PDA

View Full Version : Universe Enemy

bungeeguy245
November 13th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Just putting it out there. If there is an all powerful enemy in Universe who rules because everyone has been brainwashed to think they are gods, I will turn it off immediately and never, ever turn it back on.

Achiles
November 13th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Most threads have a question. But it might not be to bad to have brainwashed followers.

Col. Frank Simmons
November 13th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I reckon that the Furlings should be the Universe enemy like the "evil" asgaurd in Atlantis. I would actually watch the series if that was the case

Bobby
November 13th, 2008, 09:51 PM
i dont really care who the enemy are as long as they are jus really advanced and a warrior-like race who just rule over everyone through fear.

so like all other races before they became really week and stupid...like the wraith!

luckygate
November 14th, 2008, 12:07 AM
They Should have an enamy that's close in tec to us. but lets face it if there going from galaxy to galaxy every... say 4 months... or less the enemy has to be hela advanced cuz they got to follow them around... some what... I can't see them getting too many seasons out of this consept and stay true to stargate. If they could give us more info on this then what they have we might be more receptive on it. They said that they have had the concept for this since before SG-1 aired they should have even ideas on who the enemies are, what they look like, what makes them the big bad, what they do. Have you ever seen the show firefly? the Revers are ruthless blood savages created by a nother enemy... if we saw somthing simular to that here.. it could work.. I know that they were like the wrath in a way but really the wrath didn't seem too savage. more like animals that were over populated looking for food. besides Im sure that the wrath could have gone a longer time without waking up to feed they just couldn't let the human population get oo big.

thekillman
November 14th, 2008, 01:22 AM
an enemy thats not an enemy. why always this pure evil concept? im more willing to go with a galactic alliance of planets. we are intruders. because of a problem with the destiny, we are seen as enemies [alien ship not responding, possibly dangerous], and attacked. we fight back and win, provoking a war. at the end of the season or so, we jump away. the next galaxy has three superpowers in deadlock fight. two outright fighting, the third a terrorist like faction. we unknowlingly help one, provoking war between us and the others. we decide to help, only to find out we're helping the baddies. that kind of ideas. cause im fed up with technosuperaliens who are the sole dominant race

Anon
November 14th, 2008, 02:31 AM
personally i love the overbearing gods, and the followers

lunarleviathan
November 14th, 2008, 03:25 AM
I actually hope they don't have a single enemy that is present throughout. Moving through various galaxies offers the opportunity to have quite a few different enemies, and have arcs that have actual ends to them.

The god thing is good, but no enemy is ever going to live up to the Goa'uld - something I think we saw with the Ori. I'd rather see fresh ideas over trying to reclaim what worked in the past, and never quite being able to live up to it.

Acolyte Of Bli'l'ab
November 14th, 2008, 03:47 AM
assymetrical aliens or im not watching.

Madwelshboy
November 14th, 2008, 03:49 AM
I actually hope they don't have a single enemy that is present throughout. Moving through various galaxies offers the opportunity to have quite a few different enemies, and have arcs that have actual ends to them.

The god thing is good, but no enemy is ever going to live up to the Goa'uld - something I think we saw with the Ori. I'd rather see fresh ideas over trying to reclaim what worked in the past, and never quite being able to live up to it.

Agreed on both counts! Even tho something has worked in the past, dosent mean its gonna work a few more times. Since the show is ment not to be a direct spin-off, it would be nice to see some fresh ideas when it come to the enemies featured in the show.

project_belfast
November 14th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Personally I wouldlove the Evil Asgaard to be the enemy in the stargate universe.

If you remember on the stargate atlantis first contact episode, the asgaard where living on the outskirts of the pegasus galaxy (an 8 symbol galaxy) if I remember correctly they said that they needed to start venturing out more cause of the poor living arrangements where they lived.

After the aurora device was destroyed it could be possible that they ventered into the 9 sysmbol galaxy as they where close the to outskirts of the 8 sysmbol galaxy in an attempt to get away from the Wraith.

rielgenius1688
November 14th, 2008, 07:07 AM
personally, I'm hoping for single season story arcs here. With the Destiny moving from galaxy to galaxy, it makes sense that any enemies and major stories take place within said season, and then they move onto their next set of adventures. Kind of like Heroes, I guess.

