PDA

View Full Version : The Technology info... Why can't we have any?!

rick_coppola
November 16th, 2008, 09:33 PM
How come every time we find new technologies we always have to give it away, destroy it, or in this case send it away to a world (never to be seen again)

Did anyone else think we should have taken it and said "Screw you, we found it. Too bad your species are extint, but we have a war to think of...":confused:

What if the Wraith finds it? i doubt they would be as nice...

SerenaSerenity
November 17th, 2008, 12:45 PM
How come every time we find new technologies we always have to give it away, destroy it, or in this case send it away to a world (never to be seen again)

Did anyone else think we should have taken it and said "Screw you, we found it. Too bad your species are extint, but we have a war to think of...":confused:

Maybe, but in my own opinion, that's what makes us better then the Wraith. *nod nod* Better people anyhow. I really don't think I could wipe out a race just for some technology. And I wouldn't be happy with the people of Atlantis if they had done that. But that is my own opinion. *smiles and nods*

jenks
November 17th, 2008, 01:00 PM

Yes definitely. All that the capsule contained was a potential civilization that would take millions of years to evolve, I could sneeze into a jar and create the same effect.

g.o.d
November 17th, 2008, 01:19 PM
well, they were so stupid, given the fact that all of their capsules didn't work, so would their technology has been worth of our attention? :D

nx01a
November 17th, 2008, 01:44 PM
We don't need their knowledge. We have the combined knowledge of the Asgard and Ancients at our disposal. And what good would the medical knowledge of a silicon-based life form be to us apart from pure academia? Their other technology might be safe for a silicon-based user but it might be toxic or lethal to carbon-based ones. Besides, we've had access to the Ancients' full database for 5 years and couldn't do a damn thing with it, from reverse-engineering weapons to fight the Ori or finding out how to build ZPMs. And what've we been doing with the Asgard core? I doubt we would have much luck with this knowledge, either.

I disagree with Jenks strongly. If that probe had stayed down there and had eventually rusted:P, the civilization would be extinct. Since we found it, taking steps which would destroy the possibility of the race being reborn would be tantamount to genocide on our part. We have the right to destroy another species' slim yet possible hope of survival so we can get technology that we'd never or simply can't use? If that AI and its mission represent [artificial] intelligent design, then Atlantis would be the devil for killing them.

We have enough. Let some other species at least have the chance to survive. If it doesn't work, too bad but we helped as best we could.

jenks
November 17th, 2008, 02:41 PM
We don't need their knowledge. We have the combined knowledge of the Asgard and Ancients at our disposal. And what good would the medical knowledge of a silicon-based life form be to us apart from pure academia? Their other technology might be safe for a silicon-based user but it might be toxic or lethal to carbon-based ones. Besides, we've had access to the Ancients' full database for 5 years and couldn't do a damn thing with it, from reverse-engineering weapons to fight the Ori or finding out how to build ZPMs. And what've we been doing with the Asgard core? I doubt we would have much luck with this knowledge, either.

I disagree with Jenks strongly. If that probe had stayed down there and had eventually rusted:P, the civilization would be extinct. Since we found it, taking steps which would destroy the possibility of the race being reborn would be tantamount to genocide on our part. We have the right to destroy another species' slim yet possible hope of survival so we can get technology that we'd never or simply can't use? If that AI and its mission represent [artificial] intelligent design, then Atlantis would be the devil for killing them.

We have enough. Let some other species at least have the chance to survive. If it doesn't work, too bad but we helped as best we could.

The civilization was already extinct, no one would be losing anything because there was no one to lose anything.

tainor
November 17th, 2008, 03:19 PM
God I just watched the episode and stood there and thought to myself. How stupid those people are. WTF were they brain dead, they were supposed to be the smartest on Earth and do mistakes that normal people would just laugh at. As I was watching I realised how can they let those aliens off, and go to rebuild their civilization we know second to none about them what if they were hostile and were killed by another race may be the Lanteans. What if they can rebuild their civilization in matter of months/years they trusted an AI with couple of soft words. IMO each year the expedition is getting dumber and dumber....First Todd on the Daedalus now this.....

Tain :thor:

nx01a
November 17th, 2008, 03:32 PM
As Woolsey pointed out, the possibility existed. Even if it was a septillion to 1 chance of creating a civilization eventually, who are we to deny that chance? And then there's the question of the AI and whether IT was truly sentient and what it wanted to do with what effectively is its property and 'self'.

