PDA

View Full Version : 'Vegas' (519) General Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Madeleine
February 13th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree :) I cannot see (our) Rodney wasting time as long as he has a pencil and piece of paper, and I cannot see (our) Teyla or Ronon on that particular mission.

But it's AU, so maybe my imagination is just a bit limited :D

EvenstarSRV
February 13th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree :) I cannot see (our) Rodney wasting time as long as he has a pencil and piece of paper, and I cannot see (our) Teyla or Ronon on that particular mission.

But it's AU, so maybe my imagination is just a bit limited :D

Fair enough. :)

I usually really like AU episodes because they give the characters a chance to really break out of their usual molds, which is generally difficult to do because of the need for continuity in a TV series.

I think the writers did this to great effect with this AU's Sheppard, and there were lots of opportunities for the other characters as well. These are not our characters as we usually know them, so why not take advantage of this freedom and push the boundaries of what's possible?

Falcon Horus
March 16th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Coming in overly late... but anyway... though I'm quite sure what I'm about to say has been said a dozen times over and if it hasn't well then so be it...

WHAT THE FRAK WAS THIS?!?

CSI, CSI:Miami, CSI:New York, CSI: Las Vegas -> They all do it better.
PTW of Atlantis don't try to be something that you're not. You have proven enough that writing Stargate Atlantis is hard enough for you guys. Why try your hands at CSI:Atlantis?

This was obviously supposed to be the episode where they had everyone making a cameo. Couldn't do it in the 100th because that would be a season/series finale, so we have to have an episode earlier in which we can make all of TPTB and TPTW happy. And this was the one... Smile, you're in the show, cool huh!

A PTB once said in a commentary of a film that loud noise don't always contribute to the viewing experience and that it is tiring on the audience to the point of annoying. So, what options do you have?
FYI: It was TPTB who did Lara Croft, Tomb Raider, for anyone interested.

a) slow-motion firing - only having a sort of thumb-thumb - which adds to the photography of the filming.
That Wraith firing in slow-motion at Sheppard - would have been one magnificent image (if you want reference, try Underworld somewhere at the end where Selene fires at some Death Dealers).

b) using silencers which allow for the action to be in real-time, without the need for extra slow-motion, and still hold the silent thumb-thumb. (for reference: Tomb Raider, when the soldiers invade Croft mannor to steal the clock holding a piece of the puzzle)

Of course, I would have preferred the slow-motion because it gives more greatness to a scene.

*shakes head* ... so much lost potential with this one... it's truly sad...

The only thing that made this episode worth watching:

- Joe Flanigan's performance

- the music - though a little more music from the likes of Underworld (Puscifer, Atreyu, Alkaline Trio, Trivium, ....) wouldn't have gone amiss.

- the Wraith trying to blend in - he's my new favorite Wraith - What should I call him? Cause the Wraith worshippers have probably already given him a name.

- Detective Sheppard's car - too bad it got destroyed

- Jordan from The 4400 was a pleasant surprise - don't know the actress' name, she was the nurse

To say the least, I wasn't overly impressed with this episode. It was a failed attempt at being original within the Stargate franchise. I mean, we had to go all the way to an alternate universe to screw up our own? WTF?!? :S Just so they could go to Vegas and pretend to be something they're not. Boys and their toys ... in this case, very expensive toys.

Reiko
March 17th, 2009, 04:31 PM
- the Wraith trying to blend in - he's my new favorite Wraith - What should I call him? Cause the Wraith worshippers have probably already given him a name.

I believe he's going by "Spike" these days. :D

Falcon Horus
March 17th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I believe he's going by "Spike" these days. :D

Yes, I asked one of the Wraith defenders. They have a whole list of Wraiths they named. :)

jelgate
March 17th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Yes, I asked one of the Wraith defenders. They have a whole list of Wraiths they named. :)

Kind of scary isn't it:P

Falcon Horus
March 17th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Kind of scary isn't it:P

Just a little... :p

morjana
March 29th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Stargate Atlantis - Video: MGM Stargate: Behind the Scenes of 'Vegas':

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v443/morjana/09/video-vegasbts.jpg

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=9966526&postcount=1

Angela V
April 23rd, 2009, 09:31 PM
My family and I finally got to watch this episode.

Hubby: Cool! Reminds me of a 70's cop show

9 year old Son: John Sheppard. Nothing else matters.

4 year old Daughter: Where's Teyla?

Me: What the Frak was that?

:tealcanime49:

Lythisrose
April 23rd, 2009, 09:58 PM

I kinda agree with your son...:p

maxbo
April 24th, 2009, 07:48 AM

:lol: I think you and your family covered most of the various fan reactions to this episode.

I especially love your daugther's response because I was wondering where Teyla was too.

Falcon Horus
April 24th, 2009, 08:58 AM

Your daughter is my new favorite kid. :D She's wise.

jelgate
April 24th, 2009, 09:41 AM

That wallpaper doesn't hold itself up:P

Falcon Horus
April 24th, 2009, 10:15 AM
That wallpaper doesn't hold itself up:P

There should be an award for that. She'd win it hands down.

jelgate
April 24th, 2009, 10:16 AM
There should be an award for that. She'd win it hands down.

Their are a few characters on Enterprise who would give her a run for her money:P

Falcon Horus
April 24th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Their are a few characters on Enterprise who would give her a run for her money:P

Woops! :p There's competition.

major davis
April 24th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Oh my gosh. The cinimatograph was georgous. 10/10

Angela V
April 30th, 2009, 10:02 PM

She'll be 5 at Hallowe'en and wants to be Teyla. And I have to make sure she gets her two fighting sticks. :teylaanime03:

Falcon Horus
May 1st, 2009, 05:33 AM
She'll be 5 at Hallowe'en and wants to be Teyla. And I have to make sure she gets her two fighting sticks. :teylaanime03:

LOL!! That is sweet. :D

jelgate
May 1st, 2009, 05:35 AM

If you find any bruises or welts on her siblings we know how they got their:P

bobsenior
May 14th, 2009, 01:21 AM
I was just watching this episode and noticed McKay talking with Detective Sheppard, discussing the alternate versions of themselves, but in season 3, episode 'McKay & Mrs Miller' didn't the alternate McKay already have a version of Sheppard back on Atlantis?

Alternate McKay: "he's very active with the MENSA club we have there"

(Oh and sorry if this has already been covered/answered)

Matt G
May 14th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Sort of yeah, basically, the McKay in "Vegas" is not Rody from McKay and Mrs Miller! There are an infinite number of realities.

bobsenior
May 15th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Sort of yeah, basically, the McKay in "Vegas" is not Rody from McKay and Mrs Miller! There are an infinite number of realities.

Yeah I guess, just seemed a bit un-necessary to say

Jedi40
May 29th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Not sure if this questin as been asked on here already or not, but does anyone know what brand of Sunglasses John wears in this episode and where to get them?

WraithInMe
May 29th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Not sure if this questin as been asked on here already or not, but does anyone know what brand of Sunglasses John wears in this episode and where to get them?

Aviators is the brand.

Only the Sheppard fangirls will "like" it.

I wouldn't say that.

I was quite fond of Spike the Wraith http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/4898/wubb.gif
and seeing what's underneath all their usual leather attire...
Found it interesting to see how one would go about survival on Earth, how they would blend in, etc.
And Joel Goldsmith really did an awesome job on this one. His music f'in ROCKED!

The beginning had me wondering what I was watching for a second when I first saw it. Never really liked the Earth-based eps, alternate reality or not, but it ended up being a favorite of mine.
Just wish it was longer. It seemed rather rushed.

Linda06
May 30th, 2009, 03:19 AM
That was the only good thing about Vegas, the hot Wraith dude :p

jelgate
May 30th, 2009, 06:11 AM
That was the only good thing about Vegas, the hot Wraith dude :p

That explains why I didn't like the episode. I am not a Wraith thunker:P

Southern Red
May 30th, 2009, 06:16 AM

I feel the need to barge in reply and defend my favorite episode.

How can you have such good taste in wizards *points at avatar* and yet not see the genius of Vegas? I have now become a Rob Cooper thunker just on that episode alone. :D

jelgate
May 30th, 2009, 06:22 AM
I feel the need to barge in reply and defend my favorite episode.

How can you have such good taste in wizards *points at avatar* and yet not see the genius of Vegas? I have now become a Rob Cooper thunker just on that episode alone. :D

Ow low shot:P I guess it comes down that a major point was that this episode was suppose to be a ripoff of CSI and CSI is not a show I like. I don't care about AU Shep and his woes. The show was a bore until McKay showed up and then it was still boring

Cautious Explorer
May 30th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Ow low shot:P I guess it comes down that a major point was that this episode was suppose to be a ripoff of CSI and CSI is not a show I like. I don't care about AU Shep and his woes. The show was a bore until McKay showed up and then it was still boring

Now I'm the opposite. I thought McKay's appearance brought everything to a screaching halt. I wanted to see Shep, not the same old selfish McKay and his mini lecture on the Pegasus Galaxy.

The episode would have been a lot more interesting to me if it had followed Shep in his AU world -- forget about McKay -- and let me see some of the people he interacts with on a regular basis in that world.

Southern Red
May 30th, 2009, 06:51 AM

Hee. But if you don't like CSI, I can understand your opinion. Funny but now when I watch CSI, I compare it to Vegas. And as someone who loves AU's, Vegas was right up my alley.

