This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wouldn't it be a good idea if...

there was an Ancient as a main or recurring character for the first few eps?

Firstly,the title was too long.

Secondly, wouldn't it be cool! It's worked in Fringe (Dr. Walter Bishop), and is the foundations of Doctor Who. And she (preferably IMO) could have a twist - i.e she was an exiled Ancient who has committed crimes against humanity, and was deAscended, and is trying to Ascend, or was frozen in stasis on the ship, and happens to wake on their arrival and/or tried to Ascend but couldn't (would make a brilliant tearjearker at the end or middle of the Season.

What do you think?

Problem,

Even with stasis her body would have aged to a state of nothing left by this point. Weir's body was aged over just 10,000 years to the point where she died within days of being revived. Same thing with Merlin's body. I know in "Frozen" that lady was alive and still young. But hey not like the writers never had plot holes before. But she was also in the ice not a stasis chamber. Who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by hamatau'ri View Post

Secondly, wouldn't it be cool! It's worked in Fringe (Dr. Walter Bishop), and is the foundations of Doctor Who. And she (preferably IMO) could have a twist - i.e she was an exiled Ancient who has committed crimes against humanity, and was deAscended, and is trying to Ascend, or was frozen in stasis on the ship, and happens to wake on their arrival and/or tried to Ascend but couldn't (would make a brilliant tearjearker at the end or middle of the Season.

What do you think?

or at least a hologram like in rising in atlantis

Comment

Originally posted by bungeeguy245 View Post
        Problem,

Even with stasis her body would have aged to a state of nothing left by this point. Weir's body was aged over just 10,000 years to the point where she died within days of being revived. Same thing with Merlin's body. I know in "Frozen" that lady was alive and still young. But hey not like the writers never had plot holes before. But she was also in the ice not a stasis chamber. Who knows?
        That's why. Ayiana, the frozen Ancient, was not in anabolic stasis. Instead she was simply frozen and technically 'dead'. However, because of the Ancient physiology allowing them to possess a variety of 'powers', her body was able to revive herself once she was beginning to be thawed out by Frasier and Carter. (Technically, this is somewhat speculation, but is the most logical reason based upon the information we do know, etc.)

So that is why. Also, sorry to get off topic.

On topic now. It would be neat, but like the above posters have pointed out, it would be almost, if not completely impossible to have considering what we know of Ancient physiology and technology to extend their lives over millions of years.

From what we know of SG:U is that the Destiny was launched sometime between when the Ancients reached the Milky Way galaxy (roughly 50 million years ago; speculation, but this is a possible guess based on the discovery of the Antarctic stargate believed to be 50 million years old.) and the 'exodus' of the Ancients in Atlantis heading to the Pegasus Galaxy. Therefore, that is 45 million years of difference, plus another 5 million leading up to the present day. So unless the Ancients had a relapse in stasis technology to slow their metabolic rate enough to last over millions of years.

(If I made a mistake in this above paragraph for whatever reason then that is because I am either tired or missed a vital piece of information. Just note that. )

Great thought though. It would be nice to meet living, breathing, 'mortal' Ancients and see them interact with our crew. (Although that was done in SG-1's "Frozen", it would still be nice to see.)

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
        and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

I'd rather shoot myself.

If you want hyper advanced humans. Go watch Star Wars Eps 1-3.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

OR After an ambitious project went awry the ancient dude was banished to walk the mortal plane bereft of his ascendant powers and cursed to live forever (or until his superiors deem him redeemed or atleast atoned ), as pennance for some colossal screw up that resulted in the genocide of a fledgling race ( or something just as big ). Part of his quest for redemption he wanders the stars searching for a way to save himself from his exile.

He's world weary bitter and uninterested in peoples affairs or worries, and frequently bails to persue some epihpany but always returns. He says because the Destiny is a convenient way to scour the galaxies for his ticket to salvation but there are subtle hints of deeper ties ( nights spent wandering the halls of the ship, often carefully examining workmanship, or days trawling the ships database immersing in culture of his long removed people ), However he is almost always helpful, as the philosophy of a former mentor compell him to pass on his knowledge

Also, although essentially immortal, and wounds heal in real time, a cut will bleed and slowly clot and heal up as would a mortal, all part of the experience.

kind of like a less wistful version of 'Galen', the technomage guy from "Crusade" ( ten points for whoever remembers that show ) But an ancient, immortal and with an agenda of his own a little more transparent than the crusade guy

Comment

Well it would be interesting to see an Ancient in the show.

What if there was a group of Ancients that were healthy (weren't suffering from the plague), decided to live elsewhere in the universe so they placed themselves in stasis, knowing that their final destination would take longer to get to than the stasis pods could keep them alive for they added a time dilation field to slow time to a factor of 10,000 years to 1 year.
              That would effectively mean they could remain in stasis for anything up to 100,000,000 years.
              That way we could find a settlement of Ancients that decided not to ascend but continue to learn about the universe.

Comment

Originally posted by hamatau'ri View Post

What do you think?
                I like that idea! I would absolutly love to see a living breathing Ancient as a main character. It would be an interesting twist. And I like Rise of the Phoenix's idea.

Comment

What if it was an unspeakabl crime, you dont want an evil ancient on the ship with them O.O

/runs from ancient pedobear

Comment

Originally posted by Alteran of Atlantis View Post
                    I like that idea! I would absolutly love to see a living breathing Ancient as a main character. It would be an interesting twist. And I like Rise of the Phoenix's idea.
                    Cheers Alteran of Atlantis.

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                    What if it was an unspeakabl crime, you dont want an evil ancient on the ship with them O.O

/runs from ancient pedobear

WoooHooo finally got my 3rd green reputation square thingy.

Comment

why not just an ai system that has controlled the ship for thousands of years? it seems more fesable than having a living breathing ancient.

KEEP IT CLEAN
                      Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
                      Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

Comment

I would love to see an Ancient AI which controls the ship, like Cortana from Halo or even Rommie from Andromeda
                        Stolen Kosovo
                        sigpic

Comment

Hal 4000 was a Lantean system

Comment

Some kind of ultra realistic AI system could be cool.
                            Perhaps when the crew of the Destiny get to the ship the AI is damaged and can't control certain systems like the Navigation so everything is on auto-pilot, just jumping from galaxy to galaxy and the repair systems need to be activated manually.
                            As the team of newbies may know next to nothing of Lantian tech they have to explore the ship and get to grips with the systems.
                            Perhaps we won't get to see how the AI's hologram actually looks until later in season 1.

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                              I would love to see an Ancient AI which controls the ship, like Cortana from Halo or even Rommie from Andromeda
                              lol exactly what I was thinking of when i typed that
                              Spoiler:
                              FTW!!

KEEP IT CLEAN
                              Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
                              Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

Comment

Working...
                              X