Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate SG1 /SGA/SGU - The Media Pundit: Longevity

At The Media Pundit:

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

Paging Doctor Greene

Zap2it's blog had a post on 11th about Anthony Edwards' return to E.R. that got me thinking a little bit about why I quit watching this show, and why other shows have kept my attention for basically an entire decade. There's actually a great parallel between E.R. and another show that ran a good ten years itself, where both shows lost their star because no actors really want to spend a quarter of their career -- such a huge chunk of their lives -- doing the same thing over and over again.

Not when they could be spending that time with their families.

**snippage**

But here's the big one for me: Stargate SG-1 ran 10 years and I would have begged for 10 more. I'm not kidding, and I'm not a fanboy either. That show was good enough every single year but different enough from arc to arc that it just never got old. If ever there was a science fiction equivalent to Law & Order, it's the Stargate franchise. SG-1 ran for 10 years, Atlantis will have run for 5 years, and Stargate Universe is right around the corner.

Dick Wolf better watch out, he's got serious competition these days from our friends up north.

Now call me crazy but maybe the reason I could take 20 years of SG-1 but only five or six of E.R., even though E.R. I think had a better cast originally and far better directing -- in so much as directing makes a difference with television -- is because E.R. was stuck in a hospital all its life while Stargate shows can literally go anywhere in the universe at a moments notice. It is literally, even more so than Star Trek ever was, the first true show with an unlimited physical reality with which to tell stories.

That's ironic since every show including Stargate are filmed on a few remote locations and the rest entirely inside a couple of huge warehouse sets, never technically going anywhere.

Anyway, if a few years when Edwards' kids grow up into their teens, it appears as if he might be ready to come back to television or film to finish out his career. Buddy, considering some of the guest stars that SG-1 has had along with recurring characters, there will always be a spot for you through the Stargate.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

I agree. Atlantis is still getting good ratings so after 15 seasons worth of television the stargate franchise still works.

Comment

it's understandable why Stargate was so popular. The show fetured nearly everything. Coedy, suspence, Sci-fi, and had a taseful amout of sex apeal to it. the show never really went too far with Sex like alot of shows do today. It kept a great deal of meturity and yet kept it imature at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by luckygate View Post
        it's understandable why Stargate was so popular. The show fetured nearly everything. Coedy, suspence, Sci-fi, and had a taseful amout of sex apeal to it. the show never really went too far with Sex like alot of shows do today. It kept a great deal of meturity and yet kept it imature at the same time.
        I don't recall it going anywhere...

Comment

Working...
        X