Now I'm the opposite. I thought McKay's appearance brought everything to a screaching halt. I wanted to see Shep, not the same old selfish McKay and his mini lecture on the Pegasus Galaxy.

The episode would have been a lot more interesting to me if it had followed Shep in his AU world -- forget about McKay -- and let me see some of the people he interacts with on a regular basis in that world.

I agree I would have liked to see more of Shep's world but alas, that was not the story RCC decided to tell. Didn't JF say recently that he would like to have had a chance to explore that world more? That would have been great. But then Vegas!Shep would have had to survive.

Actually, I also liked the way DH and RP played their parts. Quite different and not at all the characters we know. It just showed to me how not having Sheppard in their lives on Atlantis made such a huge difference. And I think that was RCC's point. And let's not forget David Nykl. We still got the little hint of Rodney/Radek conflict. Very well done. It was like watching all those guys play a different part but with still a chunk of the characters we know.

Linda06
May 30th, 2009, 07:11 AM

Neither am I usually but he was one hot wraith :o

I love CSI LV and New York but SGA Vegas was a very bad ripoff. They should leave this kind of thing to the people that can actually do it ;)

Plus the rock music was sooooooooooooooooo annoying :eek:

Cautious Explorer
May 30th, 2009, 07:22 AM
I agree I would have liked to see more of Shep's world but alas, that was not the story RCC decided to tell. Didn't JF say recently that he would like to have had a chance to explore that world more? That would have been great. But then Vegas!Shep would have had to survive.
I don't follow your logic. We could still explore his world up to the point of his death.

I don't have a problem at all with AU Shep surviving. In fact, I'd prefer it. I'm not a big fan of death scenes. Anyway, death scene at the end or not, it still would have been a far more interesting episode to me if we had explored AU Shep's world -- not AU Shep meets AU Rodney McKay. :rolleyes:

Actually, I also liked the way DH and RP played their parts. Quite different and not at all the characters we know. It just showed to me how not having Sheppard in their lives on Atlantis made such a huge difference. And I think that was RCC's point. And let's not forget David Nykl. We still got the little hint of Rodney/Radek conflict. Very well done. It was like watching all those guys play a different part but with still a chunk of the characters we know.

I really didn't think AU McKay and AU Zelenka were that different. They were both still top scientists inolved with the SG program. McKay was still arrogant and self-centered with a bit more of a cruel streak. It was hard to say with Zelenka, since he barely had any screen time. Frankly, I would have like to see more of him interacting with AU Shep, anyone but McKay again.

Southern Red
May 30th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I don't follow your logic. We could still explore his world up to the point of his death.

I don't have a problem at all with AU Shep surviving. In fact, I'd prefer it. I'm not a big fan of death scenes. Anyway, death scene at the end or not, it still would have been a far more interesting episode to me if we had explored AU Shep's world -- not AU Shep meets AU Rodney McKay. :rolleyes:

I really didn't think AU McKay and AU Zelenka were that different. They were both still top scientists inolved with the SG program. McKay was still arrogant and self-centered with a bit more of a cruel streak. It was hard to say with Zelenka, since he barely had any screen time. Frankly, I would have like to see more of him interacting with AU Shep, anyone but McKay again.

Yes, you are correct. We could go back to the Vegas AU at an earlier time. That would have been a great episode.

Falcon Horus
May 30th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I have now become a Rob Cooper thunker just on that episode alone. :D

Cooper joked about Kate dying... He permanently is off my list.

And Vegas wasn't all that spectacular, except for Spike which I thought was quite interesting. The way he choose to blend in with the humans.

Linda06
May 30th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Cooper joked about Kate dying... He permanently is off my list.

And Vegas wasn't all that spectacular, except for Spike which I thought was quite interesting. The way he choose to blend in with the humans.

:eek: You bite him little Lemming...

There was too much sand, you know how sand gets everywhere :eek:

Jedi40
May 30th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Aviators is the brand.
That is a style not a brand.

Anuna
May 30th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Hee. But if you don't like CSI, I can understand your opinion. Funny but now when I watch CSI, I compare it to Vegas. And as someone who loves AU's, Vegas was right up my alley.

I'm not too crqazy about CSI and the CSI - style of the ep doesn't bother me one bit. I don't think it's a rip off, it would be if the whole CSI thing was overdone. IMO; the ep still has more Atlantis elements (much more), so it's simply Atlantis done in a different style. A little change doesn't really hurt.

I also like the way DH and David Nykl played their parts although I don't completely agree with you, they seemed like the same characters with a different twist. (Maybe we do have same opinion, I'm just voicing it differently?) I loved how their core was still Radek and Rodney bickering, only we could see that the difference between John!Lantis and John - less Atlantis is HUGE. Which was, I think, a point RCC was trying to get across. basically Vegas!John, to me, feels like the John from "The Rising" who never went to the adventure of his life. I think Vegas does well in showing how essential Atlantis is for John, the responsibility and everything he did/is doing there. So first and foremost, I think it's a great John ep. I wouldn't mind seeing more of Vegas!John world, but I don't think this ep lacks anything. The story is told so well and we know everything we need, to understand it.

On the death scene. Ever since S1 this is the first death scene that, you know, mattered. Or at least felt that way. Especially when I think of "he/she is dead, but not really" thing SGA has been pulling 'til no end in S4 and S5, which successfully ruined the show for me. If you're going to diss a character, do it in a way that makes sense. Vegas!Shep died tragically, as a hero who wasn't really a hero (or rather didn't behave or think of himself that way) and it was heart breaking. To me, that's a sign of good story telling, it makes me care (and not throw things at the screen). I'm not very fond of my characters dying, but after everything SGA has dished out in recent two years.... I don't know, perhaps I am desensitized? It doesn't bother me. But the scene, the music, the entire feeling of how it happens makes lot of sense in Vegas ' verse.

All in all, still my #1 ep. Great job!

Southern Red
May 31st, 2009, 04:16 AM
I'm not too crqazy about CSI and the CSI - style of the ep doesn't bother me one bit. I don't think it's a rip off, it would be if the whole CSI thing was overdone. IMO; the ep still has more Atlantis elements (much more), so it's simply Atlantis done in a different style. A little change doesn't really hurt.

I also like the way DH and David Nykl played their parts although I don't completely agree with you, they seemed like the same characters with a different twist. (Maybe we do have same opinion, I'm just voicing it differently?) I loved how their core was still Radek and Rodney bickering, only we could see that the difference between John!Lantis and John - less Atlantis is HUGE. Which was, I think, a point RCC was trying to get across. basically Vegas!John, to me, feels like the John from "The Rising" who never went to the adventure of his life. I think Vegas does well in showing how essential Atlantis is for John, the responsibility and everything he did/is doing there. So first and foremost, I think it's a great John ep. I wouldn't mind seeing more of Vegas!John world, but I don't think this ep lacks anything. The story is told so well and we know everything we need, to understand it.

On the death scene. Ever since S1 this is the first death scene that, you know, mattered. Or at least felt that way. Especially when I think of "he/she is dead, but not really" thing SGA has been pulling 'til no end in S4 and S5, which successfully ruined the show for me. If you're going to diss a character, do it in a way that makes sense. Vegas!Shep died tragically, as a hero who wasn't really a hero (or rather didn't behave or think of himself that way) and it was heart breaking. To me, that's a sign of good story telling, it makes me care (and not throw things at the screen). I'm not very fond of my characters dying, but after everything SGA has dished out in recent two years.... I don't know, perhaps I am desensitized? It doesn't bother me. But the scene, the music, the entire feeling of how it happens makes lot of sense in Vegas ' verse.

All in all, still my #1 ep. Great job!

Oh I think we definitely agree with each other. David and David kept the essential parts of R&R with just enough difference to make it interesting.

And about John. RCC showed us what he could do with that character without changing his core. JF showed us what he could do with changes to the character that made him totally different yet retain his heart. These elements are mainly why I love Vegas so much. The setting is irrelevant. They could have put him in New York or LA or even a small town in Kansas. It wouldn't have mattered.

After all the marginalization of Sheppard we had to sit through for the last 2 seasons, Vegas returned us to SGA starring Joe Flanigan as Lt. Col. John Sheppard and it felt good. After all, doesn't science fiction encompass all times and places? Vegas was just one of gazillions of possible AU's. RCC picked this one and I think he did a fantastic job.

Cautious Explorer
May 31st, 2009, 05:44 AM
After all the marginalization of Sheppard we had to sit through for the last 2 seasons, Vegas returned us to SGA starring Joe Flanigan as Lt. Col. John Sheppard and it felt good. After all, doesn't science fiction encompass all times and places? Vegas was just one of gazillions of possible AU's. RCC picked this one and I think he did a fantastic job.

I agree that Sheppard was shamefully marginalized throughout season five, and the fact that JF had a chance to be the focus of the episode and was given a chance to do something different was the saving grace of the episode for me. The plot itself was all style with no substance. And I would have much preferred to see the real Sheppard get some development rather than an AU character.

That bothers me that we went a whole season with very little of our Sheppard and the one episode focused on him wasn't even the real Sheppard. And when we did see Vegas Sheppard he was essentially walking around in a vacuum with no interpersonal interactions except for Rodney, who was a complete stranger to him. That's one reason I would have so much preferred to see Vegas Sheppards world instead of the same old rehash with Rodney.

