• Show
Clear All

About.com: New Stargate Series Only Months Away

SGU

http://scifi.about.com/b/2008/10/29/...onths-away.htm

excerpt:

New Stargate Series Only Months Away
    Wednesday October 29, 2008

The character breakdowns for the rest of the cast emphasize youth and physical attractiveness, and the apparently superficiality of this generated some fan concern. But then, Amanda Tapping and Michael Shanks weren't cast for SG-1 a decade ago without consideration of their youth and good looks, either. My question is, why does there always have to be a sarcastic, slacker techno-genius? Every show on TV has one. Does Vancouver have an oversupply of these guys, or what?

REST AT LINK ABOVE

Originally posted by prion View Post
    But then, Amanda Tapping and Michael Shanks weren't cast for SG-1 a decade ago without consideration of their youth and good looks, either.
    Was Daniel supposed to be every teenage girl's fantasy, though? Sam is a brilliant scientist and highly competent officer. A lot of viewers find her stunning and sexy too but this aspect was never made into the most important part of the character. We can but hope that Chloe will be a politically and socially savvy young woman who just happens to be stunning and sexy with it.

I liked this bit from the article -

The premise involves a human task force that encounters the abandoned ship, the Destiny, and end up becoming trapped aboard it as it takes them to the furthest regions of unknown space. (Though I'm willing to bet they'll have Douglas-fir trees there.)
    sigpic

Comment

The Douglas-Fir tree mission: To go where no tree has gone before.
      sigpic

Comment

Only months away? Mid-2009 is not "only months away", LOL.

Regarding the "youth and physical attractiveness" concern, when I saw Stargate SG-1 premise, AT's and MS' look was not on my mind, yes AT is attractive even to this day still is but her beauty is not what made me want to watch the show.

I have faith in this series, I want to see it, it is Stargate and it's expanding outwards and that's cool, but characters that's based on superficiality is not what makes me want to watch a show, it's the stories.

I don't watch Grey's Anatomy cos the cast are attractive or Private Practice or Pushing Daisies, I watch em cos of the stories. Yes, a pleasant face goes a long way but it comes a point where it goes overboard IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by JackHarkness_Hot View Post
          Only months away? Mid-2009 is not "only months away", LOL.

Regarding the "youth and physical attractiveness" concern, when I saw Stargate SG-1 premise, AT's and MS' look was not on my mind, yes AT is attractive even to this day still is but her beauty is not what made me want to watch the show.

I have faith in this series, I want to see it, it is Stargate and it's expanding outwards and that's cool, but characters that's based on superficiality is not what makes me want to watch a show, it's the stories.

I don't watch Grey's Anatomy cos the cast are attractive or Private Practice or Pushing Daisies, I watch em cos of the stories. Yes, a pleasant face goes a long way but it comes a point where it goes overboard IMO.
          I'm pretty sure it is...

Comment

8 months for say June/July launch date is not "only". That's a long time!!

Comment

It's only months away, as opposed to a year, or more. The word 'only' being used has nothing to do with how many months they're talking about.

Comment

Yes, you can say it's months away but half a year is far more accurate imo than "only months away" which usually conjures up the sense of less than 6 months.

Comment

Yes, you can say it's months away but half a year is far more accurate imo than "only months away" which usually conjures up the sense of less than 6 months.
                  To who? You maybe. The amount of time until we see it is measured in months, only months, that's the point.

Comment

Agreed. The normal supposition of when someone says "months away" is usually less than six months. If it's half a year away, then just say so, but TPTB don't want the fans going "that long?" and going elsewhere..

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                      If it's half a year away, then just say so, but TPTB don't want the fans going "that long?" and going elsewhere..
                      Unfortunately for TPTB the average Stargate fan is bright enough to work out how many months away the middle of 2009 is.
                      sigpic

Comment

Months away sounds correct, SGU is coming out in Feb right?
                        Tst

Comment

Originally posted by spinny magee View Post
                          Months away sounds correct, SGU is coming out in Feb right?
                          There was an article which was stated that the Pilot will be in February.

But it's false, because since then the creators of the show stated that the shooting will begin in 2009 February.

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                            Unfortunately for TPTB the average Stargate fan is bright enough to work out how many months away the middle of 2009 is.
                            Maybe it's TPTB who aren't br.... *cough*

Comment

It's only a matter of months away, I'm not sure what any of your are getting at, since when do people count in half-years?

Comment

Working...
                              X