This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Say No To SG Movies?

I got to thinking about more SG direct-to-dvd movies coming down the pipeline and I wondered, what if the fan's just said "no"?

I liked Ark of Truth and Continuum was awesome but as we know the moment they axed Atlantis they went ahead and said "There'll be a movie" and who knows, maybe more than one.

Now, call me jaded and just angry but I don't want to trade off series-for-movies. The movies sadly aren't theatrical, no theater releases and they are barely long enough for a movie (both Ark and Continuum clocked in at what, 110-115 minutes, not counting credits?) that's only three episodes of content (44 minutes per episode without commercials).

I am, however on the side of the fans eager for Universe, I also fear that if it ends either early or at some point where they say "Ok, lets end the series and just continue it with a few movies", that's it they will just do the rest of Universe via dvd movies.

So we can't save Atlantis as a series, despite emails, letters, phone calls and lemons, maybe we should vote with our wallets and purses. Take a stand. I think we have too, there isn't much science fiction left on tv these days, several series are ending, some getting canned before their time, and all we have left of Stargate is Universe and the mmo.

Food for thought

Originally posted by Mav View Post
    So we can't save Atlantis as a series, despite emails, letters, phone calls and lemons, maybe we should vote with our wallets and purses. Take a stand. I think we have too, there isn't much science fiction left on tv these days, several series are ending, some getting canned before their time, and all we have left of Stargate is Universe and the mmo.
    Right now you are not 'voting with your wallet' to save Atlantis as a series, but to save Atlantis as a franchise. The powers that be will not return SGA to a series format if the movies do poorly, they will simply not produce SGA anymore.

So while most people can agree they'd rather see a SGA season 6 then a movie or two; not buying the movies will only expedite Atlantis' end, rather then bring it back in a preferred format.

Comment

The good answer to your question is to boycott SGU.
      They have to understand that they have to respect the fans.

Comment

Originally posted by amarhys View Post
        The fact is they don't though, even if every fan on this forum decided not to watch Universe the ratings would probably hardly be effected. The fans need a reality check, they're consumers, nothing more, and the sooner people realise that the better. Now it's everyone right to boycott whatever they like, but if you think boycotting the movies will bring back the series then you've got another thing coming. It's not a case of having movies or a series, it's a case of having the movies or nothing.

Comment

Atlantis isn't coming back as a series, except it. Be thankful they are continuing with movies, most series don't see 100 episodes and they don't get movies to carry it on. To be fair, Atlantis was nearing it's end anyway. The storylines are starting to wrap up and it's a good time to end. Think of how many people complained, me being one of them, when they continued SG1 passed season 8, the show's natural end. I believe Atlantis is reaching it's natural end, and movies are perfect to wrap everything up. *sticks fingers in ears and ignores major plot point in the S5 midseason 2 parter* - Although another major enemy introduced a few seasons before didn't last long....

Sorry, rambling there, back to the point. Refusing to buy Atlantis movies or watch Universe will just kill the franchise, they won't bring Atlantis back as a series
          Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by amarhys View Post
            no you cant boycott universe because as much as i hate to say it atlantis wont come back and universe will probably be a good series and they will cancel that and then no more stargate
            Captain Simms

Comment

What! You are either a fan of stargate or not - There is no point whatsoever in boycotting anything.
              I will be watching and buying Universe and any other releases.

With no theatrical releases it means that there is more of a chance that there will be more because it would flop at the box office just like star trek did.

<snip>

If the fans want respect then respect the artisitc choices the producers make on your behalf and then feel free to criticise when it's been seen.
              Last edited by Skydiver; 13 November 2008, 05:43 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

This franchise has had a spectacular run, it has managed 15 seasons of content, an incredible feat. And now it is continuing on in the form of these dvd movies. All those who are fans should recognise how lucky they are that this franchise has been as productive as it has.

Comment

I'd prefer they make movies like Futurama is doing, long, movie-movies, with a storyline that ties intogether.

Go Green

Comment

Say 'no' to SG movies, thus destroying any chance of my ever seeing Daniel, Sam, Teal'c, and possibly Jack, again (not to mention those on SGA who I have also come to really enjoy)? Let me think about this for a nanosecond....uh, nope. I will take them any way I can get them. And be grateful for it.

Most shows I fall in love with are yanked after 4-6 episodes. Those lucky to last a season or two or three are then pulled with none of their executives caring one whit about the fans. The two movies we got have already proven to me that they do care about the fans and the franchise. So I, for one, will not complain.

Comment

Since I still want to see the characters of SG1 and SGA and the decision was made to cancel both shows, I will most certainly be wanting to watch the movies. It's better than not having anything at all!
                      sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

I for one am happy that the movies even exist! practically no shows have movies after the series ends! We should be grateful we even get that. I think that the fans should continue to support their SG-1 and SGA favorites in movie form, because like it our not, that's all there will be from now on. If you don't buy the movies then TPTB will stop making them it is as simple as that. Then we might as well kiss SG-1 and SGA goodbye for good. So I will continue to be grateful for the new SG-1 that I can still see immortalized in movie form and wish that also for SGA.
                        Plus people shouldn't boycott SGU until they have at least seen the pilot. Make your decision after that.

(EARTH 2 (pic below) another great series that got axed way before its time only had one season)
                        Gator

You're not the usual delivery boy..

"I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"

Comment

Now, I have nothing against anyone else's opinion. To each their own and I believe that fully. So, I'm just gonna give my opinion. Here goes.

In my own personal opinion, if we boycott Stargate, we lose it forever. And I would hate that. I loved the movies and can't wait for more. And I'm happy that Atlantis is being made into a movie. I hope it continues on for a time. And I'm pleased that they are going to movies. Even if they don't make it to the theatres. Doesn't bother me at all. DVD's are fine by me. I rarely go to the theatre anyway. I usually wait for movies to come out on DVD before I see them. I don't honestly have the time for the movies anymore. I would rather see them go to movies then never see them again at all. And I can't wait for SGU to come out.

And thats my own opinion. All I really have to say about it.
                          sigpic

Comment

I do not believe that boycotts are ever that influential.
                            And others are correct, even if it did have an impact, a boycott of the movies will only eliminate any chance of more SG-1 and SGA movies and I think the chances of more movies are slim enough already.

At this point I am not that interested in SGU but I DO NOT think there should be a boycott of SGU because I think:

1. It will not work
                            2. SG fans have the right to and will make their own choices to watch or not
                            3. Only gives the impression that SGA fans are disgruntled and TPTB are likely to ignore fans that are disgruntled.
                            4. Divides fans in their support, and right now fans need each other.

SO in my opinion one should find a more positive approach to support SGA other than boycotts of the movies or SGU.
                            Last edited by EdenSG; 13 November 2008, 07:11 PM.

Comment

As many have already said boycotting the movies will kill the franchise,.
                              As much as I was saddened to here that Atlantis the show was coming to an end and felt that it could have been carefully finished off with all the current story threads being rounded up nicely in another season how often does that actually happen in a television series?

I'm happy that it will live on any form, when you actually think with your head and not your heart it becomes clear that we're getting a brand new show, two movies (I know that the SG1 film hasn't quite been given the green light, but I expect it will happen after AoT and continuum being such a success ), possibly even more in the future and the game, so it actually is quite a lot and should Universe be as popular as SG1 and SGA then I think we'll probably get anywhere between 1 and 5 seasons.

The only things I'd like from Universe is for it to be as well made, acted and written as SG1 and SGA, I think those are pretty much what we can expect and the same holds true of any future projects TPTB undertake including the movies.

Comment

Working...
                              X