PDA

View Full Version : X-Men Origins : MAGNETO Discussion

Madwelshboy
November 12th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Empire Online talked to "X-Men" films producer Lauren Shuler Donner, who talked a bit more about the Magneto spin-off. Here's a clip:

Details of the plot have remained vague thus far, but Shuler Donner was happy to tell us shed a little light on things. "We have a script on Magneto which is actually sort of Magneto and Charles Xavier," she said. 'It's Eric and Charles in their early, early years."

The site also mentions a synopsis that has been posted by Production Weekly, but that is an unconfirmed plot.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23641

Madwelshboy
December 12th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Superhero Hype! got a chance to talk to David Goyer (The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, "Blade" films) on Thursday and learned from the filmmaker that the Magneto spin-off is in a holding pattern at the moment.

"I think they like the script and they're just waiting to see what happens with 'Wolverine,'" Goyer told us. "I don't think they would consider moving forward until the movie comes out."

Magneto will give us a look at the early life of Eric Lensherr and his friendship with Charles Xavier.

While we didn't learn anything new about a follow-up to The Dark Knight, Goyer did express his continued amazement at the film's success.

"If there was anything going on with the new Batman movie, I wouldn't tell you." [laughs] "'The Dark Knight'... the DVD just came out and did insane, again, and Heath just got a Golden Globe nomination and I think it's going to get some Academy Award nominations. And not just for Heath and not just for technical. I hope Chris gets a nomination. You look at it and it's actually one of the best reviewed films of the year. I think it would be cool to see a comic book movie make some headway in the Academy."

http://www.superherohype.com/news/x-mennews.php?id=7904

Madwelshboy
February 17th, 2009, 01:51 AM
‘X-Men Origins: Magneto’ Plot Revealed??

The Geek Files department of the Coventry Telegraph received the official plot synopsis and here are some key parts:

“The original X-Men film began with a prologue that showed the character as a child being led to a concentration camp by Nazis and that is the period in which the Magneto film will take place. This setup will allow a future villain to at least flirt with the designation of protagonist since the character will be seen almost exclusively in his formative years.”

It sounds as if Magneto grows up to combat the Nazis and this story would definitely explain how he has come to hate and fear the idea of mutants being discriminated against as he and his family were in concentration camps as a child. The synopsis continues:

“The storyline will heavily involve Professor X, the wheelchair-using X-Men leader. That character was a soldier in the allied force that liberated the concentration camps. The professor meets Magneto after the war and while they bond over the realization that they are alike in their special powers, their differences soon turn them into enemies.”

Although digital re-aging was utilized in X-Men: The Last Stand to make Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart appear many years younger, the studio will have to use younger stars to play the two lead roles. My hopes are that the two actors still have a cameo or guest appearance in the film by including flash-forwards so we can see them and their relationship as they are older but before they split, as we saw in the flashback in X3: The Last Stand.

I like the idea but it’s far too early to say. Goyer, who wrote a draft of the script earlier this year is busy on other projects for the foreseeable future and Fox is completely focused on X-Men Origins: Wolverine at the moment. Apparently, Fox has no plans going forward for another X-Men or Fantastic Four film but does have interest in a Silver Surfer spinoff. The article explains that if that’s the case, they have to have it completed by 2012 because the film rights return to Marvel after that.

If that’s true, I’m excited. The more Marvel property under Marvel’s control, the better.

What do you think of a Magneto-centric film?

http://screenrant.com/plot-synopsis-x-men-origins-magneto-rob-4210/

the fifth man
February 17th, 2009, 07:31 PM
From that, I really like the sound of this film.

WraithHumor
February 18th, 2009, 02:31 AM
From that, I really like the sound of this film.

Aye it sounds much better than the Wolverine origins movie.

the fifth man
February 21st, 2009, 07:26 PM
Aye it sounds much better than the Wolverine origins movie.

