PDA

View Full Version : Are they gonna let it go with that opening sequence?

rsanchez
November 23rd, 2008, 04:31 PM
For the past few episodes, they've been doing another one of those opening sequences, where they only show the producers' credits, a trip through the wormhole, and a view of Atlantis. Do they really want to let Atlantis go with that? They should at least give it the dignity of going out with an awesome opening sequence.

btedford
November 23rd, 2008, 07:03 PM
Actually that is the choice of the Sci-Fi channel. They believe that people lose interest during the opening titles (of any show) and they change channels. So if you cut that then you can reduce time in between the ending of the teaser and Act I. So all you have to really sit through is the commericals, instead of that and the main opening sequence.

Mister Oragahn
November 23rd, 2008, 08:28 PM
It tells you a lot about the strength of a show that puts off its audience because of a one minute long traditional opening.

Usually, I only start to zap the intro of a show I really like after the fifth episode in a marathon, and it's a hard decision. :D

airrick
November 23rd, 2008, 10:34 PM
People in suits dont know jack about half the decisions they make.. I would say that the only reason people in companies THINK that people dont watch a short opening sequence is because some other shows started doing it.. made it trendy and thats why.. a
any other reason they give is just BS

NIKIN
November 23rd, 2008, 11:14 PM
the thing is though, it isn't the long openings that can put me off a show, it's unnecessarily long advert breaks, which we all know they won't shorten because it's less money. To me the shorter opener means they can squeeze in an extra ad

jenks
November 24th, 2008, 02:08 AM
For the past few episodes, they've been doing another one of those opening sequences, where they only show the producers' credits, a trip through the wormhole, and a view of Atlantis. Do they really want to let Atlantis go with that? They should at least give it the dignity of going out with an awesome opening sequence.

The short sequence is better.

Crazedwraith
November 24th, 2008, 02:12 AM
The 10 second sequence is just horrible. It butchers the theme song for one thing. If it results in an extra minute of content they can squeeze in then awesome but otherwise...

I like the epic feel of the cast fast superimposed on the action shots.

Dr Lee
November 24th, 2008, 06:13 AM
While the shorter opening credits don't bother me.... i hope they bring back the full length version for at least the finale....

morjana
November 24th, 2008, 10:00 AM

SciFi Channel cut the longer opening sequence once they had cancelled the series. This way, they can sell that 50 seconds of air time for commercials and make more money for the last ten weeks the series is on the air.

SerenaSerenity
November 24th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I wish they hadn't taken out the longer sequence. I enjoy it very much and it's sad that it's not there anymore. If they think that faster is better, then they are wrong in my own personal opinion. To each their own of course. *nod nod*

PantheraLeo
November 24th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Well, let's put it this way, the guys at SciFi think they can just throw anything at us and we'll just accept it like hound dogs. Let's face it, those guys don't give a crap on what we think. They just want to milk out as much ad revenue as possible.

FallenAngelII
November 25th, 2008, 05:40 AM
It's just a sci-fi thing so they can squeeze in more adverts. In syndication, the entire opening sequence is shown. On TV6 in Sweden, for example, which is currently airing season 5, every single episode features the full opening.

Vala_M
November 25th, 2008, 01:40 PM
They just brought back that horrible beginning because the show was cancelled and they figured nobody would bother to complain like before when the show was still being produced.

They took advantage of a bad time, nothing more.

And yes, it's a shame that the show will most likely air with that cheap beginning. And I REALLY hate having the actors and actresses names over the beginning 2-5 minutes. I don't mind the writers credits over the episode but the actors names is meant for the title sequence.

Vala,

Anon
November 25th, 2008, 01:49 PM
as jm has stated previously, they did that to keep pple's attention. Well it is pointless because comericals are right after it but any way, i think the last ep will have the full thing. Sci-fi will just say screw it here take it

Lord batchi ball
November 25th, 2008, 06:50 PM
To me it makes sense why they got rid of it, NO ONE REALLY CARES, they should just take that time a put in anther commercial, like they have been doing.

Crazedwraith
November 26th, 2008, 12:59 AM
To me it makes sense why they got rid of it, NO ONE REALLY CARES, they should just take that time a put in anther commercial, like they have been doing.

I think this thread and several others like it are quite compelling evidence to the contrary.

nx01a
November 27th, 2008, 07:30 PM
The short sequence is better.We agree again! Kinda...
I'm sorry that Robert Picardo is cheated out of his picture and name in the full titles, but I'm kinda glad I don't have to see Keller up there [not knocking Jewel who does deserve the time].
If the shorter title meant another minute of show, then great. But it doesn't.