PDA

View Full Version : will Todd be the only Wraith who doesn't need to feed?

AscendedThor
December 5th, 2008, 11:47 PM
i have no doubt that he'll survive being cured by the bug queen. he'll be very unique wraith since he'll be the only one who doesn't need to feed.

maybe he'll be rejected and exiled by the rest of the Wraith because of this and will come to Atlantis and join shepperd's team

Bobby
December 6th, 2008, 12:02 AM
I'm sure the IOA, Woolsey and in particular Ronan will LOVE that idea. lol

dasNdanger
December 6th, 2008, 12:13 AM
I think this could be a possibility - however, since I love the Wraith as a whole, and not just Todd (though I do adore that big, handsome hunk of bugmeat :D ), I will not be happy if they only save ONE Wraith, while exterminating the rest.

das

SerenaSerenity
December 6th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I think he would be rejected. Micheal was rejected for being different after all. And even though Todd is less different, he is still different. And I don't think they'll be to happy about it. *nod nod* My own personal opinion of course.

Anon
December 6th, 2008, 04:20 AM
nah, he will find his way to the top, maybe with some of our help, but he will

Laura Dove
December 6th, 2008, 05:03 AM
i have no doubt that he'll survive being cured by the bug queen. he'll be very unique wraith since he'll be the only one who doesn't need to feed.
maybe he'll be rejected and exiled by the rest of the Wraith because of this and will come to Atlantis and join shepperd's team

I wonder whether the iratus bug will do more than just healing him? Could it turn him into a full wraith again? In which case, he lost his hive and his crew AGAIN, but he could regain his status among wraith.

rsanchez
December 6th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Didn't Todd say that being fed upon by an Aretes bug queen, if not fatal, would completely cure him, as in back to being a good old Wraith?

masterling
December 6th, 2008, 05:17 AM
todd said that the treatment wouldnt cure the disease but undue it.... does this mean undo the treatment as well???

Keller: he says he has found a way to fix this
shep: fix what? cure the disease
Todd: not cure it but undue it
Todd:......a terminally ill wraith could occasionally return himself to perfect health....

Is this prefect health one that includes the ability to fed again???

rsanchez
December 6th, 2008, 05:23 AM
Yeah that's what I was thinking of. The disease was a result of the gene treatment, so to undo it the gene therapy would have to be removed, so Todd can feed again and not have to be the next Michael.

AscendedThor
December 6th, 2008, 08:57 AM
no the problem was that because they were no longer feeding, their healing powers and immune system weakened. that's why they became sick. (not because of the gene therapy itself which worked perfectly).
the Iratus bug can simply cure a wraith from any disease (maybe making him immune as well) but it kills most of the wraith who try to use it.
so once Todd does it it will cure his illness but he'll still have the altered genes and the inability to feed.
since its so rare for a wraith to survive the bug no other wraith would want to risk and try it. therefore Todd will become the only healthy wraith that doesn't need to feed.

this is obviously where the story is going. otherwise this whole episode would have been for nothing if it all came back to just the way it was before

SerenaSerenity
December 6th, 2008, 10:07 AM
no the problem was that because they were no longer feeding, their healing powers and immune system weakened. that's why they became sick. (not because of the gene therapy itself which worked perfectly).
the Iratus bug can simply cure a wraith from any disease (maybe making him immune as well) but it kills most of the wraith who try to use it.
so once Todd does it it will cure his illness but he'll still have the altered genes and the inability to feed.
since its so rare for a wraith to survive the bug no other wraith would want to risk and try it. therefore Todd will become the only healthy wraith that doesn't need to feed.

this is obviously where the story is going. otherwise this whole episode would have been for nothing if it all came back to just the way it was before

I don't think he said that it was a cure. I could be wrong, have been before. He said it was a way to undo it, as stated previously. But it could mean to take out the disease, or to revert him back to himself. Who really knows till we see him again. *nod nod* My own personal opinion of course. Nothing against your opinion. To each their own.

GoSpikey
December 6th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Well, the treatment isn't the disease, you heard Todd. It went fine at first, until they were dying from the lack of their fine protective immunity system.

I guess the bug will for a while take over that immunity system, cure the disease out of the Wraith, without changing his genes?

Well, guess you don't always need a super weapon to destroy the enemy, or bring the solution, I should say.