If some race had come along to Earth after the Ancients had remade it after their plague and decided that they were going to terraform and destroy everything despite it having the possibility, slim or otherwise, of developing sentient life, would they be wrong? The building blocks for us were there, but we weren't.

jenks
November 17th, 2008, 03:42 PM
As Woolsey pointed out, the possibility existed. Even if it was a septillion to 1 chance of creating a civilization eventually, who are we to deny that chance? And then there's the question of the AI and whether IT was truly sentient and what it wanted to do with what effectively is its property and 'self'.

If some race had come along to Earth after the Ancients had remade it after their plague and decided that they were going to terraform and destroy everything despite it having the possibility, slim or otherwise, of developing sentient life, would they be wrong? The building blocks for us were there, but we weren't.

The same possibility exists with every microbe in the universe, that doesn't mean destroying any one of them is tantamount to genocide.

Giantevilhead
November 17th, 2008, 03:51 PM
This actually has nothing to do with whether or not the Sekari would be resurrected by the pod. This is more about respecting the wishes of the dead. Taking the knowledge from the pod is like stealing a watch off of a dead guy.

jenks
November 17th, 2008, 03:56 PM
This actually has nothing to do with whether or not the Sekari would be resurrected by the pod. This is more about respecting the wishes of the dead. Taking the knowledge from the pod is like stealing a watch off of a dead guy.

Pointless sentiment, especially given that the technology could potentially save hundreds of thousands if not millions of lives.

SerenaSerenity
November 17th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Pointless sentiment, especially given that the technology could potentially save hundreds of thousands if not millions of lives.

I don't know. In my opinion, and question, how would it if they are silicon based beings? I mean, any medical technology would be attuned to them, wouldn't it? It would have to make some serious adjustments for anything to work with us. And a lot of time. As for weapons and other things like that, they have plenty and a whole city of other things that still aren't explored. I really don't think we had any need of the technology and that they did the right thing. Wether or not the race survives and thrives once more doesn't matter. It's the fact that instead of stealing from them, we gave them a chance to survive. The rest is essentially up to them. That's just my opinion of course. To each their own. *smiles*

Jill_Ion
November 17th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Goodness, the Team gets yelled at for killing things and yelled at for not killing things. Guess they better all just go back home and sit on their couches and watch TV like the rest of us. No, wait. They'll get yelled at for that too. Hmmm...

I think they did the right thing in Remnants.

Giantevilhead
November 17th, 2008, 07:38 PM

Well, then why don't we get ourselves a couple of shovels and go grave robbing tonight. Those dead guys don't need the jewelry they were buried with and we can use them to help fix the economy.

jenks
November 17th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I don't know. In my opinion, and question, how would it if they are silicon based beings? I mean, any medical technology would be attuned to them, wouldn't it? It would have to make some serious adjustments for anything to work with us. And a lot of time. As for weapons and other things like that, they have plenty and a whole city of other things that still aren't explored. I really don't think we had any need of the technology and that they did the right thing. Wether or not the race survives and thrives once more doesn't matter. It's the fact that instead of stealing from them, we gave them a chance to survive. The rest is essentially up to them. That's just my opinion of course. To each their own. *smiles*

They are extinct, there is no them. All the expedition has done is allow the potential for life, possibly at the expense of more life, which doesn't make sense.

SerenaSerenity
November 17th, 2008, 08:03 PM
They are extinct, there is no them. All the expedition has done is allow the potential for life, possibly at the expense of more life, which doesn't make sense.

There is a chance for their survival. Maybe a slim chance, but still a chance. I wouldn't wanna take that chance away from them. If they did that, then they would indeed have helped in their extinction. Yes, they were only biologicals, but it was set up to save their race. And taking their technology would've destroyed any chance for that. If it were me and I had done something like that. I honestly wouldn't be able to live with myself. Because in saving all of those lives, I would've also destroyed the chance for a race to bring itself back from extinction. That is just my opinion. Just because there wasn't living beings in it yet doesn't mean there isn't a chance for them. I'd rather give them that chance, then be involved in their extinction. And in my own opinion, that is exactly what would've been. They would've brought on the full extinction of a race, instead of giving it a chance to come back. Everything has the right to live, and we don't have the right to take it away from them. Again, my opinion of course. I'm just explaining it the best way I can. Any other way made no real sense when I read it. But yes, this is how I would've felt if they had done the opposite on the show. So, no I'm not trying to strong arm anyone, promise. Just want to clarify that in case it sounds that way anywhere. *nod nod* Oh, and apologise in advance.

