This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Budget

does anyone know the buget of the new stargate series because if it not more than SGA the show will have poor quality hence 80 percent of sga

I don't know the exact figure, but I think it was said on Joe Malozzi's blog that it will have a total budget on a similar level to what season 6 of SGA was going to be, also you have to take into account the fact that there will be a cast of mostly less experienced actors than SGA who will probably be on lower salaries than the current actors of SGA.
    I think it was also mentioned that Universe will have a bigger budget for special effects than SGA for the very reasons I've mentioned above.
    I doubt it will be of a poor quality production.

Comment

hmmm SG1's budget was a bit over 1 million...and SGA, idk ^ he said it was 80% so idk it better live up to SGA and SG1!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Major V1125 View Post
        hmmm SG1's budget was a bit over 1 million...and SGA, idk ^ he said it was 80% so idk it better live up to SGA and SG1!!!!
        SG-1's budget was around 1.5 to 2 million per episode, towards the end it was anyway.

Comment

Here is an interview where Brad Wright talks about Universe and its budget:

http://www.gateworld.net/interviews/..._part_23.shtml

"Universe, if we do it the way we want to do it, is very expensive, and I think we've proven ourselves." Brad Wright

I'm guessing it'll be more expensive since they're on a ship exploring different places every week and so there might be more computer graphics and costumes and make-up for all the new aliens they will meet.

Comment

"Universe, if we do it the way we want to do it, is very expensive, and I think we've proven ourselves." Brad Wright

I'm guessing it'll be more expensive since they're on a ship exploring different places every week and so there might be more computer graphics and costumes and make-up for all the new aliens they will meet.

Comment

I hope they got 3 million / episode, what would be enough for new shooting locations or CGI worlds and aliens in blue box. The first DVD movie (AoT) cost 7 million dollar, so if they get 2,5-3 million, that they can make almost every episode like a movie.

And don't forget LOST and Heroes got much bigger budget. I can imagine only what the SG crew could make from the budegt of 4-5-6 million $ / episode.
              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by General Yogi Bear View Post

I think that's likely to be the case.
                I think the team has definitely proven they deserve a decent sized budget to make the episodes they want.

Comment

with hella money should equal a KICK ASS show then and it BETTER be a KICK ASS one!

Comment

Where the show is filmed will also be important. They filmed SG-1 and SGA in Canada and for most of SG-1's run, the US dollar was equal to about 1.6 Canadian dollar. Right now, the US dollar is equal to about 1.2 Canadian dollar.

Comment

Budget doesn't come in on a per-episode basis. There is no "2 million per episode budget". That's just the average you usually get. A show gets a total budget and TPTB need to work things out, so that the money is enough for a full season. That's how you get a VFX-heavy episode like BAMSR and also a low-budget one like "Inquisition". They balance things out. You need to be careful not to blow all your VFX budget on one episode.
                      The budget for SGA was around 40 million per season, if I'm not mistaken.
                      But for a brand new show, where actors get paid far less than in their sixth season, such a budget would be pretty good, since this isn't a network show.
                      And don't forget LOST and Heroes got much bigger budget. I can imagine only what the SG crew could make from the budegt of 4-5-6 million $ / episode.
                      Yes, that's the example of a network show. A lot of location shooting(LOST is filmed in Hawaii) and huge casts, with big-name actors(network stars always get paid far more). SG would probably blow any other TV show out of the water with a 100 million budget per season. Unless, of course, TPTB feel that such a budget would be better spent on hiring big name, pretty actors. They always tend to bring in more viewers than the VFX. Or...they COULD hire some new writers. Seriously, is there no eccentric billionaire out there who's a fan of Stargate?

Comment

slightly off topic, could they possibly use vuisuals from stargate worlds as like a template for a planet/race? as most of that has already been done so it'd be cheaper but "its stargate worlds' coolness abounds so i dont think the fact that it wouldn't cost so much would have a negative effect on the show. but still, its universe, what the frell is a senators daughter doing on a gate team??

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                          I hope they got 3 million / episode, what would be enough for new shooting locations or CGI worlds and aliens in blue box.

Too much CGI and the stories would suffer even more htan they do now because there would be no reason to do bottle shows that actually have to expand on characters and it would all be big flashes and explosions and CGI?
                          Personally, I think SGA could have benefitted had they slashed its budget in half.
                          Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                          Yes, I am!
                          sigpic
                          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                          Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

actually it could be so much better with more money. remember FC/TLT? the cityscene inbetween is so cool. the wall CGI too, and Hologram CGI isnt cheap either, just as Gate CGI. or weapons CGI, weapons effects, etc. or wraith telepathy.

put this way: it doesnt nessecarily mean big booms and massive fights. it would mean more ships, aliens, techs, better effects, etc

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                              it would mean more ships, aliens, techs, better effects, etc
                              And, hopefully, planets which aren't covered in Canadian woodland.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X