I honestly saw very little connection between Vegas Sheppard and Rising Sheppard. Rising Sheppard still had the structure of the military, the wildness of Antartica and an access to flying that I think was helping to keep that sense of adventure going within him that was fullly brought out when he went to Atlantis. I didn't see that in Vegas Sheppard.

Linda06
May 31st, 2009, 07:36 AM
Am I the only one that thought the scene where he was dying looked weird :eek: :o

Southern Red
May 31st, 2009, 09:09 AM
I agree that Sheppard was shamefully marginalized throughout season five, and the fact that JF had a chance to be the focus of the episode and was given a chance to do something different was the saving grace of the episode for me. The plot itself was all style with no substance. And I would have much preferred to see the real Sheppard get some development rather than an AU character.

That bothers me that we went a whole season with very little of our Sheppard and the one episode focused on him wasn't even the real Sheppard. And when we did see Vegas Sheppard he was essentially walking around in a vacuum with no interpersonal interactions except for Rodney, who was a complete stranger to him. That's one reason I would have so much preferred to see Vegas Sheppards world instead of the same old rehash with Rodney.

I honestly saw very little connection between Vegas Sheppard and Rising Sheppard. Rising Sheppard still had the structure of the military, the wildness of Antartica and an access to flying that I think was helping to keep that sense of adventure going within him that was fullly brought out when he went to Atlantis. I didn't see that in Vegas Sheppard.

Vegas Sheppard to me represented what Rising Sheppard might have become had he never gone to Atlantis. The lost woman in his life, of course, was different than Rising Sheppard's situation and seemed to have shaded his character quite a bit. Our Sheppard had lost teammates, a wife and contact with his family. Maybe if he hadn't found his new "family" in Atlantis, he too would have become seedy and depressed. We saw a bit of this in the change in him throughout S4-5 as his life became darker and he lost more friends. *shrugs* Again there are an infinite number of possibilities.

Am I the only one that thought the scene where he was dying looked weird :eek: :o

Weird in what way? :confused:

Scary Kitty
May 31st, 2009, 09:39 AM
Vegas Sheppard to me represented what Rising Sheppard might have become had he never gone to Atlantis. The lost woman in his life, of course, was different than Rising Sheppard's situation and seemed to have shaded his character quite a bit. Our Sheppard had lost teammates, a wife and contact with his family. Maybe if he hadn't found his new "family" in Atlantis, he too would have become seedy and depressed. We saw a bit of this in the change in him throughout S4-5 as his life became darker and he lost more friends. *shrugs* Again there are an infinite number of possibilities.

Exactly, and I think that's really the key that maybe some people are missing. Vegas Sheppard and Rising Sheppard are the same character up to a point, but they've taken very different paths since their time in Afghanistan. Both paid the price for those events; Rising Sheppard got booted to Antarctica to be left to rot and passed over for promotion enough times that he'd have to leave the Air Force, setting up his chance at redeeming his military career and his life in general in Atlantis; Vegas Sheppard was kicked out of the Air Force entirely and simply gave up, letting himself spiral downward into depression and mediocrity, digging himself so deep that he could never get out. But things could have oh so easily gone differently for both. Rising Sheppard could have turned down the offer to go to Atlantis, ended up having to separate from the Air Force and winding up on the same path as Vegas Sheppard did. And Vegas Sheppard could have tried to make something of himself after his own Afghanistan Incident, put his own smarts to work and somehow gotten involved with the Stargate program and Atlantis anyway, but as a civilian.

Like you said, an infinite number of possibilities. :)

Cautious Explorer
May 31st, 2009, 10:24 AM
Well we're all going to see things differently. No surprise that I still don't see any resemblance. Rewatch the scenes with Gen. O'Nell. Sheppard knew nothing about Atlantis at that point, hadn't met his future gate team, and still he had a sense of humor, seemed to take a delight in flying and was patching his life back together. I saw a lot more optimism in pre-Atlantis Shep than I saw in AU Shep. His life may have been in a holding pattern, but I don't think he'd given up yet.

Southern Red
May 31st, 2009, 12:27 PM
Exactly, and I think that's really the key that maybe some people are missing. Vegas Sheppard and Rising Sheppard are the same character up to a point, but they've taken very different paths since their time in Afghanistan. Both paid the price for those events; Rising Sheppard got booted to Antarctica to be left to rot and passed over for promotion enough times that he'd have to leave the Air Force, setting up his chance at redeeming his military career and his life in general in Atlantis; Vegas Sheppard was kicked out of the Air Force entirely and simply gave up, letting himself spiral downward into depression and mediocrity, digging himself so deep that he could never get out. But things could have oh so easily gone differently for both. Rising Sheppard could have turned down the offer to go to Atlantis, ended up having to separate from the Air Force and winding up on the same path as Vegas Sheppard did. And Vegas Sheppard could have tried to make something of himself after his own Afghanistan Incident, put his own smarts to work and somehow gotten involved with the Stargate program and Atlantis anyway, but as a civilian.

Like you said, an infinite number of possibilities. :)

Yes yes yes. And in some AU all those things happened. I love SciFi.

Well we're all going to see things differently. No surprise that I still don't see any resemblance. Rewatch the scenes with Gen. O'Nell. Sheppard knew nothing about Atlantis at that point, hadn't met his future gate team, and still he had a sense of humor, seemed to take a delight in flying and was patching his life back together. I saw a lot more optimism in pre-Atlantis Shep than I saw in AU Shep. His life may have been in a holding pattern, but I don't think he'd given up yet.

Well, I said might have happened in relation to Rising Shep. The whole point was that his life was in a holding pattern in Antarctica. Arguably, one could say that he was hiding from life. Anything was possible, but he did go to Atlantis. He did meet his new friends who rapidly became family and it did make up for his isolation. None of that happened to Vegas Shep.

But the playfulness of Rising/Atlantis Shep of S1-3 was virtually gone with a few exceptions in S4-5. In a much less severe manner, the events of Atlantis, the loss of members of his self-proclaimed family as stated in Sateda, the continuing burden of command and threat to the lives of people he was charged to keep safe along with the threat to the city that he had made a connection with on the cellular level changed him. He was a lot less carefree in S5 than in S1 and who knows if at some point the persona he exhibited in Vegas would not have taken over and turned him even darker.

Speculation? Yes. That's why posting on forums is fun and not to be taken seriously. Whatever my brain can conceive is as believable as whatever some other rabid fan can think up. Here's to fantasy.

Scary Kitty
May 31st, 2009, 02:14 PM
Yes yes yes. And in some AU all those things happened. I love SciFi.

Me too. :)

Well, I said might have happened in relation to Rising Shep. The whole point was that his life was in a holding pattern in Antarctica. Arguably, one could say that he was hiding from life. Anything was possible, but he did go to Atlantis. He did meet his new friends who rapidly became family and it did make up for his isolation. None of that happened to Vegas Shep.

But the playfulness of Rising/Atlantis Shep of S1-3 was virtually gone with a few exceptions in S4-5. In a much less severe manner, the events of Atlantis, the loss of members of his self-proclaimed family as stated in Sateda, the continuing burden of command and threat to the lives of people he was charged to keep safe along with the threat to the city that he had made a connection with on the cellular level changed him. He was a lot less carefree in S5 than in S1 and who knows if at some point the persona he exhibited in Vegas would not have taken over and turned him even darker.

Absolutely! I think one of the key points the audience is faced with in Vegas (and other episodes with similarly dark themes, like Miller's Crossing) is that canon Sheppard definitely has the potential to go that dark, or even darker, if the circumstances are ripe for it. Everyone has a breaking point, a weak spot that they can be hurt by. What is Sheppard's? We've seen time and time again that it's the people he cares about, that he considers family. In the Vegas AU, it pushed him over the edge far sooner than in the canon universe, but now he's dancing on that knife's edge in the canon universe as well. He hasn't slipped over yet, but all it'll take is one strong push at just the wrong moment.

Speculation? Yes. That's why posting on forums is fun and not to be taken seriously. Whatever my brain can conceive is as believable as whatever some other rabid fan can think up. Here's to fantasy.

*raises a glass* :D

Cautious Explorer
May 31st, 2009, 03:22 PM

Exactly, you're speculating. So am I. It just happens that I don't see what you see. So what? If you'd rather not discuss it, that's fine.

Once again, it's all in your perspective. IMO every soul on Atlantis became less playful and more sober and grim in seasons 4 & 5 -- not so much because of the events they'd been through, but simply because TPTB decided to take the show in a grimmer, darker direction (one I really didn't like, I might add.) I found most of the characters nearly unrecognizable.

Southern Red
May 31st, 2009, 04:29 PM
Exactly, you're speculating. So am I. It just happens that I don't see what you see. So what? If you'd rather not discuss it, that's fine.

Once again, it's all in your perspective. IMO every soul on Atlantis became less playful and more sober and grim in seasons 4 & 5 -- not so much because of the events they'd been through, but simply because TPTB decided to take the show in a grimmer, darker direction (one I really didn't like, I might add.) I found most of the characters nearly unrecognizable.

Uh, I thought we had been discussing it for several days. LOL Anyway, I certainly was not trying to change your mind. But I did enjoy the discussion. It's fun to toss around ideas and see other people's perspective.

And ITA on the darker tone. I hated it. After Sunday and especially when they killed Elizabeth several times, it was never the same for me.

I don't think it needs to be said that it's all the fault of the writers. But again, like I said, that doesn't stop us from discussing it like they were real people and not characters in a story. It's all in good fun.

