PDA

View Full Version : Woolsey continues to Impress me!

Briangate78
November 14th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Samantha Who?

Yes, I've always loved Carter on SG-1, and she was not bad on SGA. I know a lot of folks were cautiously optimistic about having another commander for S5.

Woolsey has just been amazing this season and this episode is just another episode to make him shine. I think he has proven to be a great leader for SGA and he is not all about the rules and he does have a softer human side to him as well. They have developed Woolsey nicely over the course of this season, and this episode goes in with that list of good character development for Woolsey.

So in the end Woolsey has taken the bull by the horns and has been even better than his predecessor. Still, Weir is # 1 to me. But Woolsey is a close 2nd.

mellow yellow
November 14th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I agree. I'm really starting to like Woosley. He was great in the episode.

JeffKnight
November 14th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Yes, I loved this episode. It was truly a bonding episode for the team, although I do feel sorry for Rodney... Radek finally admits that he is brilliant, and it isn't even Radek...

but on the other hand, an advanced civilization's AI construct thought he was brilliant...

Ruffles
November 14th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I find Woolsey to be the best commander Atlantis has had.

*ducks the rotten fruit*

He's definitely the most interesting.

jelgate
November 14th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I agree Ruffles so let me know if anyone throws fruit at you and I'll get them

SerenaSerenity
November 14th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I have to agree. I love this episode. Woolsey was brilliant in it. From what I knew of him from before and what he is doing now, I never would've guessed to be honest. But I am impressed.

Alteran of Atlantis
November 14th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I was mad whe I first learned that Woolsey was going to be the new commander of Atlantis, but he's really gaining on me. I kind of like him as the leader. Not as much as Weir, but he's doing a pretty good job.

Mercury973
November 14th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Woosley is amazing! I love him. I was thrilled that he was taking over and everytime I see him, I do a Snoopy dance.

Browncoat1984
November 14th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Woolsey is great as commander of Atlantis. I had no doubts that Woolsey would do well on Atlantis simply due to the fact that Picardo is a great actor and always fun to watch on screen...I've always enjoyed him when he was on before this season.

I think that Woolsey is one of the best developed characters on Stargate and its really been interesting following his journey from way back in season 7 of SG-1 to now. I bet Picardo had no idea what was supposed to be a simple guest appearance would turn into this.

SerenaSerenity
November 15th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Woolsey is great as commander of Atlantis. I had no doubts that Woolsey would do well on Atlantis simply due to the fact that Picardo is a great actor and always fun to watch on screen...I've always enjoyed him when he was on before this season.

I think that Woolsey is one of the best developed characters on Stargate and its really been interesting following his journey from way back in season 7 of SG-1 to now. I bet Picardo had no idea what was supposed to be a simple guest appearance would turn into this.

I always enjoyed him too. To be honest, I've never actually hated a charactor. Because, in my own personal opinion, every charactor had it's place, no matter how small.

So, when he became the commander, I indeed thought it would turn out to be.... interesting. But I never expected this. I am thuroughly impressed by him. And Picardo is an awesome actor. I don't know if he expected it, but I'm very glad it went from guest to this. Just my opinion, nothing against anyone elses. To each their own. *smiles*

Nitegate
November 15th, 2008, 01:17 AM
i like Woolsey way better than Weir

Weir was BORING in my opinion

Beckmen
November 15th, 2008, 02:16 AM
I find Woolsey to be the best commander Atlantis has had.

*ducks the rotten fruit*

He's definitely the most interesting.

I agree. Weir was boring, and Carter was the wrong person for the job. When I first heard the news of Woolsey being Carter's replacement, I was happy. I knew it would make for an interesting turn of events, and it has. My only complaint is that he's been for the most part underused, and now the show is done for, so we won't be seeing much more of him. :(

vatazes
November 15th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Yeah, carter was the wrong person for the job. A lot of the times it felt disjointed when she was there. It was almost as if she didn't mesh with the others (at least till the begining of this season) and a lot of the interaction seemed forced. With Woosley, you get a feeling of an outsider, but through his actions he's showing he's becoming on e of the group. And he stays true to character and that character's position. Picardo is handling this all wonderfully! I was apprehensive at first when I learned it was Woolsey taking over and I thought, great, we're gonna have nothing but contention and arguments for the entire season! Thankfully I was proven worng. We've had a little, but a lot of it was needed to show his transtition from the way things are int he Milky Way to the way it is in Pegsus. I hope they don't forget about him in the movies.

rsanchez
November 15th, 2008, 07:17 AM
but on the other hand, an advanced civilization's AI construct thought he was brilliant...
That AI would do and say anything to save its ass.

