This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

possible flaw?

okay, well in SGU the premis is that the destiny flys through the universe and connects to stargates previously placed on suitable worlds by another ship. well one of the twists is that they cant control the ship and if anyone gets left behind, they're stuck. well wouldnt the stranded person just be able to dial the stargate one after another untill they catch up with the destiny?

the only reason they wouldnt be able to do this is if the destiny jumps from one galaxy to another and if that were the case they wouldnt be able to dial the next galaxy over to catch up but galaxys are typicaly big places and it would be a litle unrealistic that they could explore an entire galaxy in one episode and go to the next so its likely the stranded person would be able to do this.
    STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Originally posted by stargater1990 View Post
    okay, well in SGU the premis is that the destiny flys through the universe and connects to stargates previously placed on suitable worlds by another ship. well one of the twists is that they cant control the ship and if anyone gets left behind, they're stuck. well wouldnt the stranded person just be able to dial the stargate one after another untill they catch up with the destiny?

They'd have to know the adresse to whatever planet the destiny is hoping away to. And I don't think the expedition will know where its going ahead of time.. or no one would be left behind, just gate to that area. Unless, if they can see ahead, they could end up gating into a hostile world (maybe iris type thing, gg)

Comment

I always thought that if someone did somehow get "left behind" all they would have to do is dial Earth or something and then they'd be fine.

And yes I realize there are some problems with this theory like how many extra symbols you need and which one you use, but that's why I let the writers tell the story.
      sigpic
      ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
        I always thought that if someone did somehow get "left behind" all they would have to do is dial Earth or something and then they'd be fine.

And yes I realize there are some problems with this theory like how many extra symbols you need and which one you use, but that's why I let the writers tell the story.
        Not to mention the insane amount of power you'd need...

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post

That breaks the entire premise of the show. They can't go back to Earth. If they could, they'd just go back and fetch a massive expedition party, or get the science boffins to stop the Destiny for research purposes, or just go home and forget all about it. That would essentially be Atlantis but boring.

Comment

Maybe the team on the ship will carry subspace transmitters that will allow anyone who is stranded to extrapolate the Destiny's gate address based on the position of the Destiny relative to the stranded person.

Comment

I am thinking that the show will be filled with a bunch of noobs that dont know how to research information on the ship.. figuring out gate addresses or maybe how to jump from one gate to another in the same galaxy..

I am really curious to how the writers are going to work this in.. getting "stuck" on a ship just seems a little far fetched to me since we have ships @ our disposal and they would have to be a long long long way from home for us not to be able to do some kind of search and rescue..
              sigpic
              I love the big hairy fuzzy men on TV, mmmm
              "I'll Be Your Freyr Elrad, Wait For Me!!!
              Me On YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/airricksreloaded

Comment

Originally posted by airrick View Post
                I am really curious to how the writers are going to work this in.. getting "stuck" on a ship just seems a little far fetched to me since we have ships @ our disposal and they would have to be a long long long way from home for us not to be able to do some kind of search and rescue..
                Well, you first have to remember that the Destiny has been going for at least 10,000 years. This means that even if they were to disable the Destiny's hyperdrive somehow to keep it from making new jumps, it would still take many hundreds if not thousands of years for an Earth ship to catch up. Assuming the Destiny travels to a new galaxy once every five years (it is likely far, far more often, for plot and setting reasons and is shown below to be quite generous in terms of established hyperdrive speeds), and that the galaxies are roughly as far apart as the Milky Way and Pegasus, then even an Earth ship with a ZPM would take roughly 200 years to get from Earth to the Destiny's current position.

Odds are, however, that the Destiny is far older than 10,000 years and is thus much, much farther away. Also, it is likely (for reasons explained below for those interested) that the Destiny has an intergalactic hyperdrive, meaning that no Earth-built ship will be able to catch up with it. Ever.

Why is it likely that the Destiny has an intergalactic hyperdrive?

It takes a ship with a fully powered intergalactic hyperdrive (i.e., an Asgard ship or the Daedalus with a ZPM) four days to cross the 3,000,000 light-year expanse between the Milky Way and Pegasus, yielding a speed of roughly 31,000 lightyears/hour. It takes Earth ships without a ZPM roughly 18 days to make the same journey, yielding a speed of roughly 6,900 lightyears/hour.