Cautious Explorer
June 1st, 2009, 03:04 AM
Uh, I thought we had been discussing it for several days.
Oops. Sorry. When you brought out the "speculation" line, etc. I thought you were getting defensive. Never mind then. ;)

LOL Anyway, I certainly was not trying to change your mind. But I did enjoy the discussion. It's fun to toss around ideas and see other people's perspective. That's good. You would have been wasting your time. :P But it's interesting to discuss anyway.

And ITA on the darker tone. I hated it. After Sunday and especially when they killed Elizabeth several times, it was never the same for me.
I almost agree with you. Wow! I don't think the dark tone really set in enough to bother me until S4. I quite enjoyed the last half of S3 (minus Carson's death of course).

I don't think it needs to be said that it's all the fault of the writers. But again, like I said, that doesn't stop us from discussing it like they were real people and not characters in a story. It's all in good fun.
With such a disconnect between S1-3 and then S4/5, it's hard for me to credit in-story reasons for the huge change in the characters. It's just too ridiculous IMO. I can't come up with a compelling reason why the dramatic events of discovering Atlantis and the Wraith, various early losses, etc would be more traumatic for the expedition as a whole and hitting them all at exactly the same time. Nope. Can't stretch my suspension of disbelief quite that far.

Linda06
June 1st, 2009, 06:09 AM
Weird in what way? :confused:

Well the facial expressions. It looked more like he was constipated rather than dying :eek: I know, i'm weird :o

Southern Red
June 1st, 2009, 06:44 AM
Well the facial expressions. It looked more like he was constipated rather than dying :eek: I know, i'm weird :o

Ah, maybe dying was painful. LOL

Linda06
June 1st, 2009, 06:59 AM
Ah, maybe dying was painful. LOL

:lol: Well I know constipation can be painful, or is it just uncomfortable :eek:

jelgate
June 1st, 2009, 07:04 AM
:lol: Well I know constipation can be painful, or is it just uncomfortable :eek:

Linda I did not need that image in my head

Linda06
June 1st, 2009, 07:12 AM

Thank you :D

:p

Southern Red
June 1st, 2009, 07:25 AM

Me neither. I'll have to go rewatch Vegas now and check it out. But you still can't spoil it for me no matter what. Hehhehheh.

Vegas still rocks!

jelgate
June 1st, 2009, 07:40 AM
Me neither. I'll have to go rewatch Vegas now and check it out. But you still can't spoil it for me no matter what. Hehhehheh.

Vegas still rocks!

Why would I?

I perfectly understand why Vegas appealed to some people. Those factors just didn't work for me. I will be happy to discuss/debate but I would never try to spoil it so you dislike Vegas. Not in my nature. We all like SGA for different reasons.

Linda06
June 1st, 2009, 07:47 AM

Vegas still rocks!

Anything that makes Jel cringe is a good thing ;)

Why would I?

I perfectly understand why Vegas appealed to some people. Those factors just didn't work for me. I will be happy to discuss/debate but I would never try to spoil it so you dislike Vegas. Not in my nature. We all like SGA for different reasons.

I like explosions and space battles and stuff :D And Teyla kicking the guys butts :p

jelgate
June 1st, 2009, 07:49 AM
I like explosions and space battles and stuff :D And Teyla kicking the guys butts :p
So you like shallow plot lines and nothing that makes you think a little?:P

Linda06
June 1st, 2009, 07:51 AM

Yeah...When I have to think my head hurts :p

Southern Red
June 1st, 2009, 08:07 AM
Why would I?

Thanks. You are very gracious. SGA did have something for everyone, didn't it?

:lol:

jelgate
June 1st, 2009, 08:15 AM

:lol:

You need that for a show to be successful. A wide range of plots and characters is crucial to the success of a show and something SGA had especially in plots. Too narrow and the show will be stagnet.

Falcon Horus
June 1st, 2009, 09:34 AM

Even if you had to go looking for it in the background. :S

Linda06
June 1st, 2009, 09:46 AM
Even if you had to go looking for it in the background. :S

But it was such a pretty background :D

Falcon Horus
June 1st, 2009, 10:02 AM
But it was such a pretty background :D

That it was. :D

Jedi40
June 5th, 2009, 11:20 PM
He was shot in the heart of course as he took his last breath it would look that way.

Linda06
June 6th, 2009, 05:26 AM
He was shot in the heart of course as he took his last breath it would look that way.

ahhhh....I'm not familiar what people would look like after being shot :eek:

Easter Lily
June 7th, 2009, 02:18 AM
I thought Vegas was one of the most creative things I've seen coming out of this show for a while. It was very stylish and I liked the idea of a rogue Wraith running amok doing serial killer things and Sheppard being the lead detective on that case. It reminded me of Fringe in that regard.
So does that mean that it is Sheppard's destiny to be entangled with the Wraith in whatever reality he's in? ;) If Muhammed doesn't go to the mountain...
While I see the CSI connection, I'm more inclined to think of alt Sheppard more in terms of a Sam Spade or a Philip Marlowe. The cynicism and self-imposed isolation is much more reminiscent of Hammett and Chandler than that of the CSI mould.

What I think could have made this a little more interesting would have been some brief interaction between alternate Sheppard and Altantis Sheppard. That would have made the SGA connection a lot more vivid.

Great episode though. It could be because I'm such a huge fan of the crime/detective genre. But the husband liked it too and he's no fan of anything crime.

Jedi40
June 7th, 2009, 11:23 PM

ahhhh....I'm not familiar what people would look like after being shot :eek:
A friend of mine is married to a cop so I just asked him if that was what someone that was shot in the heart looked like as they died and it was darn close.

Linda06
June 8th, 2009, 03:48 AM
A friend of mine is married to a cop so I just asked him if that was what someone that was shot in the heart looked like as they died and it was darn close.

Really? hmmm so you have a spy eh ;) Well now I know what it looks like , not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing though :eek:

Anda
June 8th, 2009, 04:20 AM
This episode was quite strange was like the Supernatural style.Don't you think?

Jedi40
June 8th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Really? hmmm so you have a spy eh ;) Well now I know what it looks like , not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing though :eek:
Not really a spy just someone with insider information. Well if someone else were shot the same way it might be a bit different, but not by much.

FN-P90
July 1st, 2009, 04:02 PM
Upon a rewatch Vegas might be one of my top 5 Atlantis episodes

Wraith4Child
July 5th, 2009, 11:46 AM
OMG! That is the best episode EVER!!!! AND a shirtless wraith, to boot!!!!

FN-P90
July 5th, 2009, 02:41 PM
The soundtrack was awsome

kymeric
July 15th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Loved it, very haunting ending. Plz cast him in another show as a detective, hes great at it!

Starrtom
August 11th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I though it was a fantastic episode, and gave a wonderful clue and lead in to EATG. Next to the Eye, Storm and Common Ground that was Flanigans best work of the series. I realise it would be a very polarising episode ie the ones that hate it and the ones that love it. It was different and thoughtful in my eyes.

Dindirindin
September 3rd, 2009, 05:21 AM
Awsome, one of my favourite stargate episodes.

The music, the end, the CSI style, ... perfect!

Krisz
November 14th, 2009, 05:48 PM
It took until the penultimate episode of SGA for me to think, wow, SGA's best episode! Hmmmm. Whilst I enjoyed some over the course of the show for the action, none stood out for gripping my attention as far as characters go. I didn't mind the 'CSIesque' style and the cameos were entertaining. Loved the way the Wraith made the best of things on being stuck on Earth. The alternate Sheppard was your tragic hero to the core! He saved everyone in the end, including his alternate self in a way, thus they weren't different as far 'souls' go. The use of the music was spot on, I thought it was great use of some wonderful tunes. Didn't leave me wondering 'what the....?' ,that the use of CCR's song in SG-1's Unending did! Joe Flannigan's performance in this was outstanding I thought.

I've re-watched this episode more times than any other SGA one. I can't help it, I'm a sap for these kinds of 'redemption in the end' things! :D

luzestelar
December 13th, 2009, 05:02 AM
IMO, it was simply brilliant. Great episode with interesting approach to characters and soundtrack was awesome :D

Falcon Horus
December 13th, 2009, 06:12 AM
... interesting approach to characters...

Only too bad 3/4 of the cast wasn't there to make it even more interesting.

jelgate
December 13th, 2009, 06:17 AM
Only too bad 3/4 of the cast wasn't there to make it even more interesting.

After 99 episodes shouldn't you be use to it?:P

Falcon Horus
December 13th, 2009, 07:44 AM

True... What was I thinking? :p

Linda06
December 13th, 2009, 09:06 AM

You'd think we would be used to it by now eh :rolleyes: :p

True... What was I thinking? :p

Selective memory perhaps ;) Maybe thinking they were there more than they actually were? ;)

Back to Vegas. *ponders*

Yep still the worst ever episode of Stargate EVER!!! I can't think of even one redeeming quality :eek:

jelgate
December 13th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Selective memory perhaps ;) Maybe thinking they were there more than they actually were? ;)

Lindaitis?:eek:

Back to Vegas. *ponders*

Yep still the worst ever episode of Stargate EVER!!! I can't think of even one redeeming quality :eek:

I can think of a few but those pale in comparassion to the boredem and rip offing of CSI.

I've got one I liked when the Wraith jumped that high wall of that casino

Falcon Horus
December 13th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I can't think of even one redeeming quality :eek:

I liked the music. :D

:eek:

That was wicked.

