PDA

View Full Version : Say No To SG Movies?

Mav
November 13th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I got to thinking about more SG direct-to-dvd movies coming down the pipeline and I wondered, what if the fan's just said "no"?

I liked Ark of Truth and Continuum was awesome but as we know the moment they axed Atlantis they went ahead and said "There'll be a movie" and who knows, maybe more than one.

Now, call me jaded and just angry but I don't want to trade off series-for-movies. The movies sadly aren't theatrical, no theater releases and they are barely long enough for a movie (both Ark and Continuum clocked in at what, 110-115 minutes, not counting credits?) that's only three episodes of content (44 minutes per episode without commercials).

I am, however on the side of the fans eager for Universe, I also fear that if it ends either early or at some point where they say "Ok, lets end the series and just continue it with a few movies", that's it they will just do the rest of Universe via dvd movies.

So we can't save Atlantis as a series, despite emails, letters, phone calls and lemons, maybe we should vote with our wallets and purses. Take a stand. I think we have too, there isn't much science fiction left on tv these days, several series are ending, some getting canned before their time, and all we have left of Stargate is Universe and the mmo.

Food for thought

Myles
November 13th, 2008, 01:19 PM
So we can't save Atlantis as a series, despite emails, letters, phone calls and lemons, maybe we should vote with our wallets and purses. Take a stand. I think we have too, there isn't much science fiction left on tv these days, several series are ending, some getting canned before their time, and all we have left of Stargate is Universe and the mmo.

Right now you are not 'voting with your wallet' to save Atlantis as a series, but to save Atlantis as a franchise. The powers that be will not return SGA to a series format if the movies do poorly, they will simply not produce SGA anymore.

So while most people can agree they'd rather see a SGA season 6 then a movie or two; not buying the movies will only expedite Atlantis' end, rather then bring it back in a preferred format.

amarhys
November 13th, 2008, 01:23 PM
The good answer to your question is to boycott SGU.
They have to understand that they have to respect the fans.

jenks
November 13th, 2008, 01:30 PM

The fact is they don't though, even if every fan on this forum decided not to watch Universe the ratings would probably hardly be effected. The fans need a reality check, they're consumers, nothing more, and the sooner people realise that the better. Now it's everyone right to boycott whatever they like, but if you think boycotting the movies will bring back the series then you've got another thing coming. It's not a case of having movies or a series, it's a case of having the movies or nothing.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
November 13th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Atlantis isn't coming back as a series, except it. Be thankful they are continuing with movies, most series don't see 100 episodes and they don't get movies to carry it on. To be fair, Atlantis was nearing it's end anyway. The storylines are starting to wrap up and it's a good time to end. Think of how many people complained, me being one of them, when they continued SG1 passed season 8, the show's natural end. I believe Atlantis is reaching it's natural end, and movies are perfect to wrap everything up. *sticks fingers in ears and ignores major plot point in the S5 midseason 2 parter* - Although another major enemy introduced a few seasons before didn't last long....

Sorry, rambling there, back to the point. Refusing to buy Atlantis movies or watch Universe will just kill the franchise, they won't bring Atlantis back as a series :rolleyes:

captain simms
November 13th, 2008, 02:05 PM

no you cant boycott universe because as much as i hate to say it atlantis wont come back and universe will probably be a good series and they will cancel that and then no more stargate :(

carrollwoman
November 13th, 2008, 02:41 PM
What! You are either a fan of stargate or not - There is no point whatsoever in boycotting anything.
I will be watching and buying Universe and any other releases.

With no theatrical releases it means that there is more of a chance that there will be more because it would flop at the box office just like star trek did.

<snip>

If the fans want respect then respect the artisitc choices the producers make on your behalf and then feel free to criticise when it's been seen.

rielgenius1688
November 13th, 2008, 03:10 PM
This franchise has had a spectacular run, it has managed 15 seasons of content, an incredible feat. And now it is continuing on in the form of these dvd movies. All those who are fans should recognise how lucky they are that this franchise has been as productive as it has.

wkw427
November 13th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I'd prefer they make movies like Futurama is doing, long, movie-movies, with a storyline that ties intogether.

