This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Story-arcs in SGU?

Does anyone else think that the premise of this show is set up to discourage story-arcs and multi-part episodes? It seems like they're going to make just a bunch of stand alone episodes with no real cohesion. We have a ship they can't control going from planet to planet without any hope of it turning around or revisiting old places. I just don't see how people can get invested in a show like that. Anyone else see it going this way?

I see this show going down the toilet with a big D'OH from everyone behind the cancellation of Atlantis and the creation of this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninjadoom View Post
      Does anyone else think that the premise of this show is set up to discourage story-arcs and multi-part episodes? It seems like they're going to make just a bunch of stand alone episodes with no real cohesion. We have a ship they can't control going from planet to planet without any hope of it turning around or revisiting old places. I just don't see how people can get invested in a show like that. Anyone else see it going this way?
      No, I actually concluded the opposite. And in fact, the writers have already said that SGU will be more serialized than SGA or SG-1.

In Mallozzi's blog, he said the following the other day about SGU, "the way these episodes have developed so far, there are a threads that run through all the stories, in essence making this season one big 20-parter."

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...niverse-day-7/
      sigpic
      FOX Network

Comment

reminds me of the star trekin song "always going forward because we cant find revers" lmao
        We need a Zed-PM to power the gate.
        Huh?
        Zee-PM He's Canadian.
        (to McKay) I'm sorry.

Comment

I think the premise of the show could be set up like that, but I doubt it. It will either have mini-story arcs, or season wide story arcs, and then a new galaxy every season. However, according to GateWorld.net the entire season is threaded together, so it's like a "20-episode parter"...exactly what that means and to what extent, I don't know...maybe like Heroes/Lost?

Comment

malozzi said atleast s1 is almost 1 big arc.

theory disproven

Comment

Umm I think the whole idea of the show is to do the opposite, which is why I can't wait to watch it. I love long big messy fun secret hidden, fun story arcs. Who doesn't? But what I love is that they should every now and then throw in a completely stand alone fun fun out their episode. That would make it perfect. They always need one different episode, among the rest.

Comment

The way I see it this premise allows for bigger, or at least better and more thought out arcs. They won't be spending forever in one place and they'll be encounering different enemies and allies in different seasons, so this will force tptb to think through what they want to do with a race, a start, a middle and an end, before they are even introduced. The arcs that constantly carry over can be the personal arcs between characters, and trying to find a means to get the ship back to Earth.

Comment

i would think that there is a way to get off the ship and onto the planets, so if they figured out the direction of the ship and could predict the gate addresses, then they could explore planets in the galacy and just gate to the planet the ship is around and get back on the ship.

i think most of the episodes will feature the team trying to figure things out on the ship. but they have to be able to get off it in order to get food and stuff
                  THE HAM HAS SPOKEN

Comment

HUH?! The exact opposite!

Comment

The premise of SGU leaves the door open to both stand alone stories and arc storyline episodes. A lot of time in Stargate each episodes are both at the same time.
                      Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

if they leave the galaxy at the end of the season then each season will be a completely different story...that is an absolute disaster, there will be no tension, no revisiting planets and no point; whats the purpose of just circling around galaxies? is this like quantum leap but in space? what they should do is have no reference to the galaxy they are on and that for all they know it could still be the milky way. and just focus on the planets.
                        sigpic

Comment

I really want to see some flashforward scene or episode. It would be so cool that our heroes will change in the future. For example: two character are friends, but something will happen and they will become enemies. And the viewers have to find out what could happen and maybe they have a good reason to react so (like G'Kar and Londo in Babylon 5). But SG uses the "multi-verse" theory, so every possible future can happen in other reality, so I don't know if a flashforwars story arc could work in SG:U.
                          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                            I really want to see some flashforward scene or episode. It would be so cool that our heroes will change in the future. For example: two character are friends, but something will happen and they will become enemies. And the viewers have to find out what could happen and maybe they have a good reason to react so (like G'Kar and Londo in Babylon 5). But SG uses the "multi-verse" theory, so every possible future can happen in other reality, so I don't know if a flashforwars story arc could work in SG:U.
                            Well, it worked great in "2010", so I don't see why not, even if you look at it as an "alternate future reality" type of episode. "2010" has always been one of my favorite episodes.

Comment

Although it has been said there will be no main enemy, i'm still hoping one of the story arcs will be about one main enemy. With multiple other story-arcs being revealed from this enemy...

Comment

Working...
                              X