PDA

View Full Version : The door to nowhere

Gate-builder
November 8th, 2008, 03:05 AM
Why would the Ancients in all their infinite wisdom build a door at the top of the tower that leads absolutely nowhere? I must admit it was a cool place for that final fight though

jonos101
November 8th, 2008, 03:08 AM
For the view?

Sasso
November 8th, 2008, 03:09 AM
Was it a door? I for one didn't really see how they suddenly got outside because I was so caught up in the epicness.

FallenAngelII
November 8th, 2008, 03:11 AM
Suicide Point, it's where all the Lateans who failed at Ascending chose to end their lives. During their descent, some of them actually managed to Ascend, what with impending death looming.

Was it a door? I for one didn't really see how they suddenly got outside because I was so caught up in the epicness.
You clearly see the door opening when Michael passes through.

Cree
November 8th, 2008, 03:47 AM
i bet there were some kind of circuits or something up there they needed to be able to reach in order to effect repairs etc! least thats the most logical explanation

FallenAngelII
November 8th, 2008, 03:51 AM
i bet there were some kind of circuits or something up there they needed to be able to reach in order to effect repairs etc! least thats the most logical explanation
But that would beg the question: Why would you put circuits up there? And why the lack of railings?

Jeffala
November 8th, 2008, 03:54 AM
Maybe it's a connector for one of the bridges that we saw in "Progeny":

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/atl_season3/305-Progeny/screencaps/normal_atl_305_0157.JPG

But...

Didn't the "The Prodigal" clearly show that the gateroom was just below the top bridge in that picture, and about even with the lower bridge? If so, how could there be a bridge behind the gate in "Progeny" in one of the opening scenes when there isn't a bridge in the external shot?

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/atl_season3/305-Progeny/screencaps/normal_atl_305_0099.JPG

rsanchez
November 8th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Suicide Point, it's where all the Lateans who failed at Ascending chose to end their lives. During their descent, some of them actually managed to Ascend, what with impending death looming.
Maybe this was the inspiration of the story the prior told us in "The Fourth Horseman." I can't remember it exactly, but it mentions someone who fell but on the way down grew wings.

EternalAlteran
November 8th, 2008, 06:04 AM
I believe it was one of the tubes we saw in the episode where a Wraith hive-ship was growing out of keller. She probably didn't move in further because of the stun field

rea
November 8th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Emergency exit used with jumpers?!

Vala_M
November 8th, 2008, 06:20 AM

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/atl_season3/305-Progeny/screencaps/normal_atl_305_0157.JPG

But...

Didn't the "The Prodigal" clearly show that the gateroom was just below the top bridge in that picture, and about even with the lower bridge? If so, how could there be a bridge behind the gate in "Progeny" in one of the opening scenes when there isn't a bridge in the external shot?

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/atl_season3/305-Progeny/screencaps/normal_atl_305_0099.JPG

Yeah, you're right. I guess it was a messup and they just attached the bridges in convenient parts of the virtual model.

Vala,

FallenAngelII
November 8th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Emergency exit used with jumpers?!
Looks too small for a jumper.

Jeffala
November 8th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Maybe this was the inspiration of the story the prior told us in "The Fourth Horseman." I can't remember it exactly, but it mentions someone who fell but on the way down grew wings.

"When Hannor Mir fell from above and learned to fly on the way down, that was a miracle."

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
November 8th, 2008, 07:01 AM

But...

The problem with that theory is Atlantis doesn't have those bridges. It is possible though that they have them there for when they dock on a planet.

Maybe it's for parachuting? Ancients are know for their extreme sports....
Or maybe the Ancients were so far sighted that they knew it would be needed for an epic battle one day.

Jeffala
November 8th, 2008, 07:05 AM
The problem with that theory is Atlantis doesn't have those bridges. It is possible though that they have them there for when they dock on a planet.

Atlantis isn't surrounded by a megalopolis, either.

Ikaros
November 8th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Why would the Ancients in all their infinite wisdom build a door at the top of the tower that leads absolutely nowhere? I must admit it was a cool place for that final fight though

Repairs? access to systems?

Joe
November 8th, 2008, 08:42 AM
other towers have doors to get the roof area.

kymeric
November 8th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Lol why does ANY building have a balcony? For going outside and doing BALCONY things. Like others have said, its a ship that connects to other buildings with bridges too.

FallenAngelII
November 8th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Lol why does ANY building have a balcony?
Clearly. That one balcony where Kate fell from, for one. And I think John had a picnic with She-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named-in-Rodney's-Presence on a balcony.

Reiko
November 8th, 2008, 10:17 AM
There are tons of balconies in Atlantis! Elizabeth has her own balcony. Even when she is not there, it is still her balcony. :D

FallenAngelII
November 8th, 2008, 10:21 AM
There are tons of balconies in Atlantis! Elizabeth has her own balcony. Even when she is not there, it is still her balcony. :D
Oh yeah! We friggin' saw a balcony in the very first episode (well, double episode), by the end there when Elizabeth and John were on that balcony!

