This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a 6 year md program?

Was it so difficult to get a simple fact straight, instead of having Keller misspeak?

Originally posted by fordpickup&6pack View Post
    Was it so difficult to get a simple fact straight, instead of having Keller misspeak?
    Well, I honestly don't know anything about Med School and such. So I have no clue, nor had any clue that it was misspoken. *nod nod*
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SerenaSerenity View Post
      Well, I honestly don't know anything about Med School and such. So I have no clue, nor had any clue that it was misspoken. *nod nod*
      I'm sure that what the producers counted on, when they didn't bother to get that straight. But anyways, it's always 4.

Comment

I'm sure that what the producers counted on, when they didn't bother to get that straight. But anyways, it's always 4.
        Actually thats always true. It would be longer if Keller specialized in something. It also depends on how many credits Keller took per semester
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          Actually thats always true. It would be longer if Keller specialized in something. It also depends on how many credits Keller took per semester
          You never specialize in medschool. That's what residencies (3-6+ years long) are for. So, it is always 4, unless someone does md/phd concurrently, or extends (due to extenuating circumstances).

Comment

In Britain it's 5 years. Who's to say she got her medical degree in the United States.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Yes, always four except for MD/PhD then it's six.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                In Britain it's 5 years. Who's to say she got her medical degree in the United States.
                Well in Russia it is 6, or so I heard, so she must have gotten it there for sure then, right?

It is not easy to get to practice in US even with essentially identical Canadian MD degree. From any other places, including UK, it makes it exponentially more difficult to do it in US.

Comment

Well in Russia it is 6, or so I heard, so she must have gotten it there for sure then, right?

It is not easy to get to practice in US even with essentially identical Canadian MD degree. From any other places, including UK, it makes it exponentially more difficult to do it in US.
                  Not only that, but those countries want to train their own doctors, they don't want to train someone who is just going to leave. Almost all of the good off-shore schools are supported by the citizens of the country in which they are located, so why would they train an American?

I don't think there's much switching of countries until residency.

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                    Yes, always four except for MD/PhD then it's six.
                    MD/PhD is more like 8, maaaybe 7 if you cram your thesis into 3 years. Most researchers look down on that though.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                      MD/PhD is more like 8, maaaybe 7 if you cram your thesis into 3 years. Most researchers look down on that though.
                      I have no doubt it could be more than six, because research is not predictable. One thing is for sure, it isn't less!

Comment

In Malaysia, an MD is 5 years long.
                        It would be odd that she had to prolong her medical studies since Keller herself in the S4 episode Missing that she was a genius since she was very young.
                        I think it just boils down to shoddy writing as always.

Comment

Thats not taking into account that she could have changed her focus of study and had to (or chose to) start over or maybe was held back a year or longer...

Or it could be as simple as her choosing to become and RN (which is two years) before med school.
                          "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

Comment

Originally posted by Shpinxinator View Post
                            Thats not taking into account that she could have changed her focus of study and had to (or chose to) start over or maybe was held back a year or longer...

Or it could be as simple as her choosing to become and RN (which is two years) before med school.
                            No, please see post # 6 re: "focus of study". And no - nursing school has nothing to do with it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, re: md/phd comments from yesterday... I couldn't comment on duration, since I did not know for sure. Anyways, since the program was phased out at my school before me, I had to ask around (just for sh*ts and giggles), and it turned out to be 8. However, at my friend's school it is still 8. So, go figure.
                            Last edited by fordpickup&6pack; 25 November 2008, 03:47 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                              Nope it's 6 years in the UK. (at least the normal Undergrad course is).

Comment

Working...
                              X