Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jackman ready to leave Wolverine behind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jackman ready to leave Wolverine behind?

Hugh Jackman has revealed that he will happily walk away from Wolverine if the movie based on the character flops next year.

The actor said that if audiences do not like X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which is released in the US on May 1, he will not play the role again.

''If it's clear to us on May 2 or 3 that [the appeal's] gone, then I'll walk away happily," he told Moviehole.

''I'm not going to flog something, or flog a dead horse, or try and make movies that people don't really want to go and see. I have no interest in that, no matter how much I love the character."

However, Jackman expressed an interest in making a follow-up to the picture if it performs well at the box office.

"There's a few storylines that are running my head which I think would be really cool, but unless the script is right, then I just don’t see the point in doing it," he said.

"I'm probably at the point in my career where I don't need it, and the last thing I want to do is just to push it on people if it doesn't warrant a full feature movie."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a...ne-behind.html

Well, for what it is worth, I really hope Wolverine does amazingly well at the box office. I think Jackman has portrayed the character very well, and want to see more of him in the role.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

It only makes sense - if people have superhero overload and don't turn out for the movie, why make more? I do think, however, that Wolverine has a certain appeal that other heroes lack. Problem is, Jackman - as a rule - is not a huge box office draw, so time will tell how well this movie does. I hope it knocks everyone's socks off...mine included.

Now, I love Wolverine - comic book Wolverine, not Jackman. I can go to the movie and see it as an AU, or something, if it doesn't stick strictly to canon. However, a LOT of fanboys (and a few girls) out there get really upset if the movie isn't E.X.A.C.T.L.Y. like the comics, and they just can't accept or enjoy the movie for what it is. That's the only thing I can see happening here...fans hating the movie because it doesn't adhere strictly to the comics.

das
      sigpic

Comment

I'm relatively flexible when it comes to stuff like that. I'm willing to bend here and there when it comes to them strictly following the comics or not. IMO, some changes are made for the better of the film.
        sigpic
        "...phu...ah..."

Comment

I think he's shown a lot of common sense here, because he sees that if the fans aren't happy with the movie then there is no point in continuing. Imagine just how different things would be if Reeve had left it at Superman II, or they decided that Batman wasn't worth doing without Burton and Keaton.

He's had great success as Wolverine in the X-Men movies and in my opinion it's what really made him a star and the movies were also his most profitable at the box office. I see no reason whatsoever that Wolverine would fail or that it won't be as big a success as X-Men 1-3 (the same goes for Magneto and First Class) but it's good to see that he knows there isn't a point in continuing something that could ruin the character.

Superman III and IV killed that franchise for 20 years, Batman & Robin killed that franchise for almost 10. So I'd hate to see the same thing happen to Wolverine. Best to end things in a good note as opposed to keep going on and doing more harm than good.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
            Superman III and IV killed that franchise for 20 years, Batman & Robin killed that franchise for almost 10. So I'd hate to see the same thing happen to Wolverine. Best to end things in a good note as opposed to keep going on and doing more harm than good.
            I do agree with that.
            sigpic
            "...phu...ah..."

Comment

I don't think it will be a huge success, but still might go alright at the same time. Jackson will probably do a great job as per usual, just depends upon the strength of the writing, and how much interest there is in the character.
              Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
                It only makes sense - if people have superhero overload and don't turn out for the movie, why make more? I do think, however, that Wolverine has a certain appeal that other heroes lack. Problem is, Jackman - as a rule - is not a huge box office draw, so time will tell how well this movie does. I hope it knocks everyone's socks off...mine included.

Now, I love Wolverine - comic book Wolverine, not Jackman. I can go to the movie and see it as an AU, or something, if it doesn't stick strictly to canon. However, a LOT of fanboys (and a few girls) out there get really upset if the movie isn't E.X.A.C.T.L.Y. like the comics, and they just can't accept or enjoy the movie for what it is. That's the only thing I can see happening here...fans hating the movie because it doesn't adhere strictly to the comics.

das

as long as it's closer to the comics than x-men 3 i don't mind
                Spoiler:
                Disclaimer:
                I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                Quotes!
                - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X