jenks
November 17th, 2008, 08:37 PM
There is a chance for their survival. Maybe a slim chance, but still a chance. I wouldn't wanna take that chance away from them. If they did that, then they would indeed have helped in their extinction. Yes, they were only biologicals, but it was set up to save their race. And taking their technology would've destroyed any chance for that. If it were me and I had done something like that. I honestly wouldn't be able to live with myself. Because in saving all of those lives, I would've also destroyed the chance for a race to bring itself back from extinction. That is just my opinion. Just because there wasn't living beings in it yet doesn't mean there isn't a chance for them. I'd rather give them that chance, then be involved in their extinction. And in my own opinion, that is exactly what would've been. They would've brought on the full extinction of a race, instead of giving it a chance to come back. Everything has the right to live, and we don't have the right to take it away from them. Again, my opinion of course. I'm just explaining it the best way I can. Any other way made no real sense when I read it. But yes, this is how I would've felt if they had done the opposite on the show. So, no I'm not trying to strong arm anyone, promise. Just want to clarify that in case it sounds that way anywhere. *nod nod* Oh, and apologise in advance.

It's not a case of survival though, as their race is already extinct. It's not like their civilization is clinging on, and just need a chance to rebuild itself, their civilization is stone dead. The expedition don't need to take their wishes into consideration because they don't have any, they're all dead.

Zamboni
November 17th, 2008, 08:53 PM
They are extinct, there is no them. All the expedition has done is allow the potential for life, possibly at the expense of more life, which doesn't make sense.Should we dig up the dead and take whatever riches we find then?

Shall we start with the tombs of your ancestors?

And how is this decision made at the expense of more life? Did they have to sacrifice living humans to power the thing?

Finger13
November 17th, 2008, 08:57 PM
It's not a case of survival though, as their race is already extinct. It's not like their civilization is clinging on, and just need a chance to rebuild itself, their civilization is stone dead. The expedition don't need to take their wishes into consideration because they don't have any, they're all dead.

As others have mentioned, how good could their technology have been if their 50 capsules all failed? If they had epic technologies that were somehow superior to Asgard or Ancient technology, certainly they could have flown a ship to deposit the capsules?

I don't think that we lost anything. We already have access to technology that is far beyond us and are yet to master. For instance the Ancient beam weapon that takes out the Hive in one shot.

It was the right thing to do. There's a difference between inadvertently disrupting the natural process of evolution and deliberately destroying it.

Besides, there would be a lot more people complaining had we actually kept the device and destroyed the microbes.

airrick
November 18th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Here is moar food for thought..

Had they found out or known for sure there was a sure fire way to beat the Wraith with the technology on that capsule, would they have been as kind and let it go? The only reason it was easy to let go of that capsule is because other than what the vision was telling us, we knew nothing of the contents.. its like returning a wallet you found without looking inside.. or looking inside and finding 500 bucks.. makes it a bit harder for most people..

Azdgari
November 18th, 2008, 07:25 AM
That would depend on how much more effective that way is, than the currently known sure-fire way to beat the wraith, already possessed by humans in the SG universe: That is, building lots of X304's with Asgard beams, and taking out every Wraith ship in the galaxy.

Tech is just tech. Unless it created some galaxy-reaching Attero-like effect, what more use would it be than the means we already possess?

FallenAngelII
November 18th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Then how come the Sakari didn't fight off the Wraith? What, were they just sitting on their asses doing nothing?

If they didn't engage the Wraith in combat, there'd be no reason for them to develop anti-Wraith technology. If it's medical knowledge, it wouldn't work with carbon-based life forms.

AVFan
November 18th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Then how come the Sakari didn't fight off the Wraith? What, were they just sitting on their asses doing nothing?

If they didn't engage the Wraith in combat, there'd be no reason for them to develop anti-Wraith technology. If it's medical knowledge, it wouldn't work with carbon-based life forms.

For some reason I think they were extinct before the Wraith became a threat. Did they mention something about this in the episode? I can't remember.

I'm kind of on the fence as far as this goes. One way to look at it is that the microbes will die off most likely anyway, and even if they don't, it will take millions of years to evolve (of course unless you have a time dilation field, yada yada...). Another way to see it is that if they have genetic memory, they could become powerful allies, but unless you utilize the time dilation field, that will do us little good versus the Wraith.

