PDA

View Full Version : Universe will have a 3-hour premiere...

SGFerrit
November 12th, 2008, 05:19 AM
...According to Joe Mallozzi:

Our second order of business was providing notes for episode #1. Brad and Rob did a terrific job of kicking things off in thrilling fashion. The script is fast-paced and fun; its characters unique and engaging. My favorite: Dr. David Rush. Oh, he’s going to be a handful. Originally planned as a two-parter, Brad and Robert quickly discovered that there was simply too much story for such a tight frame, so the series opener is now looking like a three-parter.

Tomorrow, we discuss Brad’s first story following the big three-part opener, establish some of the big picture storylines and arcs we’d like to pursue over the course of the show’s first 20 episodes, and then start breaking Carl’s story.

Link (http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/11/11/november-11-2008-spinning-stargte-universe-day-one/)

I think it's a good idea. If they don't think they can fit the whole thing into 2 hours, then it's best not to rush it. Should hopefully give the series an epic start.

Serebii
November 12th, 2008, 05:52 AM
...According to Joe Mallozzi:

Link (http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/11/11/november-11-2008-spinning-stargte-universe-day-one/)

I think it's a good idea. If they don't think they can fit the whole thing into 2 hours, then it's best not to rush it. Should hopefully give the series an epic start.
Don't forget that the pilots for SG-1 and what would have been SG:Command (Season 9 of SG1) were both three parters so its not unprecedented :)

SuperG
November 12th, 2008, 05:53 AM
You mean 3 scifichannel hour That's 3* 43 = 129min so a tad more then 2 hours.
Not very special. I rather see a pilot movie from netto 3 hours
Just call a a serrie start with a 3 parter. With a pilot epp off 43 netto min. with a cliffhanger. end then the Will be Continued.

Atlantis have severel eps wich are a full strory spread over 5 eps.

SGFerrit
November 12th, 2008, 06:04 AM
1.I thought CoTG was a 2 parter, same as Rising?:confused:

2. What the hell are you talking about Netto for? It's still better than the 2 hour premiere we were expecting, and it shows that they aren't trying to rush things.

Stormtrooper
November 12th, 2008, 06:06 AM

Yeah, cos it's not like we don't know what will follow the "epic start"... If SGU were going to be written properly, there would be no need for two-parters and three-parters, cos each episode would be relevant to the overall storyline. Just goes to show SGU will also be infested with rehashed filler episodes. Somethings never change.

Naonak
November 12th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Yeah, cos it's not like we don't know what will follow the "epic start"... If SGU were going to be written properly, there would be no need for two-parters and three-parters, cos each episode would be relevant to the overall storyline. Just goes to show SGU will also be infested with rehashed filler episodes. Somethings never change.
:rolleyes: Hardly - Lost and BSG both have two- and three-parters, just to give two examples of heavily arc-based shows.

And anyway, seriously, standalone episode =/= pointless filler.

SGFerrit
November 12th, 2008, 06:16 AM
:sigh:. BSG still has two parters. This does not mean they will have as many stand alone episodes as Atlantis, and to say that just because it will have a 3 part premiere is stupid and you know it. It may very well have lots of stand alone episodes, but that has nothing to do with how long the opener is.

Edit: What Naonak said.

November 12th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Don't forget that the pilots for SG-1 and what would have been SG:Command (Season 9 of SG1) were both three parters so its not unprecedented :)

that's true and a similar point to what i would have made, although in both cases, the first 2 were the true pilot, then the 3rd ep was more of a FYI ep, filling in gaps of information left out in the 2 parter. what is unprecedented is the fact it will be 3 episode pilot, rather than a 3 episode introduction.

Madwelshboy
November 12th, 2008, 06:22 AM

1.I thought CoTG was a 2 parter, same as Rising?:confused:

Serebii is referning to the fact that Children of the Gods & The Enemy Within and Avalon & Origin are both essentially 3 parters.

