PDA

View Full Version : The 4th wall

wkw427
December 11th, 2008, 03:33 AM
I think if they broke the 4th wall in the Atlantis movie, it would be so funny. If you don't know what I mean, have the characters refrence their show, or in the rare case, realize they are on TV or something..

In season 8, on time Carter was humming the SG1 theme, just because it was funny (and Tapping forgot the Macguyver music..), but it would be so great if they just have one scene where Ronon or Mckay are watching some "cheep scifi coverup show called Stargate"

What do you think?

:ronan:Shut up
:mckay:We're watching TV
:teyla:What are you watching?
:sheppard:Some cheep scifi flich called Stargate. It's a coverup for the SGC
:mckay:Look at all those plotholes and character shields..
:sheppard:I still think I can play Captain Kirk better
:ronan:Yea, in the past week, John O'Nial has lost all the funny..
:teyla:So, we aren't going to save the galaxy today? Or tomarrow?
:mckay:Shut up, some weird guy has to do impossible math in under 30 seconds to save the day. He shouldn't be able to, but
:ronan:He just did, wow.

Crazedwraith
December 11th, 2008, 03:41 AM
Carter wasn't humming Stargate she was humming Wormhole Xtreme which already fulfils that purpose.

And no them watching it and breaking the fourth wall would not be fun, the already over did that with Wormhole Extreme, Citizen Joe and 200.

Sllimy
December 11th, 2008, 03:45 AM
My favourite 4th wall breaking was in 'Family Ties' we're Carter and Jacek discuss the lack of support for the 'Stargate Programme'.

jelgate
December 11th, 2008, 04:29 AM
I'm all for a little breaking of the 4th wall but what you describing is too much

Heqet
December 11th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Mmm, that would be funny, but breaking down the fourth wall is more SG-1's business. I do not think it would work as well in Atlantis.

SG1Commander
December 11th, 2008, 04:53 AM
Carter wasn't humming Stargate she was humming Wormhole Xtreme which already fulfils that purpose.

And no them watching it and breaking the fourth wall would not be fun, the already over did that with Wormhole Extreme, Citizen Joe and 200.
Actually, TPTB said that Carter was humming the SG-1 theme.

I also don't think that breaking the 4th wall would be a good idea on Atlantis.

Pharaoh Atem
December 11th, 2008, 05:27 AM
The 4th wall??

what do you mean

Insipid
December 11th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Breaking the fourth wall is more of a Boston Legal thing than a Stargate thing.

michellec24_7
December 11th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Breaking the fourth wall... hmmm??? Not really sure how that could work on Atlantis, do they even have TV there?? Maybe have some pictures up in the background of various scenes?? Hmm... no I can't really think of a good idea for that... :)

Kratos_Goauld_of_War
December 11th, 2008, 06:05 AM
The 4th wall??

what do you mean

The fourth wall is essentially your TV screen. Think of a sitcom you have the three wall of any given room in a house and then the "4th wall", which in a house you would have a wall there. This is where the audience is. Breaking the 4th wall means to interact directly with the audience in the show. Having a character in the show make a reference to, in fact, being a character on the show or to point some random flaw out to the audience directly. It can be a little on the cheese filled side and best done once every, let's say, 10 years and then forgotten about.

Floo
December 11th, 2008, 06:48 AM

Nopes.. watch it again she was definitely humming the intro tune to SG1..

Crazedwraith
December 11th, 2008, 07:06 AM

*sigh* I was joking. Besides we never heard the theme to Wormhole Xtreme, just saw a promo reel; there's every chance in universe that could be the WX theme.

Anon
December 11th, 2008, 07:12 AM
yes, that would be very funny

A Heart of Goa'uld
December 11th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Maybe something with sound during ship battles in space.

Shep ~ "Wow, that was loud!"
McKay ~ "What was?"
Shep ~ "The hive that just blew up!"
McKay ~ "There is no sound in a vacuum."
*Shep looks directly into camera*
Shep ~ "Thank you Sound Effects."

I wasn't sure how to end that but that was my little idea. I don't want them breaking the 4th wall too much (a la Family Guy).

Floo
December 11th, 2008, 11:06 AM
lol, like 200.....

fyere
December 11th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I don't know if it counts - but Ben Browder looks right into the camera by accident in Continuum. He must be looking at US! :D

Pharaoh Atem
December 11th, 2008, 12:45 PM

yes she was :)

Pharaoh Atem
December 11th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I don't know if it counts - but Ben Browder looks right into the camera by accident in Continuum. He must be looking at US! :D

that was funny :P

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
December 11th, 2008, 01:07 PM
"He's not a Jaffa, but he plays one on TV"
That was the most obvious fourth wall break.

Pharaoh Atem
December 11th, 2008, 02:18 PM
"sounds like a good idea for a tv show"

jack reffering to wormhole extreme

wkw427
December 11th, 2008, 02:41 PM
They can have DVDs on atlantis :p

Pharaoh Atem
December 11th, 2008, 03:25 PM
They can have DVDs on atlantis :p

how's that a issue???

wkw427
December 11th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Well, they could get the DVDs of the coverup, and talk about it..

Homer 120
December 11th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Didn't they do this kind of thing in S10 of SG1?

Mitchell: They cancelled it, really? I didn't even know the new season had started.

Or something like that anyway

Replicator Fifth
December 11th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I think if they broke the 4th wall in the Atlantis movie, it would be so funny. If you don't know what I mean, have the characters refrence their show, or in the rare case, realize they are on TV or something..