And besides, you'd go against the wishes of one hot Australian. :D

unluckynumber11
November 18th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I am for sending them on their merry way. Why do we need more tech? We already have the means to destroy the wraith and everything is fine in the milkyway for the most part. There is no point in taking tech we don't need.

jenks
November 18th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Should we dig up the dead and take whatever riches we find then?

Shall we start with the tombs of your ancestors?

And how is this decision made at the expense of more life? Did they have to sacrifice living humans to power the thing?

If it could save a life, them by all means.

Their extinction happened before the Wraith even existed.

Oh come on, you're being a bit narrow minded don't you think? There's all sorts of technology that could be useful, and last time I checked the Tau'ri hadn't developed any 'anti-Wraith' technology, yet they're doing OK.

SerenaSerenity
November 18th, 2008, 02:58 PM

Yes, already extinct, but with a chance at revival. It's like saying someone's will shouldn't be respected because since their already dead, they wouldn't know if it was or not.

It was like the species will in a strange sort of way. We respect our own dead and follow their will and testiment. Even if they didn't want to give their organs to someone to save another life, we respect the wishes of that dead person and do not do that. So why would we take something from a dead race that could bring them back to life and ruin their chances of being brought back into the galaxy? The A.I. was their will and I believe Atlantis did the right thing in respecting it.

And besides, stealing that and making sure that the race couldn't come back in the process? That would just make them as bad as their enemies. Their moral standerds are what seperates them from the Wraith and who ever else is out there. If they make it 100 percent possible that a race can't bring itself back from extinction, then they would lose that moral.... thing that seperates them from the Wraith and who ever else is out there.

My opinion again as always. I still have nothing against your opinion, but I am explaining my own opinion better. If it seems that way, then I once more appologise.

SoulReaver
November 18th, 2008, 03:18 PM
It's like saying someone's will shouldn't be respected because since their already deadunfortunately there are some cases where it shouldn't

anyway I concur with AVfan on this
at first I'd probably have yielded to temptation & gone for the tech straight away, however a chat with the AI might've shed a whole new light on the situation

PS. and yes that AI lass was hot (and I mean hot I mean hawt, ya know etc. etc. I mean yeah man) but unfortunately she wasn't very..."tangible"...and the torment of tantalus ain't exactly my kinda thing :/

nx01a
November 18th, 2008, 06:59 PM
You wouldn't spend a lifetime eating... stuff and decyphering a alien languages while wearing sack cloth? What's wrong with you?! :P

What I said earlier... strangely missing :P... about 'just as bad as the Wraith... I meant that they look at other sentient beings as food. That's biological necessity there. Even a gazelle will stomp a lion every now and then, so the prey can fight back. As for this situation, we're killing potential life AND their legal representative for another potential: potential technology, knowledge, etc. We don't desperately need this knowledge, it isn't the first 7 seasons of SG-1. We have more 'stuff' than we know what to do with. Why officially kill a race for that? Then again, the whole point of Earth in Pegasus is to rape the place of everything useful...

jenks
November 18th, 2008, 07:02 PM
You wouldn't spend a lifetime eating... stuff and decyphering a alien languages while wearing sack cloth? What's wrong with you?! :P

What I said earlier... strangely missing :P... about 'just as bad as the Wraith... I meant that they look at other sentient beings as food. That's biological necessity there. Even a gazelle will stomp a lion every now and then, so the prey can fight back. As for this situation, we're killing potential life AND their legal representative for another potential: potential technology, knowledge, etc. We don't desperately need this knowledge, it isn't the first 7 seasons of SG-1. We have more 'stuff' than we know what to do with. Why officially kill a race for that? Then again, the whole point of Earth in Pegasus is to rape the place of everything useful...

The race is already dead, you wouldn't be killing anyone. And I think people are misunderstanding the technology, all it would do is seed a few organisms that would hopefully evolve into a sentient race that would be intelligent enough to benefit from the information. Now even if this were to work the race wouldn't be the Sekkari, so either way they're gone.

nx01a
November 18th, 2008, 07:08 PM
'Potential' life.
When Thor's consciousness was in that Hat'ak, should we have decompiled him and taken all the Asgard knowledge because he was 'dead'? In the end, the Asgard we knew and loved were a dying race.
The Ai was adaptive, perhaps even truly sentient. If it was the embodiment of one of the dead aliens or just their creation given life and consciousness, shouldn't we respect its wishes?

jenks
November 18th, 2008, 07:14 PM
'Potential' life.
When Thor's consciousness was in that Hat'ak, should we have decompiled him and taken all the Asgard knowledge because he was 'dead'? In the end, the Asgard we knew and loved were a dying race.

