PDA

View Full Version : The Sakari.

RepliVeggie
November 15th, 2008, 12:01 AM
So second most advanced civilization ever probably was just unveiled. Prior to tonight's episode the Asgard are the second most but they were only around for 100k years. The Sakari were around for millions. I am very very interested in learning more about these people.

What do you guys think?

g.o.d
November 15th, 2008, 12:04 AM
well, they might be the first sentient race in the PG, even older than the Alterans in the PG

fumblesmcstupid
November 15th, 2008, 12:04 AM
It would be NEAT :).

Bobby
November 15th, 2008, 12:50 AM
yes it will be pretty bad if they were a one hit wonder like the furlings.

SerenaSerenity
November 15th, 2008, 01:33 AM
I think that would depend on The Powers That Be on wether or not they succeed in getting their population up and running. I mean, it could take a very long time to do so, who knows? I mean, I think there should be more about them though. I would love to see that and I hope they do follow through with something. But I will wait and see and cross my fingers.

Woden
November 15th, 2008, 03:23 AM
I hope these guys aren't just a "single show" race(like furlings). Altough they are very old as a race they aren't so advance as the ancients/ori, they still have a material body.

Giantevilhead
November 15th, 2008, 05:02 AM
The Asgard have a history of 100,000 years. The Sakari evolved over millions of years. That's a big difference.

Also, the fact that they used those crappy little pods to resurrect their species instead of ships means that they're probably not that advanced.

FallenAngelII
November 15th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Where did you guys get this number of 100.000 years from?

Giantevilhead
November 15th, 2008, 05:39 AM
The Asgard in "The Lost Tribe" said that they have 100,000 years of history.

knowles2
November 15th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Lost tribe it clearly stated that the Asgard has 100,000 thousand years of recorded history.

The Sakari are indeed a mysterious race. I suspect they would have to be incredible advance beyond even the Asgard for the IOA and Rodney to be excited about trying to keep the knowledge. In fact they probably even more advance than what they made out to be because surly the AI would of hid their true technological capabilities. In fact considering we have both the Asgard and the Ancient database it would have to contain some knowledge which rival both.

But with the series ending I doubt we will see them in he future. Through their always a possibilities that the probe could speed up their evolution but I doubt it.

Through again the writers are really trying to make the Pegasus galaxy a more diverse galaxy it just a shame they did not start doing this in season1 when they could of started following up on these stories.

I wonder if the ancients knew them and how the two cultures related to one and other. I think the Sakari probably were not interested in space flight or exploration. What happen to their planet. Which would explain how they built such an advance probe design to last for million of years and still get knot of course and crash land. It would of been so cool if at the end if they had a short story explaining their culture and we sure views of their home world.

Their was one big problem I had with the story was why could not the AI seed the planet with the biological components and then send the Apollo a transmission relaying all the technological data. Plus surly she must of found our about the wraith and so wanting to strut up some sought peace treaty to provide protection for her new race.

MechaThor
November 15th, 2008, 05:44 AM
So what did these new guys look like? I hope they looked truly alien.

Its a same Atlantis is finally getting some much needed alien life, and the shows gone and been canceled. Maybe they can reappear in a future film or something as an ally?

FallenAngelII
November 15th, 2008, 05:45 AM
So what did these new guys look like? I hope they looked truly alien.

Its a same Atlantis is finally getting some much needed alien life, and the shows gone and been canceled. Maybe they can reappear in a future film or something as an ally?
Truly alien.

MechaThor
November 15th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Truly alien.

Cool has anyone got a picture, drawing or description?

I have not seen this Episode yet, but the second I heard a new race has shown up I just decided to ignore all the spoilers and find out anyways.

So not including the return of the Asgard this is the second new alien race this series! Possibly more if you count have Replicator Weir said about all the computers and technology she has been in...

knowles2
November 15th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Daedalus Variations Aliens
The mist aliens

but yeah it nice to get new aliens.

FallenAngelII
November 15th, 2008, 06:19 AM
Daedalus Variations Aliens
They were very, very humanoid, though.

Here's a picture of a Sakari (or, rather, the A.I. taking the form of a Sakari):
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7467/sakarirt2.jpg

SGFerrit
November 15th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Another from the Stargate Wikia:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/stargate/images/3/3c/Sakari01.jpg

Very cool new race, shame they were probably a one off, would have been cool to see a glimpse/flash-back type of thing of their civilization at it's height. I liked Vanessa Conrad too, Woolsey's very own Head Six:D

I'm happy they chose to send to pod to a suitable planet, even if the race never evolves to an advanced state again at least the Expedition didn't condemn them for their own greed.

FallenAngelII
November 15th, 2008, 06:52 AM
There are probably not going to be featured again. After all, it looks like pure CG, which is expensive.