Rise Of The Phoenix
November 14th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Personally I like the idea of mixing things up, perhaps having more than just one enemy, like thkillman said have an alliance of a number of races, spanning at least a few galaxies.
Destiny arrives and is witness to a split in the union, a civil intergalactic war breaks out, the uber advanced peaceful race is all alone, grants us refuge within their territories while fighting against insurmountable odds (you know kinda like the Wraith against the Ancients only their enemy isn't a group of life sucking baddies, but regular advanced races), maybe we don't find this race until like the 3rd series but hear rumors of a nice friendly race that has been stabbed in the back, when we find them we learn that they are called the Furlings.

tendomentis
November 14th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I have no doubt the new show will have an "enemy of the week", but for a "constant" threat (like the Wraith are for SGA), maybe they'll be under assault from ascended beings (for whom the vast distances the ship is travelling would mean nothing).

Perhaps a variation of Merlin's Ori Killer will be on board, and they have to keep it running to keep the evil ascended away, thus allowing for many interesting plots where power is failing or aliens sabotage the ship's systems.

I'm just throwing ideas out there.

bungeeguy245
November 14th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Got some good ideas on this thread. Not sure I agree with the ascended beings one. Especially since Merlin didn't create the anit-ori weapon until Way after the Destiny would have been launched. I personally would like to take a break from the ascension thing for now. That is one thing I like about Atlantis, hardly any mention of ascended beings.

I think the multiple enemies is a great idea. Perhaps one we meet in season 1 would be kind of the worst one and is trying to gather the technology to jump from galaxy to galaxy so we seem them occasionally as they make advances.

As far as the furlings I think it won't ever happen. I think everytime the producers, writers, etc see mention of the furling post they laugh at us. It was something they probably threw in as a joke and never intend to revisit. I of course hope I am wrong.

jnadreth
November 14th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Perhaps the Producers are the Furlings?????????

bungeeguy245
November 14th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Possibly. See some fury creatures sitting in their big leather chair with a cigar and a whisky laughing as they read about furlings and how they keep cancelling our shows. Then one spits his cigar half way across the room and the drink smashes to the ground "on no, they figured it out."

jnadreth
November 14th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Lol

atlantis26
November 14th, 2008, 05:45 PM
funny

Prior_of_the_Ori
November 15th, 2008, 03:13 AM
Personally I wouldlove the Evil Asgaard to be the enemy in the stargate universe.

If you remember on the stargate atlantis first contact episode, the asgaard where living on the outskirts of the pegasus galaxy (an 8 symbol galaxy) if I remember correctly they said that they needed to start venturing out more cause of the poor living arrangements where they lived.

After the aurora device was destroyed it could be possible that they ventered into the 9 sysmbol galaxy as they where close the to outskirts of the 8 sysmbol galaxy in an attempt to get away from the Wraith.

I doubt thats the case since those Asgard were said to have lost their intergalactic ships in the first battle. Plus, I would imagine that they would try and keep Universe separate from Atlantis and SG-1 so I don't think they would recycle old races but you never know... Also, its Attero device, not Aurrora device.

ReFRidgerator
November 15th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Well, as long as it isn't a weak enemy like the Kazon, in Star Trek Voyager. The different sects sovled the disance problem but thaey were a weak villain. Maybe a villain like the travelers (but evil) or the evil asgard. A villain of the week might not be a bad idea, maybe a better villain will first be introduced that way.

Rise Of The Phoenix
November 15th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Well, as long as it isn't a weak enemy like the Kazon, in Star Trek Voyager. The different sects sovled the disance problem but thaey were a weak villain. Maybe a villain like the travelers (but evil) or the evil asgard. A villain of the week might not be a bad idea, maybe a better villain will first be introduced that way.

The Kazon weren't that weak, their huge Mother ships were pretty powerful.
Making them more advanced than the federation and Voyager would have meant they probably wouldn't have survived more than a few seasons and had to avoid them more often.

I don't mind the Villain of the week thing as long as their interesting and have some depth, may be having more of a villain of the season thing with a few extra smaller races put in there for good measure.

thekillman
November 15th, 2008, 08:49 AM
villain of the week wont work. not enough enemy development.