He wasn't dead though.

The Ai was adaptive, perhaps even truly sentient. If it was the embodiment of one of the dead aliens or just their creation given life and consciousness, shouldn't we respect its wishes?

What for?

nx01a
November 18th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Forgetting that we already have the Asgard core... Let's say the Asgard, realizing they'd never fix their genetics, created a similar device and left an AI to guide potentially resulting life forms. Let's say they entrusted this device to us to take to some suitable world or the device failed to reach its destination and AI Thor asked us for assistance. Should we say, "Screw it, take the tech!"

Infinatus
November 18th, 2008, 07:34 PM
For some reason I think they were extinct before the Wraith became a threat. Did they mention something about this in the episode? I can't remember.

It was mentioned that the civilization from the episode went extinct tens of thousands of years ago. The Wraith came into being as a sentient species 10,000 years ago, so there never would have been any contact.

jenks
November 18th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Forgetting that we already have the Asgard core... Let's say the Asgard, realizing they'd never fix their genetics, created a similar device and left an AI to guide potentially resulting life forms. Let's say they entrusted this device to us to take to some suitable world or the device failed to reach its destination and AI Thor asked us for assistance. Should we say, "Screw it, take the tech!"

Yes definitely, only pointless sentiment would make us do otherwise.

Jill_Ion
November 18th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Wasn't it pointless sentiment that lead Atlantis to not trying to dial home in Home? Living fog? Is it even alive? Couldn't we argue that Atlantis had priority cuz McKay wanted to hit the mall?

jenks
November 18th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Wasn't it pointless sentiment that lead Atlantis to not trying to dial home in Home? Living fog? Is it even alive? Couldn't we argue that Atlantis had priority cuz McKay wanted to hit the mall?

No, it was because of the moral implications.

nx01a
November 18th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Thinking in terms of 'potential' life is like Woolsey thinking in terms of 'acceptable loses'.

It's amazing how this episode sparked a kind of pro-life/pro-choice argument.
I'd better not get firebombed! :P

Jill_Ion
November 18th, 2008, 09:10 PM
no, it was because of the moral implications.

ok. :)

thinking in terms of 'potential' life is like woolsey thinking in terms of 'acceptable loses'.

It's amazing how this episode sparked a kind of pro-life/pro-choice argument.
I'd better not get firebombed! :p

ok. :)

nx01a
November 18th, 2008, 09:14 PM
You sit on that fence well. :D

AVFan
November 18th, 2008, 10:04 PM
You sit on that fence well. :D

Perfectly balanced, dontchaknow. :D
Thinking about the Asgard comparison above, I suppose it would be pretty hypocritical to save the Asgard, but not the Sakari.

It's different, though, now. We do have Asgard tech, so the need for better tech now isn't as urgent seeing as the Asgard probably have one of the best techs in the universe. So maybe this decision goes a different way if we're still in SG1, seasons 1-4-ish, where we have just started to form an alliance with the Asgard.

I also do a good job on fences. :D

RedWolf
November 19th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Like the Ancient repositories of knowledge and the Asgard database were the legacy of two races of the alliance for humans. (Asgard DB for Tau'ri)

The data is meant for the Sakari's second evolution.

It's the same mentality of the Ancients when they were dying of the plague.

They want somebody to remember them. The Sakari want their potential second evolution to remember them.

Heck the Sakari could become the Sixth Race. If the Tau'ri become like the Ancients and Asgard in several milliion years.

If we go ascending or extinction another potential race to remember us by.

For all we know the Asgard seeded the Ida galaxy for a potential second evolution of theirs.

Candy88
November 19th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Surely the AI construct could have given us some info. It would have been a good bargaining chip rather than just hoping Atlantis would "do the right thing" (after all, a few days later and the new commander would have been incharge who seemed very keen on cracking the pod open). It could at least have said how it created the hallucinations.

But then again, as nx01a pointed out:

we've had access to the Ancients' full database for 5 years and couldn't do a damn thing with it,

I think TPTB have always intentionally neglected to allow us to properly exploit acquired technologies. If we did then (as with most suggested reality-based changes to the show) the dramatic tension and excitement would be greatly reduced. In all likely-hood Atlantis would just remain in complete tranquility with their entire solar system shielded and would have super-intelligent Androids with inbuilt sub-space radar, personel sheilds (like the one Mckay briefly possessed) and more carrying out all but the safest off-world missions.