A bug will do just as good.

I seriously hope it doesn't undo the treatment, because that would be too convenient, not that I like it that Todd is the only non-feeding Wraith out there...

AscendedThor
December 6th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I don't think he said that it was a cure. I could be wrong, have been before. He said it was a way to undo it, as stated previously. But it could mean to take out the disease, or to revert him back to himself. Who really knows till we see him again. *nod nod* My own personal opinion of course. Nothing against your opinion. To each their own.

since no one has ever tried this gene therapy on a wraith, how would Todd know that the Bug would reverse it?
he was obviously referring to the disease that they suffered from.
the bug will cure the disease but it won't reverse the procedure

Infinite-Possibilities
December 6th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I think it came across as very ambiguous and could easily be written in either direction. So its impossible to say for certain.

Ruffles
December 6th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I think it came across as very ambiguous and could easily be written in either direction. So its impossible to say for certain.

I agree. Though if I had to guess, I would say the Iratus bug bite will allow him to feed again.

rsanchez
December 6th, 2008, 05:21 PM
no the problem was that because they were no longer feeding, their healing powers and immune system weakened.
Then why did the hive become sick? I think it's more that the genes took away the healing powers, and when the Iratus bug undoes it, it will undo the gene therapy as well, reverting Todd to his old Wraith self. It sort of makes sense. The Iratus and the Wraith are related, and the Wraith evolved from Iratus mixing with humans, so the Iratus must have some mechanism for mixing its DNA with its host, maybe a virus produced by the bug.

SerenaSerenity
December 7th, 2008, 07:40 PM
since no one has ever tried this gene therapy on a wraith, how would Todd know that the Bug would reverse it?
he was obviously referring to the disease that they suffered from.
the bug will cure the disease but it won't reverse the procedure

I have nothing against your own opinion. To each their own. I just disagree. And if I'm wrong, then I'll be the first to admit it. *nod nod* I just think that it may just reverse the whole process. But that is my own personal opinion.

FallenAngelII
December 7th, 2008, 08:59 PM
I think he would be rejected. Micheal was rejected for being different after all. And even though Todd is less different, he is still different.
But he is different in a good way. No longer is dependent on a very limited food supply.

Besides, do they check for handginas regularly or something? Just don't let other people see your lack of one and you'll be OK.

rsanchez
December 8th, 2008, 08:25 AM
I think the Wraith will sense that something happened to him, just like they sensed something was up with Michael. Todd's transformation wasn't as dramatic as Michael's was, but I think it can still be sensed by the Wraith.

nx01a
December 9th, 2008, 02:15 PM
I'd love if contact with an Iratus queen make Todd revert to full Wraith status... and the Atlantis team doesn't know. When he shows up the next time and shakes John's hand... :D

Todds worshipper
December 9th, 2008, 02:28 PM
The behind-the-scenes pics of Todd in Enemy At The Gate conveniently don't show the palm of his right hand ....grrrr.
I hope he does revert back to his normal self (undo it - like he said). Otherwise, I think he'll miss the built-in weapon he's had for more than 10,000 years. Wouldn't you?
I also, desperately want to swap places with the Queen bug he's going to use. I'd be a very gentle bug too...and take my time (a long, long time - the next 10,000 years ought to do it) :D

naamiaiset
December 9th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I'd love if contact with an Iratus queen make Todd revert to full Wraith status... and the Atlantis team doesn't know. When he shows up the next time and shakes John's hand... :D
:lol:

Todd said the iratus would undo the disease/restore his health, not undo the therapy or restore his ability to feed. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time Todd only told half the story. ;)

Laura Dove
December 9th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Todd said the iratus would undo the disease/restore his health, not undo the therapy or restore his ability to feed. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time Todd only told half the story. ;)

Maybe he doesn't know himself. The way he talked about it, he seemed confident it would either heal him or kill him, but he didn't appear to have a definite idea of the exact mechanism.

nx01a
December 9th, 2008, 02:44 PM
We saw how Shep reacted when transformed into a super-Iratus/human hybrid. Something similar could happen with Todd.
I like him as a full Wraith, none of this dumb Michael 'I don't know what I am. *sob*' crap.

