This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toying with the Event Horizon

I always wondered, (my mind is weird this way) exactly what would happen if somone entered the Star Gate from the other side. Would they merely step through the "blue" and back into the gate room? Would they emerge from the other side of the offworld gate? Would they get spat backwards? Or would they simply die? It's all very mysterious... could entering from the back actually take you to a different location?

WOrking from that principal, what if some idiot decided to stick one arm in both sides of the wormhole, would he get ripped apart?

And just for fun, can you stick your arm through the wormhole and give some stupid Goa'uld the finger whilst remaining in the safety of the SGC?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Giving a Goa'uld the finger shouldn't be a problem. Jack was able to 'keep the door open in Shades of Grey. As for going in the back of the Stargate? Dunno.
    I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Yes he did, but could you see his hand through the other side?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
        I always wondered, (my mind is weird this way) exactly what would happen if somone entered the Star Gate from the other side.
        Although it has never to my knowledge been stated on the show, I think common consensus is that if you walked in the wrong side of the wormhole, you'd die. There could probably be arguments made that nothing would happen, but I kinda like the idea of someone being dissolved that way.

WOrking from that principal, what if some idiot decided to stick one arm in both sides of the wormhole, would he get ripped apart?
        I don't think anything would happen, but you wouldn't be able to reach in from either side and grab your hands.

And just for fun, can you stick your arm through the wormhole and give some stupid Goa'uld the finger whilst remaining in the safety of the SGC?
        Putting your hand in might keep the wormhole open, but you don't actually transit until you have fully stepped through.

Comment

I always had a problem with that whole "holding the gate open" thing in SoG.
          In 100 Days when a MALP is sent thru the gate it falls back onto the event horizon and is instantly vapourised. Yet Jack steps thru, then sticks his arm in and it doesn't get cut off at the elbow.

As far as going thru the horizon from the back, I guess that you would be vapourised.
          But I can't explain why.

I'll have to think about this......hmm.
          sigpic

Comment

in England, we used to have a sitcom called "Goodnight Sweetheart" it was about a man named Gary Sparrow who discovered that he could travel through time to World War 2 England by walking though a specific brick wall. Only he could do it. One day he accidentally walked through the "gate" the wrong way and he went back to Victorian England instead. Im not saying something like that would happen, but it was that which spurred the question in my mind.

it's kinda a shame that you'd die by going in the backway, maybe one day theyll send a probe.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SeaBee
              I always had a problem with that whole "holding the gate open" thing in SoG. ...Yet Jack steps thru, then sticks his arm in and it doesn't get cut off at the elbow.
              Did he step fully through and then put his arm back in? I didn't pay close attention to that scene. I always assumed he came mostly through but left his arm sticking in the event horizon/wormhole.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaBee
                I always had a problem with that whole "holding the gate open" thing in SoG.
                In 100 Days when a MALP is sent thru the gate it falls back onto the event horizon and is instantly vapourised. Yet Jack steps thru, then sticks his arm in and it doesn't get cut off at the elbow.
                Jack didn't go all the way back through, whereas the MALP did.
                "When all else fails, there's always delusion." - Conan O'Brien

Comment

well if you would think in Star Trek terms, you the other side of the wormhole should work just as the front....but in here they decided that only from the from they can go somewhere, may be in some episode it is explained what might happen...

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                    Did he step fully through and then put his arm back in? I didn't pay close attention to that scene.
                    They never showed us... they just show Jack entering the gate, then the next thing you know we see him standing in the SGC with his arm in the gate.

I always assumed he came mostly through but left his arm sticking in the event horizon/wormhole.
                    So did I.
                    ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
                    The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

Putting your hand in might keep the wormhole open, but you don't actually transit until you have fully stepped through.
                      yes but in "100 Days' Teal'c shot a grappling hook thing through the gate with the rop atatched and climb up through the gate. so the rope went all the way through the gate and was off world and in the SGC at the same time so it obviously doesn't have to wait until the object is fully entered in the gate to send it off world

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                        yes but in "100 Days' Teal'c shot a grappling hook thing through the gate with the rop atatched and climb up through the gate. so the rope went all the way through the gate and was off world and in the SGC at the same time so it obviously doesn't have to wait until the object is fully entered in the gate to send it off world
                        And if Jack's arm was as long as the grappling hook and rope, maybe he could have been on both sides of the wormhole at the same time, too.

Comment

And if Jack's arm was as long as the grappling hook and rope, maybe he could have been on both sides of the wormhole at the same time, too.
                          The Gate is pretty advanced and amazing technology. I'm sure taking into account the volocity, size, shape, and whatnot of the traveller, it can tell if something is actually trying to go through or not. Like in Watergate, when it held back the water.
                          "When all else fails, there's always delusion." - Conan O'Brien

Comment

Walking through the back of the gate probably kills you, but we don't know.

Going into an incoming wormhole does kill you (A Hundred Days).

You can stick your hand into an incoming or outgoing wormhole and remove it safely (The Enemy Within, New Ground), but your hand does not appear on the other side of the gate until you step through completely.

Here only two things are possible:
                            - Something really weird happened in that Teal'c shot the rope through then walked through himself. The hook then shot out the other side once Teal'c had entered the wormhole, and then Teal'c followed it.... it's hard to explain, but basically everything stayed at the same side of the wormhole all the time.

- It didn't actually work. We only saw him shoot it through. It could have just slipped back out of the event horizon and they came up with a new plan, like Teal'c running through and shooting up once he got to the other side.

I don't know which one is more plausable...

Comment

I think the deal is that when Teal'c shot it through, had it not been secured on the other end, he could have pulled it back through. So I'm thinking if someone stuck their arm in, it goes to the other end but can be pulled back through. Just a theory.
                              Sheppard and Mitchell: and you were worried they were going to be O'Neill clones?

Two of my favorite shows are about Jonathan Sheppard, assuming Jack is always short for Jonathan. Weird, huh? (Lost and Atlantis)

Comment

Working...
                              X