Xaeden
November 8th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Looks too small for a jumper.

I think Rea meant as a place for jumpers to pick people up. Say there's a fire and to escape it you run to the highest point of the tower. A jumper can then come and open up the back in such a way where it acts as a bridge for people to walk from the platform and into the jumper.

jyh
November 8th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I was more interested in the "invisible door" where Teyla hid. She obviously knew there was a compartment there, as she knocked on various panels looking for it. And then there were fold-down stairs for it!! Possibly for access to heating & venting ducts, sort of like the drop-ceilings in an office building.

Guess it's the Atlantis version of a Jeffries Tube. ;)

Darynlxm
November 8th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Okay so I read the first page and none of the second page, dont hate me.

My thought on that was the same. "WTF? Doors to nowhere?!" However I have had some time to think and I believe that the door is primarily meant for maintainance of the upper tower.

You could assume that the following are located on the central tower;

-Subspace Communications Array (Primary?)
-Jumper Bay (Doors) circuitry
-External Sesnor Array

As for why there is no railing... uhm... maybe it fell off in those 10 thousand years between tenants? ;)

Anyways, thats the most logical thing I could come up with, I noticed others thought that too.

Major_Griff
November 8th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I was more interested in the "invisible door" where Teyla hid. She obviously knew there was a compartment there, as she knocked on various panels looking for it. And then there were fold-down stairs for it!! Possibly for access to heating & venting ducts, sort of like the drop-ceilings in an office building.

Teyla and Radek were in that compartment in the seed, its like an access shaft to power conduits or something.

nebulan
November 8th, 2008, 01:40 PM
They both reminded me of Video Games. One was the secret passage, yeah, I guess I can see that as an access area. The non-balcony, seriously, how many times in video games (like the Jedi Knight games) are there doors to narrow ledges that go no-where (but you have to jump to something or there's a secret prize if you brave the narrow ledge?)

Alteran of Atlantis
November 8th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I think the door was to acess whatever conduits and curcits are on the Control Tower. Or a door to the roof. Possibly just for the great view you get when you go out there. :D

FallenAngelII
November 9th, 2008, 04:19 AM
I think Rea meant as a place for jumpers to pick people up. Say there's a fire and to escape it you run to the highest point of the tower. A jumper can then come and open up the back in such a way where it acts as a bridge for people to walk from the platform and into into the jumper.
But then, why the lack of railing? What, Ancients had perfect balance, even in the face of wind?

ha'tak_
November 9th, 2008, 04:21 AM
i think i saw some crystals beside the door maybe it was to reach them

MacGyverInSpace
November 9th, 2008, 05:14 AM
It is clearly a heavy-anti-starship-cannon mount. Can't have those things up there on planet....too heavy. Jumpers add em on when its going to be doing a lot of war-time non-a-b flying around.

Shan Bruce Lee
November 9th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Who cares why the door was there... the real question you should be asking yourself is why was that thing there that Shep grabbed onto when Michael tried to throw him off the ledge?

There's absolutely no reason for that piece of metal to be sticking out of the side of the building... and it's just wide enough to stand on? lol

Alteran of Atlantis
November 9th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Who cares why the door was there... the real question you should be asking yourself is why was that thing there that Shep grabbed onto when Michael tried to throw him off the ledge?

There's absolutely no reason for that piece of metal to be sticking out of the side of the building... and it's just wide enough to stand on? lol

Maybe it was a decoration. There's some more on the side of the Control Tower in "Quarantine."

Xaeden
November 9th, 2008, 08:49 AM
But then, why the lack of railing? What, Ancients had perfect balance, even in the face of wind?

Well it's not really my theory, but a railing would get in the way for that specific purpose. As is a couple of jumpers can back in there at once, (while resting their back part on the steady platform) open up, and make it easy for them to cross. A railing, even a partial one, would make that harder in a pinch and if it's a full railing it would create more of a balance issue as they'd be climbing up on something that is resting part of its weight on a simple railing.

jds1982
November 9th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Maybe Atlantis was designed by Sarah Winchester.

rea
November 9th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I think Rea meant as a place for jumpers to pick people up. Say there's a fire and to escape it you run to the highest point of the tower. A jumper can then come and open up the back in such a way where it acts as a bridge for people to walk from the platform and into into the jumper.

Thank you!! :jack_new_anime07:That's exactly what I meant!:mckayanime09:

Pic
November 9th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Obviously it is there for the plot.

Vala_M
November 9th, 2008, 08:19 PM

That is the service hatch for power conduits and it was first seen in "The Seed" when Dr. Zelenka was checking if the Wraith tendrils made it there yet.

Vala,