Crichiel
November 13th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Say 'no' to SG movies, thus destroying any chance of my ever seeing Daniel, Sam, Teal'c, and possibly Jack, again (not to mention those on SGA who I have also come to really enjoy)? Let me think about this for a nanosecond....uh, nope. I will take them any way I can get them. And be grateful for it.

Most shows I fall in love with are yanked after 4-6 episodes. Those lucky to last a season or two or three are then pulled with none of their executives caring one whit about the fans. The two movies we got have already proven to me that they do care about the fans and the franchise. So I, for one, will not complain.

Rosehawk
November 13th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Since I still want to see the characters of SG1 and SGA and the decision was made to cancel both shows, I will most certainly be wanting to watch the movies. It's better than not having anything at all!

GatorProduct4
November 13th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I for one am happy that the movies even exist! practically no shows have movies after the series ends! We should be grateful we even get that. I think that the fans should continue to support their SG-1 and SGA favorites in movie form, because like it our not, that's all there will be from now on. If you don't buy the movies then TPTB will stop making them it is as simple as that. Then we might as well kiss SG-1 and SGA goodbye for good. So I will continue to be grateful for the new SG-1 that I can still see immortalized in movie form and wish that also for SGA.
Plus people shouldn't boycott SGU until they have at least seen the pilot. Make your decision after that.

(EARTH 2 (pic below) another great series that got axed way before its time only had one season:()

SerenaSerenity
November 13th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Now, I have nothing against anyone else's opinion. To each their own and I believe that fully. So, I'm just gonna give my opinion. Here goes.

In my own personal opinion, if we boycott Stargate, we lose it forever. And I would hate that. I loved the movies and can't wait for more. And I'm happy that Atlantis is being made into a movie. I hope it continues on for a time. And I'm pleased that they are going to movies. Even if they don't make it to the theatres. Doesn't bother me at all. DVD's are fine by me. I rarely go to the theatre anyway. I usually wait for movies to come out on DVD before I see them. I don't honestly have the time for the movies anymore. I would rather see them go to movies then never see them again at all. And I can't wait for SGU to come out.

And thats my own opinion. All I really have to say about it.

EdenSG
November 13th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I do not believe that boycotts are ever that influential.
And others are correct, even if it did have an impact, a boycott of the movies will only eliminate any chance of more SG-1 and SGA movies and I think the chances of more movies are slim enough already.

At this point I am not that interested in SGU but I DO NOT think there should be a boycott of SGU because I think:

1. It will not work
2. SG fans have the right to and will make their own choices to watch or not
3. Only gives the impression that SGA fans are disgruntled and TPTB are likely to ignore fans that are disgruntled.
4. Divides fans in their support, and right now fans need each other.

SO in my opinion one should find a more positive approach to support SGA other than boycotts of the movies or SGU.

Rise Of The Phoenix
November 13th, 2008, 05:56 PM
As many have already said boycotting the movies will kill the franchise,.
As much as I was saddened to here that Atlantis the show was coming to an end and felt that it could have been carefully finished off with all the current story threads being rounded up nicely in another season how often does that actually happen in a television series?

I'm happy that it will live on any form, when you actually think with your head and not your heart it becomes clear that we're getting a brand new show, two movies (I know that the SG1 film hasn't quite been given the green light, but I expect it will happen after AoT and continuum being such a success ;)), possibly even more in the future and the game, so it actually is quite a lot and should Universe be as popular as SG1 and SGA then I think we'll probably get anywhere between 1 and 5 seasons.

The only things I'd like from Universe is for it to be as well made, acted and written as SG1 and SGA, I think those are pretty much what we can expect and the same holds true of any future projects TPTB undertake including the movies. :)

the fifth man
November 13th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Since I still want to see the characters of SG1 and SGA and the decision was made to cancel both shows, I will most certainly be wanting to watch the movies. It's better than not having anything at all!

