This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TPTB Still Can't Write Romance, Need to Stop Trying

Firstly, I squeeeed. Yes, I'll admit it. I am a huge McKeller shipper and damn proud of it. I love that they're together. I love that they've kissed in this time line multiple times. I love that they love each other.

So what's the point of this thread? That would be what I don't love. I don't love how it came about and how it was written.

I understand that SGA is not a romantic drama. It's SF. And it's not Farscape-flavoured SF or ever BSG-flavoured SF. It's spaceships and aliens in your head and sucking the life force through your chest. It's explosions and guns and wonky physics. I don't expect outright romance. Subtle hints? Sure, why not? Make things interesting.

But after 10 years of maddeningly subtle romantic hints and nudges on SG-1 and 4 years of it on SGA to suddenly elevate the show into a rousing crescendo of geek love seems......sorely out of place.

If it had been well- handled maybe I wouldn't be posting this. But, in my opinion, it wasn't and here I am.

Not only did we have poorly constructed triangle (and with 3 sides, how hard can it really be?), and a poorly written one at that, but I've been left sort of wondering if I'd missed some vital scenes from Search and Rescue onwards. Rodney declaring his love for Jennifer on his presumed deathbed, as touching as it was, seemed oddly rushed considering his only other touching interaction with her was demonstrating concern in The Seed. Now Jennifer loves him too? Why? Because he said it first?

I'm lost. This was their first date.....and they love each other. Granted a lot has happened to them since they've met and it could be enough to develop very strong feelings, but if that's the case then.....where are the scenes that demonstrate this?

I get it and I've said it myself. SGA is not a romantic drama. It's a science fiction show. The spaceships and the aliens have to come first. But if that's the case then, PTB, please don't throw out an episode that circulates almost entirely on the notion that two characters are deeply in love with each other for reasons that are only fathomable to viewers in possession of McKeller-tinted shippy glasses.

If it's not within the parameters of the show to develop a plausible romance, then I'd rather not see some unexplainable (by the show) romance. It just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. The mouth that's trying to be objective anyway.
    sigpic

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
    Firstly, I squeeeed. Yes, I'll admit it. I am a huge McKeller shipper and damn proud of it. I love that they're together. I love that they've kissed in this time line multiple times. I love that they love each other.

So what's the point of this thread? That would be what I don't love. I don't love how it came about and how it was written.

I understand that SGA is not a romantic drama. It's SF. And it's not Farscape-flavoured SF or ever BSG-flavoured SF. It's spaceships and aliens in your head and sucking the life force through your chest. It's explosions and guns and wonky physics. I don't expect outright romance. Subtle hints? Sure, why not? Make things interesting.

But after 10 years of maddeningly subtle romantic hints and nudges on SG-1 and 4 years of it on SGA to suddenly elevate the show into a rousing crescendo of geek love seems......sorely out of place.

If it had been well- handled maybe I wouldn't be posting this. But, in my opinion, it wasn't and here I am.

Not only did we have poorly constructed triangle (and with 3 sides, how hard can it really be?), and a poorly written one at that, but I've been left sort of wondering if I'd missed some vital scenes from Search and Rescue onwards. Rodney declaring his love for Jennifer on his presumed deathbed, as touching as it was, seemed oddly rushed considering his only other touching interaction with her was demonstrating concern in The Seed. Now Jennifer loves him too? Why? Because he said it first?

I'm lost. This was their first date.....and they love each other. Granted a lot has happened to them since they've met and it could be enough to develop very strong feelings, but if that's the case then.....where are the scenes that demonstrate this?

I get it and I've said it myself. SGA is not a romantic drama. It's a science fiction show. The spaceships and the aliens have to come first. But if that's the case then, PTB, please don't throw out an episode that circulates almost entirely on the notion that two characters are deeply in love with each other for reasons that are only fathomable to viewers in possession of McKeller-tinted shippy glasses.

If it's not within the parameters of the show to develop a plausible romance, then I'd rather not see some unexplainable (by the show) romance. It just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. The mouth that's trying to be objective anyway.
    What they needed to do was show scenes with McKay and Keller hanging out together and slowly getting to know one another. Unfortunately this was never going to happen as Stargate Atlantis rarely shows how characters interact when not on duty.

