PDA

View Full Version : Self Destruct

TheoryCraft
November 7th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I know it's a plot device, but seriously, you'd think the Atlantis team would have considered getting rid of this darn thing since every single bad guy and random malfunction seems to arm it.

thedrumm3rguy
November 8th, 2008, 03:49 AM
I always thought the self destruct was overloading the naquada generators round the city...was wondering during the ep why they didn't send teams to secure the generators, deynying michael when he set of the self destruct.... was under the impression that atlantis diddnt have a built in self destruct "a la star trek" - hence first season when zelenka is trying to figure out ways to destroy the city

..ofcourse i could be wrong and will be torn to shreads :D

jonos101
November 8th, 2008, 03:51 AM
I always thought the self destruct was overloading the naquada generators round the city...was wondering during the ep why they didn't send teams to secure the generators, deynying michael when he set of the self destruct.... was under the impression that atlantis diddnt have a built in self destruct "a la star trek" - hence first season when zelenka is trying to figure out ways to destroy the city

..ofcourse i could be wrong and will be torn to shreads :D

I think that's what it was in season 1, but now they probably have a Mk IX at the base of the tower or something.

FallenAngelII
November 8th, 2008, 04:07 AM
They could at the very least remove the crystals involved and hide them somewhere near the control room (or even in the control room) should they ever have to use it. At the very least out of reach of malfunctions and villains.

Yeah, the self-destruct really needs to be disabled.

Sasso
November 8th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Isn't it caused by the ZPM?

FallenAngelII
November 8th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Isn't it caused by the ZPM?
No. IIRC, in season 1, they were planning on self-destructing even before they found out Earth was giving them a ZPM.

Sasso
November 8th, 2008, 04:36 AM
No i meant nowadays it's caused by the ZPM overloading.

Before it was the naquada (spellings iffy) generators.

jenks
November 8th, 2008, 04:40 AM
I know it's a plot device, but seriously, you'd think the Atlantis team would have considered getting rid of this darn thing since every single bad guy and random malfunction seems to arm it.

And what happens when they need it?

FallenAngelII
November 8th, 2008, 04:40 AM
No i meant nowadays it's caused by the ZPM overloading.

Before it was the naquada (spellings iffy) generators.
The city is being powered by Nahquadah generators at this very moment (it always has been, just that sometimes, there's a ZPM there to help... and then there was that underwater power station).

So either way, city goes boom.

talyn2k1
November 8th, 2008, 04:45 AM
They specifically mentioned a self-destruct device.

While this could just be a device that overloads the ZPM and Naquadah Generators, I look at it more like the SGC self-destruct device - a fat nuke right in the middle of the base.

Xiphias
November 8th, 2008, 06:49 AM
They should make communications and the self destruct fully independent systems. In case of emergencies. Which happen often.

freyr's mother
November 8th, 2008, 11:02 AM
What they should do is store the self destruct program on a flash drive hidden under a secret compartment under the control console or on a ghost drive.

rarocks24
November 8th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I thought they were going to power the self destruct from the Puddle Jumper?

FallenAngelII
November 8th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I thought they were going to power the self destruct from the Puddle Jumper?
Yes, but if you remove the control crystals for the self-destruct, it cannot be initiated. You can throw a nuclear power plant at it, but if there's nothing to engage, nothing will be engaged.

Pharaoh Atem
November 8th, 2008, 11:06 AM

it's just a call back from sg1

TheoryCraft
November 8th, 2008, 02:54 PM
it's just a call back from sg1

This is true, but it seemed like a bad idea there too.
Unless there's an actual valid reason for installing a self-destruct on your ship/installation/flying city?

jenks
November 8th, 2008, 03:03 PM
This is true, but it seemed like a bad idea there too.
Unless there's an actual valid reason for installing a self-destruct on your ship/installation/flying city?

There is, and it was established in the first season. Atlantis is the way to Earth, if it falls then Earth is ****ed.

the fifth man
November 8th, 2008, 10:34 PM
There is, and it was established in the first season. Atlantis is the way to Earth, if it falls then Earth is ****ed.

You do make a valid point.

FallenAngelII
November 9th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Or not. They could just wipe the ancient database (because they can) and destroy the special control crystal in the gate.

The fact of the matter remains: There is absolutely no need to have the self-destruct available at all times. They should remove some essential crystals and stash them somewhere close to the control room to prevent situations like these from happening, because, really, if they get hit by something that kills everyone able to initiate the self-destruct before they get a chance to run into an adjacent room, open a hidden panel, retrieve some crystals and replace them, well, they'd probably died before getting to initiate it anyway.

At the very least they could remove just one crystal and stash it below the main control panel in a hidden pocket or something.

Pharaoh Atem
November 9th, 2008, 07:06 AM

but better safe guards should be in place so bad guys can't use it against the expedition

jelgate
November 9th, 2008, 07:48 AM
but better safe guards should be in place so bad guys can't use it against the expeditionIsn't that it was way more encrypted then the other systems. The truth is their is no such thing as a perfect system

g.o.d
November 9th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Isn't that it was way more encrypted then the other systems.

apparently not...every redneck from PG can hack it

Shan Bruce Lee
November 9th, 2008, 08:45 AM
I'd rather have a self-destruct that not have one

beale947
November 9th, 2008, 09:18 AM
apparently not...every redneck from PG can hack it

And how many times have we seen these 'rednecks' hack the selfdestruct??

jenks
November 9th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Or not. They could just wipe the ancient database (because they can) and destroy the special control crystal in the gate.

The fact of the matter remains: There is absolutely no need to have the self-destruct available at all times. They should remove some essential crystals and stash them somewhere close to the control room to prevent situations like these from happening, because, really, if they get hit by something that kills everyone able to initiate the self-destruct before they get a chance to run into an adjacent room, open a hidden panel, retrieve some crystals and replace them, well, they'd probably died before getting to initiate it anyway.

At the very least they could remove just one crystal and stash it below the main control panel in a hidden pocket or something.

And what if one of those big stun ball things comes through the gate? There's a hundred and one different scenarios that could call for the self-destruct to be needed quickly, and Atlantis is really a small price to pay when compared with Earth.