MechaThor
November 15th, 2008, 07:13 AM
They look rather cool, Kinda like a Zombie Asgard made of Metal.

Infact their skin is very shiny and metal like, Makes me wonder if they can survive bullets and energy blasts without then need for armored protection, despite there "weak" appearance. That might even explain why he/she was not wearing any cloths, lol.

Sadly its most likely a one time race, as their second Evolution will takes thousands if not millions of years. Unless we have a time travel story or their evolution is speed up. Infact we should have used the Asgard core to build a time dilation device like the replicators did and use it to allow the Sakari to evolve in a much faster span of time (when viewed from the outside).

SGFerrit
November 15th, 2008, 07:18 AM

Infact their skin is very shiny and metal like, Makes me wonder if they can survive bullets and energy blasts without then need for armored protection, despite there "weak" appearance. That might even explain why he/she was not wearing any cloths, lol.

Sadly its most likely a one time race, as their second Evolution will takes thousands if not millions of years. Unless we have a time travel story or their evolution is speed up. Infact we should have used the Asgard core to build a time dilation device like the replicators did and use it to allow the Sakari to evolve in a much faster span of time (when viewed from the outside).

That's a fantastic idea actually. It would give them a much greater chance of thriving as they would not be disturbed. But didn't it take the Odyssey a ZPM to do that though?

SGFerrit
November 15th, 2008, 07:19 AM
There are probably not going to be featured again. After all, it looks like pure CG, which is expensive.

Agreed, it is a shame though.

FallenAngelII
November 15th, 2008, 07:19 AM
The Sakari are silicon-based species. It's not metal, it's metalloid (an intermediate between metal and non-metal).

rsanchez
November 15th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Is that really what they looked like? I think they look eerily similar to the alienish robots in the movie A.I. I personally thought it was the writers making a joke, either because they wanted to or because they thought that's what Rodney thought as soon as he heard the words AI.
I think the revelation of the AI really goes to show how truly young we, and all the adversaries we have been facing, are. We faced the Goa'uld and the Wraith, yet both races are mere children when compared even with the Asgard, who themselves are only children compared with the Ancients and the Sakari. I really would have loved to see the history of the universe play itself out in the series, and to see a new human civilization grappling with the struggles of becoming galactic and learning from all civilizations that came before.
The Ancients may have known the Sakari, but we can't know for sure. Both races are millions of years old and both races settled in Pegasus. We know the Ancients were not native to Pegasus, but maybe the Sakari were the natives there. It would be nice to know more about them. Maybe the Sakari are in the Atlantis database, who knows.
What I really liked about this episode is that it really put things into perspective. At the end, I remembered a few things we learned from alien races. Number one was what the Nox told us when we first met them, "The very young do not always do as they are told." That and the age of the Sakari really brought home how young we are and how recently we arrived on the galactic/universal scene. Then I also remembered the Asgard. First, in Abyss I remembered when Daniel told O'neill that the Asgard really respected us for much more than "a cool-sounding name." The Asgard saw our potential, and eventually regarded us as equals in Unending. The Sakari AI also saw our potential, and tapped into that potential for compassion and intelligence to save itself. I don't know about you guys, but I thought this episode was deep, with "fifth race" and "meaning of life" stuff.

SerenaSerenity
November 15th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I hope these guys aren't just a "single show" race(like furlings). Altough they are very old as a race they aren't so advance as the ancients/ori, they still have a material body.

Well, in my opinion, I'm not so sure. I mean acension seems to only happen to humans and human like life forms. The Asgard couldn't acend because of the experiments and such they had done to themselves over the years to live longer and the cloning. All that good stuff. I doubt the Wraith can acend. There was also the mist like beings. Maybe being silicone life forms, they have a different form of evolution then we do. In my own opinion of course. Nothing against what anyone else thinks, this is just what I think. I mean, the knowledge acended beings have no human can handle in their brains. Maybe though, they have evolved in their own fashion to have such knowledge in their own way. Everything evolves differently, so who really knows until we know more about the said race.

Edit: Even the replicators tried to achieve ascension by trying to become more human. Some of them if memory serves me correctly, but still couldn't achieve it. Maybe I'm just odd. lol I have a tendancy to over think things. lol

The Asgard have a history of 100,000 years. The Sakari evolved over millions of years. That's a big difference.

Also, the fact that they used those crappy little pods to resurrect their species instead of ships means that they're probably not that advanced.

Well, maybe that pod has more use. Or maybe they felt it was a waste for them to use a ship when they could fit it into a more inconspicious thing. And it may even have the technology to accelerate the process of their evolution to be back to where it was. Maybe not right away, but also no where near as long as it would normally take. Just my opinion of course, nothing against yours. *smiles* To each their own.