Personally, I am pretty pumped about the new Wolverine movie. I think it looks pretty good. I just love that more X-Men stuff is being made.

ManiacMike
February 22nd, 2009, 04:34 PM
So wait, their saying that Xavier was in the army during WWII ??? :mckay:

the fifth man
February 22nd, 2009, 06:24 PM

I could live with that.

Madwelshboy
February 23rd, 2009, 12:07 AM

I could live with that.

Yeh me to, after all magneto and xavier did meet around the time of world war 2/just after it, when they fight the Nazi Baron Wolfgang von Strucker together. anyway the 90s x-men cartoon show Xavier in the army during flashbacks to meeting Magneto.

ManiacMike
February 23rd, 2009, 01:12 AM
I don't remember them meeting in ww2? I could of sworn he was in the Korean war, not ww2. And that they met in the middle east in some hospital.

Then when they get back to USA they separate and make X-Men/Brotherhood.

Who knows, they might do something different than the origin movies than the 3 other movies (Sabertooth being his friend, to not knowing him in the movie).

Madwelshboy
February 23rd, 2009, 01:26 AM
I don't remember them meeting in ww2? I could of sworn he was in the Korean war, not ww2. And that they met in the middle east in some hospital.

Then when they get back to USA they separate and make X-Men/Brotherhood.

Who knows, they might do something different than the origin movies than the 3 other movies (Sabertooth being his friend, to not knowing him in the movie).

well i wasnt to sure of when, so it could be korean was i guess. i just did some research an in Uncanny X-Men #161 is say that they meet in psychiatric hospital near Haifa, Israel

Madwelshboy
April 22nd, 2009, 12:34 PM
Magneto prequel still possible, depending on Wolverine

Producer Lauren Shuler Donner told SCI FI Wire that she's still eager to do a Magneto prequel film, though that will depend in part on how X-Men Origins: Wolverine performs.

What's the latest on Magneto?

Shuler Donner: I don't know. We have a great script. Honestly, we have all been just so focused on getting Wolverine out that we didn't take the time to sit down and explore "What are the movies we're going to do next within the genre?" We will do that. We will do that. We all want to. Magneto is a fantastic script, and hopefully we'll make it. I don't know.

How much will the reaction to Wolverine affect Magneto?

Shuler Donner: I think this is partly to do with it, yes. And then we have First Class, which is based on the X-Men comics' first class and is very literal to the title. It's the first class in Xavier's school. But that's just being written. I haven't even seen a first draft. And I'm producing that with Simon Kinberg

http://scifiwire.com/2009/04/magneto-prequel-still-pos.php

the fifth man
April 22nd, 2009, 07:02 PM
I really hope that this Magneto movie eventually does get made. He has always been a favorite villain of mine.

Madwelshboy
May 13th, 2009, 09:34 AM
RUMOR: McTeigue Taking on Magneto

IMDB lists James McTeigue (V for Vendetta) as "in talks" to direct the movie from a script by David Goyer (Batman Begins) who was unable to direct due to his commitment to his The Invisible Man.

While Magneto has been the ugly step-child of the X-sequels, going from hot to "on hold" then seemingly being dropped in favor of teen oriented X-Men First Class. But now with the tremendous box office success of "Wolverine" all X-projects look to have been given the green light, and this includes X-Men Origins: Magneto.

20th Century Fox is now working on at least four X-movies: a Deadpool movie, a Wolverine sequel, X-Men trilogy prequel (X-Men: First Class), and X-Men Origins: Magneto.

X-Men Origins: Magneto will expand on Magneto's concentration camp beginnings, shown briefly in X-Men, and his fractious relationship with Charles Xavier. Producer Lauren Shuler Donner has called the script "fantastic."

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/x-men_movies/x-men_origins_magneto/news/?a=7495

the fifth man
May 13th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I am glad to see it moving ahead at last.

