PDA

View Full Version : How did Woolsey activate the transporter?

Bobby
November 15th, 2008, 03:45 PM
As the title says how did Woolsey activate the transporter? It was the only thing that bothered me about this episode. I know that computer-device thing can give you hallucinations so maybe that was it but it just seemed odd because he didnít even touch the screen or had any free hands.

Your thoughts?

Moao
November 15th, 2008, 03:51 PM
dang thats a good point, maybe the booth can go via mental command as well, and woosley happened to activate it that way, but that would mean he has the gene. I dunno thats the only idea I can think of

jenks
November 15th, 2008, 03:58 PM
As the title says how did Woolsey activate the transporter? It was the only thing that bothered me about this episode. I know that computer-device thing can give you hallucinations so maybe that was it but it just seemed odd because he didnít even touch the screen or had any free hands.

Your thoughts?

The answer.

SerenaSerenity
November 15th, 2008, 04:10 PM

Your thoughts?

True, that is a good question. If it was a hallucination, how did he end up in the area he wanted though? I am stumped. lol

TragicComedy
November 15th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I don't know if you've ever seen Fight Club but maybe it was like that. Hallucinations can make it appear that someone else is doing something when its actually you who did it. So in this case, it made it look like Conrad activated the door when in reality, Woolsey was actually doing it. I dunno. Just a theory.

SerenaSerenity
November 15th, 2008, 05:45 PM
I don't know if you've ever seen Fight Club but maybe it was like that. Hallucinations can make it appear that someone else is doing something when its actually you who did it. So in this case, it made it look like Conrad activated the door when in reality, Woolsey was actually doing it. I dunno. Just a theory.

That's actually a very sound theory. I could see that happening. *nod nod*

FallenAngelII
November 15th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I doubt it. If the A.I. could make people hallucinate like that, practically turning them into puppets, it wouldn't have had to use subterfuge to get them reactivate the device and send it into space.

It could've tricked them into doing it by showing them an illusion, making them think they were eating lunch or something. Why risk it by making contact and then trying to convince Richard to save the Sakari? Why go through all that trouble with John? The A.I. could just trick John into thinking he was ordering a data retrieval when in reality he's ordering a reactivation + launch into space.

Why not just use the expedition like puppets and get it done with within hours or so?

SerenaSerenity
November 15th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I doubt it. If the A.I. could make people hallucinate like that, practically turning them into puppets, it wouldn't have had to use subterfuge to get them reactivate the device and send it into space.

It could've tricked them into doing it by showing them an illusion, making them think they were eating lunch or something. Why risk it by making contact and then trying to convince Richard to save the Sakari? Why go through all that trouble with John? The A.I. could just trick John into thinking he was ordering a data retrieval when in reality he's ordering a reactivation + launch into space.

Why not just use the expedition like puppets and get it done with within hours or so?

Well, I don't think that would really be the case. Just my opinion, but in fight club, when he was fighting Brad Pitt, he was actually hitting himself. So, it would have to be willingly wanting to fix it and send it off. That's why I think it's such a sound theory. They can't make anyone do anything they don't wanna do. Which was why they were creating hallucinations, for John so they could protect themselves, for Rodney so he would find the device, and for Woolsey to see if he was trust worthy enough. lol Anyhow, to each their own, just throwing in my two cents. *nods*

TragicComedy
November 15th, 2008, 06:42 PM

Well, I don't think that would really be the case. Just my opinion, but in fight club, when he was fighting Brad Pitt, he was actually hitting himself. So, it would have to be willingly wanting to fix it and send it off. That's why I think it's such a sound theory. They can't make anyone do anything they don't wanna do. Which was why they were creating hallucinations, for John so they could protect themselves, for Rodney so he would find the device, and for Woolsey to see if he was trust worthy enough. lol Anyhow, to each their own, just throwing in my two cents. *nods*

I agree with SerenaSerenity. I don't think the AI had the capability to make anyone do anything they weren't willing to do. Thus the hallucinations. And as to why not use the expedition like puppets? Maybe because it wasn't the right thing to do.

Amalthea
November 15th, 2008, 07:28 PM
When my brother and I were trying to figure out what was going on in the episode, I used the fact that she activated the transporter as proof that she was there. The hallucination of Kolya helped John up did he not? So maybe they were slightly more substantial hallucinations? Kind of like in ST:TNG where the little girl makes an imaginary friend who is really an alien.

SerenaSerenity
November 15th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I agree with SerenaSerenity. I don't think the AI had the capability to make anyone do anything they weren't willing to do. Thus the hallucinations. And as to why not use the expedition like puppets? Maybe because it wasn't the right thing to do.

I think that too. Maybe they aren't an evil race out to force people to do things they don't wanna do. If that were the case, they probably could have gotten away with a whole lot more. lol

When my brother and I were trying to figure out what was going on in the episode, I used the fact that she activated the transporter as proof that she was there. The hallucination of Kolya helped John up did he not? So maybe they were slightly more substantial hallucinations? Kind of like in ST:TNG where the little girl makes an imaginary friend who is really an alien.

Maybe, that's a good theory too.

He might have also pulled himself up thinking the A.I. was helping him up too by hallucination. It's really hard to know. lol

But I do like that theory too. *smiles and nods*

ablevins425
November 15th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I think Woolsey probably hit the button but since the scene was showing his hallucination, we see her hit it. If that makes any sense.

Originally Posted by Amalthea

I don't think Kolya helped him up. I know that he specifically told John to use his other hand, that it was there, but I do not believe there was physical contact.