Their was one big problem I had with the story was why could not the AI seed the planet with the biological components and then send the Apollo a transmission relaying all the technological data. Plus surly she must of found our about the wraith and so wanting to strut up some sought peace treaty to provide protection for her new race.

Maybe, like the Asguard once believed, that these life forms aren't ready for their technology just yet. I mean, there might be a various amount of reasons as to why it would happen that way. Just my opinion of course. *smiles and nods*

jds1982
November 15th, 2008, 09:29 AM
They were pretty much the Gadmeer, without the planet burning ship.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
November 15th, 2008, 09:54 AM
We won't see them again, they will take millions of years to evolve. They're basically SGA's version of the Gadmeer, and we never saw them again.

Anon
November 15th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I am wondering if silicon based life is possible. It's less minuaplitable than carbon, not easily changed, and not all that sturdy. Please post any ideas of how this is possible on my profile.

-Gavatarman

wise one
November 15th, 2008, 10:45 AM

who knows maybe the sakari have their own time device in that device mckay found, they are millions of years old and advance enough

Fjord
November 15th, 2008, 11:31 AM
who knows maybe the sakari have their own time device in that device mckay found, they are millions of years old and advance enough

I agree. That little pod could have lots of condensed super advanced technology. I think the fact that their silicon may speed up their evolution....maybe we'll see them in a future movie or something. It's also possible they might be mentioned in Universe...

MechaThor
November 15th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Well, in my opinion, I'm not so sure. I mean acension seems to only happen to humans and human like life forms. The Asgard couldn't acend because of the experiments and such they had done to themselves over the years to live longer and the cloning. All that good stuff. I doubt the Wraith can acend. There was also the mist like beings. Maybe being silicone life forms, they have a different form of evolution then we do. In my own opinion of course. Nothing against what anyone else thinks, this is just what I think. I mean, the knowledge acended beings have no human can handle in their brains. Maybe though, they have evolved in their own fashion to have such knowledge in their own way. Everything evolves differently, so who really knows until we know more about the said race.

Not Really, That shadow Creature was a naturally ascended (or near ascended) life form. Also the Goa'uld can ascend, sure Anubis got some help from Oma, but I am sure thats because he was in a rush to do so and had not trained and prepared himself for the task.

I could well be that silicon based life forms cannot ascend, but it might also be that they have their own version of it. Or that the Sakari did not study and practice ascension like the Ancients did, it might not have been part of their culture.

From the little we saw from the Sakari, it seemed that rather than looking into enlightenment or cloning, they had a culture based around the rules and ideas of natural Evolution. Therefore they might have viewed the Ancients rush into ascension as the incorrect way of doing it. Maybe for them they would rather actually slowly and naturally evolve into energy beings than study and use science and knowledge to get there instead?

Shpinxinator
November 15th, 2008, 12:51 PM
they do somewhat look like Ancient Asgard don't they?

Infinite-Possibilities
November 15th, 2008, 12:55 PM
The Asgard were said to have a hundred millenia o recorded history, compared to humans who have less than 1 tenth of that. We do however have what? 200,000 years of prehistoric history? We don't know exactly how long the Asgard existed in total.

In this species case, I don't expect we shall be seeing them again. Primarily because aren't they all dead. Maybe if we run into the AI again by wander into the planet that went sent them to to seed. He/she seemed nice.

RepliVeggie
November 15th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I think they Sakarai came from a distant galaxy. As all 51? Pods didn't reach their course. I think they were sent out to different galaxys from far off. Which makes me hope we see them in Universe in some way. After all the AI may not know of another pod receiving help in a different galaxy.

Celesto
November 15th, 2008, 01:00 PM

i think they are. but would be cool to see them in the movie.

Womble
November 15th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Oh great. A race of skeletons. How original.

If they were around for millions of years, it doesn't mean they are very advanced. They could have been stagnating for much of that time, they could have gone through a few Armageddons and lose much of their knowledge, they could have been dead and stuffed into those pods for the better part of those millions of years.

And may I just say that for an advanced race, space colonization via pods is a very dumb idea even as an emergency measure. If they had hyperdrives, they could have found suitable planets much faster using hyperspace-capable ships. If not, there's always stasis ships, cryonic ships, generational ships... notice the pattern yet?

knowles2
November 15th, 2008, 02:51 PM
As I said in previouse post, they must of been incredible advance as we already have to mnassive database that we have barely began to scratch the surface fo and we taking interest in this littile probe database does not makes sense unless it contain stuff that Ancient or Asgard. It would be good if we found out these guys were at least equal to Ancients or even exceed their capabilities it would balance out the universe a bit.