Alan Wake
May 13th, 2009, 07:08 PM
20th Century Fox is now working on at least four X-movies: a Deadpool movie, a Wolverine sequel, X-Men trilogy prequel (X-Men: First Class), and X-Men Origins: Magneto.

Anyone else agree, kinda an overkill? Do we really need this much?

Madwelshboy
May 13th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Anyone else agree, kinda an overkill? Do we really need this much?

Its not anymore than marvel studios themselves are doing with, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America and The Avengers.

the fifth man
May 14th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Its not anymore than marvel studios themselves are doing with, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America and The Avengers.

That is true. We are just living in the age of comic movies now.

Madwelshboy
June 1st, 2009, 08:21 AM
Is Singer Going To Helm X-Men Origins: Magneto?

It sounds like Singer wishes he had stayed with the X franchise instead of jumping ship. After all the bomb that Superman Returns was almost ruined Singer's career. During an interview with Total Film Singer was asked did you want to stay on the X franchise? To which Singer replied: "before I was watching it, during watching it, after watching it."

Recently Laura Donner Schuler has expressed interest in Singer returning to the franchise to direct X-Men Origins: Magneto. Singer is at least interested in doing it as he explains "I'm eternally intertwined with X-Men now. What takes an audience four hours to watch -- the first two movies -- took six years of my life. So, to not be part of it...It's a shame." The only thing that concerns me about Magneto is that if the prequel were to follow the track I used in X-Men, which is Magneto's history in the concentration camp, then I've lived in that work," states Singer. "I just might need to take a little break before I do something like that."

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/LetsCutTheBS/news/?a=7775

the fifth man
June 1st, 2009, 07:21 PM
That would be great if he ends up directing this movie.

Madwelshboy
June 20th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Which X-Men Movie is Next?

With X-Men Origins: Wolverine having already pulled in $356.2 million worldwide, and both a sequel and Deadpool spin-off in the works, we were wondering what the status of the other "X-Men" spin-offs was.

Today, we got a chance to talk to David Goyer, who's executive producing ABC's upcoming "Flash Forward" and whose The Unborn hits DVD and Blu-ray on July 7. Goyer has been attached to write and direct Magneto, but he's not sure if that will move forward before X-Men: First Class.

"There have been some preliminary discussions," he told us about Magneto, adding, "I think, at Fox, they're trying to decide if making a young X-Men film makes the most sense next, does making a 'Magneto' make the most sense next. They're just trying to decide internally who's next up."

http://www.superherohype.com/news/x-mennews.php?id=8442

the fifth man
June 20th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I really hope this movie is next up.

Madwelshboy
June 20th, 2009, 11:31 PM
I really hope this movie is next up.

I dont see, why they just dont put both Magneto and Frist Class into full production, since they have both been longer in development than Wolverine 2 and Deadpool. Aim for a 2011/2012 release date for both which leaves 2013/2014 for the others. If one of them dose come out in 2011/2012, that will be a busy 2 years for comic book movies!

the fifth man
June 21st, 2009, 06:44 PM
I dont see, why they just dont put both Magneto and Frist Class into full production, since they have both been longer in development than Wolverine 2 and Deadpool. Aim for a 2011/2012 release date for both which leaves 2013/2014 for the others. If one of them dose come out in 2011/2012, that will be a busy 2 years for comic book movies!

I totally agree with that. But in the end, we will just have to wait and see. And as long as they are good, the more comic book movies the better IMO.:D

Sp!der
June 22nd, 2009, 09:23 AM
Never really read the comics, cause im not that comic-reading guy ;). But I Really enjoyed all three original x-men movies and the origins: wolverine flick. Magneto, Wolverine and Xavier were always my favorite mutants in the movies (along with Kurt wagner ;) ) So I hope they are making X:Men Origins: Magneto movie first and other origins movies could be interesting. This X-Men: First Class thing is a bit early IMO. That could wait another 4-5 years.

