Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rodney's Version of Zelenka

Spoiler:
    So, I laughed out loud at the end when it turned out that the AI had chosen to appear to Rodney as Zelenka. It hit me that Rodney was actually having these meaningful conversations, not with Zelenka, but with himself. This was especially poignant after "Kolya" had explained to John that John had actually created most of the scenario he had just experienced on his own--he had created his worst fear.

So what does this tell us about Rodney's friendship/acquaintance-ship with Radek? Probably lots, but I think that this line by "Radek" says a lot:

"Maybe they will name something after *me* for once."

Even though the line acted to spur Rodney to actually run the test (which "Radek" couldn't have done on his own), it speaks to the fact that Rodney feels, perhaps, slightly guilty that he gets all the credit, while a brilliant scholar like Zelenka is left in the margins.

Of course, "Radek's" statement, and the ensuing conversation, about Rodney's brilliance is also telling.

PS - I hope I read that last scene right. They never came right out and verified that they weren't pulling Rodney's leg about the fact that Radek was off-Atlantis. There was just a series of looks and Rodney's "son of a..." that made me believe them. (But I'm gullible.)

Originally posted by musicahumana View Post
    Spoiler:
    So, I laughed out loud at the end when it turned out that the AI had chosen to appear to Rodney as Zelenka. It hit me that Rodney was actually having these meaningful conversations, not with Zelenka, but with himself. This was especially poignant after "Kolya" had explained to John that John had actually created most of the scenario he had just experienced on his own--he had created his worst fear.

So what does this tell us about Rodney's friendship/acquaintance-ship with Radek? Probably lots, but I think that this line by "Radek" says a lot:

"Maybe they will name something after *me* for once."

Even though the line acted to spur Rodney to actually run the test (which "Radek" couldn't have done on his own), it speaks to the fact that Rodney feels, perhaps, slightly guilty that he gets all the credit, while a brilliant scholar like Zelenka is left in the margins.

Of course, "Radek's" statement, and the ensuing conversation, about Rodney's brilliance is also telling.

PS - I hope I read that last scene right. They never came right out and verified that they weren't pulling Rodney's leg about the fact that Radek was off-Atlantis. There was just a series of looks and Rodney's "son of a..." that made me believe them. (But I'm gullible.)
    Spoiler:
    That is a really good theory. Mine was that Rodney actually feels threatened by Zelenka's genius. He's worried that someone might be as smart as he is. But I've always seen Rodney as insecure, even if his ego comes into play a lot. I think he's just afraid that it might not be true and that's why he takes every compliment to heart and it gives him a boost. I don't know if I'm making much sense with this, but yeah. It was hard to explain. lol
    sigpic

Comment

If you pay attention, Zelenka never interacted with anyone and no one ever looked at him. When Zelenka and Rodney talked there was no one around to say that Mckay was crazy save one time. When Mckay started the scan to find the Machine in the water that lady person looked at Mckay kind off funny when he mentioned that they wont find anything.

Why does this remind me of the Sixth Sense?
      By Nolamom
      sigpic

Comment

I actually had a suspicion it might be an hallucination, Zelenka kept prodding Rodney about the Data.
        "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
          I actually had a suspicion it might be an hallucination, Zelenka kept prodding Rodney about the Data.
          Yeah, I felt that it was odd for Zelenka to have such a one-track mind, and that he kept trying to steer Rodney away from focusing on the radiation. I didn't realize he was a hallucination until the end, though.
          What's life? Life's easy. A quirk of matter. Nature's way of keeping meat fresh.
          --Ninth Doctor

Comment

Wasnt Mckay talking to Zelenka in the control room with many people around him. Why didnt somebody say something instead of letting him look like and idiot.
            If i was in there position I probably would have let him just go on.

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
              IWhy does this remind me of the Sixth Sense?
              Rodney [about Zelenka]> "I see dead live people !"
              Last edited by SoulReaver; 15 November 2008, 04:51 PM.

Comment

One of them were dead, another didn't exist.
                "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
                  One of them were dead, another didn't exist.
                  True, John's hallucination was indeed dead. Woolsey's hallucination didn't exist. But the one Rodney saw was indeed still alive, just offworld at the time. *nod nod*

Rodney: I saw a living person.
                  John: Oh yeah, I saw dead people.
                  Woolsey: Yes, it would seem so. While I saw someone who didn't exist and asked her to dinner.
                  *awkward moment of silence*
                  John: Yeah....
                  Rodney: I got some.... work to do. *turns to walk off, turns back* You asked her to dinner?
                  John: Weird....

Okay, so I'm odd. lol Probably not as accurate as some other people. I'm not the best at stuff like this. But yeah, it was still fun. =P LOL
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The_DrRodneyMckay View Post
                    Wasnt Mckay talking to Zelenka in the control room with many people around him. Why didnt somebody say something instead of letting him look like and idiot.
                    If i was in there position I probably would have let him just go on.
                    My guess is that it is probably not all that unusual for McKay or other scientists to talk outloud like that, sometimes when the throught process is happening it is not all that unusal to say things outloud.

I actually started laughing with the conversation where Zelenka called McKay brilliant...just the way Radek said brilliant, in a very gentle and kind way and the fact he didn't get all ruffled with Mckay's reaction... I started laughing and thinking okay, Zelenka is playing McKay...what is it he really wants....since they tend to have a bit of a competitive relationship at times, I thought it might have been a friendly competition type thing between them...didn't think it was an imaginary Zelenka.
                    sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
                      My guess is that it is probably not all that unusual for McKay or other scientists to talk outloud like that, sometimes when the throught process is happening it is not all that unusal to say things outloud.

I actually started laughing with the conversation where Zelenka called McKay brilliant...just the way Radek said brilliant, in a very gentle and kind way and the fact he didn't get all ruffled with Mckay's reaction... I started laughing and thinking okay, Zelenka is playing McKay...what is it he really wants....since they tend to have a bit of a competitive relationship at times, I thought it might have been a friendly competition type thing between them...didn't think it was an imaginary Zelenka.
                      lol You had the same thought I did when I watched it. I never once thought it was an imaginary Zelenka.
                      sigpic

Comment

"competition" ?
                        there is no competition, never was
                        sure, Zee is brilliant - as McKay's #2. that's all there is to it
                        Last edited by SoulReaver; 15 November 2008, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
                          "competition" ?
                          there is no competition, never was
                          sure, Zee is brilliant - as McKay's #2. that's all there is to it ^__^
                          Oh brother, not again!
                          sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
                            Oh brother, not again!
                            I knew that'd tick you off

Comment

So Rodney's conception of Radek is a man who needs an intelligence equal his own to work with in order to achieve miracles, a person in need of approval from his "superior," and who can only compliment people when they're about to die.

There's a word for that.

Projection.

DragonLady
                              "I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then, and I am not saying anything now." -- Delenn

Comment

Working...
                              X