Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Place your bets: How many eps before Clip Show?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Place your bets: How many eps before Clip Show?

In Stargate SG-1, Cor-Ai was Episode #15 (my apologies if this is not a "Teal'c Clip Show", I may have forgotten. It's been awhile)
    In Stargate Atlantis, Letters from Pegasus was Episode #17

I'm going to go out on a really tiny limb, produced by a tree that is not known for its strength, and say the pilot episode of Stargate Universe will be a clip show...then the first season will fill in the necessary details. The pilot will be like a "commercial" for the whole season, and as such will have all "the best" scenes & dialogue.

It will not be necessary to watch anything after that.

Originally posted by neiana View Post
    In Stargate SG-1, Cor-Ai was Episode #15 (my apologies if this is not a "Teal'c Clip Show", I may have forgotten. It's been awhile)
    In Stargate Atlantis, Letters from Pegasus was Episode #17

I'm going to go out on a really tiny limb, produced by a tree that is not known for its strength, and say the pilot episode of Stargate Universe will be a clip show...then the first season will fill in the necessary details. The pilot will be like a "commercial" for the whole season, and as such will have all "the best" scenes & dialogue.

It will not be necessary to watch anything after that.
    cor'ai was not the clip show, i think it had a couple of clips but not as a major part of the episode, politics was the "clip show".
    Spoiler:
    Disclaimer:
    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
    Quotes!
    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
    sigpic

Comment

i dont really see why people should care...
      would you prefer a stand alone episode that makes no sense what-so-ever.
      politics, while not my favourite episode, was made for a reason, it was a way for the producers to 'shut down' the gate so SG-1 could be more heroic in saving the world.

clip shows help to explain things in some episodes, without it you would have first time viewers finding it hard to follow, and therefore not watching the show, WHICH IS WHY STARGATE KEEPS FAILING!
      im not saying clip shows by themselves save seasons or that all episodes are perfectly written but put yourself in the writers shoes, they have to create 20 or so episodes each completely different but still folowing the story arc. so clip shows fill in the space and KEEP THE SHOW GOING!

Comment

I personally have quit watching clip shows. If something, say, unique and interesting was done with them, other than what has been done and overdone already (test humanity? oh! look! we did this! in -every- scifi!), then I wouldn't hate them so much.

Just to point out, my fancifully weird thought in the OP is, as far as I know, something that hasn't been done before and could be done, as I said, with the right people involved in the writer's room. That would make it both interesting and new. That said, I again stress it must be in the right hands to work.

Comment

This seems like a fun game, I say 15 episodes and the scenario will be hmm... 2 crew members stranded on a planet and one crew member is gravely injured and the other tells him/her not to give up hope by recounting past experiences.
          LIKES: Half-Life, Half-Life 2, ST: DS-9, ST: TNG, Eric Clapton, GTA 4, SGU, MW + MW2, Red Dead Redemption,
          Scarlett Johansson, Father Ted, The Portal Series, The Assassin's Creed Series, Trailer Park Boys.

DISLIKES: Reality T.V Shows and so called reality t.v stars, people who don't wear seatbelts,
          99.999% of new Music out now, 80% of new Movies out now.

Last Game Completed: Portal 2

Last Movie Watched For The First Time: Dumbo (1941)

Comment

does SGU have 13 or 20 episodes?

if they have 13, then there won't be one, but if they have 20, then eps 18 or 19 will be a clip/flashback show.

I'm wondering how soon into the show they'll have the 'alien influence makes the cast 'randy' and the sexual tension runs rife' show.

it seems to be a season one staple for about every scifi show since star trek
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
              clip shows help to explain things in some episodes, without it you would have first time viewers finding it hard to follow, and therefore not watching the show, WHICH IS WHY STARGATE KEEPS FAILING!
              Since when has Stargate failed? If you mean when SG-1 lasted ten years and ten seasons or when Atlantis lasted 5 years and 5 seasons, then yes, Stargate has failed.

Stargate has seen unparalleled success. Even on a cable network they've lasted longer than most major network shows. You wouldn't consider Lost to be a failure, and when it's all said and done, Lost will have less episodes than SGA. SG-1 speaks for itself.

Please, clip shows have absolutely nothing to do with the success or failure of any Stargate show.