Madwelshboy
June 22nd, 2009, 10:00 AM
This X-Men: First Class thing is a bit early IMO. That could wait another 4-5 years.

I'm not sure what you mean by "a bit early", but i can understand why First Class would be more appealing to go ahead first over Magneto. Magneto is going to be a period piece, and likely more character based than action. While First Class would be a bit more action based and have more of a general blockbuster appeal. But like I said before both should go into production at the same time, with First Class released during the summer blockbuster period and Magneto at a quieter time of year to maximise its audience.

the fifth man
June 23rd, 2009, 06:36 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "a bit early", but i can understand why First Class would be more appealing to go ahead first over Magneto. Magneto is going to be a period piece, and likely more character based than action. While First Class would be a bit more action based and have more of a general blockbuster appeal. But like I said before both should go into production at the same time, with First Class released during the summer blockbuster period and Magneto at a quieter time of year to maximise its audience.

Sounds like a decent plan to me.:)

Angela V
June 23rd, 2009, 07:05 PM
I hope if they do do this movie it follows the comic book origins because those stories are excellent. I'll have to dig them out and re read them.

the fifth man
June 23rd, 2009, 07:19 PM
Seeing the story of Magneto throughout a whole movie is going to be so great.

Madwelshboy
August 24th, 2009, 08:28 AM
EXCLUSIVE: David Goyer Expects 'X-Men Origins: Magneto' To Move Forward 'In The Next Year'

Goyer spoke with MTV News about the long rumored "X-Men Origins: Magneto" project, and while the filmmaker acknowledged its prospects, he also mentioned that "Magneto" is just one in a long line of potential X-films.

"They're still thinking about doing it," Goyer revealed to MTV News. "They're definitely looking into doing other X-Men spinoffs."

While "X-Men Origins: Magneto" has yet to progress that far, Goyer felt confident that the movie would pick up speed shortly.

"I've been in touch with them," he said. "I'm sure that project will move forward in the next year or so."

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/08/24/exclusive-david-goyer-expects-x-men-origins-magneto-to-move-forward-in-the-next-year/

AlbinoMonkeyC
August 24th, 2009, 02:31 PM
I've been excited about since I first heard that they were making them.

Madwelshboy
September 21st, 2009, 09:20 AM
Magneto
Release Date: Possibly 2011
Development Status: Magneto has long been expected to be the second X-Men character to receive a spinoff movie after Wolverine. Reports have consistently indicated that the film would be set long before the other X-Men films and focus on a younger Magneto and his troubled friendship with Charles Xavier. It's expected that at least some of the movie will be set during Magneto's time as a concentration camp prisoner, a period that was briefly shown in the first X-Men movie.

Other than benign reports of confirmation that the project is still underway at 20th Century Fox, not much has been revealed about a Magneto movie lately. The most promising sign this year came from screenwriter David Goyer, who believes Magneto will begin filming at some point within the next year.

No casting choices have been announced. Some have theorized that the same CG techniques used to portray a younger Magneto and Xavier in X-Men: The Last Stand will be reused, meaning Ian McKellan could conceivably reprise his role for a fourth time. However, it seems more likely that a younger actor will be brought in to keep effects costs to a minimum.

Magneto will likely happen sooner or later, but as to whether it becomes the next X-Men film out of the gate, we're beginning to have our doubts.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Poniverse/news/?a=10199

the fifth man
September 22nd, 2009, 06:36 PM
As long as this movie does get made, I can wait a little while.

Madwelshboy
September 23rd, 2009, 12:21 AM
Hood: 'I'd love to direct Magneto film'

Gavin Hood has admitted that he is interested in directing X-Men spinoff film Magneto.

Batman Begins writer David Goyer was previously announced to helm the mutant superhero project that will reunite Sir Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart from the original trilogy.

However, X-Men Origins: Wolverine filmmaker Hood said that he would gladly take over the production, should that not come to pass.

He told MTV: "I think the character of Magneto is still a phenomenally interesting character. Absolutely, if I was asked I'd take an interest."

