The Ships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ships

The Asgard do have pretty powerful technology. So here's what bothered me, how could the one Traveler ship defeat the Asgard ships so easily?

I realize the 'evil' Asgard said all their intergalactic ships had been destroyed by the Wraith, but surely the Asgard added good defenses and weapons to their left-over ships to make sure they wouldn't lose those.

That story did have many holes in it. Even I was surprised how easily the Asgard ship was blown to hell. I guess it boils down to just 2 words : Shoddy writing.

Comment

I believe that the asgard ships were never that strong in pegasus, an o'neill class from the milky way should be able to take down a hive ship.

These asgard seem to have gone more into ground warfare with military suits and shields. Just as the Milky way asgard would be seriously injured if you punch it. The pegasus asgard have not very good space ships.

Comment

Of course recently the Asgard had some very powerful technology, but that's after most of the last 10,000 or so years without being completely outnumbered and in enemy territory.
        As was made clear by that team of suited Asgard's leader they've been living in isolation, their technological infrastructure would be no where near as sophisticated as their relatives in Ida was.
        They didn't appear to have transporter technology so Matter Conversion tech is probably way beyond them.
        I was actually quite surprised that they had ships like they did as the Asgard we knew would've been able to travel all over their home galaxy in relative safety, mining for metals and other materials with plenty of time to refine their technology to it's best.
        I would imagine that they probably do have some bigger more powerful battle ships in case the Wraith were to locate their current homeworld, but this mission of theirs didn't really call for those kinds of resources and for much of their time in Pegasus they probably didn't even know about the Aterro Device which seemed to be their one big and only plan to free themselves from the threat of the Wraith.
        The one thing that surprised me was how they couldn't remember how to modify their standard hyperdrive technology to the intergalactic kind, unless of course that technology was new to them when arriving in Pegasus, but if in all their time they've been relatively safe hidden from the Wraith they should have been able to develop at least a basic transport ship with intergalactic capabilities, they probably still had stasis technology so even using their current hyperdrive engines I don't see why they couldn't spend a few years in stasis to get to another safer galaxy, anywhere's gotta be better than Pegasus.

It has been said in not so many words on Joe M's blog that they were set to make a come back in season 6 of Atlantis to exact some revenge for ruining their plans, if it had been picked up, so perhaps they may make a return in some future SGA movie.
        That would be sweet to see.

Comment

I would imagine that they never got a chance to advance their technology like their Ida kin did as they had to constantly do so in order to defeat the Replicators. The Pegasus ones have been trapped in isolation with few resources on a toxic planet, doesnt give one the chance to improve their ships. Plus, if their ships were advanced, then they wouldnt have any need to worry about the Wraith which they do so...

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Originally posted by PantheraLeo View Post
            That story did have many holes in it. Even I was surprised how easily the Asgard ship was blown to hell. I guess it boils down to just 2 words : Shoddy writing.
            How is that a plot hole?

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
              How is that a plot hole?
              I know right, I think people are just too used to seeing the Asgard have the better military hardware.
              You have to consider that the Travelers have probably had more of a chance to upgrade their ships than the Asgard, considering that they've probably even learned a few things from studying the Aurora they had in their possession recently, even if they didn't do that they've still been traveling around the Pegasus galaxy, probably developing their shields and weapons after each engagement with the Wraith and scavenging tech from fallen worlds.
              I think had the Asgard come along with a few more of those ships they could've taken the Traveler vessel.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                How is that a plot hole?
                Well, for starters the Asgard are known to have some of the best shields in the universe and have a huge head start over the Travellers in terms of technology so seeing the Traveller ship take down like the Asgard ship so easily was kind of a put down.

And did you all notice this other hole in the plot :

Remember in Atlantis when the Asgard in the suit died in a hail of bullets? How did the bullets manage to penetrate the suit but then Zelenka not be able to open the suit in the examination room? This episode actually has many holes in the plot but they're not very obvious unless you're a super Stargate-freak who scans for the slightest hole in the plot

Comment

But remember the Asgard said they lost their intergalatic ships and couldn't rebuild new ones which makes these Asgard ships are slower. It would be reasonable that these weapons and shields are also weaker.?*
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

I think that the fact that the Asgard fought to the death was a bigger problem. They are a dying race, they shouldn't be needlessly sacrificing their people.

Comment

the way i saw it, the asgard were to preoccupied with trying to fix themselves rather than upgrade their tech

it was a small faction that left Ida many years ago, when their tech wasnt as advanced, they may not have had the resources/manpower to do everything

Comment

Originally posted by PantheraLeo View Post
                        Well, for starters the Asgard are known to have some of the best shields in the universe and have a huge head start over the Travellers in terms of technology so seeing the Traveller ship take down like the Asgard ship so easily was kind of a put down.
                        Uh, that Asgard technology is 10,000 years old, you can't compare it to the technology the Asgard had before their suicide. The Asgard have come a long way in a short time compared to the Ancients, hell, 30,000 years ago they didn't even have hyperdrives, so it's definitively reasonable for 10,000 year old Asgard technology not to be as advanced as the most up to date Traveller ships.

Comment

The Asgards had to have had hyperdrives 30,000 years ago otherwise their stasis ship wouldn't have gotten to the Milky Way.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
                            The Asgards had to have had hyperdrives 30,000 years ago otherwise their stasis ship wouldn't have gotten to the Milky Way.

HEIMDALL: That is one of my ancestors. Thirty thousand years ago a ship was launched from the Asgard homeworld, its crew placed in suspended animation. There was a failure on the navigational system and the ship was lost. Through the millenia it drifted across the empty expanse between our galaxies before it arrived here. We discovered it six months ago.

I suppose it's arguable that they did still have hyperdrives, but then it seems strange they'd be in stasis at all...

Comment

Why is it always skipped by everyone that these ships were built without the proper RESOURCES needed for the original Asgard ships?

They couldn't rebuild their original ships on their own so they just build a weaker version out of what they had.

And yes, they're more about ground fighting than space fighting so that's another thing to consider. Maybe they didn't need powerful ships considering they hide on planets.

Vala,

Comment

Working...
                              X