Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Atlantis - MGM Stargate: Behind the Scenes: Brain Storm

At MGM Stargate:

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

Behind the Scenes: Brain Storm

November 24, 2008 (Episodes)

Writer/Producer Martin Gero has been part of the Stargate universe since Atlantis’ first season, and was a huge part of making the franchise’s first spin-off a success. Here, he discusses directing ‘Brain Storm’ – his last script for the series.

A brief excerpt:

Stargate Atlantis without Martin Gero would have been a very different show. The young writer’s style fitted perfectly with the franchise’s established wit, and his ability to add banter to his scripts apparently ad infinitum leant the series some of its funniest moments. Gero has always confessed to a particular affinity with McKay, and so it was supremely fitting that his last script for the series, ‘Brain Storm’, ended up being a McKay-centric story, rounding out one of the on-going arcs for the character – his rather unexpected love story with Jennifer Keller.

For Gero, ‘Brain Storm’ was doubly memorable, since besides being the last script he would write for Stargate Atlantis in series, it would also be his first experience directing a full episode of the show.

**snippage**

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

For five years, we didn’t even know it, but all that guy wanted was for someone to tell him that they loved him in an unconditional way. It explains a lot about McKay! It was this beautiful moment, and I got very emotional. It just felt like I’d taken this guy on quite a trip – we all have, as writers – and to a certain extent he’s now a better human being. He’s got love in his life, and at the end of the day, that’s the quest that all of us are going after. We go about it in lots of different ways – some of us fight bad guys and hope the Universe will love us, and some of us are less extravagant in our pursuits! But for McKay, I really think he just needed to be loved.” Gero laughs, “It’s a weird touchy-feely thing to say about a show that’s so tongue in cheek and doesn’t take itself seriously, but it was a nice moment to end what for me, personally, has been an extraordinary five year run.”
    I think that just made me love Gero even more.

Thanks, morjana!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post

For Gero, Brain Storm was doubly memorable, since besides being the last script he would write for Stargate Atlantis in series, it would also be his first experience directing a full episode of the show.

**snippage**
      Um, after seeing Brainstorm I really wish he'd stopped at The Lost Tribe.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonG View Post
        Um, after seeing Brainstorm I really wish he'd stopped at The Lost Tribe.
        Ditto!

Touchy feely? OMG, where's the barf bag? I used to really respect Gero... now I think he's had a bit of a Brain storm himself... and not a good one at that!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
          Ditto!

Touchy feely? OMG, where's the barf bag? I used to really respect Gero... now I think he's had a bit of a Brain storm himself... and not a good one at that!
          Brain Storm is nothing more than a fanboy's fantasy. 'nuff said.

Comment

I don’t think it’s a secret that the character I latched on to the most is McKay,” he says frankly. “I have a great fondness for that character. And the last shot of my last day on Atlantis as a writer, as a director, and for all intents and purposes as a producer, was shooting the scene where Keller finally tells him that she loves him. And David’s face [as McKay] warmed up, and he was so happy… It was a weird thing, because it felt like closure to me. For five years, we didn’t even know it, but all that guy wanted was for someone to tell him that they loved him in an unconditional way. It explains a lot about McKay! It was this beautiful moment, and I got very emotional. It just felt like I’d taken this guy on quite a trip – we all have, as writers – and to a certain extent he’s now a better human being. He’s got love in his life, and at the end of the day, that’s the quest that all of us are going after. We go about it in lots of different ways – some of us fight bad guys and hope the Universe will love us, and some of us are less extravagant in our pursuits! But for McKay, I really think he just needed to be loved.” Gero laughs, “It’s a weird touchy-feely thing to say about a show that’s so tongue in cheek and doesn’t take itself seriously, but it was a nice moment to end what for me, personally, has been an extraordinary five year run.”

Oh we would never have guessed that the only character he was ever interested in was McKay.. I think all the other characters got to bear the brunt of that obsession.. This is honestly the biggest load of bull I have ever read and it proves that Gero seems to have totally forgotten that Stargate Atlantis was an ensemble show and not the McKay hour, so my respect for Gero has totally plummeted. So, rude arogant McKay is the only person deserving of love on the show, unless he wants to count the invisble lover for Teyla who seems to be constantly off world so no one has to write for him.

Instead of once again indulging in his McKay obsession it would have been nice to have tried to round up some of the other character arcs.. oh I forgot the're weren't any other arcs....
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
              I think all the other characters got to bear the brunt of that obsession.:
              The show got to bear the brunt of that obsession. Gero was behind Jewel Staite being miscast in a role that she was too young for in order to get her on the show, Gero was behind the McKeller romance that began in Trio, Gero has been the main person all along for bringing in a Mary Sue for Rodney, a character that he has well and truly over identified with (and as much as I enjoy the Rodney character, even I have to admit that he's been over exposed to the detriment of the other characters development).

This is what 18 year old girls do when they first get into fandom, not something I would expect from an adult. YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by ponycake View Post
                The show got to bear the brunt of that obsession. Gero was behind Jewel Staite being miscast in a role that she was too young for in order to get her on the show, Gero was behind the McKeller romance that began in Trio, Gero has been the main person all along for bringing in a Mary Sue for Rodney, a character that he has well and truly over identified with (and as much as I enjoy the Rodney character, even I have to admit that he's been over exposed to the detriment of the other characters development).

This is what 18 year old girls do when they first get into fandom, not something I would expect from an adult. YMMV.
                Guilty as charged! (even if I like Keller and McKeller. McWeir is still superior, though).
                sigpic
                http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally posted by bluealien View Post
                  Oh we would never have guessed that the only character he was ever interested in was McKay.. I think all the other characters got to bear the brunt of that obsession.. This is honestly the biggest load of bull I have ever read and it proves that Gero seems to have totally forgotten that Stargate Atlantis was an ensemble show and not the McKay hour, so my respect for Gero has totally plummeted. So, rude arogant McKay is the only person deserving of love on the show, unless he wants to count the invisble lover for Teyla who seems to be constantly off world so no one has to write for him.

Instead of once again indulging in his McKay obsession it would have been nice to have tried to round up some of the other character arcs.. oh I forgot the're weren't any other arcs....
                  I agree. We should all thank Gero for putting his interests first and the show's last. He wrote his fantasties and it's a travesty that the rest of the crew let him. Meanwhile a great writer was kept out of the show (Ken C had a lot of potential but he actually treated Sheppard's character well so guess he had to go).
                  sigpic

Comment

Well, in my own opinion, it was a good episode. Though I would love to see a team episode soon. It would be nice, but I still say this isn't bad at all. *nod nod*
                    sigpic

Comment

Obviously Gero needed way more "adult supervision" than the producers gave him. Shame on him and shame on them!!!! PLEASE don't let him write for SGU or the SGA movie! PLEEEEEAAASE

Comment

i loved the episode! thought it was really good!! although i just dont like it wen we dont get to see much of atlantis!! i mean come on 3 eps left we need more of the altantis base!!!!
                        BRING BACK SGA.. NEVER WATCHING SCI-FI OR SGU EVER

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                          Brain Storm is nothing more than a fanboy's fantasy. 'nuff said.

Exactly my issue with it.. spot on!
                          sigpic
                          I love the big hairy fuzzy men on TV, mmmm
                          "I'll Be Your Freyr Elrad, Wait For Me!!!
                          Me On YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/airricksreloaded

Comment

Working...
                          X