Energy weapons vs Tauri projectiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Energy weapons vs Tauri projectiles

I'm sure this threads been seen before but i've seen several people complain lately that the sg teams were never equipped with energy weapons and I can't help but notice that the only assault energy weapons we have seen are the jaffa and ori staff weapons and wraith stun rifles. The others are more personal defense weapons, the zats and small stunners. It was demonstrated by SG1 that the p90 was more accurate with a longer range than the jaffa staff weapon and although any staff weapon can kill with one shot something a p90 cant do through jaffa armour at long range always or a wraith the massively superior rate of fire makes up for this deficiency. The only weapon with a rapid rate of fire was the kull plasma repeater which retained its lethality but I would assume it lacked range. I always assumed the difference between a wraith stun rifle and pistol was range. Therefore we have seen no energy weapon that can match the range, rate of fire or accuracy of the p90 so unless they could develop one that wouldn't have these same deficiencies then its not a great surprise that they've stuck with tauri weapons. Any thoughts?

The only weapons that I have seen which the USAF might consider using are the Lantian Pistols and the Traveler pistols. Both weapons have stun and kill settings, both are very powerful, they have a decent rate of fire and finally the SGC could either make some or purchase some. I would assume that there would be Rifles made by the Lanteans and the Travelers as well. For the moment P-90s with stunner/Zats are the norm.

Comment

Most energy weapons in SG are just designed to be unwieldy and hard to use. It wouldn't really be that hard for them to just alter energy weapons to be more accurate.

Comment

Not sure where you saw that lantean pistols have stun or kill settings but while i agree in regards to the traveler pistols they are still sidearms and considering they dont fight on the ground there's nothing to suggest that they have rifles. But rate of fire is key the power of automatic weapons is a huge advantage that a single shot weapon cant match. You can talk about rate of fire but even the traveler pistol only fires one shot for each trigger pull.

Comment

True they have a semi auto rate of fire, but they have loads of rounds(In the energy sense) to fire. The Asurans stunned someone I think-well Lanteans gave the Asurans everything they knew at the time and I don't see the Ancients making a weapon that only kills-do u????

Comment

They're small unit teams though they dont spend so long behind enemy lines that ammo's an issue. That was my point with the lantean and asuran weapons we've seen them stun not kill where did you get the kill setting? Its possible that they only stun and the wraith reverse engineered them to create their stunners.

Comment

Originally posted by strider2289 View Post
              I'm sure this threads been seen before but i've seen several people complain lately that the sg teams were never equipped with energy weapons and I can't help but notice that the only assault energy weapons we have seen are the jaffa and ori staff weapons and wraith stun rifles. The others are more personal defense weapons, the zats and small stunners. It was demonstrated by SG1 that the p90 was more accurate with a longer range than the jaffa staff weapon and although any staff weapon can kill with one shot something a p90 cant do through jaffa armour at long range always or a wraith the massively superior rate of fire makes up for this deficiency. The only weapon with a rapid rate of fire was the kull plasma repeater which retained its lethality but I would assume it lacked range. I always assumed the difference between a wraith stun rifle and pistol was range. Therefore we have seen no energy weapon that can match the range, rate of fire or accuracy of the p90 so unless they could develop one that wouldn't have these same deficiencies then its not a great surprise that they've stuck with tauri weapons. Any thoughts?

sg-1 i thing allways had a zat gun from the day the first saw them

Comment

Originally posted by ha´tak View Post
                sg-1 i thing allways had a zat gun from the day the first saw them
                Most of season one they don't. The only energy weapon they have is Teal'cs staff.

As for the P90, its far from the perfect choice of weapon, and staffs are actually pretty poor, but that has been done to death in Infantry Weapons and Staff Cannons vs Missiles and Railguns threads, so lets not go there.

The travellers pistols would make a good sidearm, but not a main weapon. The fact that Ronon goes around killing everythin in sight and range shows not that it is awesome, but that Ronon is broken!
                sigpic
                385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Garrowan5th View Post

Most of season one they don't. The only energy weapon they have is Teal'cs staff.

As for the P90, its far from the perfect choice of weapon, and staffs are actually pretty poor, but that has been done to death in Infantry Weapons and Staff Cannons vs Missiles and Railguns threads, so lets not go there.

The travellers pistols would make a good sidearm, but not a main weapon. The fact that Ronon goes around killing everythin in sight and range shows not that it is awesome, but that Ronon is broken!
                  well that is explaneble because the dont find the first zat gun before the last episode in season 1

Comment

Originally posted by ha´tak View Post
                    well that is explaneble because the dont find the first zat gun before the last episode in season 1
                    Yeh, I know. but the above comment said they had zats pretty much the whole time.......
                    sigpic
                    385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Garrowan5th View Post
                      Yeh, I know. but the above comment said they had zats pretty much the whole time.......
                      all the time after season 1

Comment

Well, I think a Wraith stunner is quite an effective weapon, if it had a stun gun. I think it is on purpose that we got the best (except Asurans pistol and Traveler gun) hand weapons, because we always sucked with ships and planetary defense tech. Untill we got the knowlegde of the Asgard off course.

Comment

Can't they remove the Anubis soldier killer weapon bit / i think sometimes an ARG part from the P90's and add some sort of stunner? flick a button, projectile bullets, flick it again, automatic stun bullets

Comment

Originally posted by strider2289 View Post
                            They're small unit teams though they dont spend so long behind enemy lines that ammo's an issue. That was my point with the lantean and asuran weapons we've seen them stun not kill where did you get the kill setting? Its possible that they only stun and the wraith reverse engineered them to create their stunners.
                            Season 4 of Atlantis, "This Mortal Coil," I think is the episode title. The other Shepard in the Puddle jumper was shot by an Asuran, and given the scene, presumably killed by its blast.

Comment

There hasnt been a main energy weapon which can compare to Tauri weapons, its a classic trait of stargate. The Traveller pistols should become a side arm for Atlantis team members, its by far the most effective energy weapon seen in stargate, it surpasses all goauld, wraith and ancient weapons of all types.
                              Technically we did develop an energy weapon, the Kull disruptor that could be modified to kill and stuff, but it would never have the rate of fire that we need to maintain our edge.
                              sigpic
                              You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                              Stargate : Genesis |
                              Original Starship DesignThread
                              Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                              11000! green me

Comment

Working...
                              X