Plus the probe itself suggest that they were a hugely advance race this one small probe contain power source to operate for millions of years, able to travel at a higher percentage of c or hyperdrive which made this probe the smallest we have ever seen before achieving that, and far smaller than either the Asgard or Ancients have been seen to build. A database large enough to impress Rodney. The above does suggest that they built a power source equivalent to a ZPM, which would again exceeds what we have seen the ancient or the Asgard do.

And as common saying goes never judge by size. The object clearly must of use a highly evolve form of wraith type transporter, which the wraith version was the size of the probe. Reason I say this is because it would explain how the biolgical sample would be destroyed if Rodney could not tell where the biological data begun and knowledge data began. Could be a safe guard to prevent extraction of database.

And I also pointed out may be they just was not interested in exploring the galaxy or may their religion tied them to the fate of their home planet they live with the planet so we die with the planet (I actually like that idea, sound like something they would used in Babylon 5). May be their was not any other way to save their race other than recreating it on a other planet, some sought of disease. Their could dozen of reason those probes fail the Wraith shooting them down. Natural occurring anomalies or may just a general design flaw. And dozen of reasons they did not use alternatives.

Sim
November 15th, 2008, 04:01 PM
I am afraid that the Sakari will become a one episode wonder with good reason.

They kinda have to evolve from the very beginning, I don't think that seeding a planet would only take "a season" to reach the point where they can interact with the Tauri in any capacity.

SerenaSerenity
November 15th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Not Really, That shadow Creature was a naturally ascended (or near ascended) life form. Also the Goa'uld can ascend, sure Anubis got some help from Oma, but I am sure thats because he was in a rush to do so and had not trained and prepared himself for the task.

I could well be that silicon based life forms cannot ascend, but it might also be that they have their own version of it. Or that the Sakari did not study and practice ascension like the Ancients did, it might not have been part of their culture.

From the little we saw from the Sakari, it seemed that rather than looking into enlightenment or cloning, they had a culture based around the rules and ideas of natural Evolution. Therefore they might have viewed the Ancients rush into ascension as the incorrect way of doing it. Maybe for them they would rather actually slowly and naturally evolve into energy beings than study and use science and knowledge to get there instead?

I know Anubis ascended, with Oma's help. But what I gathered from it, the human form can ascend and if it has a Goa'uld inside, maybe that doesn't make a difference. Maybe, even hosted they can still ascend. Which was why I had said human like life forms. lol I mean, if Ba'al was strong enough to take over Adria's mind, then maybe it is possible for them to ascend using that method. I mean the replicators tried to get to ascension, but no matter how human they looked and seemed, they just couldn't reach that goal. But say, if they had been able to fully take over an actual human host, they might have just achieved it.

Okay, I'm sorry. I'm over thinking again. LOL Again, sorry. I do tend to do that a lot.

Giantevilhead
November 15th, 2008, 04:15 PM
The AI said that the Sakari evolved over millions of years, that does not mean their civilization is millions of years old. Humans evolved over millions of years too but we've only had civilization for a fraction of that time.

Also, the Asgard said that they have 100,000 years of history, not 100,000 years of written history. That means he may have also included time periods before writing was invented, all the way back to cave paintings and rock tools.

SerenaSerenity
November 15th, 2008, 04:19 PM
The AI said that the Sakari evolved over millions of years, that does not mean their civilization is millions of years old. Humans evolved over millions of years too but we've only had civilization for a fraction of that time.

True, the technology seemed to really impress Rodney though. He seemed to really want the data in it to study. So it had to be worth something. Atleast, that's my opinion. *nods*

MOSHGUIN1113
November 15th, 2008, 04:46 PM
an advanced race to be sure but not the second most advanced. DEFINITELY NOT. Just because they've been around for millions of years doesn’t mean ****. Also definitely a once off, especially since it will take several millions of years until they gain sentience once again and another several hundred years to utilize the information stored within the device. A disappointing episode I thinks. Any speculation as to how they died off ?

SoulReaver
November 15th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Lost tribe it clearly stated that the Asgard has 100,000 thousand years of recorded history.

The Sakari are indeed a mysterious race. I suspect they would have to be incredible advance beyond even the Asgard for the IOA and Rodney to be excited about trying to keep the knowledge. In fact they probably even more advance than what they made out to be because surly the AI would of hid their true technological capabilities. In fact considering we have both the Asgard and the Ancient database it would have to contain some knowledge which rival both. doesn't mean anything. one can't assess the advancement of a race just by browsing through a database index. you'd have to actually acquire some of their tech first just to get an idea, and terrans are nowhere near understanding even that of the "least advanced" of SG races (such as the goauld. can terran science even recreate a simple goauld forcefield ?)

