• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Coming (309)

Visit the Episode GuideHEROES SEASON THREE
    IT'S COMING
    EPISODE NUMBER - 309

Nathan confronts his father after learning that he is still live, while Ando tries to remind Hiro of who he is after Arthur makes him think he is a 10-year-old boy. Matt takes on Arthur in an attempt to wake up Angela, and Sylar faces a vengeful Elle.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by GateWorld; 01 May 2015, 09:57 PM.

I thought tonight's episode was pretty good. How about you guys?
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

not too bad, all things considered, now that the characters are finally within 20 feet of each other rather than scattered all over the place
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

not bad episode

i was expecting peter to regain his powers when he saved claire from the villains

i figure sylar's ability absorption is triggered by empathy and so is peter's, it was just easier for peter to absorb power's

maybe he is now immortal again?
        Last Movie Watched
        X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
        Life is Strange

Comment

if you stay in the moment it was a very very good episode but once you start to try to connect plot lines it falls apart again.

Comment

I really hate this Hiro as a ten year old thing although i thought it was a pretty cool idea to have him rattle off recent comic book events.

Comment

i enjoyed that scene aswell

what i wanna know is who is writing 9th wonders?
              Last Movie Watched
              X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
              Life is Strange

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post

Good question. And my only answer at the moment it either Arthur or the African guy or a third person.

As for the storylines, I think once the entire season is done I got the feeling most of them will come together a lot more than people think.
                I love peter in the sewers. And I love how that it was the difference in how they were bought up that guided how peter and Syler powers developed, I thought it was pretty nice. But I love the ending where you sure the two opposing side together. And I wonder what is coming.

The only thing I did not like was the Hiro having the mind of a ten year old back. I want the character to get serious again. And Clare being the special one was not that surprising through I thought the catalyst was gonna be the eclipse.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_kennedy View Post

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                  Good question. And my only answer at the moment it either Arthur or the African guy or a third person.
                  I think it was in fact Isaac Mendez who wrote those comics. If you remember in late season 1 Isaac gave his publisher the last drafts of the 9th Wonders as well as his sketchbook, before he was killed by Sylar.

So the comics could have been published using those pages. Plus it makes little sense why Arther and the African guy would want to draw the comics.
                  "Yo, you wanna join SG-1?"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gkyun View Post
                    I think it was in fact Isaac Mendez who wrote those comics. If you remember in late season 1 Isaac gave his publisher the last drafts of the 9th Wonders as well as his sketchbook, before he was killed by Sylar.

So the comics could have been published using those pages. Plus it makes little sense why Arther and the African guy would want to draw the comics.
                    I suppose that true through but that would mean he was seeing a lot further into the future than we have been told since. Through it makes the most sense.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                      I suppose that true through but that would mean he was seeing a lot further into the future than we have been told since. Through it makes the most sense.
                      Not only further, but multiple futures since Hiros and Peter's meddling have no doubt changed some of the events.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

i just didnt think they issac gave 9th wonders too was a pre-cog, but there was stuff that was happening like aurthor trying to mind fry hiro

well it could have been the hiatian pre-cog i guess
                        Last Movie Watched
                        X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                        Life is Strange

Comment

In a recent convention appearance, Tim Kring provided some insight into the writing process for “Heroes”, and some of his frustrations. Over the course of the presentation, a number of issues emerged, many of which explain the current state of the series. As it turns out, Kring does understand some of the problems with how the story has evolved; his responses just don’t quite make the grade.

Apparently “Villains” has been his response to the realization that several characters had become so powerful and unbeatable that some plot device was necessary to mitigate that drawback. It’s the “Superman” effect times ten, only with only one apparent source of kryptonite (the Haitian). Peter, Sylar, Claire, and Hiro were all overpowered, and the writers routinely had them make stupid decisions to ensure those powers were out of play. By the end of this episode, Peter is “normal”, Sylar is becoming another Peter, Claire is the Chosen One, and Hiro has mentally devolved into a 10-year-old (so that, of course, he has the priorities of a kid and therefore won’t just end the whole threat in a matter of seconds, as he certainly could).

More disturbing is the contention by Kring that so many of the show’s problems have been caused by its serialized nature. On the one hand, I understand his frustrations. The show has too many divergent plot threads over the course of a volume, and by the time they come together, at least half of them have lost momentum. And like “24”, it’s all too easy to fall into patterns and become too focused on plot over character.

Ironically, one show has struck a near-perfect balance: “Lost”. “Heroes” was supposed to be the anti-“Lost”, the show that provided better and more timely answers with more action and fan service. There’s one major difference. Early in the first season, the showrunners of “Lost” determined the road map for the series and conceived an ending. That sense of purpose has been evident, especially once the series was given a definitive end date.

Kring admits that “Heroes” has no plan, and certainly has no ending. There is no ultimate purpose to what is happening from volume to volume. Part of the problem is the decision, driven by popularity and the network, to abandon the original premise: each season telling a new story with new characters. Once again, this is very similar to what “24” has faced. That show was also supposed to reboot every season, but thanks to the popularity of Jack Bauer, those plans were tossed aside.

So now Kring has found himself on a series with too many characters with too much power, sticking around way too long, and with much more history and continuity than he had ever anticipated. And I think the strain is showing. It’s fashionable these days to bash “Heroes” for its faults, but that doesn’t mean it’s a bandwagon. It means that Kring has made a number of mistakes in adjusting from his original plan to the current reality, and it has taken too long for those adjustments to take effect. As he said himself, this third volume was already filmed and in the can by the time it premiered. As much as he discounts some of the criticism, he has yet to actually make changes based on the reception of “Villains” that can be seen on the screen.

Circling back to the question of whether or not this series is too serialized: this episode is better for it. Whatever criticisms might be made about how the characters arrived in their current state, one can see the threads coming together. I had hoped that the heroes would abandon Primatech and Angela, given their questionable history, but it’s still interesting to see how the battle lines have been drawn.

I liked Matt’s attempt to save Angela, how it intersected with Daphne’s ethical quandary and led to a moment between Angela and Arthur. It took the most obvious plot choice and turned it into something a bit more character-based, however slight. I also liked the tension between Peter and Claire, and how his time in the future factored into that. Claire’s ability is profound, yet here we see some of the limitations. And I liked Mohinder’s conflicted work on the metahuman serum, since it feels more authentic than his self-experimentation.

Surprisingly, my favorite part had to be the interplay between Sylar and Elle. Accepting what has been revealed previously without further judgment, the scenes in this episode were quite well done (no pun intended). Kristen Bell and Zachary Quinto are both very strong, and I can accept that Sylar would run through this particular gauntlet to find some way to replicate powers without killing. It might appear to drive him firmly under Arthur’s influence, but I think it’s more likely that this will give him the courage to stand on his own.

I don’t want the series to lose the elements that make the end of each volume so satisfying. No matter the issues that plague the continuity of the series, there is a sense of resolution. If the series lost much of its serialized nature, that strength could be lost.

Comment

I never thought that Hiro was overpowered. He doesn't have the mind for it (yet). I keep picturing him as this Cable-like figure, but he isn't nearly smart enough for that. For instance, I extrapolated that if Hiro can control time and space, he should be able to manipulate gravity, which could effectively give him telekinesis.
                            Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                            The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                            I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                            A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                            That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                            Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                            Caboose: They could be worse?
                            Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

I gotta say that Elle seemed very quick to forgive the man who sawed her father's head off. Now granted she played a part in creating the monster (a fact which I hate), but still I think I'd wanna kill the SOB rather than snuggle up with him.
                              All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Working...
                              X