naamiaiset
December 9th, 2008, 02:51 PM
We saw how Shep reacted when transformed into a super-Iratus/human hybrid. Something similar could happen with Todd.
I like him as a full Wraith, none of this dumb Michael 'I don't know what I am. *sob*' crap.
Why would the iratus turn Todd in to a hybrid? Wraith are evolved from the iratus bug. :p

nx01a
December 9th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I meant his current status. He's not quite Wraith and not quite human. Contact with the bug gave Shep really enhanced abilities, maybe contact with an Iratus queen will not only heal Todd but restore him to full Wraith status. I'll be happy with my Todd being a full Wraith with Asgard plasma beams technology :D

GoSpikey
December 9th, 2008, 03:24 PM
*Your* Todd?

You're the Enterprise, you don't *have* a Todd... :rolleyes:

:P

Or what else did you think was going to stick of that sentence or two? ;)

naamiaiset
December 9th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I meant his current status. He's not quite Wraith and not quite human. Contact with the bug gave Shep really enhanced abilities, maybe contact with an Iratus queen will not only heal Todd but restore him to full Wraith status. I'll be happy with my Todd being a full Wraith with Asgard plasma beams technology :D
Super Todd? :p If the iratus does restore Todd's abilities, I think he'll just be like he was prior to the treatment.

nx01a
December 9th, 2008, 03:36 PM
*Your* Todd?
You're the Enterprise, you don't *have* a Todd... :rolleyes:
:P
Or what else did you think was going to stick of that sentence or two? ;)Strangely, he's my favourite character on SGA. :PI don't know what I expected to stick. Obviously I failed. Sorry.

GoSpikey
December 9th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Super Todd? :p If the iratus does restore Todd's abilities, I think he'll just be like he was prior to the treatment.

Maybe he'll be sprouting these cute little red horns, next time we meet.

Would go well with Christmast, green face, red horns, and some X-mas lights around him. :o

(I know he's normal-looking in EatG, don't worry.)

Strangely, he's my favourite character on SGA. :PI don't know what I expected to stick. Obviously I failed. Sorry.

:lol: *g*

nx01a
December 9th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Todd, the red-palmed Wraith? Had a very shiny forehead?

The implications of Todd being the only Wraith who can't feed would simply lead down the same road of loneliness, resentment and genocidal intent as Michael, and we saw how horribly and, in some instances, laughably that turned out. Magically restore him and let's get back to the story at hand. Please.

GoSpikey
December 9th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Michael turned out laughable because the writers don't have the stones to do something with the character, not Michael's fault. They had a nice opportunity to make the show more dark, more dramatic, but they naturally chose to end it quickly, and in a lame manner, again... :rolleyes: God forbid the show getting darker, or makes us actually use our brains, thinking about morality...

Anyway, I don't know what they have in store for Todd. If they can deploy that virus some day, great, but if Todd is to remain handgina-less (*cry* that's one thing less to lick, see if it's ticklish) then I hope it won't be detected, sensed.

nx01a
December 9th, 2008, 05:02 PM
...and you had words for me calling him 'my' Todd? :P

FallenAngelII
December 10th, 2008, 11:05 AM
There's no way for Todd to know what will happen from the Iratus bug queen therapy besides killing him or restoring his health and immune system.

Because no Wraith has ever gone through such a treatment after going through the Lantean treatment. So he can't know if he'll be restored fully.

Though I doubt it. Despite the writers' disposition for throwing genetics out the window whenever they feel like it, it'd make no sense. It's not a retrovirus, programmed to alter DNA in a specific way.

Why would get fed off of by the queen magically restore his ability to feed, his handgina and/or remove his ability to survive on "normal" food?

John got fed on by a bug once. Nothing happened to his DNA. Unless we've gonna argue that queens are special creatures with the ability to change DNA...

ciannwn
December 10th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Contact with the bug gave Shep really enhanced abilities,

Sheppard started turning into a bug after Ellia infected him with Beckett's prototype retrovirus.