He added: "He's certainly a very interesting character - one rooted in childhood trauma and psychologically complex - and one that was superbly played by Ian McKellen.

"There are certain characters in the X-Men universe whose psychological life is strong and fascinating and complex. I think that's why they're appealing to audiences."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a178653/hood-id-love-to-direct-magneto-film.html

Saquist
September 23rd, 2009, 07:45 AM
‘X-Men Origins: Magneto’ Plot Revealed??

The Geek Files department of the Coventry Telegraph received the official plot synopsis and here are some key parts:

“The original X-Men film began with a prologue that showed the character as a child being led to a concentration camp by Nazis and that is the period in which the Magneto film will take place. This setup will allow a future villain to at least flirt with the designation of protagonist since the character will be seen almost exclusively in his formative years.”

It sounds as if Magneto grows up to combat the Nazis and this story would definitely explain how he has come to hate and fear the idea of mutants being discriminated against as he and his family were in concentration camps as a child. The synopsis continues:

“The storyline will heavily involve Professor X, the wheelchair-using X-Men leader. That character was a soldier in the allied force that liberated the concentration camps. The professor meets Magneto after the war and while they bond over the realization that they are alike in their special powers, their differences soon turn them into enemies.”

Although digital re-aging was utilized in X-Men: The Last Stand to make Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart appear many years younger, the studio will have to use younger stars to play the two lead roles. My hopes are that the two actors still have a cameo or guest appearance in the film by including flash-forwards so we can see them and their relationship as they are older but before they split, as we saw in the flashback in X3: The Last Stand.

I like the idea but it’s far too early to say. Goyer, who wrote a draft of the script earlier this year is busy on other projects for the foreseeable future and Fox is completely focused on X-Men Origins: Wolverine at the moment. Apparently, Fox has no plans going forward for another X-Men or Fantastic Four film but does have interest in a Silver Surfer spinoff. The article explains that if that’s the case, they have to have it completed by 2012 because the film rights return to Marvel after that.

If that’s true, I’m excited. The more Marvel property under Marvel’s control, the better.

What do you think of a Magneto-centric film?

http://screenrant.com/plot-synopsis-x-men-origins-magneto-rob-4210/

Sounds decent. Magnus is my favorite character of all time.

reddevil18
September 23rd, 2009, 11:13 PM
I've lost any and all hope in regards to the X-Men franchise. Fox have royally screwed it up and I pray to God the rights revert to Marvel.

AlbinoMonkeyC
September 24th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I've lost any and all hope in regards to the X-Men franchise. Fox have royally screwed it up and I pray to God the rights revert to Marvel.

Or that Marvel buys itself out of Disney's clutches.

the fifth man
September 24th, 2009, 06:50 PM

Personally, I don't think they have screwed anything up. I am a big fan of the comics from back in the day, and the movies they have made to date.

Madwelshboy
September 25th, 2009, 12:33 AM

That wont happen not anytime soon.

reddevil18
September 26th, 2009, 04:53 AM
That wont happen not anytime soon.I wouldn't be too sure. If they go ahead with one of the spin-offs, such as Magneto or Deadpool, they won't be big hits. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see them fail in similar fashion to Elektra. And with Disney now in the equation, and as such, more financial power, I wouldn't be surprised to see Fox give up the rights in exchange for cash and possibly a cut of the profit(like 5%) for any upcoming movies.

ManiacMike
September 26th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Deadpool and Magneto has such a big fan base that people will go to see it just because of the name.

We wont have to worry about Disney effecting magneto, deadpool, thor, captain america or the avenger movies.

reddevil18
September 27th, 2009, 01:50 AM
I actually don't see why people are worried about Disney "affecting" Marvel at all...
Even discounting the fact that the Marvel Studios boss is looking like the favorite to take over the lead at Disney itself, this move is purely about money. Marvel, as is, sells. Disney knows that pussyfying the characters will mean less money from devoted fans. Even younger audiences coming in to replace them won't be enough.

