PDA

View Full Version : Best DVD Episode Commentaries

Major Fischer
November 19th, 2004, 11:11 AM
What do people think the best episode commentaries were for each season (for those seasons that had them).

berserklover
November 19th, 2004, 11:21 AM
I don't watch them, I reither watch the episode and the extra, but commentaries are too long and boring.

couchpotatergater
November 19th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Hi, new to all this, but had to attempt a reply to this. The commentary of Peter Deluise adds a whole new dimension to the episodes. I am now unable to watch Prodigy without thinking of "poo pains" :S !! I consider myself a 'regular' viewer these days!!

Major Fischer
November 19th, 2004, 11:33 AM
I only have season 7 right now, the others are all coming in the mail. But just on the basis of that season.

I rather liked the commentary for Lifeboat (a PDL commentary, which might be the reason).

I found the commentary for Heroes Part 1 incredibly boring (it's the director and the director of photography discussing filming techiniques for the most part that i could tell).

The Heroes Part 2 commentary was much better (it included RCC too, and had much more story discussion).

Inaugration was a very good commentary, but the best on the set was definately the Lost City commentary.

lord-anubis
November 19th, 2004, 11:41 AM
i think falen homcomeing are good but my fav are evolution 1 and 2 also enemy mine and the lost city

Suebsg9
November 19th, 2004, 11:45 AM
depends on if you are going by the seasons:

season four: PDL and his commentary on the first ones and also PRODIGY <only way to actually watch that one>! and michael shanks commentary on 'double jeopardy' i found entertaining talking about his directing of the eps.!

season five: hard to say this season may have to skip it and season six!

season seven: well commentary for FALLEN, HOMECOMING AND REVISION were my fave again cause MS did commentary in it! and not sure how many others i listened to since i get the UK region so i listen to them pretty early on and well forget lol :)

couchpotatergater
November 19th, 2004, 11:56 AM
I only have season 7 right now, the others are all coming in the mail. But just on the basis of that season.

I rather liked the commentary for Lifeboat (a PDL commentary, which might be the reason).

I found the commentary for Heroes Part 1 incredibly boring (it's the director and the director of photography discussing filming techiniques for the most part that i could tell).

The Heroes Part 2 commentary was much better (it included RCC too, and had much more story discussion).

Inaugration was a very good commentary, but the best on the set was definately the Lost City commentary.

I've got to agree with you on Heroes (although it pains me to be negative!). I always watch the season through (most of mine are box sets - my will power's not that good!), & then watch them again & watch the commentary after each one. As a rule I like PDLs & MWs best, & I love it if the actors do them.

tara3583
November 19th, 2004, 12:05 PM
I love those with PDL and MW also Amanda has
some good ones with these as well, i find them
much more interesting if they can make it fun to listen to and learn something of their craft
at the same time.

sugarshaker
November 19th, 2004, 12:12 PM
I think the commentaries by PDL are usually pretty entertaining, but the ones where they talk technicalities are boring. It's funny how some of the funnier episodes have less interesting comentaries. For example, I thought The Other Guys was a funny episode and was looking forward to the commentary, but I found it really dull and didn't even finish it.

couchpotatergater
November 19th, 2004, 12:25 PM
I feel duty bound to watch them regardless, & not being the most observant person in the world they do alert me to some of the subtler 'extras' & get me looking out for more, but sometimes you spot something & they don't mention it & it's really disappointing

Starfury
November 19th, 2004, 12:38 PM
I have to confess that I've never actually listened to the commentary on any of the Stargate episodes, but I have some general observations anyway.

Commentary by actors is always the best, mainly because actors are entertainers by trade, whereas the crew are basically a bunch of geeks who like to talk about techie trade stuff that most people find incredibly boring. Another reason actor commentary is more interesting is because the audience already feels a connection to the actors, through their characters. We care about what Amanda and Michael have to say because we care about Sam and Daniel. We don't give a flip about what the cinematographer has to say because we've never "met" him and we don't care about him as a person.

The next most interesting group of commentators are producers, directors and writers; people who are more involved in the overall creative process, whose roles in creating the finished product we are better able to "see" and more or less understand, and therefore their commentaries often resonate more with viewers. We feel we "know" them because we have more of a sense of who they are through their work. It helps if they themselves are big fans of the show (like Joss Whedon. His commentaries on the Buffy DVDs are fun, because he's such a fanboy).

Then there are the more interesting "below the line" people like the special effects team and the stunt coordinator who get to do cool and exciting stuff that we actually get to see, so we like them. But even then, these folks are better off in a "making of" featurette where we can see their faces and watch them show us what they do, instead of just listening to them telling us how they did it.