Orion Antreas
November 15th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Samantha Who?

Yes, I've always loved Carter on SG-1, and she was not bad on SGA. I know a lot of folks were cautiously optimistic about having another commander for S5.

Woolsey has just been amazing this season and this episode is just another episode to make him shine. I think he has proven to be a great leader for SGA and he is not all about the rules and he does have a softer human side to him as well. They have developed Woolsey nicely over the course of this season, and this episode goes in with that list of good character development for Woolsey.

So in the end Woolsey has taken the bull by the horns and has been even better than his predecessor. Still, Weir is # 1 to me. But Woolsey is a close 2nd.

Perfectly said. He is a great character now. I liked after watching his character over the years and see him develop from season 7 SG-1. Again, perfectly said.

SerenaSerenity
November 15th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Well, the A.I. was more then likely feeding off of Rodney's ego as well as his own insecurities. Like saying that something not be named after him. lol But really, it seemed to be trying to help against his own insecurities with it's words. So he would find the pod and that kinda thing. Really helping him along the way.

And it helped push Woolsey to try to fight against the I.O.A. decision which he normally would've just accepted. And do probably what he said they thought he would do, roll over for them.

And if it was only worried about it's own survival, it wouldn't have cared if Sheppard fell to his death. So, I think it cared more then anyone thinks. All of this, of course, is my own opinion. lol But I don't think it was just out to lie about anything else other then what it's purpose was right off. After all, it just wanted to see what these people were made of and if they could truely be trusted. And hopefully help it achieve it's goal.

And there I go over thinking things again. lol

Infinite-Possibilities
November 15th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I've said it before, but Woolsey is a much better fit than Carter for head of Atlantis. She was fine but I felt they were really more coasting along with her in charge. Weir? Not so much. I don't think he'll ever have the connection to the team that Elizabeth had but what he has done is create a role that is genuinely his own that succeeds her position at least quite well.

talyn2k1
November 15th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Woolsey beats Weir hands down as best Atlantis commander.

Sam was a good commander, but by making her the boss PTB put themselves in a bit of a predicament. If they put her in too many episodes then her knowledge and experience threatened to take over which limited them to shoehorning her into an episode in ways that never felt quite right.

Weir, well I didn't have a good word to say about Weir before Woolsey came in. Now, he makes her look even worse.

I was never overly negative about Woolsey coming to Atlantis, but I was never sure quite where he would fit in. I loved RP as The Doctor in Voyager and in his various other appearances as Woolsey, but I was left worrying that he would be forced into the show in the same way Sam was.

Now I don't think there is a better commander for Atlantis. He has the perfect mix of humanity, leadership, and a certain lack of knowledge that allows for those awkward exposition scenes, that made Hammond, O'Neill and Landry such good base commanders.

If I could go back in time I'd have Woolsey in it from the beginning.

Nylon
November 15th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Ha Woolsey has his own capria 6. Originally I prefered weir but woolsey is growing on me.

ablevins425
November 15th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I think Woolsey has been fantastic. I thought is character has been slow developing but that last few weeks has been really great!

Dalario
November 15th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Ha Woolsey has his own capria 6.

Haha, I've been thinking that too :)

Briangate78
November 15th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I wish now Woolsey came in the begginning of Season 4! We could of had even more development from this character.

poisonivy
November 15th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Heís an improvement from Carter, thatís for sure. But he always seemed more of a comical character than an authority figure to me, and seeing him in a romantic situation gives me the creeps

fumblesmcstupid
November 15th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I'm confused! Was Woolsey replaced or not? No DVR to re-watch!

Starsaber
November 15th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I'm confused! Was Woolsey replaced or not? No DVR to re-watch!

No. The AI made the representative think her contact had decided not to follow through on his end of their bargain, so she decided to give Woolsey a glowing report to get back at her contact.

Lt.Con
November 15th, 2008, 10:56 PM
I think i like him more than Weir but only because he brings the silent comedy factor that was needed other then Mc Kay and Shepard all the time. I'm really enjoying him being the commander of Atlantis, mind you at first i was really disappointing to see Sam go but credit to the writes, they couldn't have done a better job and building his character up.

Buck32
November 16th, 2008, 02:11 AM
What a great episode, thoroughly enjoyed it, easily one the best this season!!! Woolsey was fantastic in this ep, Picardo really took centre stage and made this episode his own, half the time i found myself not caring about the shepherd B story, even though i enjoyed that too!!! It was great to see Kolya back even as a hallucination, interesting character development to learn that even though he's dead, when Shepherd thinks of fear, he thinks of Kolya ( and i love that horn music or whatever it is when you see Kolya or the Genii, always been a favourite of mine).

