PDA

View Full Version : Creative or the Same?

Xylian
November 9th, 2008, 12:24 PM
So does anybody actually want to see weird, strange, and imaginative worlds, technology, and alien races in Stargate Universe? The truth is, I'm a little afraid tptb are just going to do what they did with Atlantis, and have nothing but humans and forest planets. It's the universe for crying out loud! It's vast and endless and it's very unlikely chance that humans and life as we know it lives out there. I want to see aliens like in Farscape or even more creative. Planets like in Star Wars or something.

The Prophet
November 9th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Planets in Star Wars? Entirely unrealistic? Porous Planets and Planet-Wide metropolises? I'd rather stick with at least some amount of realism, instead of sacrificing it just for creativity.

Edi
November 9th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Wgats wrong with Planet-Wide metropolises? :thoranime01:

The Prophet
November 9th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Wgats wrong with Planet-Wide metropolises? :thoranime01:

There's unsustainable, sadly :P They would need daily imports of food in massive quantities.

jenks
November 9th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Not necessarily, if they had a good enough power supply then food could just be grown inside.

raistlin
November 9th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Cybertron is only know planet wide metropolis that worked.

The Prophet
November 9th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Not necessarily, if they had a good enough power supply then food could just be grown inside.

A hollow planet complete with a Metropolis? That sounds pretty unfeasible and dangerous to me...

Or did you mean sacrifice part of the living area for food growth? Because then it wouldn't be a planet-wide metropolis,

Infinatus
November 9th, 2008, 04:09 PM
There's unsustainable, sadly :P They would need daily imports of food in massive quantities.

That's why it helps to control most of a galaxy. ;)

Infinatus
November 9th, 2008, 04:14 PM
So does anybody actually want to see weird, strange, and imaginative worlds, technology, and alien races in Stargate Universe? The truth is, I'm a little afraid tptb are just going to do what they did with Atlantis, and have nothing but humans and forest planets. It's the universe for crying out loud! It's vast and endless and it's very unlikely chance that humans and life as we know it lives out there. I want to see aliens like in Farscape or even more creative. Planets like in Star Wars or something.

I believe there's a Gateworld article somewhere stating that filming for the "offworld" scenes will be in Vancouver, so the scenery will be more of the same. As for aliens, that I'm not sure about. They'd have to spend more money, but it might be possible to have more aliens. Though if there's already going to be a Vancouver forest on every planet except for in the occasional story where the plot requires it to be otherwise, or they just happen to get access to a sulfur pit that's nearby (i.e. Cold Lazarus), there will probably be humans too.

Tiberius Avitus
November 9th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Well a planet wide metropolis, was seen in Stargate it was Asuras the planet with the Asurans. Of course they were replicators and do not need to eat, thus escaping the food growing problem. Also the planet Thor and Sam were on in "Small Victories" seemed very large, horizon to horizon buildings were seen, but it was never confirmed as a planet wide metropolis and the Asgard are able to create matter from energy as seen in "New Order Part II" and from the use of their technology in "Ark of Truth." So they could make their little colored food things with that technology, allowing them to escape the food growing problem as well.

I love Stargate's realism. Granted some things are extraordinary but they do try to make many things based in science and what is really possible. Also I like the fact that when an alien enemy is shot they actually die. Most sci-fi shows have the alien coming back to life from being blown apart and being shot a hundred times. (Yes I know the Wraith can withstand a few shots and so can the human form replicators and Asurans but at least the reasons why they can survive are somewhat explained. The Priors is another story how they can survive is less easily explained. But at least the Wraith and that one prior do die of ordinary gunshots.)

The Prophet
November 9th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I love Stargate's realism. Granted some things are extraordinary but they do try to make many things based in science and what is really possible. Also I like the fact that when an alien enemy is shot they actually die. Most sci-fi shows have the alien coming back to life from being blown apart and being shot a hundred times. (Yes I know the Wraith can withstand a few shots and so can the human form replicators and Asurans but at least the reasons why they can survive are somewhat explained. The Priors is another story how they can survive is less easily explained. But at least the Wraith and that one prior do die of ordinary gunshots.)

You state that you love the fact that aliens in Stargate die after being shot, yet you then contradict yourself with the Wraith, the Asurans and the Priors. Even the Kull Warrior surviving the C4 explosions, and the Unas to a degree. It seems to me that most things shot in the Stagate Universe seem to be totally uneffected by the bullets? Hardly realistic.