Comment

Indeed

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                  I'm wondering how soon into the show they'll have the 'alien influence makes the cast 'randy' and the sexual tension runs rife' show.
                  Great question. I'm going to go with.. episode 9. I'm basing this on the premise that sexual tension begins with the first 5 minutes of the first episode, but that the alien influence will just make it much worse.

I'm going to guess SG:U takes the SG-1 way and has Sexified Snake Aliens a-la (but so much more disgustingly) Hathor.

Comment

Originally posted by neiana View Post
                    Great question. I'm going to go with.. episode 9. I'm basing this on the premise that sexual tension begins with the first 5 minutes of the first episode, but that the alien influence will just make it much worse.

I'm going to guess SG:U takes the SG-1 way and has Sexified Snake Aliens a-la (but so much more disgustingly) Hathor.
                    but SG-1's randy season 1 ep was "the broca divide"
                    Spoiler:
                    Disclaimer:
                    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                    Quotes!
                    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                    sigpic

Comment

At least by ep 3.

The clips show will probably be the ep before the finale, and given the attention-demanding three-hour premiere I'd guess it's all the more likely to need one by then. And by "need" I mean, "TPTB think their audience is full of dribbling morons who need constant reminders of what's happened."

Of course, given their target demographic... j/k

Comment

more along the line of 'dang, that CGI was more expensive than we thought, let's save a few bucks by using clips
                        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jrd231 View Post
                          Since when has Stargate failed? If you mean when SG-1 lasted ten years and ten seasons or when Atlantis lasted 5 years and 5 seasons, then yes, Stargate has failed.

Stargate has seen unparalleled success. Even on a cable network they've lasted longer than most major network shows. You wouldn't consider Lost to be a failure, and when it's all said and done, Lost will have less episodes than SGA. SG-1 speaks for itself.

Please, clip shows have absolutely nothing to do with the success or failure of any Stargate show.

I infact did say i do not believe that clip shos do anything for the seasons success or failure per se but rather people see a clip show get bored and turn it off thereby lowering ratings and screwing over the rest of us. Im pointing the finger at you americans.....well sort of, mostly the american ratings companies.

in australia we have rating companies too and we had a ratings box in our house and after a week it got annoying having to put your number in to say you were watching. so we always just put the first number in or turned it off.

if the americans do things the same then ratings should not be considered by the producers whch im sure people have mentioned before.

So yeah clip shows are an easy cheap way of filling space rather than create more ideas and possibly more mistakes and make people write increibly long posts about the fact that carter pressed 9 symbols on the DHD....

....is my point getting through?

Comment

more along the line of 'dang, that CGI was more expensive than we thought, let's save a few bucks by using clips
                            Mmm... that, too. But I still think TPTB think their fans are idiots.

Comment

Clip Shows are important in Stargate imo. Even if you never miss an ep, a refresher from months-years old eps is always nice.

I just surprisingly realized that I couldn't think of a Buffy clip show. The closest I can think of is a small scene in "The Girl in Question," nearly 300 episodes into the franchise, and no clips are even used, just a brief indirect recap:

ANGEL
                              I helped save the world, you know.

SPIKE
                              Like I haven't.

ANGEL
                              Yeah, but I've done it a lot more.

SPIKE
                              Oh, please.

ANGEL
                              I closed the hellmouth.
                              (Buffy Seasons 1 & 3 - 6 & 8 years prior)

SPIKE
                              I've done that.
                              (Buffy Season 7 - 1 year prior)

ANGEL
                              Yeah, you wore a necklace. You know, I helped kill the mayor and, uh, and Jasmine and—
                              (Buffy Season 3 & Angel Season 4 - 1 & 5 years prior)

SPIKE
                              Do those really count as savin' the world?

ANGEL
                              I stopped Acathla. That saved the world.
                              (Buffy Season 2 - 6 years prior)

SPIKE
                              Buffy ran you through with a sword.

ANGEL
                              Yeah, but I made her do it. I signaled her with my eyes.

SPIKE
                              She killed you. I helped her!
                              (points)
                              That one counts as mine.

ANGEL
                              My point is I'm better than this.

I guess maybe Joss doesn't love clip shows, but the SG ptb fancy them.
                              sigpic
                              "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                              ~David Hewlett

Comment

Working...
                              X