The show would become awfully dull, awfully quickly.

nx01a
November 19th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Until a race with more Ancient technology came along to be a real threat to us and... Crap. That was the Asurans and look how TPTB punked them. :(

airrick
November 20th, 2008, 07:43 AM
After watching the episode again I found a couple of things coming to mind..

#1 Even if we could somehow get the tech from this race, what could they really offer us? It would be my guess they dont have any ship tech because they couldnt even leave their planet outside of these devices that arent much more advanced than real present day satellites. Of course we cant stash our building blocks into it with AI that can help bring mankind back to life, but the device itself and how it was suppose to work isnt to the level that would even matter to those in the StarGate world.

#2 The medical information would fall more on the side of useless to us. Even if we find something small would it be worth keeping the device? The lifeforms inside that device are pretty far from humans in the way they are designed, I think TPTB wanted it that way so there was less concern for just letting go of the information.

#3 Other than the cool history of these people, how they died and what they stood for I cant think of anything that we would need from their information. If they couldnt even get themselves off of their planet and it wasnt the Wraith that killed them or any outside species for that matter then they probably didnt even have any defensive tech. This shines mostly when you realize the device itself isnt really protected other than the AI that can talk to people, and most of us are assuming they couldnt touch or move objects so not much else they could do other than bore us with monologue.

Bottom line in my opinion, keep it or let it go, it doesnt matter. There probably isnt anything of any significance to the Atlantis team in that device. Just some history and maybe some photos of the civilization.

just my 2 cents

AncientWorshipper
November 20th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Am I the only one who thought that we should have sent them to the planet then either take the info once the biological stuff has been used and leave them with a simpler way of access the tech or just stuck them in a speed up time dilation field so they can help us kick the wraiths ass.

FallenAngelII
November 21st, 2008, 09:55 AM
Like the Ancient repositories of knowledge and the Asgard database were the legacy of two races of the alliance for humans. (Asgard DB for Tau'ri)

The data is meant for the Sakari's second evolution.

It's the same mentality of the Ancients when they were dying of the plague.

They want somebody to remember them. The Sakari want their potential second evolution to remember them.
Not necessarily. The Ancients seeded life in the Milky Way twice. This does not mean that they purposely manipulated nature (as far as we know) and it was only by chance that humans came to be on Earth after the Dakara Device was used.

It's also been speculated that the fact that the repository ignored Teal'c but acknowledged Jack was because Jack has the ATA gene, so the repositories were probably made for other Ancients.

Throw in the fact that the repositories contain knowledge of the Asgard, whom the Ancients could only have met 100.000 or so years ago or earlier since the Asgard didn't come to be 'til 100.000 years ago.

So the repositories were created or updated millions of years after they left the Milky Way and re-seeded the galaxy. I don't think the repositories are there for their 2nd evolution to remember them at all.

For one thing, they had no way of knowing what would happen once life was re-seeded. The Sakari have put biological data into whatevers to help evolution along, however.

Am I the only one who thought that we should have sent them to the planet then either take the info once the biological stuff has been used and leave them with a simpler way of access the tech or just stuck them in a speed up time dilation field so they can help us kick the wraiths ass.
We don't have that technology yet (despite having the Asgard database). We just haven't found it in the database or we just haven't been able to implement it yet.

If we had, it'd be the Deus ex Machina. Need more time? Time dilation field! Imminent death? Time dilation field. Someone's coming and you have to prepare? Time dilation field. Trap the Wraith? Time dilation field.

Merlin1701
November 25th, 2008, 02:40 PM
It stated in the episode that each "seed carrier" had a link so the one discovered by Atlantis knew that out of 50 carriers deployed only it had a chance to succeed?! What happened to the rest? There could be 49 more chances to find this database?!

The crew know the energy signal produced by the "carriers" and the metallic structure, could the team not stumble across one in the future. I say future; the movies will focus on bigger things! The future of Atlantis will not be fumbling around the Pegasus Galaxy looking for technology from a long dead race...wait...well maybe.

what do you think?

Dragon_Heart
November 27th, 2008, 01:12 PM
If we kept that technology, we would be condemming an entire potencial species to their deaths. That would make us no better than the wraith.
Which would basically make everyone hate atlantis, well the right minded people anyway, since we have grown to know the team as helpful, and never try to purposfully harm another friendly race.

-Dh