not liking what i've heard though :S

Falcon Horus
December 13th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I think the reason to buy it would be the commentaries and extra features...

Unfortunately those have lost some serious quality as well... I remember I turned the commentary of Echoes off becuase it was just plain stupid.

Lythisrose
December 13th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Unfortunately those have lost some serious quality as well... I remember I turned the commentary of Echoes off becuase it was just plain stupid.

Yeah, some are better than others, that's for sure. :)

GateofDOOM
December 13th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Yeah, some are better than others, that's for sure. :)

I loved the Martin, Martin and David "Martin" ones in season one. :P

Oh and I didn't buy season four...which was a tossup and I certainly won't be buying season five as I couldn't even be bothered to watch half the episodes. But hey, everybody has different views. You probably shouldn't go by mine, I loved season 9 and 10 of SG-1. :)

GoSpikey
December 17th, 2008, 02:45 AM
NO ONE can say to you that they think you should get it, as all opinions are personal.

It's best to just read the synopses for the episodes, and decide for yourself.

Mitchell82
December 17th, 2008, 10:40 AM

In the end it's a matter of opinion. In my opinion season 5 has been the best season of Atlantis with great story arcs and great filler eps as well. So IMO yes it is.

Mitchell82
December 17th, 2008, 10:42 AM

Search and Rescue
Broken Ties
Deadalus Variations
Ghost in the Machine
The Shrine
The Queen
The Lost Tribe
First Contact
Outsiders
The Prodigal
Remnants
Infection

Whispers
Inquisition
BrainStorm
Identity

The only one of those that isn't the best is Whispers and Inquisition though there isn't a single ep that I skip watching but there are a few I pay closer attention to than others.

Major lee adama
December 18th, 2008, 07:08 AM

(IMHO ;))

100% agreement this season has been disappointing

Infinite-Possibilities
December 18th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I would personally say "yes definately".

Atlantis1
December 21st, 2008, 08:58 PM
I've bought the other 4 seasons of SGA and I intend to buy season 5 as well. I'll buy any of the movies that come out. I have really enjoyed SGA. I'll keep buying the books as well.

hedwig
December 25th, 2008, 09:30 AM

(IMHO ;))

I'm in agreement with the above comment, especially the "going out with a whimper ... " part. :-(

kymeric
December 26th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Seriously? Its only 40 bucks, thats not even a DATE or a night at the bar with the guys, and it takes a minimum of 20 hrs to watch.

I guess dont buy it if you dont want to, but why would you tell people? I didnt by any gasoline for my car today, isnt that exciting?

melfan
December 26th, 2008, 12:09 PM
NO ONE can say to you that they think you should get it, as all opinions are personal.

It's best to just read the synopses for the episodes, and decide for yourself.

Well said Spikey

What I think is good might not mean you think it's good, a few posters here doesn't care about the Shrine all that much, while I actually liked that episode

Mitchell82
December 26th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I'm in agreement with the above comment, especially the "going out with a whimper ... " part. :-(

Not me. It is going out with a bang IMO.

Infinite-Possibilities
December 28th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Not me. It is going out with a bang IMO.

Is there anything that somehow is a bang and a whimper at the same time? Or some sort of explosion that is half way between them? Because that's how it is signing out for me.

Mitchell82
December 29th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Is there anything that somehow is a bang and a whimper at the same time? Or some sort of explosion that is half way between them? Because that's how it is signing out for me.

Many would say Enterprise did that. The last season was great and the finale (while I did enjoy it) certainly was not the best.

Luna
January 3rd, 2009, 08:09 PM
I plan on buying season five as soon as it comes out so I don't have to watch Scifi to see them again. And for the bonus features.

Kanetsidohi
September 3rd, 2009, 06:47 AM
I'm answering my own question! :D

Well, SGA season 5 was finally aired in my country. Considering that it was the last season, I feel it's a shame that some episodes were wasted on guess characters and/or pointless subjects, and the very end with Rodney and Keller as the happy couple? Yuck!

But I'm surprised to say that I liked it better than season 4!!! :) Some of the interaction between the main characters was waaay better than the previous season. So, yes! I think is worth buying it.

Finally, a good ending gave me closure regarding the Stargate franchise. Time to move on.

¡Adiós! :cool:

Linda06
September 3rd, 2009, 08:59 AM
There was interaction between main characters in S5? :confused:

Huh I must have blinked and missed it *shrugs*

:p

jelgate
September 3rd, 2009, 09:45 AM
Poor interaction is still interaction;)

Claire
September 3rd, 2009, 09:58 AM
Yes! I didn't watch Atlantis when it :sheppard:ed on Sky One. I didn't watch seasons One to Four. I got them on DVD. I must say that I thought Atlantis was quite funny. It is ashame the series has been cancelled. Yes! Ido think it is worth buying.

Falcon Horus
September 3rd, 2009, 11:04 AM
There was interaction between main characters in S5? :confused:

Huh I must have blinked and missed it *shrugs*

I think I missed it too... just weird. And I know from my last visit with Carson that there's nothing wrong with my lemming eye-sight.

Ah, that could be it. *nods*

Linda06
September 3rd, 2009, 11:33 AM

Well I know John and Rodney kinda interacted....If you call acting like 5 year old playing with remote control cars interaction :rolleyes: But Teyla? She interacted with bambino.....ALOT :mckay: Ronon? hmm he may have interacted with a wall *shrugs*

I think I missed it too... just weird. And I know from my last visit with Carson that there's nothing wrong with my lemming eye-sight.

Ah, that could be it. *nods*

Well that's good to know your eyesight is a ok :D

gottaluvit
September 3rd, 2009, 01:35 PM
I bought season 5 to complete my collection, but there are only around 5 episodes on it that I'll watch more then once. I love team interaction and there are far too many eps that are lacking that in the 5th season IMO.

Bonus is the interview with JF on the extras, that was probably the thing that swayed me to purchase it because I couldn't make up my mind about buying it at all until I heard about that.

mrs.information
September 3rd, 2009, 08:42 PM
i've got season 5 i think its a great season ending wasnt the best but still deffinetly worth your money...but thats just my opinion

wraith queen inga
September 3rd, 2009, 09:28 PM

Yes, You should DEFINITELY buy it. :)

Falcon Horus
September 4th, 2009, 08:24 AM
i've got season 5 i think its a great season ending wasnt the best but still deffinetly worth your money...but thats just my opinion

So, that should actually be "worth my money", if it is your opinion of course. ;)

Linda06
September 4th, 2009, 10:30 AM
So, that should actually be "worth my money", if it is your opinion of course. ;)

Well I know I ain't spending all that money on S5 just to get 2 or 3 decent eps :p