Lastly you have basically everybody else--editors, mixers, gaffers, grips, set and costume designers, cameramen, etc. My advice to DVD producers is that if you can't get some of the actors and producers/directors/writers involved (preferably a mixture of them, and if you want to be nice to your crew you can throw in some boring people too) to do your commentary, don't bother, because unless your sound editor, caterer or best boy has a night job as a standup comic, nobody cares.

Skydiver
November 19th, 2004, 12:44 PM
if you want info and facts, go for the wil waring and the other director, lighitng, prop etc. guys.

they have great info....just aren't al that scintilating

you want to laugh, go for the peter, amanda, don and gary jones' ones

couchpotatergater
November 19th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Has anyone got the region 2 season 7 vol 37 & been able to access an extra quoted on the back as "Easter Egg: RDA "My life as a Mime"? It's listed on the back of mine but I can't find anything on the menus - what is it? Is it on region 1 & has anyone seen it???

norriski
November 19th, 2004, 03:18 PM
I'm not sure I could tell you which commentary if my favorite...but I will admit to loving them, even the ones most people find boaring...PD's are always funny, anytime the actors are involved is great, I love the Gary Jones does them sometimes even for ep's he wasn't in....MW does a great job too...like I said I just love hearing the behind the sceens stuff....I on all my DVD SG1 or movies, anything with a commentary I'll watch it first, then with the commentary...I'll even listen to the commentaries more than once on some....

Watters87
November 19th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Has anyone got the region 2 season 7 vol 37 & been able to access an extra quoted on the back as "Easter Egg: RDA "My life as a Mime"? It's listed on the back of mine but I can't find anything on the menus - what is it? Is it on region 1 & has anyone seen it???

If you go to the behind the scene's menu it is there. It is not written down but if you keep pressing the down button a green circle will appear bottom left and just click on it. :)

Martin Wood's commentaries are my favourites. He gives excellent views on episodes and points out little details that I wouldn't have known.

Greesha
November 19th, 2004, 03:33 PM
My favorite are the commentaries with Gary Jones or Peter DeLuise (or both), although i can't think of any specific episodes at the moment. The commentary for "Changeling" was also very good, although i can't watch it anymore without thinking about how Chris Judge has a booger up his nose... :p

keshou
November 19th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Commentaries -

In general I like all the commentaries by the actors because they're entertaining. I can see why they have so much fun on the set - they all have a great sense of humor and seem like nice people. Actors tend to discuss the way they play scenes and the behind the scenes antics. I always enjoy their insights into these characters they've played for so many years.

PDL can be hysterically funny - especially in some of the S4 commentaries. Although he does push the boundaries of bodily function humor on occasion. ;) MW is probably the guy I've learned the most from, along with James Tichenor, as to the "magic" of making the show. I think I've enjoyed *all* of MW's commentaries and found him to be particularly honest. If he thinks he did something wrong or the story really doesn't hang together - he'll tell you.

Some of the other guys - set decorators, etc. are interesting but a little dry on occasion. The writers are usually interesting although a couple are kind of quiet. :)

S7 is freshest on my mind and I guess I generally enjoyed the commentaries for the episodes I liked the most - no great surprise. I was disappointed in a few of them but it's hard to please everybody. For example I was really more interested in the Osiris side of the story in Chimera and that was barely touched on in the commentary. I guess they were responding to the fan uproar over the other half of the story but I felt disappointed at the end. On the other hand I was pleasantly surprised by the commentary for Inauguration - with Michael Greenburg - he should do more.

S4 is the first season they did commentaries and overall is one of my favorites. But they're all good. I really think we're fortunate that these people take the time to do commentaries for every episode - unpaid, on their own time. It's a great gift to the fans!

Starfury
November 19th, 2004, 04:36 PM
I really think we're fortunate that these people take the time to do commentaries for every episode - unpaid, on their own time. It's a great gift to the fans!
Seriously? They don't get paid a cent? I figured the pay was probably pretty miniscule but I didn't think they did it completely for free.

Well, if that's true, it's really cool.

keshou
November 19th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Seriously? They don't get paid a cent? I figured the pay was probably pretty miniscule but I didn't think they did it completely for free.

Well, if that's true, it's really cool.
That's what James Tichenor said in his blog. It stuck in my memory because it surprised me. He stopped doing many commentaries in S7 because he didn't want to give up his personal weekend time with his new little baby.

I guess I shouldn't say that's true for all of them - perhaps the actors or other TPTB have some special arrangements in their contracts.

couchpotatergater
November 20th, 2004, 12:26 PM
[QUOTE=Watters87]If you go to the behind the scene's menu it is there. It is not written down but if you keep pressing the down button a green circle will appear bottom left and just click on it. :)

Thanks, watters87; have tried but still no dice, must be my DVD. Back to thread, sorry for digression. :o
I think overall the commentaries for seasons 4 & 5 seem the freshest. I'd have loved to have the commentaries for season 1,2 & 3, just to witness the progression of the show.