Rodney has no idea what that pod contained no more than he knows what the asgard core contains. all he knows are that the pod race is "highly advanced". so what. the asgard, the nox, the tollans, even the tokra & goauld also qualify as highly advanced

McKay's reaction was perfectly normal, his is simply "the more the merrier". this was a new race with new tech. different races each have their strongpoints. asgards were very good at shields & weapons but sux0red at medicine for instance. the goauld on the other hand had highly advanced medical tech (which they stole from the ancients, granted). etc.

his statement doesn't imply any kind of superiority of this new race over the other known ones

besides it's not like the terrans actually possess asgard tech. they can build & replicate it thanks to its built-in AI & step-by-step instructions but they still have no idea how any of it actually works (they still need the core)
kinda like a kid assembling a lego (also remember how those slaves in the ori galaxy were assembling all those uber-advanced ships ?)

edit> heck it took Sam 50 years just to figure out how to reverse time using an already existing time dilation device, even with help from holo-Thor. looks like that knowledge in the asgard core ain't as easy to "process" after all eh ?

it's clear that terrans will only learn to dispense with the asgard core in a distant future. Mckay probably saw in that pod an opportunity to acquire new tech quickly

SerenaSerenity
November 15th, 2008, 05:24 PM
edit> heck it took Sam 50 years just to figure out how to reverse time using an already existing time dilation device, even with help from holo-Thor. looks like that knowledge in the asgard core ain't as easy to "process" after all eh ?

Well, she did say that reversing time is different then slowing it down in a time dialation field. I mean, reversing time is even different then going back in time. Because there are memories erased and stuffs. In my own opinion anyhow. *smiles and nods* To each their own.

SoulReaver
November 15th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Well, she did say that reversing time is different then slowing it down in a time dialation field. I mean, reversing time is even different then going back in time. Because there are memories erased and stuffs. In my own opinion anyhow. *smiles and nods* To each their own.yeah but she still had the asgard time dilation device (not like she had to build one from scratch) as well as the core containing the entire asgard scientific knowledge database (including time manipulation tech) literally at her fingertips, plus an AI hologram supposed to guide her. yet despite all this and the fact that she's one of Earth's elite she still took half a century to come up with something

Giantevilhead
November 15th, 2008, 05:31 PM
The Asgard core can be used to teach people how Asgard technology works. It has all the instructions for how everything works and it can even create a hologram to explain it.

Also, we don't know how good Asgard medical technology is. We've only seen that the Asgard from an alternate universe can bring back the dead.

SoulReaver
November 15th, 2008, 05:36 PM
yeah but 10 to 1 it's gonna take aeons before terrans can actually understand any of it

we've also seen that the asgards couldn't even solve their genetic degeneration problem (worse, they bungled it to such an extent that they opted for mass suicide)

asgards from an alternate universe ??

Infinite-Possibilities
November 15th, 2008, 05:52 PM
From that season 3 episode of SG-1. Alternate universe Hammond was shot twice with a Zat then brought back to life by the Asgard. I imagine that the Asgard of the mainstream universe can do so too. I would have been feeling it was a major continuity flaw if they couldn't, seeing as the Goa'uld and the Ancients can.

YutheGreat
November 15th, 2008, 05:56 PM

Yes, they will probably be along with the Retuu, Foothold aliens etc. When they said silicon based lifeforms I thought are these the reps again anyway now I think. They are Transformers hehe. They are silicon base life forms

SoulReaver
November 15th, 2008, 05:57 PM
yeah but wasn't that aspect of the zat (1 shot stun, 2 shot kill, 3 shot *poof*) retconned long before s3 ?

besides the evil asgard were (a bit) better than the regular asgards with their genetic tech, not a stretch to say that the alternate asgards could have been better than the regular ones too (and perhaps not as good in other fields)

or for all we know the alternate asgards never encountered the replicators & had more time to devote to their research & exploration

SerenaSerenity
November 15th, 2008, 06:06 PM
yeah but she still had the asgard time dilation device (not like she had to build one from scratch) as well as the core containing the entire asgard scientific knowledge database (including time manipulation tech) literally at her fingertips, plus an AI hologram supposed to guide her. yet despite all this and the fact that she's one of Earth's elite she still took half a century to come up with something

True, buit everything she tried, the hologram would say that it wouldn't work. And then finally she shut it off. lol So, even with it, there wasn't to much help. Atleast with the whole time thing in my own personal opinion. *nods*

wkw427
November 15th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Seeing as how the ancients and asgard were carbon-based, and the sakari were silicon-based, that is something amazing in itself.