GoSpikey
December 12th, 2008, 12:14 PM
...and you had words for me calling him 'my' Todd? :P

Well, yes, you see...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a172/Wendy_the_Bloody/Emoticons/todd_spikey.gif and http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a172/Wendy_the_Bloody/Emoticons/michael_spikey.gif

And don't they know it... http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a172/Wendy_the_Bloody/Emoticons/tongue.gif

naamiaiset
December 12th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Well, yes, you see...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a172/Wendy_the_Bloody/Emoticons/todd_spikey.gif and http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a172/Wendy_the_Bloody/Emoticons/michael_spikey.gif

And don't they know it... http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a172/Wendy_the_Bloody/Emoticons/tongue.gif
That was my idea, so who has ownership (of at least one of them :p)?

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll123/naamiaiset/zsga/emoticons/todd_naami.gif

Though I doubt it. Despite the writers' disposition for throwing genetics out the window whenever they feel like it, it'd make no sense. It's not a retrovirus, programmed to alter DNA in a specific way.

Why would get fed off of by the queen magically restore his ability to feed, his handgina and/or remove his ability to survive on "normal" food?
:indeed:

GoSpikey
December 12th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Well, I posted in here with them first, so... Now go to the other thread that I bumped. ;)

chocolate_muffin
December 12th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Handgina .. *snickers*
It would seem like a bit of a cop-out for Todd to not get his feeding hand back. Although, how exactly would an iratus bug - even a queen - be able to fix the wraith DNA? It doesn't seem logical, the two species shouldn't be so closely connected that it would be able to know what to fix and how. Would be quite intriguing though if it turned out the iratus bug queens had some kind of telepathic connection with the Wraith.

Todd's Pet
December 12th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Just bring Todd back, with or without the handgina (great word btw;))

I guess they've left it ambiguous so they can write it whichever way they feel like it when they get there!
I must admit, though, I kinda like the idea of Todd as one of the SGA team. Well, if it's good enough for Teal'c...

chocolate_muffin
December 12th, 2008, 02:06 PM
It seems a bit different though, having a Todd without handgina vs a Teal'c without symbiote. Teal'c didn't get special powers and a weapon out of having the snake in his belly.

GoSpikey
December 12th, 2008, 02:08 PM
TP,

We call it handgina on the WDC. ;)

:D

nx01a
December 12th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Sheppard started turning into a bug after Ellia infected him with Beckett's prototype retrovirus.Ah, yes, point. The retrovirus prototype did the opposite: enhancing the Iratus side as opposed to the human side. Maybe the Iratus queen does some kind of DNA transfer with the host, that's how the Wraith came about, right? The Iratus becoming more like those they fed on, i.e. humans.

ciannwn
December 12th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Maybe the Iratus queen does some kind of DNA transfer with the host, that's how the Wraith came about, right? The Iratus becoming more like those they fed on, i.e. humans.

Michael seems to have based his creation of super soldiers on what happened with Wraith evolution. From 'Vengeance'.

MICHAEL (voiceover): I allowed the bug to gorge itself, to absorb as much human D.N.A. as possible. This, of course, led to the death of the subject.

MICHAEL (voiceover): The timing of the feeding was critical -- ensuring that the bug laid its next egg quickly, before the genetic material could filter out of its body.

MICHAEL (voiceover): The embryo then contained enough human D.N.A. for me to manipulate.

SerenaSerenity
December 13th, 2008, 08:21 AM
But he is different in a good way. No longer is dependent on a very limited food supply.

Besides, do they check for handginas regularly or something? Just don't let other people see your lack of one and you'll be OK.

I agree. It is a good different. And if he manages not to let them see his hand, he might be okay. But I think they would begin to wonder why he wasn't seen feeding like the rest of them.

But I do agree that it is a good different. And I have nothing against your opinion. *smiles and nods*

nx01a
December 13th, 2008, 10:13 AM
The Wraith could sense something odd about Michael. Perhaps they'd sense Todd's difference, too.

Todd's Pet
December 13th, 2008, 01:37 PM
The Wraith could sense something odd about Michael. Perhaps they'd sense Todd's difference, too.

But then. Michael was "infected" with human DNA, Todd is not humanised, he just doesn't have his handgina any more.

nx01a
December 15th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Keller said that the modified Wraith would have more human characteristics, like the ability to metabolize food and no... hand... ginas. I assumed that meant increasing the human aspects of their DNA and downplaying the Iratus. Not to mention that Keller said the treatment would diminish the Wraith's other abilities. Still, if a Wraith Queen couldn't sense the truth about Teyla in The Queen, then Todd should be fine.