This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should SGU be less funny?

Theres a lot of comic relief elements in SG1 and SGA should that be toned down for SGU?
    "I'm being extremely clever up here and there's no one to stand around looking impressed! What's the point in having you all?!" - The Doctor (#11)

No. Humor is what makes Stargate different then other SciFi show. You lose the Stargate feel without the humor.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Shpinxinator View Post
      Theres a lot of comic relief elements in SG1 and SGA should that be toned down for SGU?
      By less funny, do you mean like, unrealistic and inhuman, lol. Our lives are rought with Drama, and Sadness and Humor(and horror and anger and raw emotion in general), its what makes us human.

No offense
      Last edited by ASAKATA; 27 October 2008, 07:44 PM. Reason: Forgot all the other things that make us human
      "I didnt see you in church last sunday, were you there?"
      "Yes, I was there."
      "Oi, I didn't see you, I was juss worry apout you"
      "Is dat your chob?! You sit and coun da beople in the churg and not in da churg"
      "No I was chus wondring"
      "Maybe if I win the Lotto Ill make heaps of money and puy you a life"

Comment

No they should not but I think they are going to. Thats what I love about SG, "wink wink we know this is just a tv show, we are just having fun with it." They did say they want it to be darker more like BSG (even if BSG sucks and puts you to sleep)

Comment

YES. While I LOVE the humor of SG-1 and Atlantis, I sometimes feel it detracts from a situation that could be incredible without it. For example: at the end of Continuum, after the huge amazing climax of the film, and they extract Ba'als symbiote, O'Neill and Mitchell make a joke about how simple it was. It totally detracted from the awesome climax that came before it.

Also, at times in Atlantis, especially in the back half of Season 4, it seemed the writers focussed more on what whitty line they could come up with next rather than focussing on writing a decent story-line.

Universe should be darker and more serious. Maintain the humor, but don't forcefully put in the humor for the sake of just having humor.

Comment

Originally posted by bentdog View Post
            No they should not but I think they are going to. Thats what I love about SG, "wink wink we know this is just a tv show, we are just having fun with it." They did say they want it to be darker more like BSG (even if BSG sucks and puts you to sleep)
            Amen, boring. But it is Stargate and Im going to watch it if I have to staple my eyelids open. lol
            "I didnt see you in church last sunday, were you there?"
            "Yes, I was there."
            "Oi, I didn't see you, I was juss worry apout you"
            "Is dat your chob?! You sit and coun da beople in the churg and not in da churg"
            "No I was chus wondring"
            "Maybe if I win the Lotto Ill make heaps of money and puy you a life"

Comment

To me humor is what makes Stargate what it is.

Comment

I think comic releief & some in-eposidoe humor would be great, it has worked well for SG-1 & SGA; although I do agree with BW & RC in that if SGU is going to have a darker tone, it needs to stick to this more 'cerebal' image & tone down the use of funnies to a bare minimum
                Spoiler:
                (for serenity) or the funnies could lead into a more serious moment, like everyone celebrating with a joke only ot have a main charctre shot & killed instantly before they have to gate back to the Destiny, ala Serenity plane crash on that planet in the end

Comment

No. I agree with the others who said that humor is part of what makes Stargate different. Stargate thrives on humor.

A lot of sci-fi and action shows/movies take themselves way too seriously. It becomes laughable because it's so stupid. Or it becomes boring because they are trying too hard to make "tense, gripping drama."

Despite all the speculation about SGU being "darker," BW did say early on that humor was one of the key elements of Stargate and that they intended to preserve that in SGU. I don't expect to see anything as outlandish as "200," but I am confidant that they will keep Stargate's signature humor alive.
                  Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                  Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

I think humor should be involved.

SG-1 had Jack O'Neill as the main comic relief and Daniel and Teal'c as the back up comic reliefs with a smattering of Janet, Carter, Hammon, SGT Siler, SGT Harriman and the list goes on to even include Robert Kinsey as a massive joke in unto it's self.

The episodes that stick out in my mind is Windows of Opportunity and 200.

Then there is Atlantis

You have Sheppard making cracks about McKay, Ronan doing the same. McKay saying stupid crap. Then there is Todd and his wise cracks about feeding. One specifically about the food at the table in the episode The Queen "I hope they prove as delicious as the farmers who grew them." Then there is Radek and some of the cracks he has made about Rodney.

Granted SG-1 has had more chances to make jokes
                    Spins and turns, angles and curves, the shape of dreams half remembered. Slip the surly bonds of Earth and touch the face of perfection. A perfect face, a perfect lace, find a perfect world for the end of Kara Thrace.
                    End of line.

Comment

I think the humour will probably be more like SG-1 and less like Atlantis, more funny awkward moments as apposed to blatant gags.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                        I think the humour will probably be more like SG-1 and less like Atlantis, more funny awkward moments as apposed to blatant gags.
                        I sure hope so. Excepting the singular instance of Todd's handshake joke, Atlantis' post-turkey sandwich humor is really idiotic. Then again, I doubt they could recreate the dry humor of early SG1.

Comment

Just another thought: Humor in Stargate may make it more accessible to others who are not normally into Sci Fi.
                          When i first watched Firefly with my girlfriend i chose to watch the episode "jaynes town" because i thought you humor would act as a bridge in order for her to enjoy the other aspects of the show and i am happy to say it worked pretty well.

Comment

It shouldn't be at all ...less funny or otherwise ...in my humble opinion.

[snip - no politics please]
                            Last edited by Madeleine; 28 October 2008, 12:12 PM.

Comment

I think it should less 'light', but still with humour.

Comment

Working...
                              X