Linda06
December 13th, 2009, 10:42 AM

:eek: Oh poor little Lemming :S

I can think of a few but those pale in comparassion to the boredem and rip offing of CSI.

It was goddawful wasn't it? Leave CSI to the experts who can actually do it properly :mckay: These guys should just stick to Stargate, although they weren't very good at it in SGA :eek: :p

Okay two redeeming qualities, the one you mentioned plus....That Wraith dude was hot :D What? *adjusts halo*

I liked the music. :D

I hated the music :p But then I'm not into heavy rock :o

Lythisrose
December 13th, 2009, 11:18 AM
It was goddawful wasn't it? Leave CSI to the experts who can actually do it properly :mckay: These guys should just stick to Stargate, although they weren't very good at it in SGA :eek: :p

Okay two redeeming qualities, the one you mentioned plus....That Wraith dude was hot :D What? *adjusts halo*

I hated the music :p But then I'm not into heavy rock :o

Different strokes for different folks - my favorite Stargate ep of all time!
Loved the music, the acting, the photography, almost everything.
Only thing I could have asked for would have been to include Teyla and Ronon somehow and it would have perfection. :)

Southern Red
December 13th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Different strokes for different folks - my favorite Stargate ep of all time!
Loved the music, the acting, the photography, almost everything.
Only thing I could have asked for would have been to include Teyla and Ronon somehow and it would have perfection. :)

Vegas was perfection just like it was. Even Joe Flanigan says it is his favorite. I can see how it wouldn't be for everyone if you don't like CSI though. It is amazing also to see what these writers could have done on a regular basis.

It's great that after all this time, new posters are coming in here and giving their opinion. Vegas will be one of those that I watch over and over long after most of the others are forgotten.

Lythisrose
December 13th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Vegas was perfection just like it was. Even Joe Flanigan says it is his favorite. I can see how it wouldn't be for everyone if you don't like CSI though. It is amazing also to see what these writers could have done on a regular basis.

It's great that after all this time, new posters are coming in here and giving their opinion. Vegas will be one of those that I watch over and over long after most of the others are forgotten.

I agree, Vegas will be one of those eps I never get tired of replaying (and crying...)

Southern Red
December 14th, 2009, 04:00 AM
I agree, Vegas will be one of those eps I never get tired of replaying (and crying...)

Me too. And sighing. Heh. Pardon my fangirl moment.

I just noticed how Vegas!Shep's face in my avatar looks remarkably like Atlantis!Shep's face in your sig.

Naomi
June 24th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Just re-watched it, for the first time in a while. I think it's okay for a wannabe episode - wannabe CSI-ish, or the Outer Limits. I might appreciate the ep more if it were from one of those series. But, I was watching SGA. This isn't an episode I plan on viewing again any time soon.

rushy
July 4th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I loved it when he owned John in their alternate reality.! :mckayanime03:

Why not they have a new series : "Stargate CSI: Vegas"?

I like to see Drs. Keller, Zelenka, and Beckett work in lab team as Sam Carter, Ronon and Evan would be detectives.

Totally agree with you, man! This was the best Atlantis Ep ever! SOLITARY MAN RULES!!!!!!!! And Vegas(modified to fit the other detectives who all get killed during this episode) should be the last episode where all the detectives die one by one and John is the last one with the ending where he also dies as Rodney the boss is shown too.
SOLITARY MAN!!!!!
Dead List: One by one.
:zelenkaanime07:AAAHHH!
:ronananime01::NOOOO!!!! SHEP, THERE ARE WRAITH...AHHH!!!!!!!
:sam49::Please don't kill me...AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
:beckettanime12:Dear lord...AH!
:tomato::I can...oh.
:samanime15::You will pay...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:sheppardanime31::Urgh... "Solitary Man"
Meanwhile...
:mckayanime09::Hm, where are my detectives... Oh, I know, they went into McDonald again!

Parallel Reality
July 6th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Vegas was maybe not the best episode ever, but it was still better than most of the episodes in the second half of season five.

Martina Magnus
July 13th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Viva las vegas !!!

mrscopterdoc
October 10th, 2010, 06:02 PM
For the pure eye candy that Sheppard is, this is an awesome episode. For a Stargate Atlantis episode, not so much. It seemed more like CSI or something. Not a bad eppy, just not....great.

Linda06
October 11th, 2010, 07:04 AM
For the pure eye candy that Sheppard is, this is an awesome episode. For a Stargate Atlantis episode, not so much. It seemed more like CSI or something. Not a bad eppy, just not....great.

If was more like a bad attempt at a CSI ep :eek: ;)

Kenton-Atlantis
October 14th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I thought it was a cool episode. Season 5 was not the best but i really enjoyed it. i thought it was cool they had the 2 guys from Sopranos take part in the poker Game and when the Wraith in Captivity was doing Shakespere lol !

Infinite-Possibilities
October 17th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I watched it again little while back. It still didn't do it for me. I can sure still appreciate them trying something new, but it's just an episode about a bunch of people I don't know on a planet I don't know doing things that I wasn't quite able to follow as well as I'd like. How was it exactly that John figured out where to go in the end again? The characters may look like the ones we knew but they aren't much like them. I hardly know anything about them or how they got the points they were at. So there's' really only so much I can care about characters I just met.

I wasn't crazy about the pacing either. It felt like there was so much time building up the mystery (which wasn't surprising given you had to establish an entirely new setting to have it in too) that actually solving it was anti-climactic.

Tallifer
October 21st, 2010, 02:19 AM
This epsiode was unbelievably amazing!

I was hooked from the opening: the hot desert sun, cowboy music and a red sports car!

And plenty of goodness followed: heavy metal wraith, the poker scene, Johnny Cash, alternates for many of our favourite characters.

The best television shows make genre-crossing episodes like this. The musical episode for Buffy was one of the best episodes of all time.

Indeed up until this moment, I thought that Stargate was incapable of achieving the same sweeping variety of Doctor Who: I now see that the producers were simply never brave enough until "Vegas." (Of course judging by the attacks on this episode in this thread, I can see why the producers stuck to a narrow range of story genres throughout fifteen seasons.)

Tallifer
October 21st, 2010, 02:31 AM
On another note, I actually enjoyed this episode completely despite my normal tastes. I do not enjoy crime drama very much, I much prefer classical music to rock, gambling does not interest me and I usually hate any stories about the mob and Vegas.

This episode was Stargate through and through for me. All the cars, music, cards and rocker fashion simply made for a truly unique Stargate story, for a redolant atmosphere and fascinating background.

Falcon Horus
October 21st, 2010, 09:51 AM
All the cars, music, cards and rocker fashion simply made for a truly unique Stargate story, for a redolant atmosphere and fascinating background.

A story that you hate or love, with nothing in between.

Ulkesh47
October 22nd, 2010, 10:19 PM
A story that you hate or love, with nothing in between.
I would say that this is generally true, but my feelings toward it are that it is middle-of-the-road; some great moments, some meh execution and plot development. I quite liked the ending - it was... poetic.

Thorthewraith
February 11th, 2011, 08:34 AM
It was a so so episode...
+ sexy wraiths back
+ solitary man
+ cool metal music
+ Todd being a poet
+ Todd looking totally cute in his prisonersuit

- very confusing. No introduction, no follow up, nothing.
- It has nothing to do with the ep before and the ep after it. It's just a random episode wich they pasted into the show because they didn't know any better
- the storyline was rather boring sometimes. I wanted to press the forward button a couple of time

mercy moon
February 11th, 2011, 08:37 AM
well, it sort of had something to do with the episode that followed it - the signal sent by ('spike') the wraith crossed into 'our' universe giving the super zpm powered hive the co-ordinates to earth! :)

Siara.Corvus
February 20th, 2011, 04:00 PM
It was a so so episode...
+ sexy wraiths back
+ solitary man
+ cool metal music
+ Todd being a poet
+ Todd looking totally cute in his prisonersuit

- very confusing. No introduction, no follow up, nothing.
- It has nothing to do with the ep before and the ep after it. It's just a random episode wich they pasted into the show because they didn't know any better
- the storyline was rather boring sometimes. I wanted to press the forward button a couple of time

It was mainly there as a lead up to EaTG, with the signal passing on Earth's coordinates.
But they could have given it a better plot, have more involvement with Atlantis than just mentioning that McKay knew an AU Sheppard.

But I like how they fitted it to CSI so well, giving us a taste of their lives had things gone a different way.
It's one of my favourite eps on S5 :)

Merricles
March 6th, 2011, 04:18 AM
At first, I didn't like this ep. A lot of eps in s5 really lost me. Brain Storm, Inquisition, Identity... I mean being the LAST season, one would think they would step it up. But, I suppose they were counting on at least SG:E to happen. Anyhow, this ep def. grew on me. I loved the idea of the show being set in a different reality without any of the prime realities characters. Weak for a final season ep, but over all not a bad idea.

Hyndara71
March 6th, 2011, 06:22 AM
At first, I didn't like this ep. A lot of eps in s5 really lost me. Brain Storm, Inquisition, Identity... I mean being the LAST season, one would think they would step it up. But, I suppose they were counting on at least SG:E to happen. Anyhow, this ep def. grew on me. I loved the idea of the show being set in a different reality without any of the prime realities characters. Weak for a final season ep, but over all not a bad idea.