SoulReaver
November 15th, 2008, 06:16 PM
iirc there was an episode in Star Trek TOS where Kirk & co encountered a silicon-based species (they had to retune their handheld phazers to make 'em effective on those aliens). although they were intelligent enough to communicate with the humans they were still a primitive species

True, buit everything she tried, the hologram would say that it wouldn't work. And then finally she shut it off. lol So, even with it, there wasn't to much help. Atleast with the whole time thing in my own personal opinion. *nods*that's all we heard holo-Thor say, but he had more built-in lines than that (I hope http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/images/perso/skylight.gif)

SerenaSerenity
November 15th, 2008, 06:49 PM
iirc there was an episode in Star Trek TOS where Kirk & co encountered a silicon-based species (they had to retune their handheld phazers to make 'em effective on those aliens). although they were intelligent enough to communicate with the humans they were still a primitive species

True. Though in my own opinion, I don't think an unadvanced race could take their own genetic material, place it within 50 pods, and then send them out to try and revive their race. But I could indeed be wrong, has happened many times before. But that's how I see it.

that's all we heard holo-Thor say, but he had more built-in lines than that (I hope http://img.infos-du-net.com/forum/images/perso/skylight.gif)

I hope so too, but it is all we heard him say. He seemed to think none of the ideas would work. So it was probably harder on her hearing him constantly say that her ideas wouldn't work then trying to get it to work on her own. *nods* Atleast, it would be a downer for me to hear someone constantly telling me that my ideas weren't gonna work all the time.

SoulReaver
November 15th, 2008, 07:11 PM
True. Though in my own opinion, I don't think an unadvanced race could take their own genetic material, place it within 50 pods, and then send them out to try and revive their race. yeah but I also don't think a [very] highly advanced race would use pods to this end

Giantevilhead
November 15th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Sam was trying to make something new with holo-Thor. If she had asked holo-Thor to explain how existing Asgard technology works then it wouldn't have been so negative.

Also, the Asgard not being able to solve their genetic degradation does not mean their medical technology sucked. It's not like it was an easy problem to solve. They've been manipulating their DNA for at least 30,000 years and they wanted to keep all the positive qualities of those changes, a brain powerful enough to hold their "massively superior intellect," and get rid of all the negative side effects.

SerenaSerenity
November 15th, 2008, 07:35 PM
yeah but I also don't think a [very] highly advanced race would use pods to this end

Maybe. Hopefully someday we may be able to find out. lol Would be nice.

Alteran of Atlantis
November 15th, 2008, 07:40 PM
So second most advanced civilization ever probably was just unveiled. Prior to tonight's episode the Asgard are the second most but they were only around for 100k years. The Sakari were around for millions. I am very very interested in learning more about these people.

What do you guys think?

I think it would be cool to see them again, but I don't think we will. There are only five episodes left, and none are about them. But maybe in a movie? *hopes*

SoulReaver
November 15th, 2008, 07:47 PM
well when looking at [incomplete] specs of Merlin's gadget Sam said she couldn't "make heads or tails" of it (Kvasir on the other hand could figure out what the thing did). chances are Sam would've taken quite a time to figure out how asgard tech worked (though maybe not half a century since she had some help)
time-reversal may have been a new thing but it still used an existing asgard device & knowledge (it ain't like she had to build new hardware or modify existing hardware). it's just that this variant wasn't preprogrammed into the core (unlike the time-dilation procedure which the asgard had used before)
chances are Thor would've come up with the time-reverse thing in, uh, no time

like Baal said Sam may be part of Earth's elite, but on an interstellar scale that doesn't mean much (even less on an intergalactic scale)

also solving genetic probs may not be easy by our 21th century terran standards (our own folks in white gowns are only dabbling in gene therapy right now) but one could expect different standards from a race that has figured out how to travel between galaxies in minutes, collapse stars into black holes & manipulate time itself
btw I don't recall the asgards saying they'd been "manipulating their DNA" over the last millenia, iirc their one & only goal had been to prevent further genetic damage, not give their evolution a boost (they even had one of their older humanoid clones to work on, oddly enough no more news on Heimdall's work)

btw they didn't have big heads, just small bodies ^__^ (due to the degradations)

SoulReaver
November 15th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Maybe. Hopefully someday we may be able to find out. lol Would be nice.doubtful. the Gadmeer were never heard of again in SG1
and SGA series is drawing to its conclusion anyway

Major V1125
November 15th, 2008, 07:50 PM
indeed...XD

SerenaSerenity
November 15th, 2008, 08:37 PM
doubtful. the Gadmeer were never heard of again in SG1
and SGA series is drawing to its conclusion anyway

True, but there is always hope. lol But it's a slim chance more then likely. I know. They still have the movies. *nod nod* Yes, I know I'm an odd person. lol

Giantevilhead
November 15th, 2008, 08:39 PM
This is what Heimdall said about the 30,000 year old Asgard, "He is from a time before our program of genetic manipulation became irreversible." So the Asgard have been manipulating their DNA for at least 30,000 years.

nx01a
November 15th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Silicon-based humanoids... I'll pass, thanks. If that's the best visual they could come up with, then the race ain't worth it.