I agree that it will allow a much more detailed introduction to the series, rather an compersing it into 2 hours

Inquisitor
November 12th, 2008, 06:26 AM
3 parters rule;

what I mean is,

it allows new fans to develop as the get hooked it, if it's good enough!

Stormtrooper
November 12th, 2008, 06:50 AM
:rolleyes: Hardly - Lost and BSG both have two- and three-parters, just to give two examples of heavily arc-based shows.

:sigh:. BSG still has two parters. This does not mean they will have as many stand alone episodes as Atlantis, and to say that just because it will have a 3 part premiere is stupid and you know it. It may very well have lots of stand alone episodes, but that has nothing to do with how long the opener is.

Edit: What Naonak said.

Some people are so naive :rolleyes: Out of SGU's 20 episodes, about 7 (1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 19 and 20) will be relevant to the overall story. Kinda makes you wonder why Stargate shows don't have 13 episodes per season... Lost and similar shows do have two-parters and three-parters (more like two-hour/three-hour episodes, actually), but, as you said, such shows deal with their respective stories 20+ episodes per season. That's not what we have experienced with Stargate. In fact, SG writers only come forward with this two-parter/three-parter talk when they feel compelled to use their brains to write something relatively new and relevant to the show, something they should do 20 episodes per season, but they don't.

Serebii
November 12th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Why must everything be arc based nowadays for people to not ***** (although if they do they will then ***** that it is)

Some of the best SG1 episodes are standalones which dont push the story forward so to speak

November 12th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Why must everything be arc based nowadays for people to not ***** (although if they do they will then ***** that it is)

Some of the best SG1 episodes are standalones which dont push the story forward so to speak

i agree, some of SG-1s best eps were standalone, especially in the early years, however SGU looks to me, like it would benefit from being arc based from the character side, with only a reletively small cast i think that is necessary, hoever the fact the destiny is always moving will mean one offs will be the staple. and i'm looking forward to a nice mixture of arc and standalones.

nx01a
November 12th, 2008, 08:56 AM
@ Sblade...
I've always thought that cutting a 20 or 25 episode show down to 13 episodes would force writers and producers to only film the best episodes. I hate seeing filler just because you've got a quota to fill. Only do as many shows as necessary to tell the story and work any 'really cool' ideas you have into those stories, don't force them to sink/swim as stand alone episodes with no bearing to the greater whole.

sinfuldraconis
November 12th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I thought the SGU pilot was supposed to air as a 2 hour movie before the season even started officially? How's that going to work if they have it as 3 hours?

jenks
November 12th, 2008, 09:38 AM
I thought the SGU pilot was supposed to air as a 2 hour movie before the season even started officially? How's that going to work if they have it as 3 hours?

The same way?

Skydiver
November 12th, 2008, 09:47 AM
cotg was a two parter, as was Rising

and, for that matter, sanctuary's television premiere was a 2 parter.

2 part - 2 broadcast hours - premieres aren't quite all that rare.

y'all do realize that, if 3 of the 20 episodes are aired in one night then you only get a total of 18 weeks of programming? Because there will only be 17 more episodes

You're not getting more episodes, you're just getting part of them in one huge chunk

as to the idea that they're gonna have - let's pretend with ddates here- a 2 hour movie in february then the show begins in march....easy. the two hours ends with a cliffie. they 'rebroadcast' that when the show premiers followed directly by the 1 hour conclusion.

It'd be like showing children of the gods, then re-showing it and tacking enemy within as the third hour.

Sp!der
November 12th, 2008, 10:05 AM
yay cannot wait!

jenks
November 12th, 2008, 10:48 AM

y'all do realize that, if 3 of the 20 episodes are aired in one night then you only get a total of 18 weeks of programming? Because there will only be 17 more episodes

You're not getting more episodes, you're just getting part of them in one huge chunk

as to the idea that they're gonna have - let's pretend with ddates here- a 2 hour movie in february then the show begins in march....easy. the two hours ends with a cliffie. they 'rebroadcast' that when the show premiers followed directly by the 1 hour conclusion.

It'd be like showing children of the gods, then re-showing it and tacking enemy within as the third hour.