Yeah, it is much better than not having anything at all. I am beyond grateful that we have gotten the two SG-1 movies that we have. And to know that a third SG-1 movie, and a first Atlantis movie are soon to follow, is amazing.:)

I will do anything I can to support this franchise that I have enjoyed for so many years. I plan on embracing SGU, and giving it a fair shot. That, and hoping that more SG-1 and Atlantis movies will be made.

amarhys
November 13th, 2008, 11:00 PM
no you cant boycott universe because as much as i hate to say it atlantis wont come back and universe will probably be a good series and they will cancel that and then no more stargate :(

So ? Is it a problem ?

avidffan
November 13th, 2008, 11:23 PM
its as simple as this
money
mgm wants money thats all
they are a company
delivering a quality product is secondary to them
if they dont see the money they dont produce the show or movie
thats it
plain and simple
so
boycotting something you claim to enjoy will only help to end it before its time

its like trying to win the lottery without buying a ticket

Rise Of The Phoenix
November 14th, 2008, 10:06 AM
So ? Is it a problem ?

I'd say it would be a problem if there was no more Stargate.
Of course we can always watch our DVDs or the re-runs but missing out on new well made material because a bunch of annoyed fans decided not to watch Universe or the Movies would be a problem. ;)

Ganthet Jr.
November 14th, 2008, 04:47 PM

Shhhh.

Ganthet Jr.
November 14th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Allow me to elaborate...

it's a dumb business move to only acknowledge the hardcore online fans. I am one myself, but understand that the "fanbase" is MUCH larger than the online segment. Most of the fans are the casual people who flip channels and go "Oh, it's Friday night, I think that Stargate show is on!".

They did what they had to do. Sucks for some of us, but whatever, life goes on, the franchise still lives.

Vala_M
November 15th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Yeah, boycott universe to send them a message to NOT substitute crap for something that's a proven success! And if you DO watch it even if you're just giving it a chance, DON'T because it will encourage them to put more filth on the air!

Unless they made 4 movies a year (2 Atlantis and 2 SG-1) I would never feel satisfied with movies only. And they would have to release them in a DECENT AMOUNT OF TIME! None of this 1+ years crap to be released.

And yes, they COULD make 4 movies a year, it's equivalent to 8 episodes and keep in mind for 3 years they made 40 episodes per year so it's more than possible.

Vala,

bfldworker
November 15th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I have to say this and I am not sorry if what I say is too brash or blunt. But I am sick of people whining about (Boycott SGU!, Save SG1, Save SGA!). Shows being canceled have been going on before TV was popular (They canceled Radio Shows) for reasons that they either did explain or didn't explain.

SG1 had one hell of a run over it's 10 years. Instead of crying we should be saying THANK YOU (I know a lot of people have, but there are still whiners). With SGA going in the same direction, what is going on? You have 2 groups. Save SGA and BOYCOTT SGU! First and foremost, when rumors started running around about a 3rd Stargate show people were all cranked up and thrilled. I know I was, but the moment I heard that SGU was going to be pitched an expensive series, I knew SGA wasn't going to be around for much longer.

This is typical for the tv industry. Not many Sci-fi shows last 5 seasons. We should be happy that we have had 15 years (all together) of Stargate so far. It could have ended when Showtime canceled it 7 years ago.

And one more thing. Boycotting SGU isn't going to do anything. At the most you would be "cutting your nose off to spite your face". It is a pointless and frivolous act at best. I know TPTB read these forums and they have address the concerns of "Voyager 90210" and other concerns that have popped up.

Personally, I welcome SGU with open arms. And it isn't because I will not miss SG1 and SGA. I will miss them I think there is a lot more territory to be covered in that show. Like finding the ZPM construction devices or making drones or ring transporters. SGU is just a extension of the Stargate Universe and any true and real fan would accept that and move on.

I remember when people yelled about TNG going away after a 7 year run, Voyager came out and I personally feel is was one of the best Trek shows out there because it explored unknown territory of both space and the human condition. And I feel that SGU will do that as well. (I am not calling SGU a clone of Voyager. so don't even bother bringing that up).

Just give SGU a chance and stop this frivolous boycotting crap. It isn't going to work. You have more people in favor of SGU then you do against it. Not to mention the hundreds of thousands of silent fans who aren't voicing there opinion because either they can't access Gateworld or they won't voice there opinion.

