X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Universe will have a 3-hour premiere...

...According to Joe Mallozzi:

Our second order of business was providing notes for episode #1. Brad and Rob did a terrific job of kicking things off in thrilling fashion. The script is fast-paced and fun; its characters unique and engaging. My favorite: Dr. David Rush. Oh, he’s going to be a handful. Originally planned as a two-parter, Brad and Robert quickly discovered that there was simply too much story for such a tight frame, so the series opener is now looking like a three-parter.
    Tomorrow, we discuss Brad’s first story following the big three-part opener, establish some of the big picture storylines and arcs we’d like to pursue over the course of the show’s first 20 episodes, and then start breaking Carl’s story.
    Link

I think it's a good idea. If they don't think they can fit the whole thing into 2 hours, then it's best not to rush it. Should hopefully give the series an epic start.

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
    ...According to Joe Mallozzi:

Link

I think it's a good idea. If they don't think they can fit the whole thing into 2 hours, then it's best not to rush it. Should hopefully give the series an epic start.
    Don't forget that the pilots for SG-1 and what would have been SG:Command (Season 9 of SG1) were both three parters so its not unprecedented

Comment

You mean 3 scifichannel hour That's 3* 43 = 129min so a tad more then 2 hours.
      Not very special. I rather see a pilot movie from netto 3 hours
      Just call a a serrie start with a 3 parter. With a pilot epp off 43 netto min. with a cliffhanger. end then the Will be Continued.

Atlantis have severel eps wich are a full strory spread over 5 eps.

Comment

1.I thought CoTG was a 2 parter, same as Rising?

2. What the hell are you talking about Netto for? It's still better than the 2 hour premiere we were expecting, and it shows that they aren't trying to rush things.

Comment

Yeah, cos it's not like we don't know what will follow the "epic start"... If SGU were going to be written properly, there would be no need for two-parters and three-parters, cos each episode would be relevant to the overall storyline. Just goes to show SGU will also be infested with rehashed filler episodes. Somethings never change.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
            Yeah, cos it's not like we don't know what will follow the "epic start"... If SGU were going to be written properly, there would be no need for two-parters and three-parters, cos each episode would be relevant to the overall storyline. Just goes to show SGU will also be infested with rehashed filler episodes. Somethings never change.
            Hardly - Lost and BSG both have two- and three-parters, just to give two examples of heavily arc-based shows.

And anyway, seriously, standalone episode =/= pointless filler.

Comment

:sigh:. BSG still has two parters. This does not mean they will have as many stand alone episodes as Atlantis, and to say that just because it will have a 3 part premiere is stupid and you know it. It may very well have lots of stand alone episodes, but that has nothing to do with how long the opener is.

Edit: What Naonak said.

Comment

Originally posted by Serebii View Post
                Don't forget that the pilots for SG-1 and what would have been SG:Command (Season 9 of SG1) were both three parters so its not unprecedented
                that's true and a similar point to what i would have made, although in both cases, the first 2 were the true pilot, then the 3rd ep was more of a FYI ep, filling in gaps of information left out in the 2 parter. what is unprecedented is the fact it will be 3 episode pilot, rather than a 3 episode introduction.
                Spoiler:
                Disclaimer:
                I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                Quotes!
                - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                sigpic

Comment

1.I thought CoTG was a 2 parter, same as Rising?
                  Serebii is referning to the fact that Children of the Gods & The Enemy Within and Avalon & Origin are both essentially 3 parters.

I agree that it will allow a much more detailed introduction to the series, rather an compersing it into 2 hours

Comment

3 parters rule;

what I mean is,

it allows new fans to develop as the get hooked it, if it's good enough!

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak View Post
                      Hardly - Lost and BSG both have two- and three-parters, just to give two examples of heavily arc-based shows.

And anyway, seriously, standalone episode =/= pointless filler.
                      :sigh:. BSG still has two parters. This does not mean they will have as many stand alone episodes as Atlantis, and to say that just because it will have a 3 part premiere is stupid and you know it. It may very well have lots of stand alone episodes, but that has nothing to do with how long the opener is.

Edit: What Naonak said.
                      Some people are so naive Out of SGU's 20 episodes, about 7 (1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 19 and 20) will be relevant to the overall story. Kinda makes you wonder why Stargate shows don't have 13 episodes per season... Lost and similar shows do have two-parters and three-parters (more like two-hour/three-hour episodes, actually), but, as you said, such shows deal with their respective stories 20+ episodes per season. That's not what we have experienced with Stargate. In fact, SG writers only come forward with this two-parter/three-parter talk when they feel compelled to use their brains to write something relatively new and relevant to the show, something they should do 20 episodes per season, but they don't.
                      sigpic

Comment

Why must everything be arc based nowadays for people to not ***** (although if they do they will then ***** that it is)

Some of the best SG1 episodes are standalones which dont push the story forward so to speak

Comment

Why must everything be arc based nowadays for people to not ***** (although if they do they will then ***** that it is)

Some of the best SG1 episodes are standalones which dont push the story forward so to speak
                          i agree, some of SG-1s best eps were standalone, especially in the early years, however SGU looks to me, like it would benefit from being arc based from the character side, with only a reletively small cast i think that is necessary, hoever the fact the destiny is always moving will mean one offs will be the staple. and i'm looking forward to a nice mixture of arc and standalones.
                          Spoiler:
                          Disclaimer:
                          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                          Quotes!
                          - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                          - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                          sigpic

Comment

@ Sblade...
                            I've always thought that cutting a 20 or 25 episode show down to 13 episodes would force writers and producers to only film the best episodes. I hate seeing filler just because you've got a quota to fill. Only do as many shows as necessary to tell the story and work any 'really cool' ideas you have into those stories, don't force them to sink/swim as stand alone episodes with no bearing to the greater whole.
                            sigpic
                            More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

I thought the SGU pilot was supposed to air as a 2 hour movie before the season even started officially? How's that going to work if they have it as 3 hours?

Comment

Working...
                              X