I'm actually looking at this thing as a positive. Within a few years, they'll have all the characters back and build one massive continuity.

It's funny when I see something like "We wont have to worry about Disney effecting magneto, deadpool". Fox have completely ruined the franchise and every single superhero flick they've done except for X2 and, to a lesser extent, X1, has been horrible. Forget about the movies being (dis)loyal to the material. They flat-out sucked, as movies, not (just) adaptations. IMO, Disney and Marvel getting the characters back could only be a good thing.

As for Thor and Captain America...at least one of them will crash and burn in an extremely overcrowded 2011 market. Cap may yet be saved if they move it ahead a few weeks, to the 4th of July week(Paramount already has the spot locked for Transformers 3, but that will be moved to 2012). But Thor is pretty much DOA, with the way May 2011 looks. And if both fail, after the way Hulk played out, will Marvel want to risk an Avengers movie that will be carried solely by Iron Man?

You need to remember something - Paramount is simply a distribution partner. They have no creative control over the movies. Marvel Studios has been self-financing and has had complete control over the movies. If, right now, Disney wanted to interfere, they could have Bambi showing up in all of those movies, especially since they haven't started shooting any of them. It's just that it wouldn't be a Buena Vista release, but a Paramount one.

Confessor Rahl
September 27th, 2009, 09:44 AM
In response to Singer's above comment, a Magneto Origins movie would not necessarily revolve around the concentration camp. That could even be a very minimal part of the flick, like the flashbacks to Wolverine's childhood was in Origins. After all, he was a young boy and the origins movie can't have him as a boy for the whole movie.

the fifth man
September 27th, 2009, 06:34 PM
In response to Singer's above comment, a Magneto Origins movie would not necessarily revolve around the concentration camp. That could even be a very minimal part of the flick, like the flashbacks to Wolverine's childhood was in Origins. After all, he was a young boy and the origins movie can't have him as a boy for the whole movie.

Agreed! We'll maybe get 15 or so minutes spent in the concentration camp.

Madwelshboy
October 6th, 2009, 01:39 AM
McTeigue denies 'Magneto' movie role

James McTeigue has said that claims that he might co-direct X-Men Origins: Magneto are just rumours.

However, the filmmaker, who has been touted to helm the next Superman movie, hinted that he would be interested in taking on the project, to which Batman Begins writer David Goyer is currently attached.

IMDB currently lists McTeigue and Goyer as directors on the mutant superhero project, set to reunite Sir Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart from the original trilogy.

McTeigue told FirstShowing.net: "I think David Goyer would probably be surprised about that, actually.

"I think that's just one of those rumours that kind of starts... Until he drops out!"

X-Men Origins: Wolverine director Gavin Hood has also expressed his interest in helming the spinoff film.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/comics/a180279/mcteigue-denies-magneto-movie-role.html

Madwelshboy
October 18th, 2009, 02:47 AM
X-Men Movie Franchise Updates

Empire interviewed X-Producer Lauren Shuler Donner and got some detailed news on what's in store for the coming X-Men franchise...

On Magneto

"David Goyer has written a brilliant script. It starts in the concentration camps and has Magneto coming out of there. But you know, I'm not sure that film is going to be made. The studio has a wealth of potential stories, and they have to stand back and decide which ones to make. And Magneto, I think, is at the back of the queue. Maybe it'll get made in five years - who knows? I can tell you that Ian McKellen won't be playing the character the whole way through. We used Lola technology in X-Men 3 to de-age Ian and Patrick for one scene, but it's very expensive. To do that for a two-hour movie would be prohibitive financially. And to find a younger actor to fill Ian's shoes, that's pretty daunting. It's not easy."

