Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Con Report "The Hub", Barrowman, Mori, Lloyd-Jones, Owen...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Con Report "The Hub", Barrowman, Mori, Lloyd-Jones, Owen...

The Hub was an event organised by Showmasters, they of Collectormania and the London Film & Comic Con. They’ve been making forays into the realm of conventions for a few months now, with the well-received Eclipse and Chevron Seven pleasing the Heroes and Stargate fans, but this was their first Torchwood event.

The guest list was impressive. Of the show’s six major characters, we were lucky to have four present: John Barrowman (Jack), Naoko Mori (Toshiko), Gareth David Lloyd (Ianto) and Kai Owen (Rhys). A further eight guests – aliens and guest characters – joined them, and we enjoyed panels, signings, photos, and close encounters. The rapport between all the guests was good, albeit with a lot of teasing, and it was a pleasure to listen to such nice, friendly people.

As well as the usual con features, we were treated to “Jack’s Office”, a room in the hotel which had been dressed as a part of the Torchwood Hub, with second world war paraphernalia, newspaper cuttings, bits of tentacle, photos of Jack with various historical figures, and odd futuristic gizmos. The same attention to detail went on Saturday night’s ‘40s-themed dance, where the hall was decorated with union flags and patriotic posters of the “careless talk costs lives” variety, while a pair of ladies in WAAF uniform sang Vera Lynn and Glenn Miller songs.

A particular treat was to follow. “The Nub”, a brief sketch by Andy Evans, acted by Kai, John and Gareth, was riotous. John and Gareth gleefully munched on the double entendres that formed the greater part of their dialogue; the inevitable line “Weevils wobble but they don’t fall down” provoked the inevitable audience groan; Gareth helpfully read out all of Kai’s stage directions; various members of the audience were insulted for kicks; and a thoroughly good time was had by all.

The atmosphere at the con was wonderful, and relaxed enough that the guests were happy to hang around at the parties and mingle. It may be unfair to compare it to other cons – after all, you don’t have to pay to fly actors across the Atlantic if the show is made in Cardiff – but as far as value for money goes, this was a particularly good event.

JB was on fine form, but even better was Kai Owen, Naoko Mori and Gareth David-Lloyd, who were a scream. The Hub2 is looking good already, btw: Kai and Gareth, plus Eve Myles, "PC Andy", and "Real Jack Harkness"

If you want a transcript of a few of the panels, PM me that you're a proper grown-up. They're a little too fruity to be posted on a PG forum.

Madeleine

It sounds like you had a fabulous time, I'm really envious

Comment

Sounds like a great con! yay.
      Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
      Yes, I am!
      sigpic
      Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
      Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
      Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Working...
      X