This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destiny's tech

How has it survived so long? if as some people have speculated it is of an older construction to atlantis then how can it have survived? even atlentis at full power cannot survive in space for any way near the kind of time that the destiny has, it must have shields or it would have been destroyed br radiation or rogue asteroids, i must have weapons. drones run out, so do zpm's so how is it still functional (is it powered by a working version of project acturis and has it got beam beapons like the ori rather than drones) DISCUSS, HAVE FUN

It did because the writers said it did.

Comment

It uses solar/radiation panels that absorb and convert energy as it travels through space.

Comment

Well as I know the writers themselves stated that the Destiny will be older(thousand or million years?) than Atlantis. As we can see it on the concept arts, it's design is similar to the Ancient technologies in SG-1(especially in The Ark of Truth).

Because it's much older than Atlantis I don't think it will have drone weapons or ZPMs, especially not the Power Generator from Project Arcturus(the Ancients hadn't been able to use that machine safely).

Comment

The idea was to seed stargate's throughout to the end of the universe. If they had stagates and interstellar travel, they could easily have shields to protect the ship, and they might ahve incorporated cloaking technology just in case it got attacked. It wouldn't need weapons, it has no people and is a scout ship.
          As for power, the Ancients knew it would take a lot of power to get it to the "end" of the universe, so they would have put a lot of power into it, probably a self-renewing power source like incredibly powerful solar panels to build energy from the starts that it would pass.

sigpic

Comment

what you have to remember is that this ship was built by the Altera, and while they are related to the ancients, the Altera exisited millions and millions of years ago, just the same with humans and cave men. i wouldn't be surprised if the ship has a power source like the other carter from the road not taken had designed, which was practically limitless. And i wouldn't get to hung up on the fact that if it wasn't show in atlantis then it couldn't be on the destiny, becuase the way i look at it, the 'lanteans' were a bunch of retards that couldn't do anything right!. Atlantis was original built by the Altera/anceints, the lanteans came later, they must of been the product of too much inbreeding because they seriously lack in the smarts department compared to the Altera/Ancients, seriously, they have never been able to do anything properly.
            The ancient head sucker things were also created by the ancients before they left for the pegasus galaxy, and they has been more use to us then five years of the lantean database, seems to me that the lanteans must of gone through some sort of 'dark age' and lost mass amounts of knowledge somehow, thats the only conclusion i can come up with lol.

anyway back on point, I at all wouldn't be surprised to see even more advanced tech on the destiny (within reason of course) i would still expect to see ring transporters on board, because we can see that they progressed to the closet things seen in Atlantis, but power source wise, some sort of renewable or limitless( in terms of simpler arcturus design/ 'the road not taken') power source would be acceptable, after all this was made and designed pretty much after the Altera first came to the milky way, it probably seeded the milky way gate system, aswell as the pegasus system. Maybe even a energy weapon or 2, or maybe the first design of the drone weapons, but completely energy based, because the drones are a mixture of projectile and energy, so maybe a completely energy based drone, but which is kinda less effective of course, or maybe no weapons at all, after all the Altera were completely pacisfist (sp?) so maybe they just had a cloak like the Nox, that way the new team gets to fit asgard beam weapons on the ship, because the ship is bound to have some sort of matter convertor onboard.

Comment

The Ancients would have guessed that this mission/task of seeding more galaxies with Stargates was going to be a very long one so I'm sure they would have realised that a LOT of power was going to be required. Also they had been going into space for thousands of years so I'm sure they will be able to shield it from radiation and they would have calculated the requirements needed to spend that length of time in space.

Comment

Originally posted by xandder View Post
                what you have to remember is that this ship was built by the Altera, and while they are related to the ancients, the Altera exisited millions and millions of years ago, just the same with humans and cave men. i wouldn't be surprised if the ship has a power source like the other carter from the road not taken had designed, which was practically limitless. And i wouldn't get to hung up on the fact that if it wasn't show in atlantis then it couldn't be on the destiny, becuase the way i look at it, the 'lanteans' were a bunch of retards that couldn't do anything right!. Atlantis was original built by the Altera/anceints, the lanteans came later, they must of been the product of too much inbreeding because they seriously lack in the smarts department compared to the Altera/Ancients, seriously, they have never been able to do anything properly.
                The ancient head sucker things were also created by the ancients before they left for the pegasus galaxy, and they has been more use to us then five years of the lantean database, seems to me that the lanteans must of gone through some sort of 'dark age' and lost mass amounts of knowledge somehow, thats the only conclusion i can come up with lol.

