PDA

View Full Version : Plot Hole

strider2289
November 9th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Has anyone noticed that there's a glaring plot hole? That is michaels escape and subsequent takeover of Atlantis. How the hell did he pilot the jumper without the ATA gene? The IDC is also a minor issue we can assume he caught the offworld team and tortured it out of them but it's a standard rule that ancient tech and puddle jumpers have been specifically stated more than once to only be piloted by those with the ancient gene.

Pegasus_SGA
November 9th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Has anyone noticed that there's a glaring plot hole? That is michaels escape and subsequent takeover of Atlantis. How the hell did he pilot the jumper without the ATA gene? The IDC is also a minor issue we can assume he caught the offworld team and tortured it out of them but it's a standard rule that ancient tech and puddle jumpers have been specifically stated more than once to only be piloted by those with the ancient gene.
Michael made a clone of Carson who developed the synthetic ATA gene and held him captive for 2 years before the team rescued him. So although it's not been explained in full, it's been hinted at that Carson provided details (willingly or not) of how to manufacture the gene. Then Michael used the information and injected himself with the gene to allow him and his hybrid buggy army to fly the jumper. :)

jelgate
November 9th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Also torture go do wonders in securing an a GDO and IDC.

Freek
November 9th, 2008, 02:38 AM
The fact that people here are filling the plot hole, does indicate there is one. Its all very logical, but they were a lot more careful with opening the gate on SG-1. They've never done much with the IDC on Atlantis (have barely seen it used after S1/S2) so it's not all that strange that the writers didn't use it in this episode.

Twelc
November 9th, 2008, 02:39 AM
For the IDC code, you would expect they would have a different code to give under duress, especially since there's no way to check if it is correct or not!

They've never done much with the IDC on Atlantis (have barely seen it used after S1/S2) so it's not all that strange that the writers didn't use it in this episode.They did: Michael used Major Nelson's IDC

Freek
November 9th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Ah, must've missed it then. I guess it makes more sense in that case.

Pegasus_SGA
November 9th, 2008, 02:43 AM
The fact that people here are filling the plot hole, does indicate there is one. Its all very logical, but they were a lot more careful with opening the gate on SG-1. They've never done much with the IDC on Atlantis (have barely seen it used after S1/S2) so it's not all that strange that the writers didn't use it in this episode.
umm no. :lol: The fact that you can fill in the blanks to someone else's perceived plothole means there wasn't one to begin with. :p

Wayston
November 9th, 2008, 02:45 AM
I wouldn't call this a plot hole in the logic of the show, it is something logicallly explainable off screen but is not explained in the episode because it is not relevant to the story at hand, you do have only x amount of minutes to tell the story of the week after all

YutheGreat
November 9th, 2008, 04:03 AM
WHo says he doesn't? I always suspected he had ATA gene capability. He had Carson. All the info he had could have been interogated out of him. I mean how did he steal it in the first place?

It is the IDC CODE I'm worried about how did he know which team was off base and what code they had could it be he captured that team? WHat became of them

jenks
November 9th, 2008, 10:34 AM

If they don't spoon feed us an explanation then it's a plot hole, if they do then then there's too much techno-babble and exposition, the writers can't really win either way...

JackHarkness_Hot
November 9th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Since he stole the Puddlejumper from an offworld team then what if Michael cut a hand off an officer and somehow made the hand (with telepathy or something) dial the DHD and allowed the Puddlejumper to fly?

Too gruesome?

Shade_of_Chulak
November 9th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Since he stole the Puddlejumper from an offworld team then what if Michael cut a hand off an officer and somehow made the hand (with telepathy or something) dial the DHD and allowed the Puddlejumper to fly?

Too gruesome?

He didn't steal the jumper from the offworld team, he stole it a while back from shepp and co. The only scenario that makes sense is that Carson supplied him with the info to make the gene.

JackHarkness_Hot
November 9th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Ahh I see, I see.

Though would have been cool if my scenario played out, lol.

Jack_Bauer
November 9th, 2008, 09:04 PM

It's just anbother one of those things u have to say "meh" to. For to long I struggled to comprehend how the PTB leave things unexplained or simply contradict them. Then I realised TPTB arer morons...

shrap
November 10th, 2008, 02:52 AM
The reception wasn't to clear when I watched so I may be wrong.
Do we know for sure it was Michael piloting? Could it have been one of the Athosions piloting the jumper, surely there is a chance they could naturally have the gene.

Col.Ads
November 10th, 2008, 03:05 AM
Its not the first time someone who we dont think has the ATA gene has piloted a jumper, remember Ford in TheSiege? But in Micheal's case he could have used carsons dna to give himself the gene or he could have used one of the athosians, maybe one of them already had the gene, but whichever it is it happened first on the cruiser so it had to be either athosian or micheal otherwise they would not have escaped with the jumper.

Alipeeps
November 10th, 2008, 04:42 AM
It was implied in Search and Rescue that Michael had given himself the ATA gene (after all, we already know he's been messing extensively with his own DNA) as how else could he have stolen the rescue team's jumper?

Mitchell82
November 16th, 2008, 10:48 AM

The gene part is not explained because they expect that we know that Michael used Carson's research to artifically create the gene and as to the GDO he had Major Nelson's IDC.

Shirt'n'Tie
November 25th, 2008, 03:41 AM
HI All

I rarely pop over to the Plot Hole pages as I usually expect that someone has picked up on it before I do....and usually I'm right. Any-hoo, here goes:
It was established that the Self Destruct countdown sound has a MUTE facility (as seen in Quarantine!) So....Mr Arch Villian Mwhaa-haa Michael when trying to coax Teyla out of the shaft thing, why not just hit MUTE and say "OK, it's off!!!!"

Shirt'n'Tie

Anon
November 25th, 2008, 01:40 PM
he used the synthetic gene made by carson beckett. He prob gave it to him self and then flew the jumper. and stop aruging over the idc, look in the gate world transcript before u argue, it takes 3 minutes