Also another Cliche. Money Talks and BS walks. Money is going to be the big voice. If they have companies willing to buy commercial time then SGU is a keeper. And if anyone wants the Stargate Franchise to continue and if you are true fans then watch the show, enjoy what they are giving you. Because this may very well be the end of the line. 3 series on the same Franchise. Almost unheard of.........

And as for the movies. They will continue making movies as long as people are willing to buy them. And I feel that is money well spent.

Rise Of The Phoenix
November 15th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Yeah, boycott universe to send them a message to NOT substitute crap for something that's a proven success! And if you DO watch it even if you're just giving it a chance, DON'T because it will encourage them to put more filth on the air!

Unless they made 4 movies a year (2 Atlantis and 2 SG-1) I would never feel satisfied with movies only. And they would have to release them in a DECENT AMOUNT OF TIME! None of this 1+ years crap to be released.

And yes, they COULD make 4 movies a year, it's equivalent to 8 episodes and keep in mind for 3 years they made 40 episodes per year so it's more than possible.

Vala,

How can you possibly know that Universe is going to be bad?
The show hasn't even aired yet, so for you to say that it's going to be rubbish is ridiculous.
Unless you've got Janus's time traveling Puddle Jumper for real then you can't possibly know the show is going to be a bad one, especially not from some character descriptions, base story ideas and concept artwork.

I have to reiterate that so far both shows (SG1 and SGA) have been good pieces of science fiction, so why should Universe be any different just because it's a different take on the Stargate theme?

I mean this with the greatest respect but to judge something before you've seen it is just narrow minded and ignorant.
You are of course well within your right to give Universe a miss, but if people like myself want to try it then it's up to them. ;)

Rise Of The Phoenix
November 15th, 2008, 07:40 AM
I have to say this and I am not sorry if what I say is too brash or blunt. But I am sick of people whining about (Boycott SGU!, Save SG1, Save SGA!). Shows being canceled have been going on before TV was popular (They canceled Radio Shows) for reasons that they either did explain or didn't explain.

SG1 had one hell of a run over it's 10 years. Instead of crying we should be saying THANK YOU (I know a lot of people have, but there are still whiners). With SGA going in the same direction, what is going on? You have 2 groups. Save SGA and BOYCOTT SGU! First and foremost, when rumors started running around about a 3rd Stargate show people were all cranked up and thrilled. I know I was, but the moment I heard that SGU was going to be pitched an expensive series, I knew SGA wasn't going to be around for much longer.

This is typical for the tv industry. Not many Sci-fi shows last 5 seasons. We should be happy that we have had 15 years (all together) of Stargate so far. It could have ended when Showtime canceled it 7 years ago.

And one more thing. Boycotting SGU isn't going to do anything. At the most you would be "cutting your nose off to spite your face". It is a pointless and frivolous act at best. I know TPTB read these forums and they have address the concerns of "Voyager 90210" and other concerns that have popped up.

Personally, I welcome SGU with open arms. And it isn't because I will not miss SG1 and SGA. I will miss them I think there is a lot more territory to be covered in that show. Like finding the ZPM construction devices or making drones or ring transporters. SGU is just a extension of the Stargate Universe and any true and real fan would accept that and move on.

I remember when people yelled about TNG going away after a 7 year run, Voyager came out and I personally feel is was one of the best Trek shows out there because it explored unknown territory of both space and the human condition. And I feel that SGU will do that as well. (I am not calling SGU a clone of Voyager. so don't even bother bringing that up).

Just give SGU a chance and stop this frivolous boycotting crap. It isn't going to work. You have more people in favor of SGU then you do against it. Not to mention the hundreds of thousands of silent fans who aren't voicing there opinion because either they can't access Gateworld or they won't voice there opinion.

Also another Cliche. Money Talks and BS walks. Money is going to be the big voice. If they have companies willing to buy commercial time then SGU is a keeper. And if anyone wants the Stargate Franchise to continue and if you are true fans then watch the show, enjoy what they are giving you. Because this may very well be the end of the line. 3 series on the same Franchise. Almost unheard of.........