Rise Of The Phoenix
November 15th, 2008, 09:37 AM
villain of the week wont work. not enough enemy development.

Maybe not all of the time, but if there are a few episodes every now and then where the sole focus is on individual enemies then that can work, especially if they're used to set-up future stories, or even the odd unusual race/being who leaves you thinking about them.
There's an episode of Star Trek voyager that comes to mind which always had me wondering and that is in season 2 it's called Persistence Of Vision.

Shaod
November 15th, 2008, 10:49 AM
an enemy thats not an enemy. why always this pure evil concept? im more willing to go with a galactic alliance of planets. we are intruders. because of a problem with the destiny, we are seen as enemies [alien ship not responding, possibly dangerous], and attacked. we fight back and win, provoking a war. at the end of the season or so, we jump away. the next galaxy has three superpowers in deadlock fight. two outright fighting, the third a terrorist like faction. we unknowlingly help one, provoking war between us and the others. we decide to help, only to find out we're helping the baddies. that kind of ideas. cause im fed up with technosuperaliens who are the sole dominant race

That seems good. Maybe include one "technosuperalien"?

Ripple in Space
November 15th, 2008, 11:01 AM
If there's an enemy with an empire that spans the Universe, how could one ship (that has no navigational controls) possibly even make a difference? Even the Alterans at their peak were never that advanced...

Rise Of The Phoenix
November 15th, 2008, 12:40 PM
If there's an enemy with an empire that spans the Universe, how could one ship (that has no navigational controls) possibly even make a difference? Even the Alterans at their peak were never that advanced...

The universe as most people know is absolutely huge, there's what trillions of galaxies, many with probably hundreds of thousands of planets that could be habitable to many different forms of life, not just Humanoid so it's more than likely that an un-ascended race formed and developed to become more advanced than the Ancients.
As far as one race spanning the entire universe if that was the case then we would at least have seen some evidence of such a race if not encountered them in the galaxies we've explored.

If anything maybe we'll find an intergalactic or many intergalactic races that are present in many galaxies it just depends on whether they are bad guys or good guys. :)

thekillman
November 15th, 2008, 12:55 PM
we have superadvanced hyperdrives. so any enemy will probably have several weeks intergalactic traveltime. so we can outrun them. annother thing is, intergalactic wont be really feasable. by then the race is advanced enough to blast even the destiny out of the sky

Rise Of The Phoenix
November 15th, 2008, 01:42 PM
It all depends on how the races have developed (whether they've stolen technology from other races and figured out how it works, the science behind it, how to improve it and how to duplicate said technology or developed all the tech on their own, which I'd bet takes longer than just copying, then improve the tech), what kind of life form (biological may be less intelligent and some form of AI which is constantly improving it's self like the replicators may figure out how the universe works faster) and how powerful Destiny's shields are compared to the enemy's weapons.

Having really fast propulsion systems doesn't always mean a race will have uber powerful weapons or defenses, we're talking about the wider universe not just the region that we've seen so a variety in technological development I think is to be expected.

FordGuy
November 15th, 2008, 04:05 PM

Okay, I just had to say something on this one...joined the forum offically just so I could do it...

The Pegasus Galaxy is not an '8 Symbol galaxy'. The eighth symbol is to tell the stargate system that you are jumping galaxies. And the creators have already mentioned that the ninth Symbol is specifically for the purpose of reaching the Destiny nothing else. Each individual gate in each individual galaxy is still just a 7 symbol address. But if you want to dial from one gate in the milkway to one in the pegasus you need the 8th symbol. Remeber when Jack first had the acient database downloaded into his mind, he build a low tech ZPM to power the Earth gate and then dialed an 8 symbol address to reach the Asgard so they could help him. That wasn't the Pegasus Galaxy that he went to, it was the Asgard home galaxy.

As for the main topic of discussion in this thread, I agree with those that think there should be an enemy each season...if the ship is moving all the time, it would make sense that sooner or later they would get past the reach of any one bad guy. Unfortunately draws a lot of parellels to ST Voyager

Sly12
November 15th, 2008, 04:28 PM
What I think would be maybe a good idea is to have just maybe two or three factions who have relativily equal control, who see the aicents as partly gods/creators but also there great allys, and that maybe one of the factions finding out about the destiny causes them to be thrown in choas.

