Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Technology info... Why can't we have any?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Technology info... Why can't we have any?!

How come every time we find new technologies we always have to give it away, destroy it, or in this case send it away to a world (never to be seen again)

Did anyone else think we should have taken it and said "Screw you, we found it. Too bad your species are extint, but we have a war to think of..."

What if the Wraith finds it? i doubt they would be as nice...

Originally posted by rick_coppola View Post
    How come every time we find new technologies we always have to give it away, destroy it, or in this case send it away to a world (never to be seen again)

Did anyone else think we should have taken it and said "Screw you, we found it. Too bad your species are extint, but we have a war to think of..."

Maybe, but in my own opinion, that's what makes us better then the Wraith. *nod nod* Better people anyhow. I really don't think I could wipe out a race just for some technology. And I wouldn't be happy with the people of Atlantis if they had done that. But that is my own opinion. *smiles and nods*
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rick_coppola View Post

Yes definitely. All that the capsule contained was a potential civilization that would take millions of years to evolve, I could sneeze into a jar and create the same effect.

Comment

well, they were so stupid, given the fact that all of their capsules didn't work, so would their technology has been worth of our attention?
        Stolen Kosovo
        sigpic

Comment

We don't need their knowledge. We have the combined knowledge of the Asgard and Ancients at our disposal. And what good would the medical knowledge of a silicon-based life form be to us apart from pure academia? Their other technology might be safe for a silicon-based user but it might be toxic or lethal to carbon-based ones. Besides, we've had access to the Ancients' full database for 5 years and couldn't do a damn thing with it, from reverse-engineering weapons to fight the Ori or finding out how to build ZPMs. And what've we been doing with the Asgard core? I doubt we would have much luck with this knowledge, either.

I disagree with Jenks strongly. If that probe had stayed down there and had eventually rusted, the civilization would be extinct. Since we found it, taking steps which would destroy the possibility of the race being reborn would be tantamount to genocide on our part. We have the right to destroy another species' slim yet possible hope of survival so we can get technology that we'd never or simply can't use? If that AI and its mission represent [artificial] intelligent design, then Atlantis would be the devil for killing them.

We have enough. Let some other species at least have the chance to survive. If it doesn't work, too bad but we helped as best we could.
          Last edited by nx01a; 17 November 2008, 12:49 PM.
          sigpic
          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
            We don't need their knowledge. We have the combined knowledge of the Asgard and Ancients at our disposal. And what good would the medical knowledge of a silicon-based life form be to us apart from pure academia? Their other technology might be safe for a silicon-based user but it might be toxic or lethal to carbon-based ones. Besides, we've had access to the Ancients' full database for 5 years and couldn't do a damn thing with it, from reverse-engineering weapons to fight the Ori or finding out how to build ZPMs. And what've we been doing with the Asgard core? I doubt we would have much luck with this knowledge, either.

I disagree with Jenks strongly. If that probe had stayed down there and had eventually rusted, the civilization would be extinct. Since we found it, taking steps which would destroy the possibility of the race being reborn would be tantamount to genocide on our part. We have the right to destroy another species' slim yet possible hope of survival so we can get technology that we'd never or simply can't use? If that AI and its mission represent [artificial] intelligent design, then Atlantis would be the devil for killing them.

We have enough. Let some other species at least have the chance to survive. If it doesn't work, too bad but we helped as best we could.
            The civilization was already extinct, no one would be losing anything because there was no one to lose anything.

Comment

God I just watched the episode and stood there and thought to myself. How stupid those people are. WTF were they brain dead, they were supposed to be the smartest on Earth and do mistakes that normal people would just laugh at. As I was watching I realised how can they let those aliens off, and go to rebuild their civilization we know second to none about them what if they were hostile and were killed by another race may be the Lanteans. What if they can rebuild their civilization in matter of months/years they trusted an AI with couple of soft words. IMO each year the expedition is getting dumber and dumber....First Todd on the Daedalus now this.....

Tain

sigpic

Comment

As Woolsey pointed out, the possibility existed. Even if it was a septillion to 1 chance of creating a civilization eventually, who are we to deny that chance? And then there's the question of the AI and whether IT was truly sentient and what it wanted to do with what effectively is its property and 'self'.

If some race had come along to Earth after the Ancients had remade it after their plague and decided that they were going to terraform and destroy everything despite it having the possibility, slim or otherwise, of developing sentient life, would they be wrong? The building blocks for us were there, but we weren't.
                sigpic
                More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                  As Woolsey pointed out, the possibility existed. Even if it was a septillion to 1 chance of creating a civilization eventually, who are we to deny that chance? And then there's the question of the AI and whether IT was truly sentient and what it wanted to do with what effectively is its property and 'self'.

If some race had come along to Earth after the Ancients had remade it after their plague and decided that they were going to terraform and destroy everything despite it having the possibility, slim or otherwise, of developing sentient life, would they be wrong? The building blocks for us were there, but we weren't.
                  The same possibility exists with every microbe in the universe, that doesn't mean destroying any one of them is tantamount to genocide.

Comment

This actually has nothing to do with whether or not the Sekari would be resurrected by the pod. This is more about respecting the wishes of the dead. Taking the knowledge from the pod is like stealing a watch off of a dead guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
                      This actually has nothing to do with whether or not the Sekari would be resurrected by the pod. This is more about respecting the wishes of the dead. Taking the knowledge from the pod is like stealing a watch off of a dead guy.
                      Pointless sentiment, especially given that the technology could potentially save hundreds of thousands if not millions of lives.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                        Pointless sentiment, especially given that the technology could potentially save hundreds of thousands if not millions of lives.
                        I don't know. In my opinion, and question, how would it if they are silicon based beings? I mean, any medical technology would be attuned to them, wouldn't it? It would have to make some serious adjustments for anything to work with us. And a lot of time. As for weapons and other things like that, they have plenty and a whole city of other things that still aren't explored. I really don't think we had any need of the technology and that they did the right thing. Wether or not the race survives and thrives once more doesn't matter. It's the fact that instead of stealing from them, we gave them a chance to survive. The rest is essentially up to them. That's just my opinion of course. To each their own. *smiles*
                        sigpic

Comment

Goodness, the Team gets yelled at for killing things and yelled at for not killing things. Guess they better all just go back home and sit on their couches and watch TV like the rest of us. No, wait. They'll get yelled at for that too. Hmmm...

I think they did the right thing in Remnants.

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
                          O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                            Well, then why don't we get ourselves a couple of shovels and go grave robbing tonight. Those dead guys don't need the jewelry they were buried with and we can use them to help fix the economy.

Comment

Originally posted by SerenaSerenity View Post
                              I don't know. In my opinion, and question, how would it if they are silicon based beings? I mean, any medical technology would be attuned to them, wouldn't it? It would have to make some serious adjustments for anything to work with us. And a lot of time. As for weapons and other things like that, they have plenty and a whole city of other things that still aren't explored. I really don't think we had any need of the technology and that they did the right thing. Wether or not the race survives and thrives once more doesn't matter. It's the fact that instead of stealing from them, we gave them a chance to survive. The rest is essentially up to them. That's just my opinion of course. To each their own. *smiles*
                              They are extinct, there is no them. All the expedition has done is allow the potential for life, possibly at the expense of more life, which doesn't make sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X