Wraith ships with intergalactic hyperdrives would make similar time to an Earth ship. However, in "The Siege, Part 3," it was going to take the Wraith (using a standard hyperdrive) roughly 36 hours to reach Atlantis from somewhere in Pegasus. Assuming that about half that time is spent waiting between jumps, as in "No Man's Land," and that the Pegasus galaxy is, in fact, the Pegasus Irregular Galaxy, which is a little over 4,000 lightyears across, yields a maximum speed for "intragalactic" hyperdrives of about 200 lightyears/hour.

Ships equipped with such hyperdrives would take 625 days, or a little over a year and a half, to get from the Milky Way to Pegasus. However, we know that the Destiny will be making such jumps routinely, so unless Stargate: Universe is going to have entire seasons set in hyperspace, the Destiny's hyperdrive must be of one of the intergalactic varieties.
                "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Very good reasoning and explanation Quadhelix. I think you're pretty much on the money for what we can expect.

Comment

Well, it sounds pretty much like the show "Sliders".
                    Missing the "departure window" is a threat that will create drama.
                    I bet they will everytime just get there in time, (after escaping whatever jail or situation they'll be trapped in), for just a matter of a few seconds.
                    And if by very bad luck, someone get stranded, (because the actor is dismissed from the show) we'll see him back one day, many episodes later, in a big plot device, as he found a way to reach the others...

Comment

the only reason they wouldnt be able to do this is if the destiny jumps from one galaxy to another and if that were the case they wouldnt be able to dial the next galaxy over to catch up but galaxys are typicaly big places and it would be a litle unrealistic that they could explore an entire galaxy in one episode and go to the next so its likely the stranded person would be able to do this.
                      this is called random dailing and does allmost never work

Comment

Originally posted by ha´tak View Post
                        this is called random dailing and does allmost never work

no, i was talking about gating to one planet then another and another untill they were in range of the destiny to gate aboard. i guess i should have worded it differently.
                        STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

no, i was talking about gating to one planet then another and another untill they were in range of the destiny to gate aboard. i guess i should have worded it differently.
                          Firstly, in order to even contemplate this, the person would have to know where the Destiny was going, right down to the 'Gate address.

On top of that, once the Destiny leaves the galaxy, it is forever beyond reach, unless the person has a ZPM (or similar power source) and a dialing computer capable of dialing an eight-chevron address. Why? You suggest dialing a sequence of 'Gates to catch up, but there would be no 'Gates between the galaxies: the Milky Way is about 100,000 light across, but galaxies are generally millions of light years apart. Stargates can generally reach anywhere in their galaxy via a seven-cheron address, but as seen from the the 'Gate-Bridge used in Stargate: Atlantis, Stargates have a maximum range of about 100,000 light years, as thirty of them are needed to form a chain crossing the 3,000,000 between Milky Way and Pegasus.

Therefore, yes, a person could 'Gate to the edge of the galaxy in which he or she were strnded, but the Stargates there would lack the range to connect to the Stargates in the next galaxy, and the Destiny would be in hyperspace and thus unable to take travellers.
                          "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                            Firstly, in order to even contemplate this, the person would have to know where the Destiny was going, right down to the 'Gate address.

On top of that, once the Destiny leaves the galaxy, it is forever beyond reach, unless the person has a ZPM (or similar power source) and a dialing computer capable of dialing an eight-chevron address. Why? You suggest dialing a sequence of 'Gates to catch up, but there would be no 'Gates between the galaxies: the Milky Way is about 100,000 light across, but galaxies are generally millions of light years apart. Stargates can generally reach anywhere in their galaxy via a seven-cheron address, but as seen from the the 'Gate-Bridge used in Stargate: Atlantis, Stargates have a maximum range of about 100,000 light years, as thirty of them are needed to form a chain crossing the 3,000,000 between Milky Way and Pegasus.

Therefore, yes, a person could 'Gate to the edge of the galaxy in which he or she were strnded, but the Stargates there would lack the range to connect to the Stargates in the next galaxy, and the Destiny would be in hyperspace and thus unable to take travellers.
                            Thats the complicatedd way of saying it.
                            the simple would be: No one knows the edge of the Universe as it is eternally expanding and you would need an improbability drive hooked up to the gate to actually succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Fifth View Post
                              No one knows the edge of the Universe as it is eternally expanding and you would need an improbability drive hooked up to the gate to actually succeed.
                              The edge of the Universe? How did that come up?

The issue was whether a stranded member of the Destiny's crew could catch up to it once it left the galaxy by leap-frogging through a series of Stargates until said crew member caught up. I pointed out that such a method would not work because the distance between galaxies is several times the maximum range of a Stargate, meaning that the "leap-frog chain" would die after the first Stargate in the so-called chain.

Comment

Working...
                              X