Like they all need the destiny to either help them win there war or to take it as there own as they see it as then own answer as swift victory but the SG team doesn't want to get involved as there past problems have all arisen due to interferring.

so there all kind of on the same level as our selves in that they have ships and beam tech but not so much that there really an over powering threat due to the fact there all mixed up in this battle neither can win.

I suppose that sounds alot like ST Voyagers first season or two tho.

magictrick
November 15th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I'm hoping for a change from this "one enemy". Since the ship is supposed to be traveling all the time, it would be great to see various enemies throughout the series rather than just one.

Also, whoever mentioned the idea about the SG team as the intruders in the galaxy is also interesting. Definitely a welcome change of scenery.

JackHarkness_Hot
November 17th, 2008, 10:08 AM

I can see this happen but it could get boring if done badly.

kymeric
November 18th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Giant octupi who swim thru space and have giant eyes.

Or chipmunks with eye lasers and teleportation powers!

Blistna
November 18th, 2008, 09:42 AM
They Should have an enamy that's close in tec to us. but lets face it if there going from galaxy to galaxy every... say 4 months... or less the enemy has to be hela advanced cuz they got to follow them around... some what... I can't see them getting too many seasons out of this consept and stay true to stargate. If they could give us more info on this then what they have we might be more receptive on it. They said that they have had the concept for this since before SG-1 aired they should have even ideas on who the enemies are, what they look like, what makes them the big bad, what they do. Have you ever seen the show firefly? the Revers are ruthless blood savages created by a nother enemy... if we saw somthing simular to that here.. it could work.. I know that they were like the wrath in a way but really the wrath didn't seem too savage. more like animals that were over populated looking for food. besides Im sure that the wrath could have gone a longer time without waking up to feed they just couldn't let the human population get oo big.

Or many races. A new race every galaxy. A new galaxy every season. Thats how I see it.

And I bet they will run into a god-like race, races with similar human tech, racing that love war -- a big mix. The real question...what will be the FIRST enemy?

JackHarkness_Hot
November 18th, 2008, 10:44 AM

The Kazon were just weak versions of Ronan!

ReFRidgerator
November 18th, 2008, 10:51 AM
The Kazon were just weak versions of Ronan! :indeed: But, not as cool. And like any sci-fi villain they ALWAYS miss.

ha'tak_
November 21st, 2008, 09:22 AM
Just putting it out there. If there is an all powerful enemy in Universe who rules because everyone has been brainwashed to think they are gods, I will turn it off immediately and never, ever turn it back on.

two think

1. nothing like replicators ( this is the only think that chould stop me from watchink the show)

2. not play gods

GhostPoet
November 21st, 2008, 10:57 AM
I've got it!

an army of twisted cosplay addicts.

ciannwn
November 21st, 2008, 02:47 PM
The Kazon were just weak versions of Ronan!

With even badder bad hair.

GateFanSamJack
November 22nd, 2008, 07:41 AM
Gremlins - the portable enemy

ha'tak_
November 22nd, 2008, 08:09 AM
Gremlins - the portable enemy

neee yo small

i want guys that are big ,strong , really advanced and have cool plasma or laser riffle

GateFanSamJack
November 22nd, 2008, 08:30 AM
neee yo small

i want guys that are big ,strong , really advanced and have cool plasma or laser riffle

Gremlins aren't real. You can write them however you want -- some semi- or fully- sentient parasite that uses something about the ship as part of its life cycle/sustenance. That ship has been sitting around a long time (and space faring would've been around before that) so saying the gremlins evolved there fully or partially would be sellable.

I can't see gremlins causing too much damage to the spaceship (their meal ticket), but their relationship to the crew/new events would be more ambiguous. Maybe the laser guys could be the guys hunting gremlins for sport.

I'm all for plasma and lasers, but I'm tired of enemies that are next to impossible to kill in the first episode when they are introduced and then become easy to kill for the purposes of editing time later on. Well, not tired, I've got some of that left in me, but you get what I mean about being less impressed by the difficult to kill enemy as I've followed SciFi TV for this long knowing that enemy will be P90 fodder by next season.