As much as I would like to but TPTW aren't to blame here, and, besides the fact that I adore this ep, there's a point I just want to clarify: this episode was done when they learned about the cancelation. The PTW thought there would a season 6 be greenlighted because the show had good numbers.
I'm with you about BS, Identity, and nearly every other McKeller-crap they pulled out in season 5 and I really, really hate EatG. But I'm tired to read that Vegas is s... because it's a shows-final episode, it never was and (for my own opinion) it never will. I see Vegas as the first part of a season-final not of a show's final. And, besides the fact that no one really knows what TPTW had planned for season 6, I really hope they had do something with the possibilities they opened with this ep. But don't blame the ep for something that was a future when it was planned and when it was filmed.

To ask the question: What chance they had when they learned about the cancellation? The ep was produced, there only were one or two scenes they had to re-do, the mix was nearly finished and the ep was in the list. What should they do? Throw the whole material in the trash (something that had better happened to EatG)? And than? What than? Make out of a 20 ep-season a 19 ep-season because the money was already gone?

It's your taste that you don't like Vegas, that's okay with me. But don't blame the ep for something that was only a fact after this ep was finished.

Hagazussa
March 6th, 2011, 09:28 AM
I really enjoyed Vegas, the only thing I found a bit strange with it was how important this other universe episode got for the end of the series, it is not bad but it seams a bit strange choice. Other than that I think the episode was fun it was different and the wraith character was just plain adorable.

maneth
March 20th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Loved it. I laughed at the wannabe CSI / Outer Limits stuff. And it had a totally awesome soundtrack. Interesting to see a completely different but oh so sexy Sheppard.

bluealien
September 4th, 2011, 12:43 AM
Loved it. I laughed at the wannabe CSI / Outer Limits stuff. And it had a totally awesome soundtrack. Interesting to see a completely different but oh so sexy Sheppard.

I didn't mind the CSI stuff - but the pacing was far too slow and the soundtrack unbearable. I agree Joe looked smoking hot but his character didn't resemble Sheppard at all. I woudln't have minded a look at a totally different Sheppard much earlier in the series but as the second last episode it just felt disjointed and bore no resemblance to SGA at all. I'd also had my fill of overbearing and obnoxious McKay..

garhkal
September 5th, 2011, 03:08 PM
So it seems Mccay is obnoxious in any universe!

Falcon Horus
September 7th, 2011, 11:23 AM

He wasn't really in that universe from McKay and Mrs Miller... so that's at least one less obnoxious universe. :p

Lythisrose
September 7th, 2011, 11:43 AM
He wasn't really in that universe from McKay and Mrs Miller... so that's at least one less obnoxious universe. :p

Our McKay certainly thought he was obnoxious! :P

JT-2
September 7th, 2011, 11:59 AM
I didn't actually think Rodney was obnoxious in this universe. I quite liked him here. But then, I like most everything about this episode.

Falcon Horus
September 7th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Our McKay certainly thought he was obnoxious! :P

Well, it takes a McKay to know a McKay, I guess. :p

bluealien
September 8th, 2011, 11:42 AM

Unfortunately so - and it seemed the writers couldn't have an episode where McKay isn't the most important person in every universe.

hivewarden
September 9th, 2011, 02:44 AM

I agree.. I loved JF's very different Sheppard. It didn't bother me at all. But at the same time I must admit I watched SGA after the show was cancelled, and I didn't watched it in chronological order... so yeah maybe, for the second last episode it's quite an experiment.

But still.. I love the idea of parallel universes, the thought experiments you can do with that concept. I like that they showed us "how different everything could have been". Even, or especially towards the end of the show.

And Sheppard's sexy.. no matter which universe :P

Silfrvarg
September 9th, 2011, 04:14 AM

That he is :D! I really love the different Sheppard in this episode, so different to the one we know and love but at the same time so alike.
It's probably one of my favorite episodes, I love the scene where McKay is going on about how sucky Sheppard's life is, and the ending is just wonderful.

Southern Red
September 9th, 2011, 04:14 AM
I agree.. I loved JF's very different Sheppard. It didn't bother me at all. But at the same time I must admit I watched SGA after the show was cancelled, and I didn't watched it in chronological order... so yeah maybe, for the second last episode it's quite an experiment.

But still.. I love the idea of parallel universes, the thought experiments you can do with that concept. I like that they showed us "how different everything could have been". Even, or especially towards the end of the show.

I'm glad somebody woke this thread up. I can never pass up a chance to comment on my favorite episode.

Vegas was a breath of fresh air to me. I also love alternate universes, and the big tie in to the finale made this one very relevant. JF's acting is always good, but this was just a step above. Joe has even said that this was his favorite episode, and both he and DH said they thought it would have made a good finale for the show. Boy would that have made people scream. I'm glad they didn't go there, but it did give us food for thought as to how Sheppard and the others would have turned out if things had been just slightly different.

The soundtrack was also a terrific added bonus. This is one that I love to watch over and over.

Oh, and I didn't think McKay was more obnoxious or more important than John. Sheppard was obviously the focus along with his conflict with the Wraith. McKay and the others were the connection back to Atlantis, so it was McKay's job to provide the exposition to tie the two worlds together. I think he was supposed to be humorless and very professional. Annoying yes, but in a totally different way than Rodney.

Silfrvarg
September 9th, 2011, 04:23 AM
The soundtrack was also a terrific added bonus.
This episode actually got me onto Johnny Cash, I am yet to decide whether thats a good thing :S

hivewarden
September 9th, 2011, 04:35 AM
Oh, and I didn't think McKay was more obnoxious or more important than John. Sheppard was obviously the focus along with his conflict with the Wraith. McKay and the others were the connection back to Atlantis, so it was McKay's job to provide the exposition to tie the two worlds together. I think he was supposed to be humorless and very professional. Annoying yes, but in a totally different way than Rodney.

totally agree

Southern Red
September 9th, 2011, 06:09 AM
This episode actually got me onto Johnny Cash, I am yet to decide whether thats a good thing :S

Ha, that is a very good thing indeed. I've been a long time Neil Diamond fan also and to have Solitary Man performed by Cash was just icing on the cake. I love it when fandoms collide. Throwing JF into the mix was almost too much. But in a good way.

JT-2
September 9th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Ha, that is a very good thing indeed. I've been a long time Neil Diamond fan also and to have Solitary Man performed by Cash was just icing on the cake. I love it when fandoms collide. Throwing JF into the mix was almost too much. But in a good way.

Whenever that songs comes on in my car (from my iPod) I always look over to the passenger seat to see if there's a bag full of cash on it. Someday......... ;)

Southern Red
September 9th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Whenever that songs comes on in my car (from my iPod) I always look over to the passenger seat to see if there's a bag full of cash on it. Someday......... ;)

You wish. Vegas!baby!

JT-2
September 9th, 2011, 08:58 AM
You wish. Vegas!baby!

Well, cash or John. I'm not picky. ;)

Southern Red
September 9th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Well, cash or John. I'm not picky. ;)

I thought you meant Johnny Cash there until I noticed "cash" was not capitalized. LOL I must say I'm a bit relieved.

How much cash?

JT-2
September 9th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I thought you meant Johnny Cash there until I noticed "cash" was not capitalized. LOL I must say I'm a bit relieved.

How much cash?

LOL! No, I'm not hoping to join him in the great beyond anytime soon.

How much money did John have with him in the car? Was it $30,000? That's a nice number. But like I said, I'm not picky... I'll take John Sheppard instead.

SGSargon
September 9th, 2011, 12:01 PM
That Wraith was lucky. If he ended up in Montecito, Ed Deline would of kicked him out of the casino for winning too much! :sheppard28:

Quizziard
September 9th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I've D/L'ed all the non-original music from the episode, on the basis of its appearance. Superb soundtrack.

Perelandra
September 10th, 2011, 08:26 AM
This is one of my favorite all time SGA episodes.
I just loved it, the music, the mood,the Wraith-so lost and lonely in this different world,the AU Sheppard and McKay-so different from the ones we know and love but in the end John still comes through and saves the day-even as a small-time down on his luck detective, who was close to making off with all that cash.
And this McKay so arrogant and condecending to poor Zelenka-Rodney needs John around to help him grow and humanize him.
Some were dissapointed that Ronan and Teyla were not in this one-and I'm always glad to see them-but I tend to think that in this universe Ronan and Teyla may not have even been part of the team.
After all, it was Sheppard who befriended Ronan on base and encouraged him to stay- and fought for him to stay
"We could use a guy like you."
And it was John who befriended Teyla and the Athosians and brought them back to Atlantis against Sumner's and even
Elizabeths initial objections.
For me a great episode, great acting,a keeper for me.

jfby
September 11th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I really loved this episode. For me it was like a bowl of fresh air in season 5 (sorry didn't really liked this season).
JF was really really good in it. He really gave some dimensions to this scarred John.
I loved the pace, the music, the acting with the personnage very different from the ones we know but similar in other ways.

LT. COL. John Sheppard
September 24th, 2011, 03:25 AM
it's 9:47 eastern time... still 10 minutes left... but Vegas is a very large reason why i am GLAD that Atlantis has been cancelled...

boring, dull, no sense that its a "Stargate" episode, let alone a Stargate show... and since its not "our" reality i find no interest in how it turns out...

WTF man Vegas was like the best ep of SGA yet:jack_new_anime25::jack_new_anime25:

Falcon Horus
September 24th, 2011, 03:58 AM
WTF man Vegas was like the best ep of SGA yet:jack_new_anime25::jack_new_anime25:

You might not like it but there are people out there that don't like this episode one bit - me included.