And as for the movies. They will continue making movies as long as people are willing to buy them. And I feel that is money well spent.

I agree with everything you've said. :D

silly sally
November 15th, 2008, 07:42 AM

Why should we thank them for the show? Watching them, buying the DVDs is thanks enough! It's not like they're doing it for charity! They're in it for the money...

bfldworker
November 15th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Why should we thank them for the show? Watching them, buying the DVDs is thanks enough! It's not like they're doing it for charity! They're in it for the money...

Perhaps. But one thing I have learned about Brad Wright and Robert Cooper is that they actually enjoy hearing feedback from the fans. If they didn't care do you honestly think that they would have addressed all the concerns people have had about SG1, SGA and SGU? I don't remember a single time that anyone from the Star Trek, Farscape, Battlestar Galactica camps addressing concerns of the fans....

silly sally
November 15th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Perhaps. But one thing I have learned about Brad Wright and Robert Cooper is that they actually enjoy hearing feedback from the fans. If they didn't care do you honestly think that they would have addressed all the concerns people have had about SG1, SGA and SGU? I don't remember a single time that anyone from the Star Trek, Farscape, Battlestar Galactica camps addressing concerns of the fans....

Actually they enjoy being praised for their work; they like to have some feed-back because they're shrewd business-men ("Know thy consumer" and all that) ;)

jenks
November 15th, 2008, 11:23 AM

Don't talk soft, you haven't even seen it.

Vala,

The logistics of making four movies a year has never been an issue, it's a case of will they sell or not. Four movies could well over saturate a relatively small fan base, and they wouldn't want that.

Crichiel
November 15th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Actually they enjoy being praised for their work; they like to have some feed-back because they're shrewd business-men ("Know thy consumer" and all that) ;)

Oh yes, how DARE they work hard and do their job well for over a decade and expect a 'Thank you! Good job." :rolleyes: Everyone knows you don't thank an employee! Their paycheck should be enough. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And as for SGU? I watch shows that have a storyline that interest me. IF the show is made by someone with a good track record (Joss Whedon, Brad Wright), I will give a show that doesn't necessarily appeal to me a decent shot.

Honestly, the storyline for SGU simply doesn't interest me, but I'll try it. And if I decide to stop watching, it will have nothing to do with my anger over them pulling the plug on SGA. I didn't really care about the plot for Sanctuary, but watched the first three episodes because I respect Martin Wood and Amanda Tapping and their work. The show isn't for me. End of story. Nothing personal behind my not watching any more, I just don't like the show. But I did go into it with an open mind and plan to do so with SGU as well.

cutietux
November 15th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I'd obviously rather have a series than a few movies, but I'd rather have movies than nothing at all. I would like SG-1 to come back, but that's not happening, so I'm hoping for at least a few more movies with our heroes.

bfldworker
November 15th, 2008, 08:35 PM

Unless you are part of the writing team, you can't say it is crap. The only people who know what the first episode is are TPTB. What I am seeing here are a bunch of people who are upset at Atlantis being canceled and people are so upset they are just lashing out uncontrollably.

the fifth man
November 15th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I'd say it would be a problem if there was no more Stargate.
Of course we can always watch our DVDs or the re-runs but missing out on new well made material because a bunch of annoyed fans decided not to watch Universe or the Movies would be a problem. ;)

Yes, that would be a problem. I will do my part to support the franchise, that is for sure.

Rise Of The Phoenix
November 16th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Yes, that would be a problem. I will do my part to support the franchise, that is for sure.

Me too, I buy the DVDs and I'm happy to do so for the franchise that I love.
If I don't like Universe then I won't watch it or buy the DVDs, but I, like everyone else with a rational way of thinking will at least give it a try, along with each of the movies coz if you don't then TPTB won't make any more new Stargate, they'll just sit back let the money come in from the shows and movies they've made previously.