Wolf O'Donnell
November 9th, 2008, 05:01 PM
im so sick of forest planets. How i miss the sands of Abydos.

knowles2
November 9th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I was kind of hoping that they were gonna be using a lot more of the technology scene in Sanctuary, it be nice to see alien creatures done in such away as the nubbins or the lizzard. But from what I am hearing so far it seem they are using standard TV productions technologies. which means more them Vancouver forests and the the standard medieval village set boring. So from what I am hearing a lot more of the same.

But I continue to hope they use a lot more virtual sets and so fourth. It the way it going so why not be leaders.

November 10th, 2008, 04:41 AM
a high budget show like stargate? i hope and expect to see a lot more blue/green screening, especially with forever decreasing special effects costs

Acolyte Of Bli'l'ab
November 10th, 2008, 05:52 AM
im so sick of forest planets. How i miss the sands of Abydos.

yeah, canadian forests every damn time really made it hard to take it seriously :/

crowmagnumman
November 12th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Same here. I am so incredibly tired of seeing the same bloody forest planet over and over again. SG-1 had a lot more variety. Overall Atlantis has been extremely lacking in imagination. It doesn't have to be as over-the-top as Farscape or Doctor Who(best show on tv), but I would like a bit of variety. And I'm tired of every alien looking humanoid. Don't get me wrong, I think it worked great in Star Trek. But we need more aliens in Stargate that actually look alien. And we need more planets that actually look alien. The franchise is in dire need of some imagination. And if Universe gives us the same Canadian forests and the same humanoid aliens then that will be the last straw.

lunarleviathan
November 14th, 2008, 03:35 AM
I agree also. More variety would be good to see. I doubt lots of different sets and different non-humanoid aliens is realistic budget wise, but at least the occasional bit of variety would be very welcome.

Pitry
November 14th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Here's a question that might give the answer: Did they take down the huge village set or not?...

Acolyte Of Bli'l'ab
November 14th, 2008, 06:54 AM
So does anybody actually want to see weird, strange, and imaginative worlds, technology, and alien races in Stargate Universe?

Yes, I want living planets, giant temples in space, assymetrical aliens, lovecraftian style deities and gods, cyclopean cities, surrealism ect.

Acolyte Of Bli'l'ab
November 14th, 2008, 06:57 AM
I doubt lots of different sets and different non-humanoid aliens is realistic budget wise

babylon5 did it well enough in the 90's with the vorlons and shadows.

Star trek even did it well enough with the Macro-virus in Voyager and the crystaline Entity in TNG.

Im doing it myself and I have about £10,000 budget.

That and CGI is getting cheaper all the time...

So I dont think budget is the issue. Theres always ways to do non-humanoid aliens, its just most people dare I say seem to lack the imagination and creativity to do them.

November 14th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Yes, I want living planets, giant temples in space, assymetrical aliens, lovecraftian style deities and gods, cyclopean cities, surrealism ect.

i want a dan simmons plot, did you ever hear about the time he was asked to write a plot for a st:voyager ep and it was rejected for being too "out there"

Acolyte Of Bli'l'ab
November 14th, 2008, 08:45 AM
i want a dan simmons plot, did you ever hear about the time he was asked to write a plot for a st:voyager ep and it was rejected for being too "out there"

Doesnt surprise me, the modern sci-fi fans seem to prefer soap-drama, snazzy effects and pop-culture references to hard science-fiction and artistic concepts and ideas.

Xylian
November 14th, 2008, 02:04 PM

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Things that take a lot of imagination to create. The problem is, I don't think tptb have much imagination left, which makes me sad. :(

jenks
November 14th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Oh come on, it takes a 100 times more creativity to come up with a good story than it does to make up a funky alien landscape, anyone can do that...

Ganthet Jr.
November 14th, 2008, 04:45 PM

The original city-planet, Foundation, worked, as did Coruscant. Well, Coruscant worked until the Yuuzhan Vong screwed it up, but it's up-and-running again now lol.

kymeric
November 18th, 2008, 05:20 PM
orginal cybertron or technoorganic cybertron ;)

s09119
November 18th, 2008, 06:00 PM

Um... Coruscant?