This particular episode has that particular rep for being either loved or hated with nothing in between.

LT. COL. John Sheppard
September 24th, 2011, 11:40 PM
You might not like it but there are people out there that don't like this episode one bit - me included.

This particular episode has that particular rep for being either loved or hated with nothing in between.
The only reason i loved it is because it gets away from things like the Stargate and Atlantis it was ruined by that 13 second scene with the weapons platform and that is a reason why i love SGU so much cus there is little to no off world activity

Falcon Horus
September 25th, 2011, 04:31 AM
The only reason i loved it is because it gets away from things like the Stargate and Atlantis it was ruined by that 13 second scene with the weapons platform and that is a reason why i love SGU so much cus there is little to no off world activity

For me a reason to hate it because it was a futile attempt at being something it was not - they tried CSI and forgot about Atlantis. I liked the musical choices though - probably the only I liked. And the Wraith... him too.

LT. COL. John Sheppard
September 25th, 2011, 04:52 AM
agreed with the music love solitary man & you know the radioactive man that Todd kills is Volker in sgu but i reckon that the SGA team did a good job on the CSI style love that scene with McKay, Wollsey and Zelenka bout Startrek the experience was kinda a LOL
but they did a REALLY GOOD JOB :sheppardanime23:

LT. COL. John Sheppard
September 25th, 2011, 04:55 AM
agreed have you seen McKay in SGU:mckayanime18:

LT. COL. John Sheppard
September 25th, 2011, 04:58 AM
Thank god if we lived in a universe with 2 obnoxious McKays we would all dead right now:mckayanime17:

LT. COL. John Sheppard
September 26th, 2011, 04:17 AM
For me a reason to hate it because it was a futile attempt at being something it was not - they tried CSI and forgot about Atlantis. I liked the musical choices though - probably the only I liked. And the Wraith... him too.
i believe that there should be a new Stargate series about Vegas because in Enemy at the Gate that Sub-space transition got through to our Universe and the ZPM Hive could have sent another few Hive into the Rip in the Continuum and the series could be based around that and some how bring Teyla and Ronon in (and bring Shep back to life)

Falcon Horus
September 27th, 2011, 10:36 AM
i believe that there should be a new Stargate series about Vegas because in Enemy at the Gate that Sub-space transition got through to our Universe and the ZPM Hive could have sent another few Hive into the Rip in the Continuum and the series could be based around that and some how bring Teyla and Ronon in (and bring Shep back to life)

I kinda like that idea... There should have been a follow-up - somthing that universe had to bleed through other than the signal. But alas...

But hey, perhaps someone could use this idea to write up a fanfic. I'd read it. :)

LT. COL. John Sheppard
February 18th, 2012, 01:38 AM
must bring back debate

AlexanderD
February 19th, 2012, 12:50 AM
I thought this was an interesting episode. The alternate take on our favorite characters made it an entertaining draw in my eyes.

LT. COL. John Sheppard
February 19th, 2012, 12:53 AM
I thought this was an interesting episode. The alternate take on our favorite characters made it an entertaining draw in my eyes.
it had the potential to have an SG1 crossover storyline i think

AlexanderD
February 19th, 2012, 12:54 AM
I disagree. It was great for a one episode run, but any more than that might have been too much. Besides, SG-1 was out of production when Vegas was filmed.

LT. COL. John Sheppard
February 19th, 2012, 12:56 AM
I disagree. It was great for a one episode run, but any more than that might have been too much.
good point but not a full on crossover maybe Jack and Daniel but if they put Carter there the ep would have been horrible

AlexanderD
February 19th, 2012, 12:57 AM
good point but not a full on crossover maybe Jack and Daniel but if they put Carter there the ep would have been horrible

Are you not a fan of the Carter character?

LT. COL. John Sheppard
February 19th, 2012, 01:05 AM
Are you not a fan of the Carter character?
no i like Carter but she was in SGA way to much

Kinetikat
March 14th, 2012, 01:29 PM
agreed with the music love solitary man & you know the radioactive man that Todd kills is Volker in sgu but i reckon that the SGA team did a good job on the CSI style love that scene with McKay, Wollsey and Zelenka bout Startrek the experience was kinda a LOL
but they did a REALLY GOOD JOB :sheppardanime23:

You realise that it was 'nameless Goth Wraith' who killed him and not Todd, right? And yeah, absolutely agree about John and his 'Solitary Man' track - finally got Cash off the wall and into the soundtrack, heh!

LT. COL. John Sheppard
March 16th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Neil Jackson as Wraith
David Nykl as Dr Radek Zelenka
Christopher Heyerdahl as "Todd"
Gary Jones as CMSgt. Walter Harriman
Frank Vincent as Frank
Steve Schirripa as Steve
Jody Thompson as Nurse
Mark Burgess as Laurence Foster
Chris Nowland as Crime Scene Guy
David-Paul Grove as Hotel Manager
Paul Jarrett as Captain Hendricks
Carmen Moore as Reporter
Loren Christopher Michaels as Dealer
Charlie Cohen as Poker Player
Joel Goldsmith as Poker Player
Roy Winston as Poker Player
Todd Brunson as Poker Player

Hyndara71
March 16th, 2012, 05:25 AM
I really loved this episode. For me it was like a bowl of fresh air in season 5 (sorry didn't really liked this season).
JF was really really good in it. He really gave some dimensions to this scarred John.
I loved the pace, the music, the acting with the personnage very different from the ones we know but similar in other ways.

This I only can second. This episode still blows my mind. I think 1/3 of my artwork is about Vegas and nearly half of my fanfics are playing with that reality, pre and past that episode.
And I'm with you, season 5 was kinda unwatchable sometimes. Maybe it's good that we never will get a season 6. I still fear that would be about McKeller, starring McKeller and nothing but McKeller *rolls eyes*

Kinetikat
March 17th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Neil Jackson as Wraith
David Nykl as Dr Radek Zelenka
Christopher Heyerdahl as "Todd"
Gary Jones as CMSgt. Walter Harriman
Frank Vincent as Frank
Steve Schirripa as Steve
Jody Thompson as Nurse
Mark Burgess as Laurence Foster
Chris Nowland as Crime Scene Guy
David-Paul Grove as Hotel Manager
Paul Jarrett as Captain Hendricks
Carmen Moore as Reporter
Loren Christopher Michaels as Dealer
Charlie Cohen as Poker Player
Joel Goldsmith as Poker Player
Roy Winston as Poker Player
Todd Brunson as Poker Player

So good that you know the cast list! Yes, I see that Christopher Heyerdahl played Todd. He is, as always, very wonderful in this role. However, the Todd character in 'Vegas' is NOT the Wraith who kills the radioactive guy. Todd is shut up in a big plastic hamster cage as the story begins, wearing unflattering overalls and going slowly loop de loop, and has been for years. The Wraith who kills the radioactive guy is the card-playing, shade-wearing, rock-music-playing Wraith-without-a-name played by Neil Jackson. Sorry if you didn't realise this, and I'm not trying to score points off you - 'Vegas' is one of my all time fave SGA episodes, and I love the CSI style for this one-off.

big will
July 16th, 2012, 02:18 AM
vegas is a great episode. the a-10 warthog gun run was so awsome.

Electric_Sheep
September 3rd, 2012, 01:36 AM
This episode divides people, partly due to how different it is. I thought it was a solid episode, with some moments that sort of took me out of it. One in particular is when Sheppard decides to step out into the open and approach the Wraith's trailer, making himself a very easy target. As if you would do that. It just struck me as a really stupid thing to do, as evidenced when he gets shot. Other than that, it's a pretty good episode.

mathpiglet
October 20th, 2012, 10:26 AM
It took several viewings, but I liked this episode this time. Maybe because I watched the last five episodes in a row.

Lythisrose
October 23rd, 2012, 06:20 PM
Best singular episode of the series for me. :)

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
October 25th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Great episode, but a little slow paced.

I would say something about the AU Keller, but I give it kind of because it is Vegas, and people do look a little <insert word I can't think of>.

Tomorrow, the finale of Atlantis, and the middle leg of our mission through Stargate's run. It's also the conclusion to this episode.

Krisz
October 26th, 2012, 05:01 PM
The best episode of SGA for me, mainly because it was so different. It gave us a totally different view of all the characters we've watched. Great cameos from some of the behind the scenes guys, and great guest stars made the poker scene fun to watch.

Sheppard was the star, Joe F gave a fantastic performance of this other reality Sheppard, the jaded cynical detective. The way he displayed the inherent heroism within Sheppard the man, that was buried in this reality's version was just fantastic. Doggedly trailing the Wraith and the showdown in the desert. His heroic death saving the world is one of the best moments in Stargate for me, dying alone without anyone to mourn him made for a really poignant moment.

Liked the use of popular music in this, 'Solitary Man' was just made for this Sheppard! The pounding rock music for the relentless Wraith on a mission to get in contact with his race whatever it took. Nice to see the use of the actual Vegas for 'Vegas', the total change of scenery added to the whole atmosphere of the episode.

Loved the way the Wraith made himself look like a human, good thing the vampire Goth look was fashionable. Great watching how people reacted to him as he walked through the street and the casino. What made it more realistic was that no one really gave a second look at the 'alien' amongst them!