Comment

I tend to agree with what you said, though I never really saw the Ronon/McKay/Keller thing as some sort of 3-way triangle, in my mind it was never played like that and the only time it was ever implied was off-screen by the producers. I think that if they hadn't said anything about that, that nobody would have said anything and would have made a big deal about it. The way I saw it was Ronon just messing with McKay's head in the end, having a bit of fun with Rodney. I think that *maybe* at first, back in S4 he might have had some sort of romantic notion towards Keller, but probably in the end just decided, as he said at the beginning of this episode "who cares."

I will say, though, that I was disappointed we didn't get any scenes of Shep and Ronon surfing. I was expecting some sort of B plot that showed Ronon trying to surf, sort of reminiscent of O'neill trying to get Teal'c to fish in his pond.
      That is just my two cents.

Comment

I love McKay, but really hate Keller. I had some serious doubts about this episode, but i thought Jennifer came across very effectively and sincere. I think this has been her best to date, and if the quality stays I could learn to like Keller.
        You have already taken the first steps towards becoming.....The Fifth Race.

Comment

the problem with a mckay / keller relationship is that Rodney's social skills really suck; it is unrealistic to assume that keller would fall for him at all but I guess the romance was written to woo all the nerds watching
          I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

a room full of male writers what do you expect
            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

really didn't like the romance writing in this one...seemed so.....16 yr old

*cue Dawsons creek music*

are the writers even married? lol

Comment

The romance itself was OK. It just does not fit too much into this show at this point.
                The cake is a lie!

Comment

Realism demands some romance in Stargate. Statistically alot of people get married after meeting their wife/husband at work. It is a VERy common place for people to become couples. The fact that in 13 years (and 15 seasons) of Stargate that it hasnt happened is quite frankly unrealistic. Romance in the work place is reasonably common and this is the first time we have seen in on Stargate.

Comment

Yeah I'm sorry but this is now the dumbest romance I've ever seen on TV. I was never a fan of the McKeller paring, but I didn't object because I fundamentally despised the couple together, I hated this because its so poorly written. Its completely out of nowhere, the triangle was terrible enough, but the suddenness of them totally falling in love with each other completely ruins my suspension of disbelief. We never got to see them actually fall in love. They just all of a sudden were. What are they 12? I realize Stargate was never known for strong romance but this is surprisingly poor. Some of their earlier romances that were slow burning were actually semi-decent, I thought. John spent basically 4 years developing a borderline romantic chemistry with Elisabeth and Teyla, and they still have no overt declarations of OMG I LOVE YOU. Rodney and Keller had what? A half dozen to dozen scenes together tops and they love each other and are making out like they are horny high-schoolers. I'm honestly shocked at how painful to watch it is, which is sad because it didn't need to be this bad. This would have been acceptable if it was not so foolishly rushed. This season feels like its more bipolar than the previous one: it was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
                    Last edited by Infinite-Possibilities; 22 November 2008, 02:53 AM.
                    "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
                      Realism demands some romance in Stargate. Statistically alot of people get married after meeting their wife/husband at work. It is a VERy common place for people to become couples. The fact that in 13 years (and 15 seasons) of Stargate that it hasnt happened is quite frankly unrealistic. Romance in the work place is reasonably common and this is the first time we have seen in on Stargate.
                      But how do you know it hasn't happened, dozens of times? There are more people in Atlantis or the SGC than just the ones in the opening credits. What I don't understand is why we suddenly have to watch it happening
                      sigpic

Comment

It's a shame really, they were doing so well up until the "I love you, have done for some time now" moment. Good episode though, better than I think a lot of people expected.

Comment

It's McKay, a theoretical physicist, and Keller, a doctor who thinks she can cure Pegasus with a drug. The geeky romance was to be expected. The love between Keller and anyone is out of place.

I have to agree with Wayston. It's unrealistic that someone like Keller would fall for a (social) loser like McKay. All the scientists saw it, thinking Keller was McKay's sister. Bill Nye even called dibs. If Bill Nye thinks he has a chance at taking your girl, you know something isn't right.

Comment

Originally posted by rsanchez View Post
                            I have to agree with Wayston. It's unrealistic that someone like Keller would fall for a (social) loser like McKay. All the scientists saw it, thinking Keller was McKay's sister. Bill Nye even called dibs. If Bill Nye thinks he has a chance at taking your girl, you know something isn't right.
                            Is that true? although I think uncle and neice would be more accurate
                            What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

Maybe this is how romance works for everyone else in the universe but you? O.o

Comment

Working...
                              X