Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The essential Scripts (rant/essay warning)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The essential Scripts (rant/essay warning)

One day i was wandering in my library and i discovered the TV section.

Twas then that I discovered "STARGATE: SG1 THE ESSENTIAL SCRIPTS"

Even more astonishing was that it was a fairly recent book. (Library must have gotten a budget boost)

It contains the original uncut shooting scripts for "Torment of Tantalus", "The fifth race", Window of Opportunity", "2010", "Wormhole X-Treme!" and "Abyss"

I've only read half of it, and now i like stargate, and it's band of guys and gals even more!

I've heard much of Ad-libbing on these boards, but only after reading some of the scripts do I appreciate what a crucial addition they are to Stargate Sg-1

e.g. in fifth race
    DANIEL
    You just said there's nothing cruvus with you

O'NIELL
    No I didn't

DANIEL
    Yes you did

Teal'c Nods confirmation

but what we got was:
    DANIEL
    You just said there's nothing 'cruvus' with you.
    O'NEILL
    I did not.
    DANIEL
    Yes, you did.
    O'NEILL
    No, I didn't.
    DANIEL
    Yes, you did.
    O'NEILL
    Didn't.
    DANIEL
    Did.
    O'NEILL
    Didn't.
    DANIEL
    Did.
    O'NEILL
    Cruvus, what is that?

Note that when he and Teal'c were boxing, ole' chris judge actually punched RDA! What we then saw was some lightning fast adlibbing

And for Window of Opportunity

The golfing scene was in one block
    O'NEILL
    How far is Alaris anyway?
    TEAL'C
    Several billion miles.
    O'NEILL
    That's gotta be a record.

o'neill takes his turn as Hammond pounds on blast door

GEN. HAMMOND (O.S.)
    Colonel, what the hell are you doing in there?!

O'Neill is thrown by the distraction - FLASH (new scene)

But of course we got:

O'NEILL
    How far is Alaris anyway?
    TEAL'C
    Several billion miles, O'Neill.
    O'NEILL
    That's got to be a record!

[He takes his shot too.]

HAMMOND
    Colonel O'Neill, what the hell are you doing?
    O'Neill looks up and turns around to face the control room angrily.

O'NEILL
    (angrily and animatedly)
    In the middle of my back swing!?

ahh... RDA...

some other snippets before my rant drive runs out:
    Thank Brad Wright for the golfing scene - He's the golfer - he wanted it in the eppie. RDA just put the icing on top
    Peter DeLuise came up with Teal'c being stuck the the thermometer repeatedly
    He also came up with the smily face on the dish (originally O'Neill was just drinking coffee)
    Apparently he also spent a lot of time ensuring that the bowl of fruit loops had exactly the same colours in every shot.
    Originally O'Neill was to ride down a highway on a harley. But instead he got a push bike.
    This eppie's contribution to ship came from Paul Mullie when ideas for lengthening the episode were thrown around. - he notes that the resignation thing was because the airforce advisors said that he had to.

That's all for now folks

Good Lord! only 24 posts??

Comment

I've not read the scriptbook yet...but I will.

Gotta love RDA and adlibs!

*sigh*
      sigpic
      Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Yeah, i want to track one down too. they sound a lot like Thomasina Gibson's books. little snippits about the episode and some nice insider dish
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I've got da script book, the set up of Wormhole Xtreme sounds like it was interesting!
          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

ive been thinking of picking season 1 and 2 up to go along side the dvd magazine.

what deleted scenes are their from torment?
            sigpic
            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Bigger convo between Catherine and Daniel at her place where she says that's she's reluctant to go offworld to find Ernest because she feels he betrayed her by going offworld in 1945 without telling her!
              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Col_Lake
                One day i was wandering in my library and i discovered the TV section.
                Twas then that I discovered "STARGATE: SG1 THE ESSENTIAL SCRIPTS"
                Even more astonishing was that it was a fairly recent book. (Library must have gotten a budget boost)
                It contains the original uncut shooting scripts for "Torment of Tantalus", "The fifth race", Window of Opportunity", "2010", "Wormhole X-Treme!" and "Abyss"
                What! Your library has books on Stargate?! I'm amazed - must have been a donation from a scifi fan.

I've been wondering about this book. Thanks so much for posting the excerpts, it sounds really interesting and those episodes are some of my favorites.

RDA sounds like the king of ablibs! And Peter DeLuise came up with the smiley face on the dish?? Loved that bit!

I think I may have to get this.
                Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

can you post up some more transcripts from it?
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

hmm, transcript from this here book is actually quite dry compared to transcripts from eppies.

Here's the biggest missing scene from torment of tantalus,
                    Catherine's house - kitchen - day

Catherine is scrubbing dishes and daniel is standing around

Daniel
                    I know this must be overwhelming

Catherine
                    Go

Daniel
                    Where?

Catherine
                    Away. Go Away. Leave me alone

Daniel
                    Don't you want to know if he's still alive? It's possible. We could find him.

Catherine
                    What he dis is unforgivable. We were planning a life together. He chose to give that up. He abandoned me!

For 50 years I've thought he was dead. I can't just dig up a person that i buried so long ago.

after a moment

Daniel
                    Look, I uh... you're one of the few people who know i was raised by foster parents.

catherine looks confused

Daniel
                    THis may be a long way to my point but i spent most of my life feeling bitterness towards my real parents. I didn't know why they gave me up. I felt abandoned. Then one day i woke up and realised what i needed to know. I needed to understand what happened.

Catherine
                    You found them?

Daniel
                    They had died. Six months earlier

Catherine
                    I'm sorry

Daniel
                    All those years, I had the chance and I didn't take it. The moment I was first brought in to see the stargate i asked you what it was. You said it was my stargate. That wasn't true. It's yours. It always has been. You're not through with it yet, Catherine. You have one more thing left to do...

I think later in the series they change details bout his parent's untimely demise tho....

here's some other snippets

Daniel (to o'neill)
                    I think that vein on his head is about to blow.

Carter
                    I really hope he went to put some clothes on
                    Ernest goes to a plant, picks off a grey piece of fruit and puts it in Daniel's hand
                    Daniel
                    Those plants... they grow without light?

Ernest
                    Eat

Daniel
                    Thank you

he figures he'll just hold the wierd looking thing for a while

Daniel
                    Doesn't anyone else live here?

Ernest shakes his head

Daniel
                    How about nearby?

Curiously he tries to bite the fruit but it is too tough. Ernest shakes his head again.

Daniel
                    Are you saying you've been completely alone for fifty years?

Ernest comes over, takes the fruit and throws it to the floow. It splits open and a reddish goo leaks out. Ernest picks it up, sucks out some of the goo and gives it back to daniel.
                    Daniel
                    Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Col_Lake
                      ...Thank Brad Wright for the golfing scene - He's the golfer - he wanted it in the eppie. RDA just put the icing on top ...
                      Actually, we learn in the behind the scene stuff for the Season 7 DVDs that Christopher Judge is a huge golf fan. So maybe he had some input too.

Signature banner by Lucia Tanaka

Comment

Working...
                      X