X-Men Origins : MAGNETO Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X-Men Origins : MAGNETO Discussion

Empire Online talked to "X-Men" films producer Lauren Shuler Donner, who talked a bit more about the Magneto spin-off. Here's a clip:

Details of the plot have remained vague thus far, but Shuler Donner was happy to tell us shed a little light on things. "We have a script on Magneto which is actually sort of Magneto and Charles Xavier," she said. 'It's Eric and Charles in their early, early years."

The site also mentions a synopsis that has been posted by Production Weekly, but that is an unconfirmed plot.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23641

Superhero Hype! got a chance to talk to David Goyer (The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, "Blade" films) on Thursday and learned from the filmmaker that the Magneto spin-off is in a holding pattern at the moment.

"I think they like the script and they're just waiting to see what happens with 'Wolverine,'" Goyer told us. "I don't think they would consider moving forward until the movie comes out."

Magneto will give us a look at the early life of Eric Lensherr and his friendship with Charles Xavier.

While we didn't learn anything new about a follow-up to The Dark Knight, Goyer did express his continued amazement at the film's success.

"If there was anything going on with the new Batman movie, I wouldn't tell you." [laughs] "'The Dark Knight'... the DVD just came out and did insane, again, and Heath just got a Golden Globe nomination and I think it's going to get some Academy Award nominations. And not just for Heath and not just for technical. I hope Chris gets a nomination. You look at it and it's actually one of the best reviewed films of the year. I think it would be cool to see a comic book movie make some headway in the Academy."

http://www.superherohype.com/news/x-mennews.php?id=7904

Comment

‘X-Men Origins: Magneto’ Plot Revealed??

The Geek Files department of the Coventry Telegraph received the official plot synopsis and here are some key parts:

Spoiler:
      “The original X-Men film began with a prologue that showed the character as a child being led to a concentration camp by Nazis and that is the period in which the Magneto film will take place. This setup will allow a future villain to at least flirt with the designation of protagonist since the character will be seen almost exclusively in his formative years.”

It sounds as if Magneto grows up to combat the Nazis and this story would definitely explain how he has come to hate and fear the idea of mutants being discriminated against as he and his family were in concentration camps as a child. The synopsis continues:

“The storyline will heavily involve Professor X, the wheelchair-using X-Men leader. That character was a soldier in the allied force that liberated the concentration camps. The professor meets Magneto after the war and while they bond over the realization that they are alike in their special powers, their differences soon turn them into enemies.”

Although digital re-aging was utilized in X-Men: The Last Stand to make Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart appear many years younger, the studio will have to use younger stars to play the two lead roles. My hopes are that the two actors still have a cameo or guest appearance in the film by including flash-forwards so we can see them and their relationship as they are older but before they split, as we saw in the flashback in X3: The Last Stand.

I like the idea but it’s far too early to say. Goyer, who wrote a draft of the script earlier this year is busy on other projects for the foreseeable future and Fox is completely focused on X-Men Origins: Wolverine at the moment. Apparently, Fox has no plans going forward for another X-Men or Fantastic Four film but does have interest in a Silver Surfer spinoff. The article explains that if that’s the case, they have to have it completed by 2012 because the film rights return to Marvel after that.

If that’s true, I’m excited. The more Marvel property under Marvel’s control, the better.

What do you think of a Magneto-centric film?

http://screenrant.com/plot-synopsis-...neto-rob-4210/

Comment

From that, I really like the sound of this film.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
          From that, I really like the sound of this film.
          Aye it sounds much better than the Wolverine origins movie.
          I believe among your people it is customary to shake hands....... Just a little Wraith humor

Sig thanks to geekywraith *big hugs*

Comment

Originally posted by WraithHumor View Post
            Aye it sounds much better than the Wolverine origins movie.
            Personally, I am pretty pumped about the new Wolverine movie. I think it looks pretty good. I just love that more X-Men stuff is being made.
            sigpic
            "...phu...ah..."

Comment

So wait, their saying that Xavier was in the army during WWII ???
              Visit my Website

Comment

Originally posted by ManiacMike View Post
                I could live with that.
                sigpic
                "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                  I could live with that.
                  Yeh me to, after all magneto and xavier did meet around the time of world war 2/just after it, when they fight the Nazi Baron Wolfgang von Strucker together. anyway the 90s x-men cartoon show Xavier in the army during flashbacks to meeting Magneto.

Comment

I don't remember them meeting in ww2? I could of sworn he was in the Korean war, not ww2. And that they met in the middle east in some hospital.

Then when they get back to USA they separate and make X-Men/Brotherhood.

Who knows, they might do something different than the origin movies than the 3 other movies (Sabertooth being his friend, to not knowing him in the movie).
                    Visit my Website

Comment

I don't remember them meeting in ww2? I could of sworn he was in the Korean war, not ww2. And that they met in the middle east in some hospital.

Then when they get back to USA they separate and make X-Men/Brotherhood.

Who knows, they might do something different than the origin movies than the 3 other movies (Sabertooth being his friend, to not knowing him in the movie).
                      well i wasnt to sure of when, so it could be korean was i guess. i just did some research an in Uncanny X-Men #161 is say that they meet in psychiatric hospital near Haifa, Israel

Comment

Magneto prequel still possible, depending on Wolverine

Producer Lauren Shuler Donner told SCI FI Wire that she's still eager to do a Magneto prequel film, though that will depend in part on how X-Men Origins: Wolverine performs.

What's the latest on Magneto?

Shuler Donner: I don't know. We have a great script. Honestly, we have all been just so focused on getting Wolverine out that we didn't take the time to sit down and explore "What are the movies we're going to do next within the genre?" We will do that. We will do that. We all want to. Magneto is a fantastic script, and hopefully we'll make it. I don't know.

How much will the reaction to Wolverine affect Magneto?

Shuler Donner: I think this is partly to do with it, yes. And then we have First Class, which is based on the X-Men comics' first class and is very literal to the title. It's the first class in Xavier's school. But that's just being written. I haven't even seen a first draft. And I'm producing that with Simon Kinberg

http://scifiwire.com/2009/04/magneto...-still-pos.php

Comment

I really hope that this Magneto movie eventually does get made. He has always been a favorite villain of mine.
                          sigpic
                          "...phu...ah..."

Comment

RUMOR: McTeigue Taking on Magneto

IMDB lists James McTeigue (V for Vendetta) as "in talks" to direct the movie from a script by David Goyer (Batman Begins) who was unable to direct due to his commitment to his The Invisible Man.

While Magneto has been the ugly step-child of the X-sequels, going from hot to "on hold" then seemingly being dropped in favor of teen oriented X-Men First Class. But now with the tremendous box office success of "Wolverine" all X-projects look to have been given the green light, and this includes X-Men Origins: Magneto.

20th Century Fox is now working on at least four X-movies: a Deadpool movie, a Wolverine sequel, X-Men trilogy prequel (X-Men: First Class), and X-Men Origins: Magneto.

X-Men Origins: Magneto will expand on Magneto's concentration camp beginnings, shown briefly in X-Men, and his fractious relationship with Charles Xavier. Producer Lauren Shuler Donner has called the script "fantastic."

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/x-men_...o/news/?a=7495

Comment

I am glad to see it moving ahead at last.
                              sigpic
                              "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Working...
                              X