Enterprise- "The Forge"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enterprise- "The Forge"

So, uh, this episode was pretty cool. There were a few spots that dragged for me, but overall, it was great.

I had heard the rumors for months now, but I still couldn't bring myself to believe that they were actually going to kill Admiral Forrest. I mean, I was thinking that it might be some kind of relative of his, or something like that, but no- they killed him. Even with the forknowledge, I didn't think they would do that.

The scene in the beginning with Forrest and Soval was awesome. I loved when Soval was speaking of how he tries to categorize humans, and the many ways in which he can compare them to other species. It was also pretty cool to hear that Vulcans "fear" Humans because of the part of them that they see in themselves.

It took us a while, but Soval has become a full-on character. I mean, I've always liked him in his guest appearances in the last 3 seasons- I don't remember one episode where I was unpleased with the character and the actor's work. But now, this is the first time where I feel like there's a great deal of personal focus placed on him, and he shines. It was cool to see him go through the Mind-Meld also.

This is the first ep penned by the family duo, the Reeves-Stevenses, and they immediately make their specific style known, and I absolutely LOVE IT. What other writers may fail to do, or forget about, is to try utilizing every member of the team, and to "wank" their characters, even when they're not even actually on-screen. The Reeves-Stevenses were constantly making great use of throwaway lines to help flesh-out our view of characters or events, even if only in a small way.

Some of my favorites were when T'Pol explains about her pet as a child, when Archer mentiones the Klingon opera Hoshi made them listen to, and the supercool prequel-esque line about Soval wondering what Humans might accomplish in a century. GREAT! This is the kinda stuff they need to do more often!

And now for the part that dragged for me. The desert stuff... I'm sorry, but whenever a small group of characters is stuck in a treacherous desert on some planet, my brain just shuts down. I don't know what it is, but I just find it incredibly boring. It just... wasn't there for me. Even when they got into the caves, the only interesting part was when T'Pol and Whatsisname got struck by that electrical... stuff. We get more shades of "Wrath of Khan" in this moment, with a dying Vulcan mind-melding with a human and saying "Remember..." I'm fairly certain I know what happens next...

So, overall, this ep was pretty good. Not really a favorite of mine this season, but still very nice. I was expecting the "Oops, we screwed up for 3 seasons, but now we're fixing it" feeling to be higher, but the writers found a way to make it feel like it was suppose to be like this all along, which I appreciated. I give this ep a B.

And the promo for the next ep shows an Enterprise Shuttlepod flying toward Vulcan, but the wings are extending WAY OUT, which really got me interested. Looks like the Shuttlepods were upgraded along with Enterprise. Should be interesting.

Have you noticed how they've been using the transporter a lot more this season? Have they finally become comfortable with it?
    Rocky

Comment

Yeah, I noticed that too. Not only are they using it more, they're using it in all sorts of different ways. They did some wierd thing to avoid detection in "Cold Station 12" and then they trasported Archer from space in "The Augments."

It kinda stretches believeability for me just a bit, considering the problems they've had with the Transporter in previous seasons, but I guess they've worked out some of the bugs after the upgrade in "Home."

Comment

Don't forget they will be getting another transporter upgrade or soemthing in Daedalus.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
        [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Yeah, I'm looking forward to that one. It's one of the two non-arc eps that have been confirmed so far. The other non-arc ep.... Well, let's just say I'll wait till it comes out before I say anything.

Comment

Observer effect?

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Comment

I thought "The Forge" was pretty good. I refuse to believe that Forrest is dead though. I'm one of the people who believe Forrest is really evil, and that he's the Temporal Shower Guy Silik took orders from. So yeah, he's so evil he survived the explosion and put in a fake cloned body or something in his place.

I really did like the episode though. All the little references (IDIC, Mt. Selaya, Teddy Bear thing, Vulcan's inner eyelid) were cool. My favorite thought was when that Syyranite guy said that Surak died right before the last battle with those who marched under the wings of the Raptor, who wanted to go back to the Vulcan's warlike ways. Yay for Romulan mentions!
              MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

He didn't say 'warlike' ways. He said 'ways of the past'. As in, those who embraced emotion.

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                  He didn't say 'warlike' ways. He said 'ways of the past'. As in, those who embraced emotion.
                  Blasted emotion embracers.
                  Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by Vapor
                    So, uh, this episode was pretty cool. There were a few spots that dragged for me, but overall, it was great.

I had heard the rumors for months now, but I still couldn't bring myself to believe that they were actually going to kill Admiral Forrest. I mean, I was thinking that it might be some kind of relative of his, or something like that, but no- they killed him. Even with the forknowledge, I didn't think they would do that.

The scene in the beginning with Forrest and Soval was awesome. I loved when Soval was speaking of how he tries to categorize humans, and the many ways in which he can compare them to other species. It was also pretty cool to hear that Vulcans "fear" Humans because of the part of them that they see in themselves.

It took us a while, but Soval has become a full-on character. I mean, I've always liked him in his guest appearances in the last 3 seasons- I don't remember one episode where I was unpleased with the character and the actor's work. But now, this is the first time where I feel like there's a great deal of personal focus placed on him, and he shines. It was cool to see him go through the Mind-Meld also.

This is the first ep penned by the family duo, the Reeves-Stevenses, and they immediately make their specific style known, and I absolutely LOVE IT. What other writers may fail to do, or forget about, is to try utilizing every member of the team, and to "wank" their characters, even when they're not even actually on-screen. The Reeves-Stevenses were constantly making great use of throwaway lines to help flesh-out our view of characters or events, even if only in a small way.

Some of my favorites were when T'Pol explains about her pet as a child, when Archer mentiones the Klingon opera Hoshi made them listen to, and the supercool prequel-esque line about Soval wondering what Humans might accomplish in a century. GREAT! This is the kinda stuff they need to do more often!

And now for the part that dragged for me. The desert stuff... I'm sorry, but whenever a small group of characters is stuck in a treacherous desert on some planet, my brain just shuts down. I don't know what it is, but I just find it incredibly boring. It just... wasn't there for me. Even when they got into the caves, the only interesting part was when T'Pol and Whatsisname got struck by that electrical... stuff. We get more shades of "Wrath of Khan" in this moment, with a dying Vulcan mind-melding with a human and saying "Remember..." I'm fairly certain I know what happens next...

So, overall, this ep was pretty good. Not really a favorite of mine this season, but still very nice. I was expecting the "Oops, we screwed up for 3 seasons, but now we're fixing it" feeling to be higher, but the writers found a way to make it feel like it was suppose to be like this all along, which I appreciated. I give this ep a B.

And the promo for the next ep shows an Enterprise Shuttlepod flying toward Vulcan, but the wings are extending WAY OUT, which really got me interested. Looks like the Shuttlepods were upgraded along with Enterprise. Should be interesting.
                    Enterprise is getting so much better, I love it so far this season -- all episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                      The 'ways of the past' include being warlike, since it's been said that before the Vulcans embraced logic they were constantly fighting each other. Hence there having to be a "last battle" with the proto-Romulans.
                      MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

Working...
                      X