Amaunet
November 17th, 2008, 03:02 PM
I don't think we should be boycotting anything, I doubt it would work...instead I predict that it would backfire and we'd end up with nothing. I'm thankful that we're getting movies and I'm happy that I have at least something to look forward to. I don’t necessarily agree with some things and at this point in time I’m not that interested in Universe (I’ll watch it if it comes to Australia) but I think its a ridiculous idea to boycott it...

kymeric
November 23rd, 2008, 05:27 PM
The fact is they don't though, even if every fan on this forum decided not to watch Universe the ratings would probably hardly be effected. The fans need a reality check, they're consumers, nothing more, and the sooner people realise that the better. Now it's everyone right to boycott whatever they like, but if you think boycotting the movies will bring back the series then you've got another thing coming. It's not a case of having movies or a series, it's a case of having the movies or nothing.

Well said, fans need to realize they dont own the shows they like. Theyre partaking of someone elses artistic product. And what this is amount to attacking their creative works and frankly makes me pretty pissed.

Im grateful to TPTB for the shows theyve given us, the good the bad and otherwise. Some people need to pull a stick out and loose the entitlement bs. That whole DO AS I SAY OR ILL RUIN YOU has no place in fandom.

When im God things will be changing around here ;)

Ikaros
November 25th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Unless i have misunderstood, "boycott" means "not watching" for whatever reasons.
Isn't that a choice we all have no matter what? In that sense, i am "boycotting" because i am quite angry with them and the way they treat their fanbase.
Off course it's THEIR franchise and they do as they wish with it.
But, isn't it only natural to turn your back on someone that ignores you or "takes you for granded" or doesn't respect you at all?
If Atlantis Movies do well they have no reason why they shouldn't make more. Of course they 'll make more. They don't need SGU to do well in order to keep making Atlantis and SG1 movies.I don't buy that!!!!

jenks
November 25th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Unless i have misunderstood, "boycott" means "not watching" for whatever reasons.
Isn't that a choice we all have no matter what? In that sense, i am "boycotting" because i am quite angry with them and the way they treat their fanbase.
Off course it's THEIR franchise and they do as they wish with it.
But, isn't it only natural to turn your back on someone that ignores you or "takes you for granded" or doesn't respect you at all?
If Atlantis Movies do well they have no reason why they shouldn't make more. Of course they 'll make more. They don't need SGU to do well in order to keep making Atlantis and SG1 movies.I don't buy that!!!!

No, a boycott is a tool used for achieving some sort of goal, it's not the same as just choosing not to watch for any old reason.

Ugly Pig
November 26th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I just can't believe this crap. Is stupidity somehow contagious among Stargate fans these days? It seems everywhere I look, people are chanting "Boycott SGU! It sucks" (despite they having NO way of knowing that yet, but that's not my point right now), and now this crap about boycotting the movies as well?

What the bloody hell for??

Oh, that's right... To get more Atlantis. :rolleyes: WTF? Seriously, how some people fail to see the logical flaw here is beyond my comprehension.

LET ME MAKE ONE THING VERY CLEAR:
Boycotting Stargate can ONLY lead to ONE possible outcome: LESS Stargate.
That's right. Even if your boycott is big enough to make a significant financial dent, it will never bring back Atlantis (or SG-1) as a series. What we get from now on will be SGU and movies. We can take it or leave it. There's no need for those who just aren't interested to watch it, of course, and that's fine. But if you think NOT watching these movies and SGU will somehow lead to more SGA or more Stargate, then you're a damn idiot. It is that simple.

bfldworker
November 26th, 2008, 07:40 PM
i just can't believe this crap. Is stupidity somehow contagious among stargate fans these days? It seems everywhere i look, people are chanting "boycott sgu! It sucks" (despite they having no way of knowing that yet, but that's not my point right now), and now this crap about boycotting the movies as well?

what the bloody hell for??

oh, that's right... To get more atlantis. :rolleyes: Wtf? Seriously, how some people fail to see the logical flaw here is beyond my comprehension.

Let me make one thing very clear:
boycotting stargate can only lead to one possible outcome: Less stargate.
that's right. Even if your boycott is big enough to make a significant financial dent, it will never bring back atlantis (or sg-1) as a series. What we get from now on will be sgu and movies. We can take it or leave it. There's no need for those who just aren't interested to watch it, of course, and that's fine. But if you think not watching these movies and sgu will somehow lead to more sga or more stargate, then you're a damn idiot. It is that simple.

amen brother!

