A Furling Thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Furling Thought

Couldn't they have just made this species the Furlings? Gave a little back story of how they ended up in Pegasus, and then this chapter of Stargate would have been closed once an for all?

Or has there been something that I missed thats been established for the Furlings that would not make this possible.

Thanks all!!
    You have already taken the first steps towards becoming.....The Fifth Race.

Would be a bit of a let down don't you think?

Comment

Furlings=plot device. End of story. No new race is nor ever will be the Furlings.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
        Would be a bit of a let down don't you think?
        No I agree with the let down. I am just saying this seems like for TPTB that it would leave a very easy and quick opportunity to tie up something that has been in question since Season 1 and 2 of SG1. And god knows they love quick and easy outs.

Comment

lol why didn't I see this coming? We get one of these every time a new race is introduced
          Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

They can't really ever use the Furlings - How do you make a serious story about a race called the Furlings?

Comment

Originally posted by YoshiKart64 View Post
              They can't really ever use the Furlings - How do you make a serious story about a race called the Furlings?
              Its easy...
              1. They could call themselves something different
              2. Furling don't sound that bad, infact I think it makes a nice species name, and I don't think it sounds like a name a hairy and fuzzy race would have. Infact I think of them as a more Aquatic or Feathered species.
              3. If they can make the NOX sound like a series race, then they can do the same with the Furlings.
              sigpic
              Banner Made By Me for Me
              The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Big cage, you, locked, no key, ocean.

Comment

Because apparently, the Furlings and the Ancients only met after they returned to the Milky Way.

The Furlings are a part of the Four Races in the Milky Way alliance. As Established in "The Lost Tribe", that alliance came to be 100.000 years ago or less since the Asgard haven't been around for much longer than that.

One important fact here is that since the the Asgard haven't been around for longer than 100.000 years, the Ancients cannot have met them before they went to Pegasus (millions of years ago).

So they met them either while on Pegasus or once they returned. This creates a dilemma. From what we know, no Furlings evacuated through the gate with the Ancients. But they were in the alliance.

So... did the Ancients leave a few people behind in the Milky Way galaxy? Did these people include some Furlings (with the brunt of the Furling civilization in Pegasus)? So we have two of the Great Four living in Pegasus with small factions in the Milky Way and those factions forged an alliance with the Asgard and the Nox?

That's not to mention that we've seen Furling techonlogy in the Milky Way. The gateway in "Paradise Lost" was Furling (IIRC). There were suposed to be Furling skeletons used in the episode but they proved too expensive to manufacture so they just used human skeletons, but that was a Furling moon.

So... in order for the Sakari to have been the Furlings, it'd have had to have been like this:
                  1) Furlings and Ancients co-existed in the Milky Way galaxy. Millions of years ago, when the Ancients re-seeded life after the Ori plague, the Furlings left with the Ancients to travel to Pegasus.
                  1a) Some Furlings and Ancients stayed behind/went back and eventually met with the Nox and Asgard and thus the Alliance of Four was created.
                  1b) Once the war against the Wraith was lost, the Ancients and Furlings both went back to the Milky Way (inexplicably, they also foresaw their own downfall and left probes to resurrect their society... in the Pegasus galaxy).
                  2) The Furlings originated in the Pegasus galaxy and went back to the Milky Way with the Ancients... but still left probes behind in Pegasus for some reason.

The more logical explanation extrapolated from the history of Stargate + that statement from that rogue Asgard in "The Lost Tribe":
                  The Ancients re-seeded the Milky Way and then left in their city ship. Millions of years later (10.008 years ago), they went back and met the Asgard, the Furlings and the Nox (or they met them sometime before that during some of their travels). They struck up an Alliance. And then everybody except the Nox died.

Comment

Originally posted by Amalthea View Post
                    Furlings=plot device. End of story. No new race is nor ever will be the Furlings.
                    Not really, it could just have easily been the three great races...

Comment

There's always a thread like this during a first contact episode. It wouldn't really make sense for the Furlings to be introduced in Atlantis, though. An SG-1 movie would be the ideal place to do it, though now it's kind of pointless because there's so much hype about the Furlings that they'd never live up to expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by Infinatus View Post
                        There's always a thread like this during a first contact episode. It wouldn't really make sense for the Furlings to be introduced in Atlantis, though. An SG-1 movie would be the ideal place to do it, though now it's kind of pointless because there's so much hype about the Furlings that they'd never live up to expectations.
                        The only reason I brought this up this particular time is because they said the race was very advanced. I wouldn't have said this otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Infinatus View Post
                          Indeed... People have built it up too much. I think the best thing they could do would be to introduce them in Universe at some point, having left our galaxy thousands of years ago to start anew following the demise of the Alliance. imo.

Comment

Originally posted by ablevins425 View Post
                            Couldn't they have just made this species the Furlings? Gave a little back story of how they ended up in Pegasus, and then this chapter of Stargate would have been closed once an for all?

Or has there been something that I missed thats been established for the Furlings that would not make this possible.

Thanks all!!
                            This is SGA, Furlings are SG-1. SGA needs its own alien races, not SG-1's canned races. And if the writers really wanted to bring back the Furlings, they would have done it in SG-1.
                            Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                            encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                            3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                            4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                            5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

The Furlings were part of the great Alliance of Four Races. I'd say that's enough to make a serious story about them. Would be cool if the Lost Tribe Asgard reunited with the Furlings. That would make for an interesting encounter.

Comment

Working...
                              X