MechaThor
November 16th, 2008, 04:24 AM
I don't think they will be seen again, as I don't know what kind of role they would play in an future movies? Although it might be nice to get the odd line about them, like "well we will have to wait about another 5 hours till the Apollo returns, as its currently out checking on the status of the Sakari re-seeding"

Also out of all of the other one hit wonder Aliens I would love to see the Gadmeer again. I know there are many other stories an SG-1 movie can tell, but it would be nice to catch up on them to see if they finished the terraforming. Maybe we could see them at the start of an SG movie, or have to go to them to get some technological help? It would also be nice to see (well kinda see) the Re'tu again. Again maybe showing them at the start of an SG-1 movie with SG-1 battling some on another planet, before returning to the SGC and then getting briefed on the movies actual plot.

Silicon-based humanoids... I'll pass, thanks. If that's the best visual they could come up with, then the race ain't worth it.

True, they did look a little too Human and "traditional" aliens. Infact they just looked like Metal Zombie Asgard. I mean I am happy we finally saw a new Alien race, but they could have given it a bit more of an Alien appearance, after all they was using CGI. Maybe they could have gone for something insectoid and similar to the Re'tu only with Metaloid armored exoskeleton, or maybe some kind of human sized jellyfish like creature, or even just used that same GCI model as what we saw but give it an extra set of arms and a slightly less Asgard shaped head.

Platschu
November 16th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Accoding to JM's blog, the name of the race is : Sekkari. ;)

ha'tak_
November 16th, 2008, 10:29 AM
well i think they will never see them again just like they aliens in
"scarthed earth" in season 4 of sg-1

and was it just me or did they look kinda like the aliens in the episode
"fifth man" in season 5 of sg-1

gatechick
November 16th, 2008, 06:34 PM
well i think they will never see them again just like they aliens in
"scarthed earth" in season 4 of sg-1

and was it just me or did they look kinda like the aliens in the episode
"fifth man" in season 5 of sg-1

As soon as they showed the Sekkari, first thing I thought was Fifth man.

Shame they had to meet a cool new race, and it will probably be a one ht wonder. It would be great if they got be touched upon in the movie, but I doubt it.

airrick
November 17th, 2008, 03:19 AM
I know this is slightly off topic.. but in the episode "Scorched Earth" if I remember correctly, that race was freed from slavery and they found a world that worked for them.. since they would go blind without being in a specific atmosphere.. then a thought came to my head...

Would the Goauld lord even consider that when having them serve him/her and why would this lord pick a race with such a big detriment? I mean why would I pick a race that goes blind in most atmospheres when there are tons of humanoids out there without this problem to be my slaves? It doesnt make sense..

Back to THIS episode.. Its pretty cool to know another race was around doing things way before any of the races we have met so far.
We have seen some really cool alien races brought to us this season.. too bad I am sure a large percent of them we wont know much more about after it ends..

GateGipsy
November 17th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Now that's a really good point. Scorched Earth, incidentally, is my favourite episode. Although I have to admit it has been a while since I watched it. OK there are three points that I want to make on this subject.

1. I believe that there was something vague mentioned early on in the episode to do with the caves in which the Enkarens were sheltering. I think they were used by the Goa'uld for mining, and there was something to do with the caves that was like the conditions on the world that they came from. Therefore the Goa'uld took them because they were better suited to those conditions underground.

2. The above doesn't matter really. The Goa'uld simply don't care. They have the technology to overcome any issues like that, and anyway it doesn't matter to them really what happens to the slaves in the long term. They were probably just passing the Enkaren's home world at the time they decided they needed a large body of slaves. Purely random that the Enkarens were taken.

3. Again, the Goa'uld just don't care. They may have taken the Enkaren's as slaves for a project that involved conditions the same as their home world, and then changed their minds and went off and did something else. They're not going to care enough about slaves to return them to their planet, and the Enkarens were just lucky enough that the Goa'uld had the technology with them so that they simply didn't die at once as soon as they were on the new planet. They're probagbly lucky that the Goa'uld bothered to use any technology for them at all - most likely it came down to the System Lord not being able to be bothered to go out and find more slaves and simly telling his first prime or whoever to sort the problem out.

rsanchez
November 17th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Maybe the Sekkari were humanoid because that is the most efficient form for an intelligent being. The Goa'uld only became prominent after taking human hosts, the Ancients and Nox were human-like, the Wraith are human-aretes hybrids, the end form of replicators are always human, the Daedalus Variations aliens are humanoid, etc. I like to believe that more than they were on a tight budget.