Which is even better. Hell, I would watch the an entire season straight away if I could. And judging by the amount of people who download leaked episodes and movies I think most people want to get their hand on as much Stargate as possible as quickly as possible.

DesertFox2020
November 12th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I think you can put anyone who looks at spoilers into that category (myself included). However, I don't want it all at once simply because it would seem over to quick. Although that would force them to make more of it! Have an episode every night through the week and at the end of the season have a several-month break to film new episodes.

SGFerrit
November 12th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Some people are so naive :rolleyes: Out of SGU's 20 episodes, about 7 (1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 19 and 20) will be relevant to the overall story. Kinda makes you wonder why Stargate shows don't have 13 episodes per season... Lost and similar shows do have two-parters and three-parters (more like two-hour/three-hour episodes, actually), but, as you said, such shows deal with their respective stories 20+ episodes per season. That's not what we have experienced with Stargate. In fact, SG writers only come forward with this two-parter/three-parter talk when they feel compelled to use their brains to write something relatively new and relevant to the show, something they should do 20 episodes per season, but they don't.

Maybe, but again, that has nothing to do with the fact that the show will start with a 3 parter as opposed to a 2 parter. I think your looking far too much into it.

Even if you were right, and the fact that Stargate has 2 or 3 parters does mean that it has too many stand alone eps (lol!) then you should be happy, because the fact that the premiere is a 3 instead of a 2 parter means that there will be at least one more episode dedicated to the arc.

Personally I don't see why it should deal with it's respective story every single episode. There is nothing wrong with standalones, if they are done well. Window of Oppertunity is considered one of the best SG-1 eps, yet that is a standalone.

I also don't get the idea that the openers, middle eps and finales are the only episodes that deal with arcs in the Stargate franchise. Look at Atlantis s4, where people *****ed about it not being arc driven enough:

1. Arc driven
2. Arc driven
3. Could be considered arc driven as it deals with Ronon's story
5. Could be considered arc driven as it introduces the Travelers
7. Arc driven
8. Arc driven
10. Arc driven
11. Arc driven
12. Arc driven
15. Could be considered arc driven as it deals with Repliacators
17. Arc driven
18. Arc driven
19. Arc driven
20. Arc driven

I'd say it could have had one or two eps devoted more to the overall arc, but people really exaggerate when attacking the show and making out like it hardly ever has arc based eps.

Kanetsidohi
November 12th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I've been away from SGU news for a while but for what you posted it seems JM is already involved in SGU. I thought they took charge after season 1, or 2.

SGFerrit
November 12th, 2008, 12:43 PM
At this point, the only people actually writing stories are Brad Wright, Robert Cooper and Carl Binder. I think the others were only there to add notes/ideas?

Orion Antreas
November 12th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Sounds great in my opinion. Like the original poster said, "...why rush things?" It is better to establish the foundation of the series by laying it out with detail and clarity. If you rush the pilot, it will loose the epic feel and also loose a detail that would establish this 'foundation' I am speaking of. The show needs a great start. What better way to have a 3 hour (And when I say 3 hour, I mean 3 'SciFi hours'; roughly 129 minutes as SuperG stated.) pilot to jump start the show.

Sounds great. This shows they aren't about rushing the stories which gives me much more confidence in the show then before. I am still cautiously optimistic; however, this move by Wright and Cooper (If it does happen that is.) raises a few more bars in my book about the series.

Thanks for the information.

Jumper_One
November 12th, 2008, 12:58 PM
At this point, the only people actually writing stories are Brad Wright, Robert Cooper and Carl Binder. I think the others were only there to add notes/ideas?

In addition to that first script, Brad and Rob provided us with a beat sheet and springboards for several more stories. Brad has laid claim to #4, a story that is right up his alley. Speaking of perfect pairings, I couldn’t think of anyone better than Carl Binder to write #5. Rob is eyeing #6 which offers a most intriguingly SF door in, while #7 and #8 have yet to be claimed.
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/11/11/november-11-2008-spinning-stargte-universe-day-one/

coldmachine
November 12th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Serebii is referning to the fact that Children of the Gods & The Enemy Within and Avalon & Origin are both essentially 3 parters.