As other posters have said i've enjoyed how they've developed Woolsey as a the commander of Atlantis, what a shame we won't get more seasons to see him shine. FYI i loved Weir but i've always been a Picardo fan from my ST Voyager days. I hope he get's a meaty roll in the Atlantis movie!!!!!

Cory Holmes
November 16th, 2008, 10:11 AM
For me, Weir will always be my ideal Atlantis commander (not just 'cuz I'm a straight male, but that's a compelling reason unto itself :) ). She brought class, grace, and elegance to the ground.

But I knew from Day 1 that Woolsey would rock as a leader. I'd been a fan of his from his first episode in Heros II, when he calmy threatened a two-star general with a dark, dank jail cell should he breathe a word of ths SGC to a local film crew... up until then I only knew Picardo as "The Doctor" from Voyager, and to see him acting in the bad-guy role was creepily awesome.

But the more his character got screen time, the more nuances he was given and the more fleshing out he got. I knew he'd be commanding enough to stand up to Sheppard and slap him down as needed (much like Caldwell, another character I adore) and thought that would make for some great character interactions.

SerenaSerenity
November 16th, 2008, 02:41 PM
For me, Weir will always be my ideal Atlantis commander (not just 'cuz I'm a straight male, but that's a compelling reason unto itself :) ). She brought class, grace, and elegance to the ground.

But I knew from Day 1 that Woolsey would rock as a leader. I'd been a fan of his from his first episode in Heros II, when he calmy threatened a two-star general with a dark, dank jail cell should he breathe a word of ths SGC to a local film crew... up until then I only knew Picardo as "The Doctor" from Voyager, and to see him acting in the bad-guy role was creepily awesome.

But the more his character got screen time, the more nuances he was given and the more fleshing out he got. I knew he'd be commanding enough to stand up to Sheppard and slap him down as needed (much like Caldwell, another character I adore) and thought that would make for some great character interactions.

I have to agree. Though, to be honest, I really didn't actually see the charactor actually becoming what he is now. It was indeed a suprise, though I have to admit, a good one.

rsanchez
November 17th, 2008, 06:10 AM
And if it was only worried about it's own survival, it wouldn't have cared if Sheppard fell to his death. So, I think it cared more then anyone thinks.
I think it only cared because it didn't want people to be suspicious before it got a chance to leave. Sparing John's life also meant it had three people sympathetic to its interests.
I also have to say that I do think this is one of the best episodes of the season, and ranks up there as one of the best Atlantis episodes. I found nothing wrong with this episode. The writing and acting was superb.

SGAtlantisP60
November 20th, 2008, 04:48 AM
I agree i like woolsey but i wish carter was still around cause i think she was better.

SGAtlantisP60
November 20th, 2008, 04:48 AM
oo but i love wier too.

Jill_Ion
November 20th, 2008, 07:01 AM
I didn't have a problem with Woolsey coming over. When I first heard, I was like "Huh?" But then as I thought of the character, RP, and what both could bring to the show, I was all for it.

I've liked all of the commanders of Atlantis, but I think Woolsey really works. Of the three, I think he has added the most to the show.

Weir was great - she did have grace and elegance, but she wasn't strong enough in some leadership areas - or we didn't get to see her being strong very often. I enjoyed seeing Weir kicking butt, when she did.

I'm a Carter fan, so was looking forward to her leadership, but since she is so darn science-smart and so darn military-kickass, it was strange and occasionally uncomfortable to see her take a more passive role. I love seeing Carter kick butt.

Woolsey's strength is more in the political and sneaky bureaucratic areas. Also, his honesty and sincerity make him not just an "office weasel." He has layers. He kicks butt with words.

A_PophisandhisFran
November 20th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Woolsey has been awesome, and I think Carter was a big mistake for many, many reasons. Actually, the worst leader Stargate has ever had! I liked her fine on SG-1, but really... They should have brought Woolsey in at the start of the 4th season. It would have made more sense story-wise anyway.

Woolsey or Weir? Weir never seemed to be too strong of a leader really, she let Sheppard push her around way too much. I still like her though. I just don't know if she was really the ideal leader even to start with.

Briangate78
November 20th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Woolsey always had that impression of, "Oh great F***ing Woolsey" Now it's like Woolsey is one of the good guys and he will do everything to help his team, even if it means breaking the rules, something he was always against.

BTW, thats character development folks.

Balkiegate78
November 21st, 2008, 11:04 AM
yeah, what he said.