TragicComedy
November 15th, 2008, 08:26 PM

I don't think Kolya helped him up the cliff at all but then again, Kolya was beating the crap out of John and John felt that but it was all in his head. I mean John thought his hand was chopped off! Just shows that the mind can play some crazy tricks on you.

nx01a
November 15th, 2008, 09:10 PM
In the control room scene with Rodney and Zelenka, Radek doesn't speak. Rodney, as usual, does all the talking to Chuck and Amelia. It was well done, we never knew that Radek wasn't really there. It's sad that same attention to detail didn't extend to using the transporter... That's probably a goof like the lack of gate shielding last time.

FallenAngelII
November 16th, 2008, 07:51 AM
But John fell off a cliff by being "pushed". Did he want to do that? So the episode was a bit inconsistent here. Can the A.I. control people like puppets by influence all of the sense, making them think they're doing things they're not really doing or not?

Nemises
November 16th, 2008, 11:53 AM
But John fell off a cliff by being "pushed". Did he want to do that? So the episode was a bit inconsistent here. Can the A.I. control people like puppets by influence all of the sense, making them think they're doing things they're not really doing or not?

i asked the same in my thread.

one cannot push himself and why would sheppard want to fall of the cliff ? i think he wanted to get to the pj and warn altantis :mckay:

Colonel Sharp
November 16th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I don't know if you've ever seen Fight Club but maybe it was like that. Hallucinations can make it appear that someone else is doing something when its actually you who did it.

Exactly what I was thinking. :D

Mitchell82
November 16th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. :D

Same here.

TragicComedy
November 16th, 2008, 12:34 PM
i asked the same in my thread.

one cannot push himself and why would sheppard want to fall of the cliff ? i think he wanted to get to the pj and warn altantis :mckay:

Why would John want someone to beat the crap out of him? Why is John always so reckless? As the AI told John, he was torturing himself because that's what he thinks he deserves. John considers himself a failure.

FallenAngelII
November 16th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Why would John want someone to beat the crap out of him? Why is John always so reckless? As the AI told John, he was torturing himself because that's what he thinks he deserves. John considers himself a failure.
So basically, John Sheppard is suicidal?

TragicComedy
November 16th, 2008, 01:33 PM

It could sort of be looked at that way. I wouldn't call it that. More reckless. Hey, they said it. Not me.

jenks
November 16th, 2008, 01:33 PM

...no.

SerenaSerenity
November 16th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I don't think John is suicidal. It was kinda a go with the flow thing. He was fighting, and his mind had the hallucination and it was made real enough for him to think this was actually going on. So to him, he was pushed. And the fact that John was about to fall off the said cliff, the A.I. stopped playing the game. Because it didn't want John to die. Just, when fighting, one doesn't truely think of what's going on around them. Hell, John and the A.I. could've had no clue that the cliff was even there. And that was how he ended up pushed/throwing himself off of it. Not like he had a map and knew exactly where he was going. He was trying to survive.

It was just more on the lines of showing us how much John really tortures himself. Because we see the pain on his face, but then it's gone and he seems to move on. We never get to see the inner workings of his mind in this manner. This just fleshed it out for us and made it real. Showing us that, he didn't move on as well as we all thought that he did.

But this is just my opinion. I'm just explaining it better. To each their own and I don't mind all your views. It gets me thinking and I enjoy it. *smiles* So, I don't mind if you think I'm wrong. I don't think anyone's opinion is wrong, just that we disagree and that's okay by me. *nod nod*

TragicComedy
November 16th, 2008, 03:23 PM
I don't think John is suicidal. It was kinda a go with the flow thing. He was fighting, and his mind had the hallucination and it was made real enough for him to think this was actually going on. So to him, he was pushed. And the fact that John was about to fall off the said cliff, the A.I. stopped playing the game. Because it didn't want John to die. Just, when fighting, one doesn't truely think of what's going on around them. Hell, John and the A.I. could've had no clue that the cliff was even there. And that was how he ended up pushed/throwing himself off of it. Not like he had a map and knew exactly where he was going. He was trying to survive.

It was just more on the lines of showing us how much John really tortures himself. Because we see the pain on his face, but then it's gone and he seems to move on. We never get to see the inner workings of his mind in this manner. This just fleshed it out for us and made it real. Showing us that, he didn't move on as well as we all thought that he did.

But this is just my opinion. I'm just explaining it better. To each their own and I don't mind all your views. It gets me thinking and I enjoy it. *smiles* So, I don't mind if you think I'm wrong. I don't think anyone's opinion is wrong, just that we disagree and that's okay by me. *nod nod*

Well I personally think you did a fantastic job explaining it. :D

auror
November 16th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Perhaps the ai hacked into the transporter system and made it look like it?

Ranlier
November 16th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Occam's Razor:

Woolsey succeeded in clumsily hitting the right button, and the "hallucination" included convincing him he missed repeatedly.

Lt.Con
November 16th, 2008, 09:24 PM
This is sort of the same scenario with Shepard throwing himself over the edge of the cliff, because that woosley was hallucinating anything is possible. He could have done it himself but to him his hands were full.

Bobby
November 17th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Thanks for your insights the Fightclub thing explains it I have seen that movie...It's a good movie too.

TragicComedy
November 17th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks for your insights the Fightclub thing explains it I have seen that movie...It's a good movie too.

One of my faves :)

SerenaSerenity
November 17th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Well I personally think you did a fantastic job explaining it. :D

*smiles* Thanks.

One of my faves :)

It's a very good movie. I enjoyed it.*nods and smiles*