I agree that it will allow a much more detailed introduction to the series, rather an compersing it into 2 hours

Children of the Gods and The Enemy Within are essentially 3 parters while Avalon and Origin IS a 3 parter. It says to be continued at the end of Avalon part 2.

Jack_Bauer
November 12th, 2008, 03:15 PM
so JM's involved......?

Boon
November 12th, 2008, 03:58 PM
man, they had better play the opener back to back... I hate it to death when they make the first chunk of a series cliffhanger, I need some closure after the first foray...

EdenSG
November 12th, 2008, 04:42 PM

(snip)

I wonder if this might be the case.

JM didn't seem real definite that it would be 3 parts , just that it was looking that way.

Also I wonder is a 3 parter has been or would be approved by SciFi. Anything ever put out by SciFi on SGU's premiere said it would be a 2 hour premiere followed by 18 regular episodes.
So I wonder if SciFi would agree to a three hour premiere or even a 2 hour premiere followed by a part three the next week or month? They could probably thumbs down the whole idea.

TheRandomOne
November 12th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I wonder if there will be an early DVD like there was with Rising ?

Stormtrooper
November 12th, 2008, 05:24 PM

Where did I say everything must be "arc based"? I'm not against standalone episodes, but I happen to think even standalone eps must be creative and add something to the show, be it new tech, new character, new ally, new enemy, new ship, I mean, things that won't just be forgotten or simply vanish after one week.

If you take a closer look at the earlier seasons of SG-1, you will see many standalone episodes are not quite standalone cos most deal with exploration and acquiring new tech to protect planet Earth from alien threats, which have always been SG-1's core themes.

If most SGU episodes focused on survival and/or exploration with some degree of continuity, I would be fine with it, but I'm sure the same PTB and writers will make the same mistakes that plagued the latter seasons of SG-1 and SGA. What mistakes? Rehashed and pointless filler episodes, lack of continuity (a.k.a. reset button addiction), underdeveloped and bipolar characters, stunt casting, just to name a few.

I also don't get the idea that the openers, middle eps and finales are the only episodes that deal with arcs in the Stargate franchise. Look at Atlantis s4, where people *****ed about it not being arc driven enough:

1. Arc driven
2. Arc driven
3. Could be considered arc driven as it deals with Ronon's story
5. Could be considered arc driven as it introduces the Travelers
7. Arc driven
8. Arc driven
10. Arc driven
11. Arc driven
12. Arc driven
15. Could be considered arc driven as it deals with Repliacators
17. Arc driven
18. Arc driven
19. Arc driven
20. Arc driven

I'd say it could have had one or two eps devoted more to the overall arc, but people really exaggerate when attacking the show and making out like it hardly ever has arc based eps.

I'm not so generous with the Wraith-Replicator (Off-Screen) War season:

1. arc driven
2. arc driven
3. filler
4. filler
5. filler
6. filler
7. filler
8. arc driven (sort of)
9. filler
10. arc driven (sort of)
11. arc driven
12. arc driven (sort of)
13. filler
14. filler
15. filler
16. filler
17. filler
18. arc driven
19. arc driven
20. arc driven (sort of)

so JM's involved......?

Did you have any doubt? It's one big happy family.

Jack_Bauer
November 12th, 2008, 07:01 PM

I was just hoping they would ditch him and Mullie. Bring in some fresh (and talented) blood.

jenks
November 12th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Pretty sure Mallozzi said they're still bringing in new writers, and none of the existing writers (bar Rob and Brad) will be as involved as they were in SG-1 or SG:A.

Vespasianus
November 12th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Pretty sure Mallozzi said they're still bringing in new writers, and none of the existing writers (bar Rob and Brad) will be as involved as they were in SG-1 or SG:A.If I remember correctly, Carl Binder hoped to be part of the SG:U team and since he writes the new SG-1 movie, I'd say he's part of BW's writing team.

lunarleviathan
November 13th, 2008, 04:10 AM
3 hours sounds good to me. It shows a dedication to establish something new. At least, that's how I choose to read it.

