This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Survivors BBC 1 Uk (Lots of spoilers)

Well anyone else watched it tonight 1 hour and 30 minutes episode.

I thought it was good it set out the story pretty well. It introduce the all the characters nicely why not revolving anyone.

The Black geezer do not remember his name, did he has one was either part of the plan or going after the people that did it, he did not look like the guy ready to settle down on a nice farm.

I the young kid thought the fact he accepts the situation was pretty good. I like how he seem to form with the play boy bachelor, the bachelor better grow use to the new ways of things now and stop relying on his uncle.

The fear I have clichy of the character that we have with the prisoner so hope he been hubble by the two teenangers and he change his ways.

The most interesting reveal was the ending where we sure the lab and learn the virus was artificially created, I guest that it was early on, it seem to spread to fast and the it seem the end of most lives happen to quickly to precise to be natural.

The mother, were we given her name, is interesting how she the only one who seemed to of survived virus, I suspect she was saved by one of the members of the group.

The only thing I did not like was the complete mess of how the government. How we did not see them give orders for naval vessels to stay at see but return to territorial waters. And was not clean on how the troops were not deployed.

I suspect they were not as disorganise as they appeared, the bloke at the end was expecting something of a come back from the government. How he kept on replaying the tape he was worried.

I watched and enjoyed it, but was a bit unnerved by it also.

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
    The most interesting reveal was the ending where we sure the lab and learn the virus was artificially created, I guest that it was early on, it seem to spread to fast and the it seem the end of most lives happen to quickly to precise to be natural.
    Yes i thought the reveal was done well. an i never even considered it was artificially created virus, i didnt think no virus would be this fast or effective but i just put it down to sci-fi effect.

Comment

funny the population of Great Britain is..... roughly 60 Million.... if 90% of people died from the virus..... I'm fairly certain the math doesn't work out as just 7 survivors....
      A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
        funny the population of Great Britain is..... roughly 60 Million.... if 90% of people died from the virus..... I'm fairly certain the math doesn't work out as just 7 survivors....
        And if watch the preview for the next episode, their at least a few others alive so far.

Plus ten percent was base on world population, given the various genetic make of the populations it very reasonable that different populations on the planet may of been more vulnerable than other. It seem the virus was design to specifically target the European and Anglo Saxon population, base on the fact the gang in the lab at the end seemed to be of middle eastern origin. That is just a guest,as it seem the virus was just the first stage of their plan and we do not know their ultimate aim is.

Plus given that most would sat at home until they ran out of water and food it likely their a lot of people still hiding and not joy riding around town.

Plus they knew nothing about the virus certainly not enough to predict mortality rate, they did not even no it was deadly until it spread to everyone. And they also were basing their guest on the vaccines probably being partially effective.

I watched and enjoyed it, but was a bit unnerved by it also.
        I think the writers achieve their goal.
        Personally I found streets looks frightening with people and being britain well I square I been along some on the streets that were filmed.

I love the scene of them playing football in the middle of the motor. It the first thing I would if everyone dies.

Comment

Plus given that most would sat at home until they ran out of water and food it likely their a lot of people still hiding and not joy riding around town.
          Because people always do as they are told in situations like this... people would panic and start raiding shops/ warehouses for more food, bottled water etc... people would also be fleeing population centers so the motorways would be clogged.

Plus they knew nothing about the virus certainly not enough to predict mortality rate, they did not even no it was deadly until it spread to everyone. And they also were basing their guest on the vaccines probably being partially effective.
          True but I doubt it would be higher than 90% if anything it will be lower because of natural immunities etc.

And they knew the vaccine would be ineffective it was given out to stop the great unwashed who wouldn't know any better from panicing
          A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

[QUOTE=The_Carpenter;9288309]Because people always do as they are told in situations like this... people would panic and start raiding shops/ warehouses for more food, bottled water etc... people would also be fleeing population centers so the motorways would be clogged.

This explained by the disease it self. As far as people was concern it was just a bad case flu. People in crisis revert to their basic instincts for survival, which unlike Hollywood movies the vast majority of people instincts in this case would of been to the follow the normal take of this disease, which is stay at home, keep warm and sleep it off. Which the vast majority would of done, and shown by not turning up to work. The rest would off gone to hospitals to get treatment. A thing is that this thing seemed of infected the entire country pretty quickly causing headache, fainting this would mean many people not even bother attempting to drive or to do anything other than seek help at hospital or to sleep it off like they would do with any other types of flu.

True but I doubt it would be higher than 90% if anything it will be lower because of natural immunities etc.
            That may be true if it was a natural virus, but this being man made means if probably was design to inflict maximum damage of selective group of people. It also seem to be a time bomb virus. This I came up, my idea is that the phase one of the virus was be harmless slowly spreading through the population unnoticed. The second phase would be a pre timed mutation turning it into the flu virus, disabling the first responders crippling the government before they know what hit them and hiding the true capabilities of the virus. The third mutation is the virus turning deadly killing people.

And DNA mutations which would be a reason a person nation immunity can be as small as 0.1% of a population or either rarer. It would still be more than enough to rebuild eventually, world wide population that is, but small enough that it would take centuries to rebuild unless someone prepared.