In season 8, on time Carter was humming the SG1 theme, just because it was funny (and Tapping forgot the Macguyver music..), but it would be so great if they just have one scene where Ronon or Mckay are watching some "cheep scifi coverup show called Stargate"

What do you think?

:mckay:Shut up, some weird guy has to do impossible math in under 30 seconds to save the day. He shouldn't be able to, but
Very good idea!
it would be funny!

maybe you could write a fanfic if they don't do something similar!

*goofy smiles* :D

Replicator Fifth
December 11th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Mmm, that would be funny, but breaking down the fourth wall is more SG-1's business. I do not think it would work as well in Atlantis.

Very true! still would make a good fanfiction though.

Splitsecond
December 11th, 2008, 05:12 PM
The ultimate 4th wall break would be for Rodney to end up in an alternate reality where he is an actor on wormhole xtreme and has to convince the cast that there is a stargate and that he is a scientist

Replicator Fifth
December 11th, 2008, 05:39 PM
The ultimate 4th wall break would be for Rodney to end up in an alternate reality where he is an actor on wormhole xtreme and has to convince the cast that there is a stargate and that he is a scientist

he could end up in an asylum and be mis-diagnosed as a Schizophrenic with delusions of Grandeur. also how would he get back?

wkw427
December 12th, 2008, 02:21 PM
https://secure.hex.studiocoast.com/koolfuntoys/images/productimages/Magic%20Pony%20Lilac%20LHS%20Web.jpg

Alternate Reality you say? How alternate you fail to specify.

stargater1990
December 12th, 2008, 10:13 PM

What do you think?

how would they watch tv on atlantis? unless charter has seriously extended their coverage area:D

Replicator Fifth
December 12th, 2008, 10:58 PM
:d

michellec24_7
December 13th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Maybe on Atlantis they could make a reference to sending back some old mission reports for a re-written series of wormhole extreme??

:ronan: What u doin? Wanna spar?

:sheppard: Can't, Woolsey asked me to look through all these old reports, apparently some need de-classifying to be sent back to Earth for some 'TV programme'

:ronan: TV programme??

:sheppard: Yeah, some kinda cover-up for the Stargate programme, Wormhole extreme or something...

:ronan: Hmmm sounds weird. Anyway, wanna spar?

wkw427
December 13th, 2008, 04:46 PM
They have eletricity, they can get TVs and DVD players...

That is like saying..

How can they have earth-made laptops?

Reiko
December 13th, 2008, 05:10 PM
In general, breaking the 4th wall is considered very bad form. I love how SG pokes fun at itself, but I think some of the ideas in this thread, whilst amusing, are going too far. :o

PG15
December 13th, 2008, 05:37 PM

What? When did that happen?

No to the obvious 4th wall breaking; do it subtle, like they've done in the past.

Like...I don't know...naming a minor character Joe Flanigan.

"Dr. Flanigan was in the lab when it exploded."
"Oh, that's too bad. What's for lunch?"

And so forth.

Agent_Dark
December 13th, 2008, 05:38 PM
In general, breaking the 4th wall is considered very bad form.

but not always. See Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. In fact, get Kevin Smith to write and direct the next sg movie - Jay and Silent Bob hit Atlantis. That would be awesome

jenks
December 13th, 2008, 05:44 PM
CJ looks at the camera in Continuum as well... amateurs :p

Splitsecond
December 14th, 2008, 02:45 AM
How about during a scene set in space you see a wraith hive ship that the sfx department have made smaller for artistic effect, then it cuts to inside a puddle jumper and Shepperd says 'doesn't that thing look smaller to you?', Rodney answers 'they're not all the same size you know. There, done.' and the movie continues.

Rac80
December 14th, 2008, 03:18 AM

What do you think?

Maybe something with sound during ship battles in space.

Shep ~ "Wow, that was loud!"
McKay ~ "What was?"
Shep ~ "The hive that just blew up!"
McKay ~ "There is no sound in a vacuum."
*Shep looks directly into camera*
Shep ~ "Thank you Sound Effects."

I wasn't sure how to end that but that was my little idea. I don't want them breaking the 4th wall too much (a la Family Guy).

thanks for the laughs people! green for you! :D

he could end up in an asylum and be mis-diagnosed as a Schizophrenic with delusions of Grandeur. also how would he get back?

who would want mckay back! Not me, the show would be better without him. :P (I already think he has delusions of grandeur! :P:P)

Schrodinger's Cat
December 14th, 2008, 12:54 PM
"He's not a Jaffa, but he plays one on TV"
That was the most obvious fourth wall break.

Which episode was this from?

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
December 14th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Which episode was this from?

Fallen

jenks
December 14th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Pretty sure they used that joke in Atlantis too, but with Beckett...

Crazedwraith
December 14th, 2008, 02:14 PM

That's weird. Beckett's not even a jaffa. :P

Replicator Fifth
December 14th, 2008, 06:39 PM
That's weird. Beckett's not even a jaffa. :P

;)

wkw427
December 16th, 2008, 03:28 AM
He's not a doctor, but plays on on tv?

That would make more sense

McKay to a villager about John, infront of John:

Nah, don't worry. He's not an intergalatic warrior of Atlantis hellbent on saving the Human race, he just palys on on TV!

John: :'(

Pharaoh Atem
December 16th, 2008, 04:07 AM

poising the well

BuggyMan
December 21st, 2008, 07:39 PM
Wikipedia:
"Breaking the fourth wall" refers to a situation in which a character reveals his or her awareness of the audience.

That never happened.

Amaunet
December 29th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I think it's something that needs to be done subtly..so that it's almost hard to pick up on ;)