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/x-men_movies/news/?a=11017

huntress
October 18th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Yeh me to, after all magneto and xavier did meet around the time of world war 2/just after it, when they fight the Nazi Baron Wolfgang von Strucker together. anyway the 90s x-men cartoon show Xavier in the army during flashbacks to meeting Magneto.

Actually Charles and Erik met in Israel. Charles was in love with Gabrielle Haller who later became the mother of the mutant Legion, when he met Erik in a hospital.

Kick-Kinsey
October 26th, 2009, 05:12 AM

Captain Picard = Nazi

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/a/a2/Picard_hitit.jpg

Madwelshboy
November 15th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Magneto Solo Movie Put on the Back Burner

According to recent comments made by X-Men producer Lauren Shuler Donner, Magneto's solo venture is far from becoming a reality. She said that, while Goyer's script is "brilliant," the chances of the movie actually making it to theaters are dwindling. Apparently it's the lowest rung of an X-Men ladder that already consists of a Wolverine sequel, a Deadpool spin off and anX-Men: First Class origin story.

Scribe David Goyer has an abundance of prospective comic book movies on his agenda including Ghost Rider 2, Supermax(the Green Arrow version) and a fan awaited sequel to The Dark Knight. Not to mention the ABC TV series Flashforward that he is overseeing. So what is his take on the Magneto Origins movie he wrote the script for?

In an interview with MTV News, Goyer said "I tend to agree with her, [Fox is] still trying to figure out what they want to do, whether or not they'll do a different 'X-Men' movie next or another 'Wolverine' movie next. If they want to make 'Magneto,' that's awesome. In the meantime, I'm just going to move on with my other projects."

If the Magneto movie was pushed up on the Fox agenda, would Goyer mind the studio involving another writer? "Even taking 'FlashForward' aside, I'm booked up for another year and a half," he said. "I have no complaints".

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Poniverse/news/?a=11785

Replicator Todd
November 15th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I really don't another Wolverine centered movie....

the fifth man
November 15th, 2009, 06:47 PM
That really sucks!:( I was hoping to see this movie made.

Madwelshboy
December 22nd, 2009, 02:36 AM
Singer's 'First Class' to supersede 'Magneto'

Bryan Singer has claimed that his X-Men: First Class film will replace the planned Magneto prequel.

The director, who signed a deal to return to the superhero series last week, suggested to The Hollywood Reporter that his project's overlap with Magneto could mean that David Goyer's movie gets put on the back-burner.

"This story would probably utilise some of the Magneto story because it deals with a young Magneto, so it might supersede that because this would explore that relationship between a young energetic professor and a disenfranchised victim of the Holocaust," Singer explained.

The filmmaker said that he does not believe another X-Men movie, the franchise's fifth, will exhaust the Marvel characters on screen.

"I don't see an exhaustion. The X-Men universe is boundless," he added. "These are great characters. And as young characters, they are quite different than the characters we have seen in the contemporary movies."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a192425/singers-first-class-to-supersede-magneto.html

Replicator Todd
December 22nd, 2009, 07:50 AM
*sigh* Well at least its Bryan Singer, but I was really hoping for Magneto.

the fifth man
December 22nd, 2009, 06:20 PM
*sigh* Well at least its Bryan Singer, but I was really hoping for Magneto.

Indeed! On both counts.

nx01a
December 22nd, 2009, 06:30 PM
I was unsure about the box office pull of a Magneto movie. His story's great as extra story filler or a comic miniseries, but the tale of a Holocaust survivor who develops superpowers always seemed a bit too tenuous for Hollywood to do more than spec script it.
Doing Eric's story in terms of his and Charles' history with the formation of the X-Men and Eric's ultimate betrayal [and crippling] of Charles is far better, I think. And, I say shamelessly, filled with far more fireworks. If I need a Magneto: Nazi-Hunter story, I'll rewatch the brilliant 'Apt Pupil'.;)
X-Men: First Class can happily and easily cover young everyone! Young Magneto, young Xavier, young etc.