And remember many of nuclear submarines and ships and cruises would of probably be order to stay at sea and let the virus to burn it self out. Military vessels especially would be recall to national seas to defend the country and follow any rebuilding plans the country has in place.

I be shock that if the country did not have detail plans for reconstruct after pandemic of this kind. With hidden food and weapons supplies through out the country. Ready to be rapidly deployed.
            I be surprise if the submarine commander was not give the command codes to unleast the full power of submarine aka the nukes.
            Last edited by knowles2; 24 November 2008, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Strong launch for BBC's 'Survivors'
              Monday, November 24 2008, 10:11 GMT

By Neil Wilkes, Editor

The BBC's new adaptation of Survivors got off to a solid start in the ratings last night (Sunday), early figures suggest.

The apocalyptic drama, set in the aftermath of a virus that wipes out most of the world's population, was adapted from the Terry Nation book by Primeval's Adrian Hodges. The original TV adaptation ran for three series on the BBC in the '70s.

The 90-minute first episode pulled in an average of 6.47m (25.5%) over 90 minutes from 9pm, according to overnight data, with a peak of 7.82m (29.2%) at the start. The show held up well despite going up against ITV1's I'm A Celebrity, which had 7.57m (29.8%) over the same period.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a1364...survivors.html

Comment

I saw it first time around and liked it then, I like the new show time will tell if i think is better than the first one, but what i've seen so far i think i might!

Comment

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
                  Strong launch for BBC's 'Survivors'
                  Monday, November 24 2008, 10:11 GMT

By Neil Wilkes, Editor

The BBC's new adaptation of Survivors got off to a solid start in the ratings last night (Sunday), early figures suggest.

The apocalyptic drama, set in the aftermath of a virus that wipes out most of the world's population, was adapted from the Terry Nation book by Primeval's Adrian Hodges. The original TV adaptation ran for three series on the BBC in the '70s.

The 90-minute first episode pulled in an average of 6.47m (25.5%) over 90 minutes from 9pm, according to overnight data, with a peak of 7.82m (29.2%) at the start. The show held up well despite going up against ITV1's I'm A Celebrity, which had 7.57m (29.8%) over the same period.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a1364...survivors.html
                  Very cool.

Comment

Only saw the second episode. It was alright, but I couldn't shake the feeling that it would be 10x better with zombies. The family also commented that it was a bit odd that they chose to loot food from Netto rather than going to a more premium supermarket. Still, at least they didn't bother to loot Lidl.

Comment

Originally posted by lunarleviathan View Post
                      Only saw the second episode. It was alright, but I couldn't shake the feeling that it would be 10x better with zombies. The family also commented that it was a bit odd that they chose to loot food from Netto rather than going to a more premium supermarket. Still, at least they didn't bother to loot Lidl.
                      I think they wanted to avoid the inner cities and towns where most of the premium shops would be.

The episode was pretty much you standard story in disasters shows, good people learn that not everyone one gonna be sharing things. And you need a gun to survive.

I disappointed that they follow such a obvious plot with David at the moment,. It seem they just following the same plot line with his character that I seen done with every other prisoner escape storyline.

I love the whole chicken chasing scene, it was pretty funny. And NAJID and Al characters and the most interesting relationship at the moment.

I think the guy in the warehouse will becoming back for revenge.

Comment

I thought it was very well done... but I'm not gonna keep no watching. I love realism in shows but this is on the "too much" side, even for me.
                        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                        Yes, I am!
                        sigpic
                        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

How do you mean?

Comment

Well it doesn't really give you room to breathe, does it?There were very few - read, Al and the kid whose name I forgot - that let you off the doom'n'gloom. Now, I don't have the regular problem I have with doom'n'gloom shows with this, that is, it's not overly melodramatic and angsty. That's the "very well done" bit - no melodrama, just realism. But it also keeps on and on and on and while I wanted to keep watchign I had to take a break in the middle and go back to the second half of the episode later cos it was just too much. Too depressing, too uncomfortable...

In a way when these things are done with melodrama it lets you off - well, at least me - cos I can't take the melodrama seriously, I end up making sarcastic comments or just laughing my head off. They didn't fall into this trap which meant that I did take all the doom'n'gloom seriously.
                            Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                            Yes, I am!
                            sigpic
                            Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                            Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                            Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
                              Well it doesn't really give you room to breathe, does it?There were very few - read, Al and the kid whose name I forgot - that let you off the doom'n'gloom. Now, I don't have the regular problem I have with doom'n'gloom shows with this, that is, it's not overly melodramatic and angsty. That's the "very well done" bit - no melodrama, just realism. But it also keeps on and on and on and while I wanted to keep watchign I had to take a break in the middle and go back to the second half of the episode later cos it was just too much. Too depressing, too uncomfortable...

In a way when these things are done with melodrama it lets you off - well, at least me - cos I can't take the melodrama seriously, I end up making sarcastic comments or just laughing my head off. They didn't fall into this trap which meant that I did take all the doom'n'gloom seriously.

I think that because it been so well written. I can see how the ultra realism could make it hard for some people to watch. Especially if you live in Britain.
                              I always find things like disaster films, 28 days more serious than American base films.
                              But I like the way you say that you cannot handle the realism. May be you have a tolerance to realism of tv, it is so rare to see it.

Comment

Working...
                              X