MechaThor
November 17th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Maybe the Sekkari were humanoid because that is the most efficient form for an intelligent being. The Goa'uld only became prominent after taking human hosts, the Ancients and Nox were human-like, the Wraith are human-aretes hybrids, the end form of replicators are always human, the Daedalus Variations aliens are humanoid, etc. I like to believe that more than they were on a tight budget.

True being humanoid in shape is (as far as we know) the best form for intelligent life (two arms, thumbs, a head, two legs ect...), However looking like an actual Human would have nothing to do with it. Infact as Farscape pointed out many times Humans are pretty average at best, for the most part we are weak, fragile, have poor senses, no special abilities or natural defenses ect...

The Goa'uld actually became prominent after taking Unas hosts, and only switch to Humans latter in their history as we where easier to control and had slightly bigger brains, and where more able to use technologies (smaller and more useful hands ect...).

The Re'tu are a great example of a race which looked nothing like a Human (although they did share some humanoid characteristics, like an upright body structure and forward facing eyes) They were also purely CGI based and where made back in a time when CGI was not as advanced as it is today. So personally I am rather disappointed with the overall look of the Sakari. I liked their metallic bodies however, but apart from that they just looked too much like the aliens we have seen before (asgard, Re'ol), They could have come up with something so much better and original, especially since they where using CGI to create them in the first place.

SGAtlantisP60
November 20th, 2008, 04:43 AM
i want to know more about them... they should tell us more just like in Sg1 they never got around to telling bout the furlings.

airrick
November 20th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Now that's a really good point. Scorched Earth, incidentally, is my favourite episode. Although I have to admit it has been a while since I watched it. OK there are three points that I want to make on this subject.

1. I believe that there was something vague mentioned early on in the episode to do with the caves in which the Enkarens were sheltering. I think they were used by the Goa'uld for mining, and there was something to do with the caves that was like the conditions on the world that they came from. Therefore the Goa'uld took them because they were better suited to those conditions underground.

2. The above doesn't matter really. The Goa'uld simply don't care. They have the technology to overcome any issues like that, and anyway it doesn't matter to them really what happens to the slaves in the long term. They were probably just passing the Enkaren's home world at the time they decided they needed a large body of slaves. Purely random that the Enkarens were taken.

3. Again, the Goa'uld just don't care. They may have taken the Enkaren's as slaves for a project that involved conditions the same as their home world, and then changed their minds and went off and did something else. They're not going to care enough about slaves to return them to their planet, and the Enkarens were just lucky enough that the Goa'uld had the technology with them so that they simply didn't die at once as soon as they were on the new planet. They're probagbly lucky that the Goa'uld bothered to use any technology for them at all - most likely it came down to the System Lord not being able to be bothered to go out and find more slaves and simly telling his first prime or whoever to sort the problem out.

I will have to grab my box set and watch the episode again.. your 2nd and 3rd point so very true..

I suppose I was curious because regardless of how cruel they were, it would be like grabbing a guy with one arm to sweep the floor when tons of guys with 2 arms are standing around doing nothing..

ok.. going to box set now LOL

ha'tak_
November 20th, 2008, 01:05 PM
As soon as they showed the Sekkari, first thing I thought was Fifth man.

Shame they had to meet a cool new race, and it will probably be a one ht wonder. It would be great if they got be touched upon in the movie, but I doubt it.

i agree i dont think ther is much changed we wil see them again

GateGipsy
November 27th, 2008, 06:03 AM
I will have to grab my box set and watch the episode again.. your 2nd and 3rd point so very true..

I suppose I was curious because regardless of how cruel they were, it would be like grabbing a guy with one arm to sweep the floor when tons of guys with 2 arms are standing around doing nothing..

ok.. going to box set now LOL

Unnecessary cruelness? Hmmm it would take a particularly nasty, petty, vicious being who revels in cruelty and suffering. Now, I wonder who fits that description... :)

tricky
November 27th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I think it is unlikely you'll see these guys again. Evolution will take millions of years (unless the AI of the probe finds itself connected to McKay's copy of 'Spore'). Of course there's always the chance that a time travel (booo) episode might reintroduce them, or there could be Sekkari in stasis or maybe even a small colony of them living on some backwater world. I mean, the probe only knows what was going on up till the moment of it's launch, right?

I liked the 'Seeding Pod'; gotta admitt, putting everything about your race, as well as an instant Sekkari gene map in something the size of a dorm fridge is pretty cool. OH, and the power source that can run for millions of years? Oh, and a sentient AI? The Sekkari have got some stuff going on, all right?