Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the writiers incapable of balance now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are the writiers incapable of balance now?

I have accepted this for the last several episodes but at this point I think enough is enough. When was the last time we had an episode with the entire cast of the show in it? Why is this? Are the writers no longer capable of writing episodes with more than half the characters now? It's not even necessary to do this! We didn't need an episode that focused entirely on McKay and Keller. I loved Remnants but it was also a 3 character episode. Which wold have been OK if it wasn't the 6th time it happened this season. Teyla and Ronon feel like they keep disappearing this season. What reason was there for only Sheppard to appear in Whispers? Why couldn't Teyla and Ronon get some more screen time in Inquisition? Why did Teyla get almost nothing in the mid season two partner? This was a bit of a problem before this season too. Why did only McKay and Ronon and Keller appear in Tracker? The fact that McKay has had no less than 3 episodes based around him and a much larger part in the others while Teyla had 1 and a half and cameos is not a good thing. Why would they be doing this? Is writing so many people at the same time too hard now? Do the writers not like the characters to be in a team anymore?
    Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 22 November 2008, 07:53 PM.
    "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

It does get old! In Whispers Rodney popped in at the beginning and the end,
    as does John in Tracker, John and Ronon get a few seconds from what I have read about in BS. Teyla and Ronon only get a bookend for Remnants. I thought that SGA was a show that focused on ALL the character in the majority of the episodes!

I can understand why Teyla and Ronon were not in Harmony (No Gene) for plot device.

The characters do better when they are together as opposed to when they are not!

I feel like TPTB just got tired of writing for the characters on SGA so they thought eh why don't we just do episodes that feature only a few of them at a time!

Theses characters deserve so much more that the writers are willing to spend on them!
    So, I am glad these characters are being put out to pasture!
    Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

Yes, I miss team-episodes which earn that name. Because even when we see all members in one episode it's too often that some of them are hardly more than a little decoration. There's no development. That's not the SGA I fell in love with.

I really don't know why the writers have changed the direction so much. The characters are still great.
      sigpic

Comment

Give me a break, there has been plenty of team eps this season.
        sigpic

Comment

You can't have an episode that shares screen time evenly between six characters and also gives them each something meaty whilst also being a plot driven action/adventure show, there just isn't the time. Atlantis has an ensemble cast, so some episodes are always going to focus on some characters more than others.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
            You can't have an episode that shares screen time evenly between six characters and also gives them each something meaty whilst also being a plot driven action/adventure show, there just isn't the time. Atlantis has an ensemble cast, so some episodes are always going to focus on some characters more than others.
            Exactly! With Remnants we were able to get more focus on Mckay, Sheppard, and Woolsey. If everyone was in this episode from start to finish the focus would of been lost. I really liked the character moments in that episode and it really dove into the characters more. Woolsey got some nice development out of that episode.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
              Give me a break, there has been plenty of team eps this season.
              Well, for me a team episode isn't just an episode where we see every member, where everyone has one sentence or they are all together in the beginning and in the end. For example I don't count episodes like Remnants, First Contact, The Lost Tribe, Inquisition as real team episodes. Maybe my expectations are just too high.

Originally posted by jenks View Post
              Maybe my memory is wrong. I just have the feeling in season 1 - 3 this wasn't such a big problem. Of course there are always episodes which feature one or two people. That's o.k. I just miss the real team spirit in season 5.
              sigpic

Comment

One less episode to go before the series will be over and the writers waste it on McKay/Keller. Thank you very much. That was not appreciated.
                He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
                He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
                And he's wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by silvercomet View Post
                  Well, for me a team episode isn't just an episode where we see every member, where everyone has one sentence or they are all together in the beginning and in the end. For example I don't count episodes like Remnants, First Contact, The Lost Tribe, Inquisition as real team episodes. Maybe my expectations are just too high.
                  First Contact and The Lost Tribe were team eps. Remnants no, because it focused on three people. Inquisition was a team episode because if focused on what the team has done over the past 5 years.

Maybe my memory is wrong. I just have the feeling in season 1 - 3 this wasn't such a big problem. Of course there are always episodes which feature one or two people. That's o.k. I just miss the real team spirit in season 5.

Maybe that is why Characters were slowly developed in Seasons 1 through 3. Since there were more plot driven, the entire team on screen. I feel the show is more character driven now, and is likely the reason why we get these split-ups.
                  sigpic

Comment

It should be mainly about the team....You know John, Teyla, Ronon and Rodney....The rest of them should just be supporting them...They shouldn't be taking the focus away from the main team and I don't know what happened but the writers seemed to have forgotten that at some point!
                    sigpic

Comment

First Contact and The Lost Tribe were team eps. Remnants no, because it focused on three people. Inquisition was a team episode because if focused on what the team has done over the past 5 years.
                      Well TLT we had Teyla missing for most of it and Inquisition Rodney, Teyla and Ronon may as well have not been there for all they done...That was a Shep/Woolsey ep so those two eps were not team eps to me....Team eps to me are when John, Teyla, Ronon and Rodney are all in it and all are used in the ep!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                        It should be mainly about the team....You know John, Teyla, Ronon and Rodney....The rest of them should just be supporting them...They shouldn't be taking the focus away from the main team and I don't know what happened but the writers seemed to have forgotten that at some point!
                        Every character has gotten at least 2 eps this season focused on them.
                        sigpic

Comment

Every character has gotten at least 2 eps this season focused on them.
                          Maybe so but what about the rest of the season...Ronon and especially Teyla has been either missing in a few eps and even when she was in some eps she was so much in the background you barely even saw her!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                            Well TLT we had Teyla missing for most of it and Inquisition Rodney, Teyla and Ronon may as well have not been there for all they done...That was a Shep/Woolsey ep so those two eps were not team eps to me....Team eps to me are when John, Teyla, Ronon and Rodney are all in it and all are used in the ep!
                            Search and Rescue
                            The Seed
                            Broken Ties
                            Daedalus Variations
                            The Queen
                            Ghost in the Machine
                            Outsiders
                            The Prodgial
                            The Shrine
                            First Contact
                            The Lost Tribe
                            Remnants (I'm not contradicting myself here, the entire team was in this ep)

All the above eps had all the characters doing at least something or are used in the episode.

I chose Remnants to define your definition of "whole cast are used in an ep"

Then the pro-Keller folks are going to get on my case that Keller was not in "DV" or "Outsiders".

Then the Pro-Woolsey folks are going to dish me out and say that Woolsey was not in "Outsiders", or "DV" either.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                              I have accepted this for the last several episodes but at this point I think enough is enough. When was the last time we had an episode with the entire cast of the show in it? Why is this? Are the writers no longer capable of writing episodes with more than half the characters now? It's not even necessary to do this! We didn't need an episode that focused entirely on McKay and Keller. I loved Remnants but it was also a 3 character episode. Which wold have been OK if it wasn't the 6th time it happened this season. Teyla and Ronon feel like they keep disappearing this season. What reason was there for only Sheppard to appear in Whispers? Why couldn't Teyla and Ronon get some more screen time in Inquisition? Why did Teyla get almost nothing in the mid season two partner? This was a bit of a problem before this season too. Why did only McKay and Ronon and Keller appear in Tracker? The fact that McKay has had no less than 3 episodes based around him and a much larger part in the others while Teyla had 1 and a half and cameos is not a good thing. Why would they be doing this? Is writing so many people at the same time too hard now? Do the writers not like the characters to be in a team anymore?
                              Here, here! I feel quite let down by the writers this season for neglecting characters in episodes
                              What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

Working...
                              X