Don Pantaloons
October 27th, 2012, 01:30 PM
I enjoyed the episode, mainly for JF's performance. It was kind of weird to have an AU episode - one that had none of the "real" characters - as the penultimate episode of the series. The ending did set up the finale, so it made sense in that regard, but it seemed like they could have accomplished the same goal a different way.

My only real gripe would be the use of the Marilyn Manson song, as it's absolute crap.

Matt G
October 30th, 2012, 04:35 PM
At some point...another ep of Atlantis...

1. Forgot how good the soundtrack was for one thing.

2. How ice-cool was that Wraith?

3. McKay was very dry here.

Very good ep.

Lieutenant Sparrow
November 2nd, 2012, 01:25 AM
Very very very cool ep. Easily my second favourite of the season. In my top 5 of Atlantis.

They have you thinking wth is going on right from the start. C.S.I Atlantis. Of course us Stargate veterans would work out very fast that it has to be an alternate reality ep.

A Wraith running rampant on Earth. Very scary. I love how while he was putting the make up on, they had Beautiful People playing in the background. Beautiful isn't quite the word I would use haha.

The Mafia guys talking about the finger that the dog bit off. That was hilarious. (Assuming they were Mafia guys)

I know Wraith are tough but that jump off the building had to hurt 'Ouch'

Hannibal Todd. I expected him to start talking about liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

Sheppard the hero. No matter what reality he's in.

Now our reality Earth is in deep do do.

garhkal
November 3rd, 2012, 01:52 PM
Makes you wonder if they ever fed that todd..

Matt G
November 8th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Well, how often did the regular Atlantis team feed 'their' Todd?

jelgate
November 10th, 2012, 06:13 PM
I wanted to watch Stargate Atlantis not CSI. I remember this was the episode where I had it with the lack of Ronon and Teyla. It had been annoying me for a while but I went a little nuts about the lack of these two with this episode aired. Some of you were there you probably mentioned it. Its just a bad episode. Its told as a cop drama with just a tiny bit of science fiction to justify having the episode being related to Stargate Atlantis. And because of that this episode is bad. I do not care about cop Sheppherd in an AU hunting down a murderer. Their are so many cop dramas that if I wanted too I could watch those TV shows. The only good part was about Woosley saying Star Trek The Experence closed down. Given Picardo's background I say it is hilarious. Like I said it is a bad episode filled of cliches that can be seen a mile away and just a ripoff of cop shows

the fifth man
November 10th, 2012, 06:46 PM
I actually remember this episode pretty fondly. I should try and re-watch it soon.

Lythisrose
February 22nd, 2013, 08:03 PM
From Joe Mallozzi's Blog (http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2013/02/22/february-22-2013-progress-report-days-of-stargate-atlantis-past-continues-with-vegas/):

Photo of Det. Sheppard (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/1155.jpg)

VEGAS (519)

Robert Cooper coined the term “shepisodes” for these John-centered entries, and this is one of my favorites, an oh-so-different AU story that follows detective John Sheppard in his hunt for a serial killing alien.

The working title was CSI: Atlantis and, given its procedural trappings and colorful eye candy Vegas location, it’s no wonder. Rob does a terrific job writing, directing and producing one of the high points of Atlantis’s fifth and final seasons, with memorable performances by all involved. Joe Flanigan is perfect as the washed up detective with nothing to lose while David Hewlett delivers a what-might-have-been version of his character who is, at heart, very clearly, very much Rodney.

Great guest-performances led by Neil Jackson as the wraith-out-of-water. And there’s even a nod to Stark Trek: The Experience compliments of actor Robert Picardo who added the inside gag while shooting.

Everyone on the production who didn’t get to go to Vegas to shoot was, of course, jealous of everyone who did. I figured everyone had learned their lesson, so I was surprised that the next series, SGU was set on a spaceship flying through some distant galaxy. I thought we’d all agreed on Stargate: Hawaii!

Photos:

While we were shooting Atlantis’s final episodes, fans were fighting to save the series. (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/1146.jpg)
Sheppard’s sweet ride (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/1147.jpg)
It looks better without the bullet holes. (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/1148.jpg)
To: Das. Love: Wraith. The incredible Neil Jackson (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/1149.jpg)
A couple of Sopranos alums guest star: Frank Vincent and Steve Schirripa. Both were stand up guys. (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/1150.jpg)
Also putting in cameos: the late Joel Goldsmith (left) and former MGM Senior Executive VP and huge Stargate supporter Charlie Cohen (middle). (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/1151.jpg)
Director Robert Cooper demonstrates sleight of hand, setting up a shot and skimming some poker winnings. (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/1152.jpg)
John Sheppard, P.I. (http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/1153.jpg)

Cluas
February 26th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Different. But not good.
That's all I will say right now...

:wraith34:

JT-2
February 27th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Best episode of season 5.

jelgate
February 27th, 2013, 06:42 PM
More like the worst episode of S5. I want to watch Stargate not CSI: Atlantis.

JT-2
February 27th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Different strokes for different folks. :)

Snowman37
February 27th, 2013, 07:16 PM
More like the worst episode of S5. I want to watch Stargate not CSI: Atlantis.
Bingo. I like CSI, but it was dumb to do this episode, especially when it's the second to last one. Maybe it might have worked mid season.

Lythisrose
February 27th, 2013, 08:02 PM
My favorite episode of the series. Like was said above, different strokes. :)

Snowman37
February 27th, 2013, 08:19 PM
That's not much to build a response on. Why is it your favorite episode?

Falcon Horus
February 28th, 2013, 10:34 AM
That's not much to build a response on. Why is it your favorite episode?

If I may guess in case of Lythisrose cause it was Sheppard-centric.

I hated it.

Lythisrose
February 28th, 2013, 10:47 AM
If I may guess in case of Lythisrose cause it was Sheppard-centric.

I hated it.

Yeah, that's my main reason. :P
Although I loved everything about it as I have stated (probably many times on this thread). The music, the cinematography, the Wraith, the edgy Rodney and down and out Shep just pinged all my buttons. At that point in time I was a big CSI fan so I thought it was a quirky little homage to that series. The only thing that would have made it better would have been if they'd included Teyla and Ronon somehow (and that's a major reason I'd think people wouldn't like this ep). I cried on and off for a week after watching it, it had such an emotional impact for me. And yes, I was irrationally happy to finally see Sheppard getting the spotlight after what seemed to be a Rodney/Keller fest in Season 5. :)

Falcon Horus
February 28th, 2013, 11:04 AM
I didn't like it cause I didn't think the story was all that great, it was disjointed at best. It didn't fit in.

Did like the music though, and the Wraith. But overall, it's very low on my list.

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
August 20th, 2013, 06:19 AM
i liked this episode a lot but i never noticed but when Rodney was talking to sheppard about how he met another version of him outside of Area 51 i kinda noticed a slight version of the atlantis score playing the background.

garhkal
August 20th, 2013, 12:12 PM
There were several instances iirc to atlantis's score playing in the backround.

Though it would have been nice had this been stretched out into a 2 parter, to show more of 'todds captivity'.

Baron Of Hell
September 12th, 2013, 10:16 PM
I really liked this the first time I watched it. On the second go around it doesn't hold up as much but I stilled liked the episode.

I think this was one of the more original Earth episodes to air. They style and music were really fun. I thought explanation at the end was cool. I thought it was going to be virtual reality type thing or a dream. I'm glad they went another way with this story.

All in all I just found it fun to watch.

bunny fear
September 21st, 2013, 05:58 AM
Just finished my entire SGA rewatch and remembered not really taking to 'Vegas' the first time but this time around I enjoyed it a lot more (although lacking in Teyla and Ronan).

I was originally unsure as I knew when I watched it was the penultimate episode and therefore could not understand why they were 'wasting time' with a rather offbeat episode that wasn't really carrying the story forward. This time I enjoyed it for what is was...a stand alone episode that tied into the final episode in the last few minutes. Joe was excellent as well ;)

Night Maiden
September 4th, 2014, 10:21 AM
Zipper chain!
http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=253047&fullsize=1

Bagpuss
September 4th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Zipper chain!
http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=253047&fullsize=1

Let's see if it shows as a url ...
Edit: Yes!:D

losernerdfriend
April 8th, 2016, 08:12 PM
First watch.

I really liked this episode. First, they did an extremely good just of parodying CSI. I was dying. Haha.

I gathered pretty quickly that this ep was set in an alternate timeline/reality. Because it was the penultimate episode tho, I was unsure why we were seeing this episode.

When they tied it all together at the end with earth's location being broadcast to other realities, I was impressed. It was a good way to tie the episode together and lead into the finale.

The music for this episode was fantastic. I thought all of it worked in really well.

"I'll show you your destiny, John Sheppard." I thought the delivery of this line was perfect. It made me think that Todd somehow was from the right reality/timeline and was helping John because he owed him one. It would've been interesting if TPTB went this way with the story.

BethHG
August 9th, 2018, 08:52 PM
I remember really liking this episode at its first airing. Now, not so much. I think it is more about the timing of it in the series itself. Maybe it would have been better as episode 17 or 18? It just felt like a stall before the big ending, and it just doesn't fit with the overall feeling of the series.

In itself it is decent, and I actually liked this McKay-- he was a bit more comfortable in his own skin. I liked the soundtrack with all the Johnny Cash. It was an interesting take, but again, it didn't seem to fit. It could be because I now have the ability to watch one show after the other that the timing is bothering me so much; whereas, when it first aired, I just felt the anticipation of the finale, so I didn't notice how stilted it feels to me now.