This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creative or the Same?

So does anybody actually want to see weird, strange, and imaginative worlds, technology, and alien races in Stargate Universe? The truth is, I'm a little afraid tptb are just going to do what they did with Atlantis, and have nothing but humans and forest planets. It's the universe for crying out loud! It's vast and endless and it's very unlikely chance that humans and life as we know it lives out there. I want to see aliens like in Farscape or even more creative. Planets like in Star Wars or something.
    Jack: Good morning campers!

The Answer To 1984 Is 1776!

Planets in Star Wars? Entirely unrealistic? Porous Planets and Planet-Wide metropolises? I'd rather stick with at least some amount of realism, instead of sacrificing it just for creativity.

Comment

Wgats wrong with Planet-Wide metropolises?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Edi View Post
        Wgats wrong with Planet-Wide metropolises?
        There's unsustainable, sadly They would need daily imports of food in massive quantities.

Comment

Not necessarily, if they had a good enough power supply then food could just be grown inside.

Comment

Cybertron is only know planet wide metropolis that worked.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
              Not necessarily, if they had a good enough power supply then food could just be grown inside.
              A hollow planet complete with a Metropolis? That sounds pretty unfeasible and dangerous to me...

Or did you mean sacrifice part of the living area for food growth? Because then it wouldn't be a planet-wide metropolis,

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
                There's unsustainable, sadly They would need daily imports of food in massive quantities.
                That's why it helps to control most of a galaxy.

Comment

Originally posted by Xylian View Post
                  So does anybody actually want to see weird, strange, and imaginative worlds, technology, and alien races in Stargate Universe? The truth is, I'm a little afraid tptb are just going to do what they did with Atlantis, and have nothing but humans and forest planets. It's the universe for crying out loud! It's vast and endless and it's very unlikely chance that humans and life as we know it lives out there. I want to see aliens like in Farscape or even more creative. Planets like in Star Wars or something.
                  I believe there's a Gateworld article somewhere stating that filming for the "offworld" scenes will be in Vancouver, so the scenery will be more of the same. As for aliens, that I'm not sure about. They'd have to spend more money, but it might be possible to have more aliens. Though if there's already going to be a Vancouver forest on every planet except for in the occasional story where the plot requires it to be otherwise, or they just happen to get access to a sulfur pit that's nearby (i.e. Cold Lazarus), there will probably be humans too.

Comment

Well a planet wide metropolis, was seen in Stargate it was Asuras the planet with the Asurans. Of course they were replicators and do not need to eat, thus escaping the food growing problem. Also the planet Thor and Sam were on in "Small Victories" seemed very large, horizon to horizon buildings were seen, but it was never confirmed as a planet wide metropolis and the Asgard are able to create matter from energy as seen in "New Order Part II" and from the use of their technology in "Ark of Truth." So they could make their little colored food things with that technology, allowing them to escape the food growing problem as well.

I love Stargate's realism. Granted some things are extraordinary but they do try to make many things based in science and what is really possible. Also I like the fact that when an alien enemy is shot they actually die. Most sci-fi shows have the alien coming back to life from being blown apart and being shot a hundred times. (Yes I know the Wraith can withstand a few shots and so can the human form replicators and Asurans but at least the reasons why they can survive are somewhat explained. The Priors is another story how they can survive is less easily explained. But at least the Wraith and that one prior do die of ordinary gunshots.)
                    Last edited by Tiberius Avitus; 09 November 2008, 04:25 PM. Reason: Forgot to add one part
                    "Histoira efficio tuitio ab veritas"- History brings about (causes) the preservation of truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiberius Avitus View Post
                      I love Stargate's realism. Granted some things are extraordinary but they do try to make many things based in science and what is really possible. Also I like the fact that when an alien enemy is shot they actually die. Most sci-fi shows have the alien coming back to life from being blown apart and being shot a hundred times. (Yes I know the Wraith can withstand a few shots and so can the human form replicators and Asurans but at least the reasons why they can survive are somewhat explained. The Priors is another story how they can survive is less easily explained. But at least the Wraith and that one prior do die of ordinary gunshots.)
                      You state that you love the fact that aliens in Stargate die after being shot, yet you then contradict yourself with the Wraith, the Asurans and the Priors. Even the Kull Warrior surviving the C4 explosions, and the Unas to a degree. It seems to me that most things shot in the Stagate Universe seem to be totally uneffected by the bullets? Hardly realistic.

Comment

im so sick of forest planets. How i miss the sands of Abydos.

Comment

I was kind of hoping that they were gonna be using a lot more of the technology scene in Sanctuary, it be nice to see alien creatures done in such away as the nubbins or the lizzard. But from what I am hearing so far it seem they are using standard TV productions technologies. which means more them Vancouver forests and the the standard medieval village set boring. So from what I am hearing a lot more of the same.

But I continue to hope they use a lot more virtual sets and so fourth. It the way it going so why not be leaders.

Comment

a high budget show like stargate? i hope and expect to see a lot more blue/green screening, especially with forever decreasing special effects costs
                            Spoiler:
                            Disclaimer:
                            I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                            Quotes!
                            - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                            - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                            - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf O'Donnell View Post
                              im so sick of forest planets. How i miss the sands of Abydos.
                              yeah, canadian forests every damn time really made it hard to take it seriously :/
                              Go buy my music and give a starving artist some support. It's dirt-cheap, dammit.
                              Ion Plasma Incineration (Hard and heavy electro-industrial music in the vein of late 90's classics, updated for the 21st century!)

Current project : Working on Tolathians Outpost Cyclopean, the world's first pure non-humanoid extra-dimensional sci-fi show! 100% no humans !

Comment

Working...
                              X