anyway back on point, I at all wouldn't be surprised to see even more advanced tech on the destiny (within reason of course) i would still expect to see ring transporters on board, because we can see that they progressed to the closet things seen in Atlantis, but power source wise, some sort of renewable or limitless( in terms of simpler arcturus design/ 'the road not taken') power source would be acceptable, after all this was made and designed pretty much after the Altera first came to the milky way, it probably seeded the milky way gate system, aswell as the pegasus system. Maybe even a energy weapon or 2, or maybe the first design of the drone weapons, but completely energy based, because the drones are a mixture of projectile and energy, so maybe a completely energy based drone, but which is kinda less effective of course, or maybe no weapons at all, after all the Altera were completely pacisfist (sp?) so maybe they just had a cloak like the Nox, that way the new team gets to fit asgard beam weapons on the ship, because the ship is bound to have some sort of matter convertor onboard.

i have been trying to make this ecact point in other parts of the forum, i believe that just cos it looks old dus'nt meen that it is less advanced than atlantis. as many have said the destiny was built at the height of there civilation whereas atlantis was built in the decline, so i thing it very plausable that the destimy may have tech that was lost to the ancients millenia before the construxtion of atlantis, that may explain the speculation (mostly mine) that a version of the project arcturus generator may be onboard the destiny and the version in the episode trinity may have been an attempt to rediscover the tech. i agree with you that the lanteans were idiots especialy when compared to the minds that would have created the knowledge repositories and even the weapon at dakara. if our theorys of the tech onboard the destiny are right or even close it promices to be one hell of a show. and i am convinced that the destiny has advanced weapons systems, why get out of the way of a meteor or comet, or risk it damaging the shields inapropriatly when it could just blast it out of the way

Comment

Its Ori Powered...

Hallowed Are the Ori
                  Skate Zilla/Digital Overload

Comment

Ancients are the same as lantians

Comment

Originally posted by BloodNight View Post
                      Ancients are the same as lantians
                      not quite, ancients are asended alterans/lanteans, lanteans merly is a destinction of wheresomebody is from, just like in the uk where we have Mancunians from Manchester, Scousers from Liverpool ect. however the people of atlantis were known to be very proud and concieted or to put it another way smug, they often attempted projects far beyond there capabilities (pegasus replicatore, project arturus, the wraith. need i say more) they know than something may go wrong but tried anyway, hence idiots

Comment

i also think there will be a 'caretaker' in stasis onboard the destiny who i think will join the team as a science officer type (hopefully alongside Mckay)

Comment

Originally posted by toby1kanobi View Post
                          not quite, ancients are asended alterans/lanteans, lanteans merly is a destinction of wheresomebody is from, just like in the uk where we have Mancunians from Manchester, Scousers from Liverpool ect. however the people of atlantis were known to be very proud and concieted or to put it another way smug, they often attempted projects far beyond there capabilities (pegasus replicatore, project arturus, the wraith. need i say more) they know than something may go wrong but tried anyway, hence idiots
                          For god's sake not this again...

An "Ancient" is what the peoples of the Milky Way call a member of the Alteran race, because they were a very ancient and powerful race that helped shape the galaxy. A "Lantean" or "Ancestor" is what the peoples of Pegasus call an Ancient, the former because of their capital (the planet Lantea and the city Atlantis), and the latter because they are thought to be the ancestors of those living today.

They are all the same species, though, only with different names (think "Colonials" becoming "Americans" at the end of the American Revolutionary War).
                          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                            For god's sake not this again...

An "Ancient" is what the peoples of the Milky Way call a member of the Alteran race, because they were a very ancient and powerful race that helped shape the galaxy. A "Lantean" or "Ancestor" is what the peoples of Pegasus call an Ancient, the former because of their capital (the planet Lantea and the city Atlantis), and the latter because they are thought to be the ancestors of those living today.

