Tunney's Global Warming plan fundementally flawed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tunney's Global Warming plan fundementally flawed

Even if the device did work properly, turn on and off when he wanted it to, and cool the entire planet within a few degrees of his target temperature, the plan still would have failed. While it might work well in one part of the planet, at the same time cooling a different part of the planet would be Very bad.

Since this device was suppose to cool the planet, from the northern Hemisphere, June-September would be the best time to use it. However, at that time the southern Hemisphere would be having winter, so they would become much, much COLDER. It would merely take our hot summers away, and make our winters just that much worse. Sure those people living close to the equator would have it nice, but anyone else living in a place which actually had seasons would probably not enjoy it.

Now, this device might even run all year. This would really mess up the crop circles, and reduce our growing season by a few weeks, maybe even a month or two in some places. Turning it on and off would probably cause massive changes in the weather that could be horribly violent and bad. Not to mention it does nothing really to improve air quality, clean up hazardous waste or remove excess CO2 and similar gases.

It would Just replace 'Global Warming' with 'Global Cooling'.

Not to mention there must be something wrong with syphening our heat to another dimention. I mean, how will we get it back?

Wasn't it only supposed to compensate for the general heating effect of the planet?
    "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

I say we need a nuclear winter to deal with a global warming!
      Stolen Kosovo
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
        Wasn't it only supposed to compensate for the general heating effect of the planet?
        I think it was only supposed to cool the planet to the point that human-induced warming would be negated.

Also, why are the Atlantis people in love with space-time bridges? We have stargates, space bridges which under the right circumstances become time bridges and inter-dimensional bridges. I say if they want to try this again, they should hook the device up to a stargate that's connected to an uninhabited world or to a space gate.

Comment

Originally posted by rsanchez View Post
          I think it was only supposed to cool the planet to the point that human-induced warming would be negated.

Also, why are the Atlantis people in love with space-time bridges? We have stargates, space bridges which under the right circumstances become time bridges and inter-dimensional bridges. I say if they want to try this again, they should hook the device up to a stargate that's connected to an uninhabited world or to a space gate.
          This is what I meant. And now that you mention it, that is a decent idea in principle, though there aren't any known space gates, in the Milky Way, and they can't keep their stagate open constantly like they can for the space-time bridge for some reason.
          "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Itzan View Post
            Even if the device did work properly, turn on and off when he wanted it to, and cool the entire planet within a few degrees of his target temperature, the plan still would have failed. While it might work well in one part of the planet, at the same time cooling a different part of the planet would be Very bad.

Since this device was suppose to cool the planet, from the northern Hemisphere, June-September would be the best time to use it. However, at that time the southern Hemisphere would be having winter, so they would become much, much COLDER. It would merely take our hot summers away, and make our winters just that much worse. Sure those people living close to the equator would have it nice, but anyone else living in a place which actually had seasons would probably not enjoy it.

Now, this device might even run all year. This would really mess up the crop circles, and reduce our growing season by a few weeks, maybe even a month or two in some places. Turning it on and off would probably cause massive changes in the weather that could be horribly violent and bad. Not to mention it does nothing really to improve air quality, clean up hazardous waste or remove excess CO2 and similar gases.

It would Just replace 'Global Warming' with 'Global Cooling'.

Not to mention there must be something wrong with syphening our heat to another dimention. I mean, how will we get it back?
            AHHHHH!!! We're back in the Seventies again!!!

Comment

Not to mention this would do nothing for the Ozone layer.. so it isnt a fix to the problem.. its like a bandaid on something that needs stitches..
              sigpic
              I love the big hairy fuzzy men on TV, mmmm
              "I'll Be Your Freyr Elrad, Wait For Me!!!
              Me On YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/airricksreloaded

Comment

Not only was it a stupid idea, it's one that could have been accomplished with less "exotic" science.
                All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by airrick View Post
                  Not to mention this would do nothing for the Ozone layer.. so it isnt a fix to the problem.. its like a bandaid on something that needs stitches..
                  The ozone problem is actually repairing it self since the banning of CFCs gases. The hole has slowly been shrinking over the last few years. This shows humans can have a effect on the planet aka we cause the hole and we can fix problems that we cause in the first place if we try hard enough and are active enough in the area.

As to the plot device, it had numerous flaws, the biggest one being you need ZPM level power source to open one the bridge , wonder where tunney's got one of them from. It was the key plot device use to get McKay little sister to come to Atlantis to put her work into practical demonstration, something she thought would not happen for decades because of the power requirements. Let alone the facility shields, where the earth did they become in the public domain.

They should have mention someone giving them the technology to do both. The remaining Go'uld or something. I certainly would of inserted a scene with SG personnel taking the base apart.
                  A other plot hole if these guys were the best of the best the planet had to offer would not many of them be working knowingly or unknowingly on stargate project related technologies. I few mention of that would of be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                    This is what I meant. And now that you mention it, that is a decent idea in principle, though there aren't any known space gates, in the Milky Way, and they can't keep their stagate open constantly like they can for the space-time bridge for some reason.
                    If I recall correctly, a gate that has a constant source of energy can stay open for longer times than usual. The heat sink in the device absorbed large amounts of heat, which could be used to keep the gate open for a little while longer.

Comment

I don't get why they didn't just convert the heat to electricity a la geothermal energy, or any energy really. If you could suck all the heat from around the planet into a big heat sink, wouldn't that just make free power for whatever you wanted? Or heck, transfer the power into a big laser and shoot the energy into space. Why go to the effort of making a bridge to an alternate freaking universe?

Comment

Well, in the episode, Rodney does say that Tunney saw something he wasn't supposed to see. Maybe he saw a design for the ZPM and built a primitive one of his own. As he said it was built to only power one bridge. *nod nod* But then again, I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. lol
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SerenaSerenity View Post
                          Well, in the episode, Rodney does say that Tunney saw something he wasn't supposed to see. Maybe he saw a design for the ZPM and built a primitive one of his own. As he said it was built to only power one bridge. *nod nod* But then again, I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. lol
                          you can't be serious...he can build ZPM or something similar, it sounds ridiculous even for Atlantis. ZPM is like a holy grail, this kind of technology is light years away from us. They can't build something similar on Ätlantis so I highly doubt some scientist can build it on Earth without Alterans' technology.
                          Stolen Kosovo
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X