Mr Prophet
November 20th, 2004, 01:28 PM
My favorite are the commentaries with Gary Jones or Peter DeLuise (or both), although i can't think of any specific episodes at the moment. The commentary for "Changeling" was also very good, although i can't watch it anymore without thinking about how Chris Judge has a booger up his nose... :p

I'm a big fan of Gary Jones on the commentary for The Sentinel. His comments on teh fine art of 'reaching' are a hoot. :D

Tanith
November 20th, 2004, 01:56 PM
The Peter DeLuise commentaries crack me up, and when Gary Jones joins him it's even better. One of my favourite commentaries with the both of them was The Sentinal, the whole 'reaching' thing and the slow talking when dying had me in hysterics. And there's the whole poo cramps thing.

Martin Wood is also great because he gives detail on the episode, and is funny at the same time. It's always great when the cast give their views aswell.

I'm not a big fan of the commentaries by the lighting guys and the set designers, i've actually fallen asleep through a few of those.

Watters87
November 20th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Thanks, watters87; have tried but still no dice, must be my DVD. Back to thread, sorry for digression. :o

Couchpotatergater, I made a mistake earlier. Go to Special features and scroll down to where WWW is and then press the right button. The green circle should appear on the right bottom. :)

couchpotatergater
November 20th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Couchpotatergater, I made a mistake earlier. Go to Special features and scroll down to where WWW is and then press the right button. The green circle should appear on the right bottom. :)

Watters87 you are a genius *abasement*, my insomnia is cured, thankyou & goodnight!! : ;)

Major Fischer
November 20th, 2004, 02:31 PM
OMG, so my Season 4 set came today and I am watching it and I just hit Prodigy. OMG. I'll be scared for life.

couchpotatergater
November 20th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Ain't it a beaut - it's like Beavis & Butthead do Stargate...heheheh :D

Beatrice Otter
November 22nd, 2004, 12:38 AM

Well, I have a friend who wants to be involved in the film/telivision industry, and she is _far_ more interested in commentaries like that than more story/character/anecdote oriented ones because she learns more about the craft of filmmaking that way. Me, I'd agree with you, but in seven seasons I figure there're enough eps to give enough different style commentaries to please everyone.

roswellgray
November 22nd, 2004, 12:51 AM
I have to confess that I've never actually listened to the commentary on any of the Stargate episodes, but I have some general observations anyway.

The next most interesting group of commentators are producers, directors and writers; people who are more involved in the overall creative process, whose roles in creating the finished product we are better able to "see" and more or less understand, and therefore their commentaries often resonate more with viewers. We feel we "know" them because we have more of a sense of who they are through their work. It helps if they themselves are big fans of the show (like Joss Whedon. His commentaries on the Buffy DVDs are fun, because he's such a fanboy).

Then there are the more interesting "below the line" people like the special effects team and the stunt coordinator who get to do cool and exciting stuff that we actually get to see, so we like them. But even then, these folks are better off in a "making of" featurette where we can see their faces and watch them show us what they do, instead of just listening to them telling us how they did it.

you know that's your opinion. if I could I would gladly go meet the special effects and production sets people. But if they offered the chance to meet the actors I would say no for illusion spoiling reasons.

BruTak
November 24th, 2004, 02:13 AM
Any commentary with Peter De Luise. 'Nuff said?

eye of botox
November 26th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Poo Cramps for the Prodigy episode.

Poooo Cramps. I swear, that is the commentary to end all commentaries. Paullozi and DeLuise. I laughed so hard listening to that commentary, I think I woke up the neighbor. It should be mandatory to listen to for any one recording a commentary, cause honestly, Grace's almost made me shake the TV.

And dare we forget the now infamous words to the Stargate themesong?

I, for one, cannot listen to the theme without at least thinking (if not singing) "you can go really far, and you don't need a car or even a ship.." da,da,da Stargate....

BruTak
November 27th, 2004, 02:23 AM
Going off on a slight tangent here, but...

The best Audio Commentary on a non-Stargate DVD I've ever heard has to be the Director/Cast Commentary on Neil Marshall's Dog Soldiers.

The Plot: A bunch of British squaddies go on manouvers in the Highlands of Scotland, and are subsequently attacked by a pack of werewolves.

The Commentary: Director Neil Marshall and members of the cast - including Sean Pertwee, Kevin McKidd and Liam Cunningham were locked in the screening room with copious amounts of alcohol and left to their own devices for the duration of the movie.

Mr Prophet
November 27th, 2004, 05:04 AM
What I like about the Dog Soldiers commentary is the comforting reassurance that the filmmakers didn't know what the plot was either. It's a great help in letting one put worries aside and just enjoy the movie.

What about the commentary on The Thing, though? John Carpenter, Kurt Russell and the tell-tale clink of glasses.