They are all the same species, though, only with different names (think "Colonials" becoming "Americans" at the end of the American Revolutionary War).

yea they might be the same species but that doesn't mean anything, how else can you justify the fact that the lanteans are a bunch of 'retards' while the ancients/altera were practically all knowing, they acheived everything that they set out to, unlike the lanteans.
                            just because they are the 'same' species doesn't mean that they are all the same, knowledge wise, take the english/americans and then look at the japanese, we are the same species but the japanese are creating things way more advanced than us, in the same time period (although by advanced im not talking space ships lol but look at mobile phones for instance, the latest model we have (english/american) is pretty dated by comparison to the japanese)

the ancient time goes ALTERA- ANCIENT- LANTEAN with millions of years seperating them all, so its entirely resonably to believe that technology was lost or that the lanteans went through some kind of 'dark age' or why else would they be so stupid compared to the altera/ancient.

people might argue the fact that the 'lanteans' came before the 'ancients' due to the fact that in 'before i sleep' wier tells the lantean council that humans call them the ancients, to which the council seems surprised, like they have never heard that before. but that was a mistake, because when the first head sucker thing that SG1 was found, the writing on the floor stated that it was built by the ancients, and it is the same design as Altera design objects, like the long space communicater thing in season 9 of SG1.

And yes while they are all essentially the 'same' species, its easier to think of 'ancients' and the 'Lanteans' as 'sub' species of the Altera, just on a different 'evolutionary' path, which just happened to end in the same place. it has been stated numerous time that some 'Ancients' accended before the others went to the pegasus galaxy, while the majority of the 'lanteans' accended only after they returned to earth. we know this because Oma accended and from what we know she never went to the pegasus galaxy, meaning that she accended before the others left for pegasus. Thats like 5 million+ years between them, so taking that as an example, the 'ancients' must of been more advanced than the 'lanteans' because they achieved accension first. This must mean that a huge part of the evolution of the Altera line went into resession because people usually get more advanced as time goes on, but this isn't the case with the ancients>lanteans.

Comment

Originally posted by xandder View Post
                              yea they might be the same species but that doesn't mean anything, how else can you justify the fact that the lanteans are a bunch of 'retards' while the ancients/altera were practically all knowing, they acheived everything that they set out to, unlike the lanteans.
                              just because they are the 'same' species doesn't mean that they are all the same, knowledge wise, take the english/americans and then look at the japanese, we are the same species but the japanese are creating things way more advanced than us, in the same time period (although by advanced im not talking space ships lol but look at mobile phones for instance, the latest model we have (english/american) is pretty dated by comparison to the japanese)

the ancient time goes ALTERA- ANCIENT- LANTEAN with millions of years seperating them all, so its entirely resonably to believe that technology was lost or that the lanteans went through some kind of 'dark age' or why else would they be so stupid compared to the altera/ancient.

people might argue the fact that the 'lanteans' came before the 'ancients' due to the fact that in 'before i sleep' wier tells the lantean council that humans call them the ancients, to which the council seems surprised, like they have never heard that before. but that was a mistake, because when the first head sucker thing that SG1 was found, the writing on the floor stated that it was built by the ancients, and it is the same design as Altera design objects, like the long space communicater thing in season 9 of SG1.

And yes while they are all essentially the 'same' species, its easier to think of 'ancients' and the 'Lanteans' as 'sub' species of the Altera, just on a different 'evolutionary' path, which just happened to end in the same place. it has been stated numerous time that some 'Ancients' accended before the others went to the pegasus galaxy, while the majority of the 'lanteans' accended only after they returned to earth. we know this because Oma accended and from what we know she never went to the pegasus galaxy, meaning that she accended before the others left for pegasus. Thats like 5 million+ years between them, so taking that as an example, the 'ancients' must of been more advanced than the 'lanteans' because they achieved accension first. This must mean that a huge part of the evolution of the Altera line went into resession because people usually get more advanced as time goes on, but this isn't the case with the ancients>lanteans.
                              1. The Lanteans are depicted as inept to make the humans look more cunning and clever. It's a terrible plot device and most fans take offense at it, but, if you want to go with the reality of the show, the Lanteans are just as advanced and intelligent as other sects of Alterans.

2. The whole naming thing was retconned over the years, with the Alterans becoming known as "Ancients" after they left for Pegasus, not before as is suggested in "The Fifth Race."

3. Oma could easily have been an Ancient that happened to discover ascension early, or one that ascended to escape the Plague. That doesn't mean she's a different race altogether or more intelligent.
                              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Working...
                              X