I'm looking for an enemy that doesn't seem that big of a deal at first, but develops into something more complicated as opposed to the doomsday enemy who has no where to go in character development but to be a little less doomy and a little more relatable.

ha'tak_
November 22nd, 2008, 08:34 AM
Gremlins aren't real. You can write them however you want -- some semi- or fully- sentient parasite that uses something about the ship as part of its life cycle/sustenance. That ship has been sitting around a long time (and space faring would've been around before that) so saying the gremlins evolved there fully or partially would be sellable.

I can't see gremlins causing too much damage to the spaceship (their meal ticket), but their relationship to the crew/new events would be more ambiguous. Maybe the laser guys could be the guys hunting gremlins for sport.

I'm all for plasma and lasers, but I'm tired of enemies that are next to impossible to kill in the first episode when they are introduced and then become easy to kill for the purposes of editing time later on. Well, not tired, I've got some of that left in me, but you get what I mean about being less impressed by the difficult to kill enemy as I've followed SciFi TV for this long knowing that enemy will be P90 fodder by next season.

I'm looking for an enemy that doesn't seem that big of a deal at first, but develops into something more complicated as opposed to the doomsday enemy who has no where to go in character development but to be a little less doomy and a little more relatable.

yee and dont have them like the wraith where they can heal them self (but nothink against a wraith like creatures i all other ways) and no way to have them like the priors

Quadhelix
November 23rd, 2008, 10:34 AM
So perhaps some semi-primitive creature with Borg-like adaptability: harmless and frail when first encountered, but immune to attacks previously used against it ("it" referring to the Hivemind as a whole).

The main problem is that this would eventually reach to point where the characters can no longer win, so they loose, and the show ends because all the main characters are dead.

airrick
November 24th, 2008, 02:22 AM
If the ship is moving and they dont have any control over it then how will they manage to fight off a villain when every episode the ticking clock is constantly the ship that is going to leave them.. or isnt moving fast enough to outrun a villain.. not sure how thats going to work..

ha'tak_
November 24th, 2008, 09:42 AM
If the ship is moving and they dont have any control over it then how will they manage to fight off a villain when every episode the ticking clock is constantly the ship that is going to leave them.. or isnt moving fast enough to outrun a villain.. not sure how thats going to work..

well the ship is going throug a galaxy and travel to every planet in it so they whould meet to so called enemy often and going to every planet takes a long long long long time

GateFanSamJack
November 25th, 2008, 08:21 AM
So perhaps some semi-primitive creature with Borg-like adaptability: harmless and frail when first encountered, but immune to attacks previously used against it ("it" referring to the Hivemind as a whole).

The main problem is that this would eventually reach to point where the characters can no longer win, so they loose, and the show ends because all the main characters are dead.

More complexity doesn't necessarily mean they keep getting badder. There could be aspects to them you don't know or interact with at first. They could also get weaker in some ways and stronger in others. Allies at first, then enemies later - there're lots of possibilities. I'm just asking for any character arc other than going from unkillable to a little more killable.

thekillman
November 25th, 2008, 08:49 AM
easy to kill: make them adapt to some integral part of them. so they kill themselves.

id like to see a Future Earth. essentially, us around 2300, using genetic adaption, prosthetic adaptions, mechanical implants, nukes, lasers, ETC.

id like to see a superalliance. a kind of EU spanned galaxy wide. who fight us because we are seen as an alien invader.

id like to see a human-esque race expansion.[but not humanoid] thousands of colonies, and a teleporter network for ships, using the gate as transition method. slow ships, but do pack a punch.

id like to see a race like us, 5 years ago or so. weak spaceships, mostly reverse engineered stuff from died out races. they scavenge, and rely primarily on the gate.

id like to see an alliance of races, who are more like space pirates.

id like to see a lone race, spread over the galaxy. one species, adapted to the circumstances of each planet. a large fleet of small ships

id like to see a robot race. not replicator, more android.

id like to see a fully robot race. IE every possible stange robot form. not android, not replicator. based upon multiple species, like spider beings, but also other usefull robots. form is based off function.