Zashun
November 13th, 2008, 10:20 AM
If SciFi is looking to use SGU as a replacement for Battlestar Galactica I could easily see them airing a 3-hour pilot movie and split it into two parts aired on two different nights. BSG got a 3 hour miniseries like this, so if they are really trying to set up SGU as their next tentpole SciFi series this could easily be the case.

Personally I'd love it if this is what they did, but more than likely this will be a 2-hour pilot movie like City of the Gods, and the 3rd part would air like Enemy Within did.

On a separate note, I really wish they'd include Enemy Within with CotG when they re-edit the SG-1 pilot.

SGFerrit
November 13th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Where did I say everything must be "arc based"? I'm not against standalone episodes, but I happen to think even standalone eps must be creative and add something to the show, be it new tech, new character, new ally, new enemy, new ship, I mean, things that won't just be forgotten or simply vanish after one week.

If you take a closer look at the earlier seasons of SG-1, you will see many standalone episodes are not quite standalone cos most deal with exploration and acquiring new tech to protect planet Earth from alien threats, which have always been SG-1's core themes.

If most SGU episodes focused on survival and/or exploration with some degree of continuity, I would be fine with it, but I'm sure the same PTB and writers will make the same mistakes that plagued the latter seasons of SG-1 and SGA. What mistakes? Rehashed and pointless filler episodes, lack of continuity (a.k.a. reset button addiction), underdeveloped and bipolar characters, stunt casting, just to name a few.

I'm not so generous with the Wraith-Replicator (Off-Screen) War season:

1. arc driven
2. arc driven
3. filler
4. filler
5. filler
6. filler
7. filler
8. arc driven (sort of)
9. filler
10. arc driven (sort of)
11. arc driven
12. arc driven (sort of)
13. filler
14. filler
15. filler
16. filler
17. filler
18. arc driven
19. arc driven
20. arc driven (sort of)

5. The Travellers have were introduced, and have played a part in both mid-season 2 parters since.
7. Teyla's people going missing was one of the big points of season 4, and this episode kicked it off, to be concluded in the Kindred.
17. Dealt with Midway and even bigger, the Wraith finally made it to Earth. How is that not arc driven?

Jumper_One
November 15th, 2008, 11:02 AM
so JM's involved......?

yes. Joe said

With five stories in place, we turned our attention to episode #6 today, beating out Marty G.’s very first SGU script. This one involved a long, loooooong discussion on the workings of a certain technology which forms the impetus to another terrific character-driven story. Next week, we have stories to break for Rob, Alan, Paul, and myself after which we head off for two weeks of fun in the sun (or rising sun in my case). Then, we’re back in the office for one more week of discussion on the (hopefully) completed outline.
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/11/14/november-14-2008-jelly-on-the-mend-and-spinning-stargate-universe-day-4/

amconway
November 15th, 2008, 11:57 AM

I would have to disagree with this. Some of SG-1's finest episodes were stand alone, although they may have involved characters from larger arcs.

jenks
November 15th, 2008, 01:32 PM
I would have to disagree with this. Some of SG-1's finest episodes were stand alone, although they may have involved characters from larger arcs.

agree*

Infinatus
November 18th, 2008, 07:02 PM

"=/=" means "does not equal". :)

the fifth man
November 18th, 2008, 07:32 PM

I couldn't agree more. There is nothing wrong with stand-alone episodes. Especially when they are well written. I think they are just as important to a show as arc episodes in a lot of ways.

amconway
November 18th, 2008, 07:58 PM
"=/=" means "does not equal".

Ah! Well, ignore that then! : )

Words... Let's use them. They're our friends. ; )

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
November 22nd, 2008, 01:24 PM
here's a question for ya are they going to show all three parts on the same day or will they do like they did for SG-1 Season 9 Opener (avalon part 1 and 2 and origin part 3) showed them one week at a time?