Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Ori arc anti-religious protest by producers and writers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Ori arc anti-religious protest by producers and writers?

Wanna hear what everyone has to say.
    sigpic

No, I think the message is very clear, you have the right to believe what ever you want to believe, just don't force those beliefs onto other people.
    I think it's really a message about terrorism, not that the terrorists are gonna listen...
    Last edited by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac; 07 December 2008, 04:06 AM. Reason: typo
    Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
      No, I think the message is very clear, you have the write to believe what ever you want to believe, just don't force those beliefs onto other people.
      I think it's really a message about terrorism, not that the terrorists are gonna listen...
      I agree with Jedi Master Bra'tac
      People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

I think the message is simple and clear: Science 1 - Religion 0
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ayiana worshiper View Post
          I think the message is simple and clear: Science 1 - Religion 0
          Science 2 - Religion 0

We beat the Goa'uld too.

But no, the whole anti-religious things only applies to it being abused and to it's extremes. The characters (Hammond, Landry & Cam, at least) have been shown to be religious, so there really isn't much there.

Comment

Well ya never know.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
              Science 2 - Religion 0

We beat the Goa'uld too.

But no, the whole anti-religious things only applies to it being abused and to it's extremes. The characters (Hammond, Landry & Cam, at least) have been shown to be religious, so there really isn't much there.
              It was hardly science vs religion with the Goa'uld and the Ori seeing as both of them were more technologically advanced than us
              Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
                It was hardly science vs religion with the Goa'uld and the Ori seeing as both of them were more technologically advanced than us
                Science, through the power of religion!

(You do realise I disagree with the thread? )

Comment

I think of the Ori plot as being about fanaticism. Even though it was presented as religious fanaticism humans can be just as fanatical about an ideology.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                    I think of the Ori plot as being about fanaticism. Even though it was presented as religious fanaticism humans can be just as fanatical about an ideology.
                    That being religion. The one thing the human race could do without.
                    sigpic

Comment

Humans can be just as fanatical about a political system.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
                        No, I think the message is very clear, you have the right to believe what ever you want to believe, just don't force those beliefs onto other people.
                        I agree completly!

Gate Rider AKA Abnormal on the Sanctuary fan forums.
                        Fencers of GW Unite!

Comment

It's a natural offshoot to the previous exploration of ascended beings. What if ascended beings used their power to enrich themselves? It's the flip side of the Ancients. We see that it's not helpful if ascended beings won't involve themselves at all, but infinately worse if they involve themselves for their own gain.

The Ori weren't fanatics. They just used fanaticism to control the Priors who, in turn, controlled the subject populations, so the Ori could siphon energy from them. It's about the corruption and power, not religion. Of course, it's also about how religion can be used to control a population by unscrupulous power mongers...

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
                            It's the flip side of the Ancients. We see that it's not helpful if ascended beings won't involve themselves at all, but infinately worse if they involve themselves for their own gain.
                            The Ascended Ancients/Others weren't acting out of wisdom when they refused to help. They were paralysed with fear of becoming like the Ori. When it came to punishing one of their own, though, they could be just as ruthless.. They killed everyone on Velona and allowed the partly descended Anubis to do what he wanted in the Milky Way as long as he didn't use his extra knowledge.
                            sigpic

Comment

Its all about making up your own decisions and not bowing down to things that cannot be explained due to lack of knowledge.

However I do suspect it may have a few anti terrorism ideals in it

Comment

Working...
                              X