Lythisrose
November 27th, 2008, 09:17 AM
I tried to support the franchise, in order to help support them continuing to make the series I like, Atlantis.
I bought the two SG1 movies, even though I have never watched them (I plan to sometime), I bought the box sets of Atlantis Seasons 1-4 and even ordered action figures (I know,this doesn't directly support the franchise).
Obviously it didn't work. They cancelled SGA anyway, despite relatively OK ratings. I realize boycotting SGU will not bring SGA or SG1 back, although I do appreciate some people not watching out of a sense of loyalty and feelings of betrayal. That is their right.
But from now on I will watch what I find interesting because it interests me, not because it is part of the Stargate franchise. I will watch/buy the SGA movie, may buy the SG1 movie, and will only watch Universe if they find some way to make it a good show for me to watch. From what I read so far, they haven't. But I'm open to revise my opinion.

beardrewz
December 5th, 2008, 10:38 PM
I know this thread says, say no to sg movies? well...

I think the movies are cool but stopping atlantis was a big mistake. Franchises need episodes, series. You know Bringing out another stargate series and not staying with atlantis is trouble and they will end up like star trek and before you know it..stargate will loose fans from the main stream because of new rushed shows. just look at Star Trek.

Its all about money and nothing else. you make more money on a single movie than a episode. Atlantis really needed another season or 2.

Willow'sCat
December 6th, 2008, 01:06 AM
But from now on I will watch what I find interesting because it interests me, not because it is part of the Stargate franchise. I will watch/buy the SGA movie, may buy the SG1 movie, and will only watch Universe if they find some way to make it a good show for me to watch. From what I read so far, they haven't. But I'm open to revise my opinion.
That is a very intelligent response to this whole situation. I am not sure I would go so far as to say I will try out SGU, but I think now we know SGA is definitely not coming back (movie aside) that we have to move on, and just sticking with something because it carries the SG name is kind of sad IMHO. I mean if Torchwood was as bad in series two as it was in series one... well I would have said bye bye to it, thankfully it much improved. ;):)

Also the Star Trek comments? Spot on. Rushing shows just 'cause you have offers on them is no way to make TV. Sure it is a way to make a quick buck *there I said it* but not good, quality TV. :cool:

Will I won't I watch the SGA movie.... oh I will watch it but whether I spend my hard erned on it is a whole other matter. :p

amconway
December 6th, 2008, 09:02 AM
What! You are either a fan of stargate or not - There is no point whatsoever in boycotting anything.
Part yes, part no. While you are right that there is no point in boycotting anything, you can easily be a fan of one series without being a fan of the other.

from now on I will watch what I find interesting because it interests me, not because it is part of the Stargate franchise.
That's the only reason you should ever watch anything. Since I do like the Stargate concept, and love SG-1, I will be giving SGU a chance, though, however disheartening I may find some of the early information. I suspect that I will buy the Atlantis movie, as well, since I don't want MGM to lose faith in the DVD movie idea-I really want more SG-1 movies.

ha'tak_
December 6th, 2008, 10:44 AM
I got to thinking about more SG direct-to-dvd movies coming down the pipeline and I wondered, what if the fan's just said "no"?

I liked Ark of Truth and Continuum was awesome but as we know the moment they axed Atlantis they went ahead and said "There'll be a movie" and who knows, maybe more than one.

Now, call me jaded and just angry but I don't want to trade off series-for-movies. The movies sadly aren't theatrical, no theater releases and they are barely long enough for a movie (both Ark and Continuum clocked in at what, 110-115 minutes, not counting credits?) that's only three episodes of content (44 minutes per episode without commercials).

I am, however on the side of the fans eager for Universe, I also fear that if it ends either early or at some point where they say "Ok, lets end the series and just continue it with a few movies", that's it they will just do the rest of Universe via dvd movies.

Food for thought

well they whould allways cancel the series and i think having a movie is better then not have a movie

Infinite-Possibilities
December 6th, 2008, 10:44 PM
I believe, simply put: if we say no, we get nothing.