Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do we even want The Wrait to stop feeding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do we even want The Wrait to stop feeding?

Say we do perfect that drug, (unlikely at the moment) and widely disburse it among the Wraith population. What then?

Well, now their dependant on normal food, so the Galaxy now has millions of more mouths to feed on the same amount of infrastructure. We let them need ordinary food and people are going to start starving and it won't be wraith, after all what's the one thing they know how to do? Take food from other people by force.

Things will go on same old, same old but rather than the occasional culling; human populaces are going to constantly enslaved to the Wraith to provide food.
    Last edited by Crazedwraith; 11 December 2008, 06:41 AM.
    sigpic
    Banner By JME2

You're forgetting that by this point in the series millions of humans have already been killed, so the resources that would have been used on them would now be consumed by the Wraith. Also, the show is set in the Pegasus Dwarf Galaxy meaning there's probably plenty of uninhabited planets out there the Wraith could use for agriculture. Keep in mind that because the Wraith have hyperspace technology they won't be dependent on the Stargate system for their new found agricultural needs.

Comment

I'd like to see some Wraith accept a refined retro-virus and team up against the rest of the Wraith with the expedition and Travellers in one big epic **** storm of a battle.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
        Well, now their dependant on normal food, so the Galaxy now has millions of more mouths to feed on the same amount of infrastructure. We let them need ordinary food and people are going to start starving and it won't be wraith, after all what's the one thing they know how to do? Take food from other people by force.
        Wraith grow their space ships. I trust it wouldn't be long before they learn to artificially grow food.
        My Stargate Atlantis fanfictions - Wraith font
        Todd contacts Atlantis once more... (spoilers up to season 4) 1. Glimpse Into the Evil | 2. Of Wraith and Men (in progress)
        sigpic

Comment

If it comes down to it people can live off eating tree bark and licking slime off rocks. The wraith should have considerable more options

Comment

The galaxy is vast. When the Wraith were in command, they kept the populations down to a minimum. This means that there are hundreds of inhabited planets out there whose human populations are only using up a fraction of the available resources.

Now with millions of humans killed by a plague and tons of Wraith killed by the Atlantis expedition, starvation and civil war, yeah, the galaxy can take human Wraiths in.

Comment

This question has bothered me too. What do they expect will happen after the Wraith are converted to humans? I think it is highly likely that the first thing they will do is team up and come down on Atlantis like a bag of hammers. After that, I can't say for sure what will happen. Does Atlantis seriously think that once they become human and the civil war ends, the Wraith will look to us for guidance like every other human race? Atlantis, and Earth for that matter, think too highly of themselves.

Comment

Well I think Todd at least will perhaps turn to the Atlantis expedition for some education on nutritional requirements and what could potentially be harmful to his faction and perhaps share that information with other factions that decide to take the treatment.
                I'd imagine that there are at least a few scientists amongst Todd's faction that can develop tests to check the food they need to eat, as it's a lot easier than trying to find the Hoffan plague in people.

Comment

Originally posted by rsanchez View Post
                  This question has bothered me too. What do they expect will happen after the Wraith are converted to humans? I think it is highly likely that the first thing they will do is team up and come down on Atlantis like a bag of hammers.
                  Why would they? They would be weary of war, having finally found a solution to it. They'd be busy trying to rebuild their society and adapt to eating regular food.

Also, they still wouldn't know where Atlantis is currently located, or whether or not Atlantis is still around at all.

Comment

I really don't think they would be weary of war. They waged war with the Ancients for a long time until they finally defeated them. Just because they turn human, doesn't mean they will become nice and offer to rebuild all the worlds they destroyed and the like. I'm sure there are more than a few Wraith out there who would love to say they were the one who finally destroyed Atlantis.

Plus, they can find out Atlantis' location from Todd, and all the Wraith who participated in the destruction of Asuras would surely know Atlantis wasn't destroyed. Once the Wraith reach peace with each other, these things are probably what they would share with each other first, catching up with current events they kept concealed from each other over the past five years.

Comment

I think we forget that the desire and need for food is not the only impetus for the Wraith actions. If the Wraith are freed from their need to feed, they will simply be freed of their one weakness. Remember, the Wraith did not just feed on the human worlds. they took control of the galaxy. The Wraith-Lantean war was not simply fought over the right to feed off humans. the Wraith fought for dominance of the galaxy, evidenced by their decision to wipe out the Ancients and other races in the galaxy. They are still an evil race.
                      Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                      encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                      3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                      4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                      5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
                        I think we forget that the desire and need for food is not the only impetus for the Wraith actions. If the Wraith are freed from their need to feed, they will simply be freed of their one weakness. Remember, the Wraith did not just feed on the human worlds. they took control of the galaxy. The Wraith-Lantean war was not simply fought over the right to feed off humans. the Wraith fought for dominance of the galaxy, evidenced by their decision to wipe out the Ancients and other races in the galaxy. They are still an evil race.
                        What is 'evil'? The Wraith simply cemented their dominance so they could not be threatened. It's natural selection, not evil. I mean, genocide against entire intelligent civilizations certainly seems wicked to us but the Wraith are more aggressive and have different morals.

But, yeah they'd still be a threat just a slightly less menacing one. Not less powerful, less menacing
                        Brian J. Smith Thunk Thread - New SGU Hottie
                        Zachary Quinto Thunk Thread - Sexy/Scary Sylar

Comment

Originally posted by Ltcolshepjumper View Post
                          The Wraith-Lantean war was not simply fought over the right to feed off humans. the Wraith fought for dominance of the galaxy, evidenced by their decision to wipe out the Ancients and other races in the galaxy. They are still an evil race.
                          I agree. There is more evidence for this given in "The Lost Tribe," when the Asgard leader said the Wraith immediately attacked their ships after the Ancients gave up and packed for the Milky Way. The Wraith do not tolerate the existence of advanced technology other than their own, and Atlantis, yeah it's pretty advanced. Wraith becoming friends and ending the civil war means doom for Atlantis, and with no one left who would care, even a little bit, for the people of Pegasus, who knows how badly things will be for the humans.

Comment

The Wraith do not tolerate the existence of advanced technology other than their own,
                            That's because they didn't want their food fighting back.

Wraith becoming friends and ending the civil war means doom for Atlantis, and with no one left who would care, even a little bit, for the people of Pegasus, who knows how badly things will be for the humans.
                            If the Wraith were able to eat normal food they could establish territory on a few of the uninhabited worlds. This would leave the Pegasus humans free to start killing each other in their own wars because humans do that a lot.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                              That's because they didn't want their food fighting back.

If the Wraith were able to eat normal food they could establish territory on a few of the uninhabited worlds. This would leave the Pegasus humans free to start killing each other in their own wars because humans do that a lot.
                              Exactly. I think the Wraith would refocus on themselves for a time. It's not going to be all rosey in Pegasus either even without the Wraith. The Genii and others are already striving for power and control.
                              sigpic
                              Siggie created by TP//Avatar by Draco-Stellaris

Comment

Working...
                              X